Menu

Vaccinated and Delta Variant

TexasProud

So, help me think through this.

It feels like,  everyone in my sphere said the media was leading with fear, the virus wasn't as bad as people said ( very few instances of bad reactions here. Most people have just had a cold with the original virus), did not wear masks unless required but didn't view masks as from Satan or anything, etc.  They all got vaccinations. None of them were anti-vax.  

So now that they are all vaccinated they are all living their life even though our positivity and cases are doubling every week.  Kids are going to camp and getting Covid and no one is really worried about it. Meetings are held ( pictures on Facebook with no masks), people are taking cruises ( the cruise a fellow praise team member went on out of Galveston now has a report of 6 people with Covid and yes, everyone had to be vaccinated to be on the cruise) going to Disneyworld, holding concerts in our town in indoor locations.  I guess the thinking is, we are vaccinated so even if we get it it won't be bad and we don't need to do anything else.

It feels like we should be cancelling concerts and large gatherings. School is starting next week and the elementary kids had no mask requirement last year at all. And no bad outcomes from that policy. But I feel like Delta should be changing the ballgame for that, but everyone who said it would be a disaster last year was wrong, so why would we be right this time?

I guess is their thinking correct? Should we the vaccinated just be living normally? I mean all of the people I know are vaccinated, so I guess I shouldn't worry about them. ( The few holdouts i knew got the vaccine in the last month partially because of the Delta variant so they could live normally without masks.) Now since our community is only 1/3 vaccinated there are plenty of people I do not know that are not vaccinated if that makes a difference. 

Perhaps locally it wasn't a disaster but 600,000 dead Americans seems like a pretty big disaster to me. So to me, the people who said it would be a disaster were absolutely correct. 

Almost everyone in my home is fully vaccinated. I lived the last few months pretty normally. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that I started consistently wearing a mask out again. That's when I started hearing that even vaccinated people are getting Delta. And I have an unvaccinated 9 year old to watch out for, so I mask up for her. I'm generally a hermit anyway so my socialization hasn't really changed-just wearing a mask when I do go out again. 

• Like 10

I think the reality of delta will soon be unarguable.Â đŸ¥²

We are vaxed and my family have all had an earlier version of covid. We are masking indoors, running a hepa filter at home, and eliminating unnecessary exposure (grocery pick-up etc.). Our city is a bit over 50% vaxed, but some of our circles are substantially more or less than that. 

We have learned the hard way that our family has severe issues from lockdown, so we will continue to do school, church, work, Scouts etc.

I think delta is real and scary, but I have a difficult life right now and do not have emotional energy to stress about what I cannot control. Just doing what I can and taking each day as it comes.

• Like 7

We're all fully vaccinated at my house, and wrestling with the same things right now. 

We had our college boys signed up for in person classes again.....rethinking that, looking at class enrollment levels, etc. One is sticking with it (the classes only have 6 and 10 students, with a max of 20, so should be well spaced). The other is debating, but the in person professor is a better choice; luckily that one is splitting the class into 2 cohorts, so some will come on Tues, some on Thurs. Both will wear their masks in class and sit as distanced as possible, despite our governor not allowing mask mandates. 

I'm debating what protocol to follow for my co-op kids; last year our county mandate exempted all kids under the age of 10, so our co-op did the same.....no county mandates (again, thanks governor) this year, and our co-op families are largely anti-mask, so I'm assuming I'll get a lot of push back if I even try to ask the kids (who were exempt for age last year) to do so in my class. Luckily we meet only once/week, and everyone is really good at staying home if sick. 

As a family, we're reevaluating whether or not to attend a theater event in a few weeks; they will require masks, and have upgraded filtration systems, and.....but we're just not sure. 

All that to say....some people *are* taking it seriously still. It's just not super widespread in our lovely state (the taking it seriously part, the disease is of course rampant despite the deniers). 

• Like 1

Oh, adding -- we're back to masking indoors, we're also limiting what contact we can (switched over to curbside pick up for groceries, may go back to online church b/c our church is dropping the Saturday service, which will further crowd the 2 Sunday services, so we're going to test it out and see how easily we can still social distance while there), we never did resume eating out really. 

