Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

Closer, ever closer, for us.  Dd's first DE college class had the one case on campus though all students and prof were masked, there's excellent ventilation, and they are all required to be vaccinated. 

I'm trying to see where I can "balance the budget" on our exposure to compensate for her taking on-campus classes, but we don't do anything other than run our business and go to the store.

Suddenly more guests are walking in unmasked - why now?  Two weeks ago we had easy, excellent compliance from the traveling public. I really do not understand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

There are so many things I don't understand.   

Why are governors still actively fighting court cases that support mask mandates?   If they are fighting them for political points, doesn't that let them off the hook?   They tried, but those awful liberals pushed them through.    Can that many people really believe masks don't make any difference?  As their states are getting slammed?

I do think your average person isn't keeping up on the latest information.  I'm still hearing talking points that were proven wrong back in January.  

• Like 7

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Drastic shift for pandemic preparedness: But something is missing - by Katelyn Jetelina - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

Diseases are jumping from animals-to-humans. With climate change, people are moving into areas that have never been inhabited before; animals, like mosquitos, are also shifting. An example is unfolding in real time. An outbreak of Nipah virus has caused hundreds to quarantine after a 12-year old died of the disease on Sept 5, 2021 in India. Nipah virus jumps from animals-to-humans, such as bats or pigs, and then is easily transmitted human-to-human. Nipah virus has a 45-75% mortality rate.

Humans easily spread the virus. Due to globalization, humans are able to travel more than ever, so viruses will be introduced in places that they’ve never been. We just saw this on July 15, 2021 when a case of Monkeypox from Nigeria landed in Dallas. But thanks to mask mandates on the plane and airports, a potentially severe outbreak was 100% prevented.

There’s no question that we will have another pandemic in coming years.

I agree, and it will be way worse than this one. I told dh the other day that we need to get used to the idea of hunkering down with our mothers and adult kids, using delivery, enjoying mother nature away from groups, masking in public places, and watching our favorite orchestras on livestream because about the time we maybe, just maybe, manage to tamp down covid or it mutates to a much less dangerous form, another one is going to pop up.

Masking in public may be a permanent thing for those that want to protect their loved ones, and many of us will have to make permanent decisions about whom to shut out of our lives permanently. At some point I do expect medical science to come up with more vaccines and other means of boosting immunity as well as treatments that work rapidly to prevent long lasting damage, but I think we are still a decade away from ramping up and funding the research, having enough researchers, and the means of production and mass distribution. I don't think particularly the USA will learn it's lessons this first time around. Too much of the nation, too much of the political structure was against doing the work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Does anyone else figure that people in their area, even previously cautious ones, simply don’t bother to keep tabs anymore?  

I see a fair amount of "I just need to move on with my life" type sentiments.  And to be honest, I get the weariness.  I also see you and understand this is hard for you.  I am there also.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Does anyone else figure that people in their area, even previously cautious ones, simply don’t bother to keep tabs anymore?  
I know all my friends’ kids, including under 12s, are hanging out and having fun. I’m the only party pooper left, as far as I can tell.  But this is what we look like:

156D8842-78EA-4ADE-B65D-D2D2FB04D999.jpeg

We are seeing a lot of covid fatigue here, people who used to be cautious throwing all considerations to the wind. We are also just beginning to ramp up, and already a local sheriff's deputy who was well known and loved has died of covid. Has this changed local behavior? No it has not. Our vax rate is only 42% for fully vaxed, and 39% for one shot. The difference between those two numbers is so low that it means pretty much everyone who is willing to be vaxed has been vaxed and few have changed their minds and are waiting for the next shot. The only thing that works in favorite of this county is how rural it is and how spread out. Our demographic for school age children is low compared to other counties - school populations have been shrinking for the last 20 years because more and more families have left. So spread may not be quite as bad as counties south of here. But that doesn't mean it won't get ugly, and we have no hospitals with respiratory therapists or a single ICU bed, so everyone gets turfed from the stitch and ditch to the city hospitals in a lovely attempt to further overwhelm those hospitals.

Our circle will shrink. In a rare moment of fun with someone outside my immediate clan, I had afternoon tea at a tea house with outside dining. The lady I went with is a friend whom I have not been able to spend time with since the pandemic started. It was a beautiful day outside, and the staff masked. Once our tea and salads, and fruit, was served the staff stayed away. We had a bell to ring if we needed anything.  It was lovely. But she told me she is tired of it all, and had decided that after our outing, she was no longer going to be cautious, mask, etc. So it is going to be another long stretch of not doing anything with anyone. I spent some time crying last night. It had gone so well, and I had found an outdoor cafe on the water about an hour from here and was going to invite her to go next week, my treat. I ended up not doing it since she indicated she was going to an indoor, women's bible study with about 25 women most of whom she admitted were anti-vax. I came home and cried. I so desperately wanted to go to the outdoor cafe with someone who is not my mother, mother in law, kids, or husband. I adore my family and love them intensely, but sometimes it is just nice to have a friend,  different perspectives, different topics of conversation.

