Jump to content

Menu

At what point would you lock down again?


Recommended Posts

Our neighbor-friends are both in the hospital with Covid. They’ve each been at the ER three times recently. Ambulance took her last night, took him this morning. They have two small children, and a grandma is watching them. 

It just stinks to see both parents hit hard. 

Getting together a kids’ care package today. Snacks and small toys. 

We got together with oldest son and brand new DIL over the weekend. It was absolutely glorious to hang out outside. We masked in the house, and they stayed in our quarantine ready basement. I was kind of hating all the precautions and second-guessing it, but everyone wanted to be careful of unvaxxed 10 yr old. Now I’m glad we were careful. 
 

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, Not_a_Number said:

I'd tend to assume both are positive, honestly?? Just that the test isn't catching it... 

yeah, we all kind of are assuming that. My sister, fully vaxxed is also sick now. She says, "everything hurts, particularly her skin". She has no fever, but the kids do still. She said she feels like a wuss cause they are taking care of her as much as she is of them. But yeah, sucks. 

  • Sad 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

yeah, we all kind of are assuming that. My sister, fully vaxxed is also sick now. She says, "everything hurts, particularly her skin". She has no fever, but the kids do still. She said she feels like a wuss cause they are taking care of her as much as she is of them. But yeah, sucks. 

Remind me--does she have an autoimmune disease or some kind of immune deficiency? I remember you being concerned about her getting COVID before because she works in a school (or am I getting your family members mixed up?).  I am really curious as to how it will work with getting breakthrough COVID with an autoimmune

Edited by cintinative
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Remind me--does she have an autoimmune disease or some kind of immune deficiency? I remember you being concerned about her getting COVID before because she works in a school (or am I getting your family members mixed up?).  I am really curious as to how it will work with getting breakthrough COVID with an autoimmune

She has asthma, but no autoimmune issues. My son has two autoimmune diseases which is probably where you were remembering it from. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

She has asthma, but no autoimmune issues. My son has two autoimmune diseases which is probably where you were remembering it from. 

Yes, I am sure that was it. Three of us have autoimmunes and the other has asthma so we have some overlap with both situations.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

She has asthma, but no autoimmune issues. My son has two autoimmune diseases which is probably where you were remembering it from. 

I saw something yesterday showing having asthma was associated with a decreased risk of hospitalization in breakthrough cases. The hypothesis was that it may be due to the use of steroid inhalers.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

I saw something yesterday showing having asthma was associated with a decreased risk of hospitalization in breakthrough cases. The hypothesis was that it may be due to the use of steroid inhalers.

Ya this was talked about a long time ago (not about breakthrough cases specifically), but with the same hypothesis. The trouble is, there are lots of asthmatics not on daily steroids, myself and my son included. There was also another Danish? study about women and asthma. It was back in the spring. The basic conclusion, if I remember correctly, was that women over 40 with asthma were more likely to need hospitalization. I wonder if the breakthrough cases vs unvaccinated cases make a difference on that. The study was around the time that the CDC added asthma to the high risk list, so pre-delta and pre-waning vaccines.  I am wondering if they will add asthma to the high risk list again for boosters or not.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Schools have reopened here with no huge waves. Looks like I was wrong about that, yay! 🙂 

We are starting school waves here. 19 outbreaks so far, four in my county. Mask mandates are few and far between. Sigh.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

I saw something yesterday showing having asthma was associated with a decreased risk of hospitalization in breakthrough cases. The hypothesis was that it may be due to the use of steroid inhalers.

 

37 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

Ya this was talked about a long time ago (not about breakthrough cases specifically), but with the same hypothesis. The trouble is, there are lots of asthmatics not on daily steroids, myself and my son included. There was also another Danish? study about women and asthma. It was back in the spring. The basic conclusion, if I remember correctly, was that women over 40 with asthma were more likely to need hospitalization. I wonder if the breakthrough cases vs unvaccinated cases make a difference on that. The study was around the time that the CDC added asthma to the high risk list, so pre-delta and pre-waning vaccines.  I am wondering if they will add asthma to the high risk list again for boosters or not.  

She is not on daily meds, from what I recall. They have more of a reactive asthma that is triggered by upper respiratory infections I think. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

 

She is not on daily meds, from what I recall. They have more of a reactive asthma that is triggered by upper respiratory infections I think. 