We will keep the things we need for mental health (so, letting the college boys decide on in person vs online classes, but keeping the kids' D&D group in person). 

As we did before, we have got to balance mental health with physical; for our family, that's a big factor, honestly. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheReader said:

seriously still. It's just not super widespread in our lovely state (the taking it seriously part, the disease is of course rampant despite the deniers). 

Yes, I know. I was the only one masked in church with the exception of one other couple and the man looked at me and said, "I don't think everyone realizes how serious this Delta variant is."  So I know I am not the only one. Just trying to figure out what to say and who to say it to and if I should say anything at all, or just throw up my hands and try to not worry about it.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

So, help me think through this.

It feels like,  everyone in my sphere said the media was leading with fear, the virus wasn't as bad as people said ( very few instances of bad reactions here. Most people have just had a cold with the original virus), did not wear masks unless required but didn't view masks as from Satan or anything, etc.  They all got vaccinations. None of them were anti-vax.  

So now that they are all vaccinated they are all living their life even though our positivity and cases are doubling every week.  Kids are going to camp and getting Covid and no one is really worried about it. Meetings are held ( pictures on Facebook with no masks), people are taking cruises ( the cruise a fellow praise team member went on out of Galveston now has a report of 6 people with Covid and yes, everyone had to be vaccinated to be on the cruise) going to Disneyworld, holding concerts in our town in indoor locations.  I guess the thinking is, we are vaccinated so even if we get it it won't be bad and we don't need to do anything else.

It feels like we should be cancelling concerts and large gatherings. School is starting next week and the elementary kids had no mask requirement last year at all. And no bad outcomes from that policy. But I feel like Delta should be changing the ballgame for that, but everyone who said it would be a disaster last year was wrong, so why would we be right this time?

I guess is their thinking correct? Should we the vaccinated just be living normally? I mean all of the people I know are vaccinated, so I guess I shouldn't worry about them. ( The few holdouts i knew got the vaccine in the last month partially because of the Delta variant so they could live normally without masks.) Now since our community is only 1/3 vaccinated there are plenty of people I do not know that are not vaccinated if that makes a difference. 

I think this is going to be an ongoing question for everyone, just as it has been for the past year and a half.

Some people will have a higher tolerance for risk than others.

Some people will prioritize physical/mental/social/emotional needs differently than others.

Some people will be more obnoxious about their choices than others. 

There is no single right answer that guarantees health and well-being for any one individual nor any community nor the world at large. 

And that's frustrating, I know.

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think the issue at hand is that the vaccinated can get and spread Delta. If your area is largely unvaccinated, large numbers of those unvaccinated are likely to fall ill, which will overrun the health care systems in your area.  

But they got vaccinated to protect others, but now it feels like I would be telling them you did it for nothing. You can still spread it, so even though you did it to live normal life it was useless because not enough people did it.  

In my corner, I’m seeing a LOT more masking again. Compliance was near 100% when we had a mandate but fell off throughout the summer when it was removed and summer people and tourists returned. The two places I went this past week had 50-70% mask wearing again; by the time school starts back up I expect it will be closer to 90%. People are clearly paying attention to delta here.

Also, our state university system declared last spring that they wouldn’t mandate COVID vaccines until FDA approval. With the delta surge just beginning, they have updated their policy and now will require vaccinations for all students and staff on campus. All over I’m seeing businesses require proof of vaccination, both for employees and for customers. This is a direct response to delta.

