Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

1 hour ago, Drama Llama said:

I am a little confused as to why Rhode Island and Delaware, both major beach vacation destinations, are "where you never go".

Well, I think everything is based on perspective. I would think they are major beach destinations only for those in the NE. My guess is everyone out west would not think Rhode Island when they decide to visit a beach. 

I personally have zero relatives in any of the light blue states and I find New Mexico has beautiful wilderness but I still find it kind of funny. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

I am a little confused as to why Rhode Island and Delaware, both major beach vacation destinations, are "where you never go".

Michigan is my beach destination 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

these are the same people saying they only go to Washington because their family goes there - for some reason.

Lots of nature.  Lots.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

IMG_2923.jpeg

She's not wrong

1 hour ago, Katy said:

image.png.e3a154b5c7167d41713d887e0063ec32.png

1dgs had a best friend named Audrey.  She moved to another state.  One day I had him with me at the children's section of the science museum, and there was a little girl named Audrey.  She was his best friend.  He followed her around the section and played with her the entire time.  He didn't want to leave because Audrey was there.   I told the dad why he was so enthralled with his daughter.  They had to leave too - so it worked out.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

IMG_2899.jpeg

I bought 1ds a cashmere jacket (I bought it at marshall's for a fraction of it's dept store sale price) for "business casual" . . he didn't want it.  every other adult male (dh, 2ds, dsil) in the family wanted it - but it didn't fit them.
I ended up giving it to 2dd (she's tall with long arms, and very broad shoulders. she planned to take it to a tailer to have it more fitted for her).  First she complained the outside pockets didn't open - then she discovered all the inside pockets and wanted to know why women's stuff couldn't have pockets like those.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

IMG_2915.jpeg

we ask: do you want to clean it?

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

One of my favorite translations is the bat in Russian.  It becomes "flying mouse", which is kind of adorable.

Flittermouse is an archaic English word for bat.

• Like 4

The flying-mouse posts made me curious about the etymology of the word bat, and I love the leather-flapper derivation:

"1570s, a dialectal alteration of Middle English bakke (early 14c.), which is probably related to Old Swedish natbakka, Old Danish nathbakkæ "night bat," and Old Norse leðrblaka "bat," literally "leather flapper," from Proto-Germanic *blak-, from PIE root *bhlag- "to strike" (see flagellum).

If so, the original sense of the animal name likely was "flapper." The shift from -k- to -t- may have come through confusion of bakke with Latin blatta "moth, nocturnal insect."

The Old English word for the animal was hreremus, from hreran "to shake" (see rare (adj.2)), and rattle-mouse, an old dialectal word for "bat," is attested from late 16c. Flitter-mouse (1540s) occasionally is used in English (with variants flinder-mouse, flicker-mouse) in imitation of German fledermaus "bat," from Old High German fledaron "to flutter."

https://www.etymonline.com/word/bat 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

IMG_6084.jpeg

2sil . . . .
we live near Seattle. You know, the biggest city/metro in Washington - we were in ILLINOIS touring LDS history sites.   While waiting for a tour to start started talking with another family.  They . . were waiting for another part of their extended group that were having trouble with their RV.  They were sure we must know their relatives because we were all from Washington . .  No, it's a big area, oh - we're from two different cities and the way congregations are divided, plus different school districts, different cities, etc. - our paths would never cross, and no we won't know them.

Then the gave the name . . . .  *one* of 2sil's bffs . . . . . .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

IMG_6084.jpeg

My dad

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2sil . . . .
we live near Seattle. You know, the biggest city/metro in Washington - we were in ILLINOIS touring LDS history sites.   While waiting for a tour to start started talking with another family.  They . . were waiting for another part of their extended group that were having trouble with their RV.  They were sure we must know their relatives because we were all from Washington . .  No, it's a big area, oh - we're from two different cities and the way congregations are divided, plus different school districts, different cities, etc. - our paths would never cross, and no we won't know them.

Then the gave the name . . . .  *one* of 2sil's bffs . . . . . .  

My parents on vacation or pretty much anywhere. They are from a tiny town but somehow bump into people they know when on trips.

Six degrees of separation and all that

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Terabith said:

IMG_5282.jpeg

will he survive?
we were feeding a lone duck - and wanted to see how it would do with a cocktail bagel.  The LONE duck was taking very dainty little bites . . . then along came a seagull and swallowed it down in one gulp.

As Ivar Haglund would say "Seagulls are such dainty eaters".  (He was a very beloved Seattle icon in his day. as a joke he ran for port commissioner - and after being elected was mad when he found out he actually had to attend the meetings.) - at the fish bar on the waterfront there's a statue of him feeding seagulls.  they will sit and stare at you waiting for you to throw fries.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I should have started this before - now I have to go back.  We all (us locals) hope this ends well, or the memes won't be funny - but . . . 
there's a Zebra on the loose in a town east of Seattle. (it escaped its trailer)  It's been spotted, so is still alive so far as we know.  but, there are some very good memes regarding its travels. . . 

image.thumb.jpeg.211adb6c59ef5a30b216703f76d36abf.jpeg

• Like 2