This is the same for my son and I. Mostly reactive type triggered by high stress or illness. We have breakthrough type inhalers, but they are not steroid ones. COVID, according to our drs, would absolutely do a number on us with our type of asthma. I am sure this is not rare. So while it is great that some asthmatics will be covered by their maintenance steroid inhalers, there are a lot of asthmatics that either do not have this type of inhaler or are one of the unfortunates that have unmanaged asthma. With our medical system and costs, there are a lot of these. Inhalers are expensive. I really hope that asthma is included on the high risk list for boosters.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have reactive asthma here, too. Ironically, DS only just got off maintenance meds two years ago. We were so happy then. Now it’s not such a good thing. DD and I both have reactive asthma and only use inhalers when sick now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Schools have reopened here with no huge waves. Looks like I was wrong about that, yay! 🙂 

Here in upstate NY we were open for 2 days before my daughters class was quarantined. We are now at the 3 week mark and our whole school building is closed due to so many cases. All 3 of my children are now sick and waiting for test results.

This is with masks required.… 

the big free walk in testing place that was open last year is closed now & the little places can’t keep up- results are taking at least 5 days.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

We have reactive asthma here, too. Ironically, DS only just got off maintenance meds two years ago. We were so happy then. Now it’s not such a good thing. DD and I both have reactive asthma and only use inhalers when sick now.

 

3 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

This is the same for my son and I. Mostly reactive type triggered by high stress or illness. We have breakthrough type inhalers, but they are not steroid ones. COVID, according to our drs, would absolutely do a number on us with our type of asthma. I am sure this is not rare. So while it is great that some asthmatics will be covered by their maintenance steroid inhalers, there are a lot of asthmatics that either do not have this type of inhaler or are one of the unfortunates that have unmanaged asthma. With our medical system and costs, there are a lot of these. Inhalers are expensive. I really hope that asthma is included on the high risk list for boosters.

Yeah, people don't ever think of that kind of asthma. She and I both had it as kids, but I outgrew mine. Had a period in my twenties where I needed a rescue inhaler again a few times, but not since then. I can still remember that feeling though! And they didn't have nebulizers when I had it, so I would get rushed to the doctor to get a shot in the butt of epinepherine. By my sister's time they had nebulizers. 

She outgrew it too...but it's been back the last few years. My guess is her kids getting sick a lot (they get sick a LOT) exposed her so much her lungs got resensitized. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what kind of asthma my DS14 has. When he was young he was on maintenance and rescue medicine via a nebulizer, and then we graduated to the same via inhalers with the spacer, and then to just albuterol as needed. He generally only needs it four or so times per year but it is not necessarily when he is sick. Sometimes it correlates with activity.  I don't even think we have a maintenance inhaler that isn't expired. They are so pricey--probably $400 or more. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how dh's asthma would be classified, but he has both rescue and steroid inhalers. He might not need either one for months, but with URIs, allergies, or cold weather he may need to resume for a few weeks at a time. Before we got a handle on his allergens, he was using inhalers (not sure which one(s) daily. 

For those who don't have steroid inhalers, could it be worth checking with your pulmonologist to see if a prescription for use as needed might have a place in your treatment plan, in the age of Covid?

ETA: I was especially worried about dh early in the pandemic, and had him get refills for both inhalers, before the news that people with asthma were generally not considered higher risk. Then when there were supply issues with steroid inhalers I was really glad to have them in the house. 

 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Here in upstate NY we were open for 2 days before my daughters class was quarantined. We are now at the 3 week mark and our whole school building is closed due to so many cases. All 3 of my children are now sick and waiting for test results.

This is with masks required.… 

the big free walk in testing place that was open last year is closed now & the little places can’t keep up- results are taking at least 5 days.

Eeeeeek. Geez. OK, now I'm worried. 

I am actually not following the NYC school numbers that closely. But I know that the overall Manhattan numbers are staying relatively steady, and I know that the SF school system hasn't had major issues. So that's why I said that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Schools have reopened here with no huge waves. Looks like I was wrong about that, yay! 🙂 

We are doing fine here just north of NYC.  There are a handful of cases and overall numbers are falling. 