• Like 4

We're fully vaccinated too but we are still traveling to see DH and my Dad this summer. It's been two years and he's not getting any younger. After that tho, our travels will be limited. I resumed grocery pick-up and indoor masking. DH will fly to see us vs. us driving down there every other month as planned. FL, Jacksonville in particular, is a shit show and I'm tempted to ask him to do a COVID test before he flies home. I am cautiously optimistic that outdoor sports like cross country will resume. DS needs that. Both of my peeps have fresh masks for school. That's non-negotiable.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

Just now, Sneezyone said:

We're fully vaccinated too but we are still traveling to see DH and my Dad this summer. It's been two years and he's not getting any younger. After that tho, our travels will be limited. I resumed grocery pick-up and indoor masking. DH will fly to see us vs. us driving down there every other month as planned. I am cautiously optimistic that outdoor sports like cross country will resume. DS needs that. Both of my peeps have fresh masks for school. That's non-negotiable.

Yeah, and I get that.  We are traveling next week, but will double mask and other than the plane mask and practice social distancing.

It is the large unmasked groups, concerts, cruises, camps that just seem like are so risky and need to be curtailed until this surge is over. I mean, if we had had 10 youths come down with Covid last summer, our church would have cancelled everything for weeks. Now no activities are being changed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, I know. I was the only one masked in church with the exception of one other couple and the man looked at me and said, "I don't think everyone realizes how serious this Delta variant is."  So I know I am not the only one. Just trying to figure out what to say and who to say it to and if I should say anything at all, or just throw up my hands and try to not worry about it.

I'm not sure who you want to talk to, about what. 

At church? you could certainly speak to/email leadership and sask what their thoughts are, in a way that lets them know you think they ought to reinstitute (if they ever had) mask requirements or things.  For instance, our county is currently at Orange level, and our youth pastor is keeping an eye on it since a lot of the youth are not vaccinated (old enough, yes; chosen to do so, no).  But then if they choose not to do anything, that's that, and all you can really do is change your own behaviors according to your comfort level. Especially if they are still offering an online streaming option, if they were doing that. 

School...? If you have kids in school, sure, email the district. Parents in one of the big districts here are emailing and asking for a virtual option, since the governor has it so that they can't mandate masks. And parents seem reluctant to send kids in a mask if they'll be the only one. So, yes, do that if it applies to you. If not.....what can you do? 

Other stuff, I think it just unfortunately comes down to what you choose to do; all we can really control are our own choices. Which stinks, but.....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

But they got vaccinated to protect others, but now it feels like I would be telling them you did it for nothing. You can still spread it, so even though you did it to live normal life it was useless because not enough people did it.  

They got vaccinated so if they got covid they were much, much, much less likely to become seriously ill or die. It took weight off of the healthcare system. 

We thought it would reduce spread. It doesn’t. Our thinking can change when we know better. This is all still so new we are figuring things out. 

I am explaining it to our kids like the scientific method. We had a theory. We tested it. We got some data. We are revising our theory.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

At church? you could certainly speak to/email leadership and sask what their thoughts are, in a way that lets them know you think they ought to reinstitute (if they ever had) mask requirements or things.  For instance, our county is currently at Orange level, and our youth pastor is keeping an eye on it since a lot of the youth are not vaccinated (old enough, yes; chosen to do so, no).  But then if they choose not to do anything, that's that, and all you can really do is change your own behaviors according to your comfort level. Especially if they are still offering an online streaming option, if they were doing that. 

School...? If you have kids in school, sure, email the district. Parents in one of the big districts here are emailing and asking for a virtual option, since the governor has it so that they can't mandate masks. And parents seem reluctant to send kids in a mask if they'll be the only one. So, yes, do that if it applies to you. If not.....what can you do? 

Other stuff, I think it just unfortunately comes down to what you choose to do; all we can really control are our own choices. Which stinks, but.....

Church leadership has consulted many medical personnel and proceeding according to their advice. Virtual cannot be an option in our district as internet availability is limited in our district. Probably 1/3 or more of the kids do not have internet access.

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, delta can still spread in vaccinated folks, quite different from the original strain. BUT the data clearly shows that vaccinated people who do fall ill are less sick and for less time, and that they shed (are contagious) for less time as well. 

Remember that vaccinations are all about keeping hospitalizations and deaths down, not about never ever getting sick. Unfortunately many parts of this country are experiencing the hospital overwhelm that vaccines are designed to prevent. In areas with high vax rates, the overwhelm isn’t happening. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

They got vaccinated so if they got covid they were much, much, much less likely to become seriously ill or die. It took weight off of the healthcare system. 

We thought it would reduce spread. It doesn’t. Our thinking can change when we know better. This is all still so new we are figuring things out. 

I am explaining it to our kids like the scientific method. We had a theory. We tested it. We got some data. We are revising our theory.

I get that, but that doesn't change the behavior of my neighbors.

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This part. We got the vax because it meant we were so much less likely to die. The rest was a bonus. It turns out the bonus was fools gold. OK. Doesn't change our reasoning for becoming immunized. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Exactly. I find the whole situation very sad, and if it would make any difference, I might say something. But where I am, early on, I was one of the few (and sometimes the only one) in my circles wearing a mask. People are now so entrenched in their beliefs, that my saying something won't convince them. At this point, I'm not even sure that people who they know and love dying will convince them. So I have determined that when people fall ill, I will pray for them and express my love and concern for them, but I will not carry the responsibility of their actions on myself. I am saddened because I am pretty sure that there will be terrible consequences to some people I care about because of their beliefs about covid and vaccines. But I can't change them, and can only show compassion when they suffer the consequences.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Are we more concerned about people feeling frustrated or about potentially saving the lives of others?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Exactly. I find the whole situation very sad, and if it would make any difference, I might say something. But where I am, early on, I was one of the few (and sometimes the only one) in my circles wearing a mask. People are now so entrenched in their beliefs, that my saying something won't convince them. At this point, I'm not even sure that people who they know and love dying will convince them. So I have determined that when people fall ill, I will pray for them and express my love and concern for them, but I will not carry the responsibility of their actions on myself. I am saddened because I am pretty sure that there will be terrible consequences to some people I care about because of their beliefs about covid and vaccines. But I can't change them, and can only show compassion when they suffer the consequences.

Very well said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless they ask, I don’t see a good reason to be telling them anything. You could share that you’re concerned now with the arrival of delta and are doing xyz differently now. Other than that, they at least have protection from serious illness and they’re going to do what they’re going to do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

Unless they ask, I don’t see a good reason to be telling them anything. You could share that you’re concerned now with the arrival of delta and are doing xyz differently now. Other than that, they at least have protection from serious illness and they’re going to do what they’re going to do. 

Agreed. We simply aren’t in control of other people's behaviours(for better or worse).

I really, really like what @Jaybee said about not carrying the responsibility of their own actions upon ourselves. This sentiment might make a good mantra for anyone who is feeling overwhelmed (ie all of us sometimes!). 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

re: the bold, in my experience, you are right. A family member fully believes it was Covid that killed their father......but same family member also believes that masks are irrelevant, Covid is overblown, and vaccines are a big joke and they are firmly in the anti-masker/anti-vaxxer corner. It makes no sense to me at all. 

Re: the final point, yes, unfortunately, that is all we can do.  One of DH's work acquaintances said "at this point, if they still choose to not wear a mask, not get vaccinated, and they catch Covid and die....that's on them, I'm not going to worry about it anymore."  DH said to me "I wish I could be that thoughtless about it, but I can't....."  Compassion is all we can do at this point. So, my unvaxxed neighbors are on their 3rd week in bed from Delta, I continue to drop off meals every 2-3 days so that the kids have something to eat that didn't come out of a box. Because that's what neighbors do. Compassion is all we have. 

Church leadership has consulted many medical personnel and proceeding according to their advice. Virtual cannot be an option in our district as internet availability is limited in our district. Probably 1/3 or more of the kids do not have internet access.

I'm sorry to hear that. 

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Right. We are in the second verse of the original covid song. People don’t want to mask or restrict their behaviors. 

Your OP asked if their thinking is correct. I vote no. 

Yes, this. 

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

And also this. 

I'm still not clear what you are asking about.  All we can do is change our own behaviors according to our own risk assessments. We can't make anyone else change theirs, and it's not our job to bear the weight of the (neighborhood, county, city, state, etc.) unless we are, indeed, the person in charge. 