 

Eta: a handful of cases in the schools

Edited by freesia
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, freesia said:

We are doing fine here just north of NYC.  There are a handful of cases and overall numbers are falling. 

Eta: a handful of cases in the schools

Yeah, I haven't seen a spike here, either. 

I'm curious how long that lasts, though. It's possible this works fine with low levels of community transmission but becomes a disaster with higher ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I haven't seen a spike here, either. 

I'm curious how long that lasts, though. It's possible this works fine with low levels of community transmission but becomes a disaster with higher ones. 

Yes, I’d imagine so. But I’m feeling encouraged. The numbers are actually going down even with school and Labor Day. Our town is like half what it was a couple of weeks ago. Masking is up in general, but kids are definitely not masking for soccer and outside play. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, freesia said:

Yes, I’d imagine so. But I’m feeling encouraged. The numbers are actually going down even with school and Labor Day. Our town is like half what it was a couple of weeks ago. Masking is up in general, but kids are definitely not masking for soccer and outside play. 

Yeah, I'm also feeling encouraged!! I felt QUITE worried before school started, as you all know. I'm delighted to be wrong here. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I haven't seen a spike here, either. 

I'm curious how long that lasts, though. It's possible this works fine with low levels of community transmission but becomes a disaster with higher ones. 

During the summer lull (late June -early July) 7 day average daily infection rate in New York City was about 180.

Now the rate is around 1900.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

During the summer lull (late June -early July) 7 day average daily infection rate was about 180.

Now the rate is around 1900.

Bill

Well, yes, we had a HUGE increase when Delta hit, too. But it hasn't spiked further with school opening, and I thought it would. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, freesia said:

Yes, I’d imagine so. But I’m feeling encouraged. The numbers are actually going down even with school and Labor Day. Our town is like half what it was a couple of weeks ago. Masking is up in general, but kids are definitely not masking for soccer and outside play. 

Our numbers have started to go down as well (in my county at least). It is a great  relief. I am so hopeful that the trend will continue!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

We haven't had an increase with schools opening. It's been holding steady. Almost like masks actually work really well.

That’s what I was thinking today. I expected masks to continue to help a whole lot, but with Delta, I thought it still wouldn’t be enough to keep outbreaks down. So far, it’s looking like places with strong mask mandates in their schools are doing quite well, especially when coupled with high vaccination rates in the community.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

That’s what I was thinking today. I expected masks to continue to help a whole lot, but with Delta, I thought it still wouldn’t be enough to keep outbreaks down. So far, it’s looking like places with strong mask mandates in their schools are doing quite well, especially when coupled with high vaccination rates in the community.

Yeah, I'm totally willing to eat humble pie on this one 😄 . I was wrong. I'm glad. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, KSera said:

That’s what I was thinking today. I expected masks to continue to help a whole lot, but with Delta, I thought it still wouldn’t be enough to keep outbreaks down. So far, it’s looking like places with strong mask mandates in their schools are doing quite well, especially when coupled with high vaccination rates in the community.

We don't have strong Vax rates and our numbers are not great overall but school isn't making it worse because masking is required.  Tied to funding level required.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

For those with mask mandates in schools, does this include K-6?

We are returning to face to face teaching in four weeks, and masks are not mandated for primary school. 

Yes. Its a statewide policy for California 

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/K-12-Guidance-2021-22-School-Year.aspx

“Safety Measures for K-12 Schools

1. Masks 

a. Masks are optional outdoors for all in K-12 school settings.

b. K-12 students are required to mask indoors, with exemptions per CDPH face mask guidance.   Adults in K-12 school settings are required to mask when sharing indoor spaces with students.  

c. Persons exempted from wearing a face covering due to a medical condition, must wear a non-restrictive alternative, such as a face shield with a drape on the bottom edge, as long as their condition permits it.

d. Schools must develop and implement local protocols to provide a face covering to students who inadvertently fail to bring a face covering to school to prevent unnecessary exclusions.

e. Consistent with guidance from the 2020-21 school year, schools must develop and implement local protocols to enforce the mask requirements. Additionally, schools should offer alternative educational opportunities for students who are excluded from campus because they will not wear a face covering. Note: Public schools should be aware of the requirements in AB 130 to offer independent study programs for the 2021-22 school year. 

f. In limited situations where a face covering cannot be used for pedagogical or developmental reasons, (e.g., communicating or assisting young children or those with special needs) a face shield with a drape (per CDPH guidelines) can be used instead of a face covering while in the classroom as long as the wearer maintains physical distance from others. Staff must return to wearing a face covering outside of the classroom. ”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

For those with mask mandates in schools, does this include K-6?