So, for me, I get to set the guidelines in my classroom at co-op, and will do so. If my co-op directors ask for teacher input on setting the guidelines for our co-op, I can and will voice my thoughts. But beyond that, all I can do is advise my own household. All you can do is advise your own household. Your neighbors, community, etc., unless you are the mayor or otherwise in leadership, have to make their own decisions, you can't make it for them. 

It's frustrating, yes. Sad. Maddening. But all we can each do, is do our part. 

• Like 8

Or they may know and have simply come to a different conclusion.  I am vaxxed, my kids will be when they are able. My mother and most of my siblings are not going to get the vaccine.  I fully understand that Delta is more contagious, but the truth is that the vaccines were only ever to prevent serious illness and death.  We had hoped it would prevent spread and it does to a point, because you’re still less likely to catch it and then less likely to spread it.  But the CDC has sucked at messaging and was unclear, probably just to get people to vaccinate.  There were a lot of people who really believed the vaccine would make them never catch Covid and be unable to spread that, when instead the CDC should have been emphasizing that it would reduce your own personal illness and death. 

That said, in my mind, there is always going to be another variant.  That’s what happens when an illness goes endemic.  Eventually there is very likely to be a variant that can weasel itself around the vaccine; the hope is that by then this is no longer a novel virus and natural immunity would help.   I am not putting our lives on hold once we are all vaccinated, because there will always be another variant, a bad flu strain, another pandemic.  My kids are young and cannot be shut up in the house forever.  Even now we are still going to Disneyworld and to movies and  other places(granted we are at a 2.4% positivity rate in my whole region and 1 confirmed Covid case in my county) because I’m unwilling to put our lives on hold indefinitely.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Agreed. We simply aren’t in control of other people's behaviours(for better or worse).

I really, really like what @Jaybee said about not carrying the responsibility of their own actions upon ourselves. This sentiment might make a good mantra for anyone who is feeling overwhelmed (ie all of us sometimes!). 

Thank you. This realization has helped me a lot, personally. I still feel some burden over people's not believing what I see. And I don't want to have a "told you so" or arrogant attitude. But I can't carry that load of responsibility, either.

ETA: to clarify

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 4

I think we all want to get on with our lives like before. For some of the the vaccinated people, getting Covid will be a mild case and not hospitalized. Having said that, they are probably learning to live life with Covid. It’s a virus, like the flu and want to live with Covid like the way we live with the flu.  They may figure that we can’t eradicate Covid, so let’s learn to live with it.

For some vaccinated people, we still want to stop the spread and don’t want our kids to get Covid. So, we still wear a mask. 

2 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Thank you. This realization has helped me a lot, personally. I still feel some burden over people's not believing what I see. And I don't want to have a "told you so" or arrogant attitude. But I just can't carry that load of responsibility.

This is where I'm at with my Dad and others. I can't/won't care more about your life than you do.

• Like 4

I am getting really tired of all these judgements. For some of us life has to move on Delta or whatever else the next round will bring. For many people concerts are their livelihoods. Music industry has been devastated by the shut downs. Orchestras shattered. So  excuse me if I am no longer willing to shelf myself until the virus disappears. It won’t. So I think vaccinated folks should mask as appropriate and move on with their lives. We are a music family. All vaccinated. Enough is enough. 

• Like 7

We’re all vaccinated here.

Both dc are returning to college campus and in person classes this month. Fortunately, dc’s university is requiring the vaccine and just reinstated a mask mandate for campus. I’m hoping requiring masks and vaccines will keep classes in person the whole year. 

Dh and I are being careful but we’re also still planning our fall vacation that includes seeing his parents. We can only put it off so long as they are in their 80s and really want to see us no matter what. We’re trying to find a balance.

• Like 5

We can mask and move on—I said in my post that that’s largely what our family was doing—but we also can’t turn a blind eye to the fact that the unvaccinated are taking up a large number of ICU beds right now that could otherwise be free.

My dad had a health emergency during a medical procedure last week that led to a week long hospitalization. He is vaccinated and his illness is not covid-related, but his hospital also is over capacity, as are all hospitals within a 6 hour radius of him because he lives in a largely unvaccinated area. My uncle had a stroke last week, also complicated in finding a free bed. People are dying mid-transport or are having life-altering treatment delayed. I *do* get to voice frustration about that. Others’ choices are impacting me and mine.

• Like 5
  • Sad 11

19 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Or they may know and have simply come to a different conclusion.  I am vaxxed, my kids will be when they are able. My mother and most of my siblings are not going to get the vaccine.  I fully understand that Delta is more contagious, but the truth is that the vaccines were only ever to prevent serious illness and death.  We had hoped it would prevent spread and it does to a point, because you’re still less likely to catch it and then less likely to spread it.  But the CDC has sucked at messaging and was unclear, probably just to get people to vaccinate.  There were a lot of people who really believed the vaccine would make them never catch Covid and be unable to spread that, when instead the CDC should have been emphasizing that it would reduce your own personal illness and death. 

That said, in my mind, there is always going to be another variant.  That’s what happens when an illness goes endemic.  Eventually there is very likely to be a variant that can weasel itself around the vaccine; the hope is that by then this is no longer a novel virus and natural immunity would help.   I am not putting our lives on hold once we are all vaccinated, because there will always be another variant, a bad flu strain, another pandemic.  My kids are young and cannot be shut up in the house forever.  Even now we are still going to Disneyworld and to movies and  other places(granted we are at a 2.4% positivity rate in my whole region and 1 confirmed Covid case in my county) because I’m unwilling to put our lives on hold indefinitely.

I agree with this.  I want my younger 3 to be vaccinated now.  We could wait until that happens.  Or this surge is over.  But there is always another variant coming.

A variant worse than delta could be coming soon, Fauci says (msn.com)

When this started it was just 2 weeks.  Then it was next month.  Then it will be better by summer.  Then once fall hits.  Then when winter is over.  When the vaccine comes.  By summer.  

All the people who can be vaccinated are in my house.  The youngers will asap.  But we are going on with life after being locked down at home from March 2020-May 2021.  I wish that we would have done more this summer.  I wish I wouldn't have taken so long to come to where my thoughts are now.  

I don't think that we are going to never get Covid anymore.  I think we will.  I am trying make sure we are in the best position health wise when it happens.   We mask all the time.  All of us who have our vaccines never ever stopped doing that.  But we are going on with life.  Our mental health is important too.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

We’re trying to find a balance.

That's us. We are all vaccinated. If boosters are recommended, we will take them. I am just now starting to wear a mask again in a few places, but probably will not wear one everywhere. We have done some traveling to visit our families, and I am, in fact, flying back home this weekend. One of the reasons I have been masking again is that I don't want covid to prevent me from going home. I am not comfortable in large crowds anyway. So we are doing what we consider to be the most helpful in preventing catching it. But we are not going to quarantine ourselves unless we know we have been exposed. One ds, in particular, will not take precautions, and we know that. So his vaccination will pretty much be it as far as his protection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I agree with this.  I want my younger 3 to be vaccinated now.  We could wait until that happens.  Or this surge is over.  But there is always another variant coming.

A variant worse than delta could be coming soon, Fauci says (msn.com)

When this started it was just 2 weeks.  Then it was next month.  Then it will be better by summer.  Then once fall hits.  Then when winter is over.  When the vaccine comes.  By summer.  

All the people who can be vaccinated are in my house.  The youngers will asap.  But we are going on with life after being locked down at home from March 2020-May 2021.  I wish that we would have done more this summer.  I wish I wouldn't have taken so long to come to where my thoughts are now.  

I don't think that we are going to never get Covid anymore.  I think we will.  I am trying make sure we are in the best position health wise when it happens.   We mask all the time.  All of us who have our vaccines never ever stopped doing that.  But we are going on with life.  Our mental health is important too.