We are returning to face to face teaching in four weeks, and masks are not mandated for primary school. 

In my state, it includes primary grades.  It hasn't been an issue for any of the young children in my neighborhood.  (There are some exceptions for those with disabilities who cannot safely wear a mask.) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well, yes, we had a HUGE increase when Delta hit, too. But it hasn't spiked further with school opening, and I thought it would. 

Cases in US and worldwide seem to be fairly consistently trending down.  I expect there will be another winter spike but hopefully not as bad as last year. Strangely deaths in US are still trending upward.  I know there is a lag with deaths but it seems more pronounced this time.

Edited by Ausmumof3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

For those with mask mandates in schools, does this include K-6?

We are returning to face to face teaching in four weeks, and masks are not mandated for primary school. 

Here it includes child care centers and all children ages 2 and up (or over 2, not 100% sure which).   We have a new surge of "homeschoolers" pulling their kids from preschool over it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

For those with mask mandates in schools, does this include K-6?

We are returning to face to face teaching in four weeks, and masks are not mandated for primary school. 

Here, masking in schools is compulsory starting in grade 1, province-wide.  Some school boards have added mask mandates for kindy age also (my board has done this, as I think most have).  The mask mandate for general public places is age 2 and up.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Cases in US and worldwide seem to be fairly consistently trending down.  I expect there will be another winter spike but hopefully not as bad as last year. Strangely deaths in US are still trending upward.  I know there is a lag with deaths but it seems more pronounced this time.

This is something about the pandemic that I will never completely understand. When things peak in another state, like FL, and we are trailing behind them, I expect that our curve will peak also but at a later date, but often times it is not the kind of peak that I expect.  Our hospital numbers continue to creep up to very close to our worst level from last winter but our case numbers aren't our worst.  I am wondering (lately) if people are not getting tested and/or are using home kits. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Cases in US and worldwide seem to be fairly consistently trending down.  I expect there will be another winter spike but hopefully not as bad as last year. Strangely deaths in US are still trending upward.  I know there is a lag with deaths but it seems more pronounced this time.

I no longer rely on cases, for the US at least. In some states, it's difficult to get testing done (wait times, limited locations, etc), and I think pandemic fatigue & an unwillingness on the part of some to test positive ("I don't want to be part of a government statistic" is a phrase I've heard numerous times) means fewer # of people are testing, even when they have symptoms....which also means that they are often much sicker by the time they seek medical help, which contributes to higher deaths. Plus, Delta doesn't f*ck around. It can chew through people's lungs in less than a week and is FAR less forgiving than Alpha.

ETA: Even with all the above, cases are still trending up in some states, and it's not clear in the states where cases are dropping, whether the trend will last. I do still watch the hospitalization numbers.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 8:57 PM, KSera said:

It really is so sad, because I know he and others like him really do (did) believe that Covid is not a risk to them and that the shot would be somehow worse. And now he’s gone, like so many others. I have heard many people say exactly the same he did (including here on this board), that they feel they are not at risk for severe Covid. I always wonder why some people think they are bullet proof when it’s clear at this point there is no group that is naturally immune to serious sequlae or death from this disease. 

Well there is a group that is immune to bad COVID but I really doubt almost anyone knows if they are in that group--- it has to do with genetics.  Genetic researchers have found a few genes that make COVID especially bad and a few genes that make getting symptomatic COVID a lot less likely.  But again, I do not believe that the people who claim they aren't going to get bad COVID have any idea whether they have good COVID genes, bad COVID genes or just no genes that confer any danger or any resistance to COVID at all.  

It is especially tragic that men claim they are not at risk.  The statistics bear out that being a male, and I mean being born a male-regardless of what gender that person adopts,  is a major health risk for COVID.  For whatever reason,  CDC and other health officials keep ignoring that elephant in the room.  And I do not know if males or females are more likely to be vaccine refusers but the male vaccine refusers are making the loudest outcries.  