I do want to add that my kids have all tested positive for antibodies. I had Covid and none showed symptoms but they were certainly not kept separate from me(my oldest did cough for two nights, my daughter said she was more tired than normal during that time too).  They mask when we go out to crowded places, but I am probably more open to travel because I think natural immunity is the best we are going to do.  If I really thought we could just avoid Covid, I’d do that.  But I don’t believe we can.  I am just hoping for a combination of vaccines/natural immunity to turn it into the common cold.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Absolutely.  I get that. But what I don't get is that cases and hospitalizations are rising, and we are not changing our behavior at all.  I predict our hospitals will stop "unneeded" medical procedures/surgeries at the hospitals next week..  At least I hope Texas is still doing that once they reach a certain percentage.  So the hospitals are overwhelmed and we continue to have giant gatherings and meeting unmasked.  Going to Walmart unmasked is one thing. Our concert is another. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

That's us. We are all vaccinated. If boosters are recommended, we will take them. I am just now starting to wear a mask again in a few places, but probably will not wear one everywhere. We have done some traveling to visit our families, and I am, in fact, flying back home this weekend. One of the reasons I have been masking again is that I don't want covid to prevent me from going home. I am not comfortable in large crowds anyway. So we are doing what we consider to be the most helpful in preventing catching it. But we are not going to quarantine ourselves unless we know we have been exposed. One ds, in particular, will not take precautions, and we know that. So his vaccination will pretty much be it as far as his protection.

And that feels reasonable to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We can mask and move on—I said in my post that that’s largely what our family was doing—but we also can’t turn a blind eye to the fact that the unvaccinated are taking up a large number of ICU beds right now that could otherwise be free.

My dad had a health emergency during a medical procedure last week that led to a week long hospitalization. He is vaccinated and his illness is not covid-related, but his hospital also is over capacity, as are all hospitals within a 6 hour radius of him because he lives in a largely unvaccinated area. My uncle had a stroke last week, also complicated in finding a free bed. People are dying mid-transport or are having life-altering treatment delayed. I *do* get to voice frustration about that. Others’ choices are impacting me and mine.

This part. It's less about sick-shaming than frustration with the impact the largely stupid decisions of others are having on our lives. I cannot fathom driving us to Florida to see my spouse because Jacksonville is so diseased and deaths are spiking again. I am OK flying to see my Dad in CA, masked of course, and we do have vaccine protection and are less likely to kick the bucket but, damn, it's hard to watch folks willfully clog up the healthcare network with equanimity. If they're comfy with their choices, stop with the deathbed conversions. Just own it. I'd honestly have a lot more respect for that.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Absolutely.  I get that. But what I don't get is that cases and hospitalizations are rising, and we are not changing our behavior at all.  I predict our hospitals will stop "unneeded" medical procedures/surgeries at the hospitals next week..  At least I hope Texas is still doing that once they reach a certain percentage.  So the hospitals are overwhelmed and we continue to have giant gatherings and meeting unmasked.  Going to Walmart unmasked is one thing. Our concert is another. 

I agree that the states that are running out of hospital space should do something at a state level.  But I don't think that they will.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

I get that, but that doesn't change the behavior of my neighbors.

You cannot change the behavior of your neighbors nor can they change your behavior.

I have learned and am trying to teach my kids to stay within the realm of what they can control. They will be happier.

• Like 6

The vaccines don’t last forever.  WHO is asking us to avoid using up vaccines for booster shots.  But we are going to need booster shots.  

Young kids can’t get vaccinated yet.

I know someone whose (grown, 60s) brother could not get vaccinated because he had an adverse reaction to a prior vaccine.  He died of the variant last week.  His wife, who did get vaccinated, still caught it and had to be treated in the hospital rather than at home.  But she recovered.  This variant is bad, and the vaccine does not entirely prevent it.  I don’t want to catch it.

I’m in the fortunate position of being old enough with no kids at home and able to do a great deal of my job remotely to stay pretty aloof, but DH has to physically be on site for much of his job.  He works at a university, and the semester starts next month.  Kids are going to be coming in from all over the place.  I expect exposure.  And there is not a thing I can do about it.

It has been so nice being able to go back to church and take our masks off.  But mine is going on again this week.  I’m avoiding public places again.  Yesterday we went out to lunch, and today I have a business lunch out that I can’t avoid, but after that I’m done for a while again.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am getting really tired of all these judgements. For some of us life has to move on Delta or whatever else the next round will bring. For many people concerts are their livelihoods. Music industry has been devastated by the shut downs. Orchestras shattered. So  excuse me if I am no longer willing to shelf myself until the virus disappears. It won’t. So I think vaccinated folks should mask as appropriate and move on with their lives. We are a music family. All vaccinated. Enough is enough. 

We are a dance family so we have seen the how the shutdowns have affected the arts community. 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We are a dance family so we have seen the how the shutdowns have affected the arts community. 

The thing is, opening theaters and performance halls doesn't mean people are going to flood back. And widespread disease transmission is going to deter attendance. We are a theater going family. In the before times, DH and I loved a good concert. When broadway reopened, I plopped a hefty chunk on primo seats. We haven't and won't attend anything tho unless/until we can manage this disease. NYC seems about the safest option right now because ALL audience members must be masked and show proof of vax to gain admittance. Some states/localities are showing a flat out hostility to making ANY effort to do just that. So, yeah, as a performer...perform away...but where's the audience gonna come from (not just now, but in the future if they literally die off)?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The thing is, opening theaters and performance halls doesn't mean people are going to flood back. And widespread disease transmission is going to deter attendance. We are a theater going family. In the before times, DH and I loved a good concert. When broadway reopened, I plopped a hefty chunk on primo seats. We haven't and won't attend anything tho unless/until we can manage this disease. NYC seems about the safest option right now because ALL audience members must be masked and show proof of tax to gain admittance. Some states/localities are showing a flat out hostility to making ANY effort to do just that. So, yeah, as a performer...perform away...where's the audience gonna come from (not just now, but in the future if they literally die off)

Oh I agree with you on that.  I am not comfortable going to an indoors performance now.  But some people are.  I not sure what is a good idea for these shows to do during this time.  Only outdoor events?  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh I agree with you on that.  I am not comfortable going to an indoors performance now.  But some people are.  I not sure what is a good idea for these shows to do during this time.  Only outdoor events?  

Shakespeare in the park would be awesome, weather permitting. I am jaded by what's happening in FL tho. The Governor is flipping nuts and the people are marching like lemmings to their deaths. Does the well of sympathy never run dry? And, for reference, this is what's going on down there. Masks are now mandated on base too. https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/florida-hospital-association-official-calls-jacksonville-epicenter-of-pandemic-in-florida/77-39d9d0c6-4a41-41cf-9be0-a32de4927801

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 5

52 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I get that. My daughter is a musical theater major. I am a former music teacher. I  understand. Believe me, my daughter wants a normal college theater experience.  Her last musical was November 2019.  Not being able to participate in choir has devastated me.  And I was ok with it reopening April though last week.  But the numbers have changed.  We cannot just blithely ignore the new numbers. 

And to be honest, I am angry. If by April 90 percent of the nation had vaccinated. ( Figure 10 percent cannot for one reason or another.) We wouldn't be here. I do not expect it to disappear. I was ok with the numbers in May and June and "lived" life. I didn't do choir then because I was out of town too much.  But the numbers are critical. A concert with a 26 percent positivity rate and rates in the 50's per 100,000 is nuts, especially when there has been a breakout at the place holding the concert.  Now if positivity is 4 percent and they hold a concert indoors with seating that is spaced out with people wearing masks. Great.  But here with no masks and no social distancing feels nuts.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 5

I feel like the Delta variant is Jaws 2 - just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. I'm vaccinated, immune compromised, masking but now have dialed back summer outing plans to visiting other vaccinated people in their homes (like 1x/month), running minimal errands. I've eaten in a restaurant once since March of 2020 and avoid large crowds. The vaccination rate in my county is 22%. 

I cannot control my city. I'm frustrated but not surprised. I can only do what I can do. 

• Like 4