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, kokotg said:

Well, I'd love to see an experiment where we actually did everything we could reasonably do to make schools safe, and I definitely haven't seen that--particularly this year--where I am. Of course, schools were never closed for a year here, either. But having covid rip through schools uncontrolled is really disruptive and overtaxes local health care systems at best (i.e. in the absence of kids dying or having bad long term health outcomes). It makes no sense at all not to do what we can to keep spread low. 

School systems got a lot of money-  and I really mean tons of money, like high hundreds of millions, from the feds and a lot of them have no idea of what to do with the money.  What all of them should be doing is greatly improving ventilation-- but in my area, I have heard only one school district that is doing this and it isn't mine.  In Alabama, by far the largest portion of the state budget is for schools.  For whatever incentive reasons or tax reasons or ????, Al has the biggest school building funds that I have ever seen in any state,  I have lived in a number of states and traveled to all states except HI and AK,  and never seen the proportion of brand new school buildings like here in AL,  All the school districts seem to keep replacing old school buildings with new ones.  Unfortunately for the children, almost all of the new school buildings have few windows (because our normal, greatest natural threat is felt to be tornados, not COVID,.  however, in reality, infectious diseases do actually kill more students than tornados).  And that gets to a point that people who are familiar with how statistics and studies are used by people know very well-- people remember the school that was destroyed and the students that died there and tornados make a much bigger impression of threat, than the occasional death of students from meningitis, flu, RSV, etc.  But buildings can be built and retrofitted with good ventilation systems even if the windows are sparse and can't be opened.  After all, airplanes do have windows but those don't open and yet, after COVID and the steps they have taken, they have one of the very best inside environments with regards to airborne infectious diseases which are most of the ways we get sick.  One school district in my viewing area did decide to use their jackpot of money mostly to improve ventilation.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cintinative said:

So @ktgrok what is this nonsense about the new FL surgeon general  (a doctor.?) thinking the COVID vaccine is “nothing special”? I swear sometimes I don’t understand who DeSantis’ target audience is. 

Ugh, I saw that yesterday and lamented having to move into this mess! 

Apparently he was a part of America’s Frontline Drs, and signed the Great Barrington Declaration. He taught at UCLA. 

He hasn’t been confirmed yet but still issued an emergency order that schools do not have to quarantine asymptomatic close contacts; it’s up to parents to do that, and if they decide to keep them home it’s only for 7 days. Also no tests required unless they develop symptoms. Also reinforced that it’s parents choice whether to mask their kids. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are now averaging about 2500-3000 cases per day. 23 school districts with outbreaks. Four districts in my county have outbreaks, but the local district still refuses to force masks. I think it is because some of the parents physically threatened the school board, "We will be waiting by your cars and you will pay" was the terminology. I used to be under the impression that publicly made threats such as this were taken seriously by law enforcement, but I was entirely WRONG about that. 

Our vaccination rate for this county is 39% fully vaxed, and 43% with one shot. Not high enough to do diddly squat. the unvaxers are not going to be happy campers if they they get it and need the hospital. The stitch and ditch can do nothing for them. The god so city hospitals they normally turf everyone to have said they are not going to take covid patients from our county. The county medical director has begun calling around to find out where they can send people once the sh#t hits the fan. I think this time it is very possible no one will. Michigan is on an upswing and if the city hospitals get hammered, since it is the rural areas with bizarrely low vax rates, I think they will stop taking transfers from the rural areas. The local stitch and ditch hospital morgue has only two refrigerator drawers/cubicles. I sent a letter to the editor of the local newspaper suggesting that the county commissioners request a couple of morgue trucks from the national guard now while there is time so they don't have bodies stacked on the sidewalks. I can guarantee you that they aren't going to publish that in the next issue!

Meanwhile, in the publicly funded human zoo known as "school", a very bad label for the institution I might add, they never were able to hire staff and faculty, so the kids at the elementary school are still spending most of the day, shoulder to shoulder, in th gym watching videos, and being taken out in groups for 10-15 minute sessions of math, reading, and LA. All the written work is sent home because they can't move desks into the gym and have enough room for all the kids. There is no pretense of teaching social studies, science, art, etc. They claim they have music everyday because they sing two songs in the morning. This does not bother the parents just so long as their are no masks.

It is not possible to reason with such insanity. At this point, all I can do is take care of my own family.

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I no longer rely on cases, for the US at least. In some states, it's difficult to get testing done (wait times, limited locations, etc), and I think pandemic fatigue & an unwillingness on the part of some to test positive ("I don't want to be part of a government statistic" is a phrase I've heard numerous times) means fewer # of people are testing, even when they have symptoms....which also means that they are often much sicker by the time they seek medical help, which contributes to higher deaths. Plus, Delta doesn't f*ck around. It can chew through people's lungs in less than a week and is FAR less forgiving than Alpha.

ETA: Even with all the above, cases are still trending up in some states, and it's not clear in the states where cases are dropping, whether the trend will last. I do still watch the hospitalization numbers.

I expect a really serious spike in October or November if we keep dallying on the boosters. Now, I could be wrong. I was wrong about schools. I keep being wrong about schools. But I have pretty serious concerns. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cintinative said:

So @ktgrok what is this nonsense about the new FL surgeon general  (a doctor.?) thinking the COVID vaccine is “nothing special”? I swear sometimes I don’t understand who DeSantis’ target audience is. 

He's a political appointee. It's all good old boy politics in florida. Well, there is a weird strain of pay for play in Palm Beach County that isn't really good old boy as much as it's own version of House of Cards, but Palm Beach County is really just South New York, lol. (t lived almost my whole life there until I married DH)

As for his target audience, he wants to be President, and is targeting Trump supporters across the country. Not just the ones here, but all over. And the ones not here can talk about how bold DeathSantis is without actually having to live with the consequences of his idiocy. 

Or, he really is working for Wolfram and Hart, and trying to move up the demonic ladder. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We are now averaging about 2500-3000 cases per day. 23 school districts with outbreaks. Four districts in my county have outbreaks, but the local district still refuses to force masks. I think it is because some of the parents physically threatened the school board, "We will be waiting by your cars and you will pay" was the terminology. I used to be under the impression that publicly made threats such as this were taken seriously by law enforcement, but I was entirely WRONG about that. 

Our vaccination rate for this county is 39% fully vaxed, and 43% with one shot. Not high enough to do diddly squat. the unvaxers are not going to be happy campers if they they get it and need the hospital. The stitch and ditch can do nothing for them. The god so city hospitals they normally turf everyone to have said they are not going to take covid patients from our county. The county medical director has begun calling around to find out where they can send people once the sh#t hits the fan. I think this time it is very possible no one will. Michigan is on an upswing and if the city hospitals get hammered, since it is the rural areas with bizarrely low vax rates, I think they will stop taking transfers from the rural areas. The local stitch and ditch hospital morgue has only two refrigerator drawers/cubicles. I sent a letter to the editor of the local newspaper suggesting that the county commissioners request a couple of morgue trucks from the national guard now while there is time so they don't have bodies stacked on the sidewalks. I can guarantee you that they aren't going to publish that in the next issue!

Meanwhile, in the publicly funded human zoo known as "school", a very bad label for the institution I might add, they never were able to hire staff and faculty, so the kids at the elementary school are still spending most of the day, shoulder to shoulder, in th gym watching videos, and being taken out in groups for 10-15 minute sessions of math, reading, and LA. All the written work is sent home because they can't move desks into the gym and have enough room for all the kids. There is no pretense of teaching social studies, science, art, etc. They claim they have music everyday because they sing two songs in the morning. This does not bother the parents just so long as their are no masks.

It is not possible to reason with such insanity. At this point, all I can do is take care of my own family.

That sounds... I don't even think I have words for how it sounds. That's awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, KSera said:

That’s what I was thinking today. I expected masks to continue to help a whole lot, but with Delta, I thought it still wouldn’t be enough to keep outbreaks down. So far, it’s looking like places with strong mask mandates in their schools are doing quite well, especially when coupled with high vaccination rates in the community.

Here numbers are definitely lower in districts with mask mandates, but they're much higher than they were last year (and much higher than the overall community numbers, which was never true in most counties with mask mandates last year). I would guess it's because we had higher community numbers to start with and relatively low vaccination rates, and they were already rising before school started and because even in districts with mask mandates precautions overall are much less stringent than in much of the country and much less stringent than last year. 

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...