I have made a reservation at the cafe to go alone. They have really nice GF options. I will take a book and just be alone, but at least it is a change of scenery and not an elderly woman outing. I love the mothers, but since they rely so heavily on me it is weary to have every aspect of my life always about them, and neither one ever stops to consider me or my feelings. They can be very draining emotional and physically.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 12

My mom has decided to stay away from all the grandkids again, as she is in physical therapy multiple times a week and is worried about giving it to the kids if she catches it there (kids too young to be vaccinated). And I'm worried about the kids giving it to her (nieces are in public school, my kids now in church, sunday school)

This sucks. I miss my mom. 

• Sad 13

Sigh, I inquired about ballet at another studio that would be closer to us and they don't wear masks in their studio.  I mean I want my kids to not wear masks while they dance too.  It is so much easier, but I don't think now is the time.  This is why we go to the other county.  I took my kids into some stores in this other county last night.  Of course I am worried sick about it.  But they had a great time.  They haven't been in a store since 2020 and maybe 2019.  In 2020 I would avoid taking them in just because it was harder, flu season, and Covid was on my radar in Jan.   They had a great time looking at pets, super expensive mountain bikes, and running into a grocery story super fast.  We saw 3 unmasked people (one a baby).  

• Like 1

I feel like we’ve thrown caution to the wind.  We decided that since our whole family is vaccinated we’d go back to regular activities as long as they were enforcing an indoor mask mandate.  They all are . . . but it still feels like so much exposure.  And it is, compared to last year when we homeschooled and worked from home and had indoor exposure to maybe 5 people outside our household.  Now we’re at hundreds.  I did teach in person last spring, but the college was enforcing strict precautions and had an on-campus case rate far lower than the surrounding community.  

I honestly want to crawl back into our cave. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Danae said:

I feel like we’ve thrown caution to the wind.  We decided that since our whole family is vaccinated we’d go back to regular activities as long as they were enforcing an indoor mask mandate.  They all are . . . but it still feels like so much exposure.  And it is, compared to last year when we homeschooled and worked from home and had indoor exposure to maybe 5 people outside our household.  Now we’re at hundreds.  I did teach in person last spring, but the college was enforcing strict precautions and had an on-campus case rate far lower than the surrounding community.  

Me too.   We are doing the same, going back to things that are enforcing masks.  We are all not vaxxed.  3 younger kids.  But our mental health was suffering.   My kids need to be around some other kids and have friends.  Some days I just want to go back to our cave.  Then other times it helps me get back to feeling  normal just going about life with a mask on in all over the place.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danae said:

Us too!  Nerve wracking for sure.  DH and I are being conservative and letting the teen have the most exposures.  

I do have a kid on a college campus that has over 90% vaccinated on a very large campus.  They have not seen a case number rise so far which is encouraging.  It’s super fun to have him living much more normally without exposure risk to us.  I have just let go of worrying about the vaccinated young , my mental health requires it at this point.  

I really would like DH and I to have a booster.

• Like 1

It appears that most around us have given up. Life looks pretty normal out there. We don’t see many masks when out and about, except in medical settings.

We haven’t exactly thrown caution to the wind in a fun way, but our exposure level is higher than ever here.

Kids are staying home, for the most part. But DH and I are visiting nursing homes (separate wings) or hospitals daily. I was feeling pretty safe, then read that visiting those places is considered high risk. Nevertheless, we can’t change it - it’s a necessity for now.

We have done a distanced, masked, outdoor birthday gathering for a kid friend, and a few times we have had a distanced, masked, outdoor visit with friends.

We have two friend households who are similar to us in their exposure, who mask and distance and meet outside. Other than that, it feels like we are in a sea of people who have never heard of Covid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Even though we are only socializing outside, I’ve become more anxious about my 11 year old. She won’t turn 12 until December, but I’m hoping she will be able to be vaccinated even earlier. 

My kids are homeschooled, and no one in our family goes to in person work, but all of my 11 year old’s friends go to school in person. They seem to be passing around one virus or another every week, even though they test negative for Covid. 

Last night, I kept her home from swim practice which I ever do. It was being held at a pool that reminds her of when I was in the hospital, so she was already emotional. I am having an incisional hernia repaired tomorrow and I realized that if she comes home coughing or picks up the bug of the week, I won’t be able to get my surgery. 

I’m torn because she is already struggling with depression and anxiety, so she needs the exercise and to see her friends, but long Covid would be absolutely devastating for her. I feel like as we get closer and closer to being able to have her vaccinated, I’m willing to take fewer and fewer risks. 

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Danae said:

I think you're doing the right thing. We're all going to get COVID. May as well get it when you're newly vaccinated, you know? 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danae said:

I am sure it feels weird, but you are fortunate to have those opportunities. We are all vaccinated, but it almost feels like it's pointless because there aren't any safe activities where masking is enforced. If we had opportunities for mask-enforced activities, I think we'd do many of them except during big surges. 

A lot of the vaccinated friends we have are not really masking anymore. I am so glad they're vaxed, but it makes us feel like it's more difficult to get together. We have done a little bit of outdoor stuff, but we're currently avoiding as much outside contact as possible to have a visit with family soon. 

If the surge really does recede to a reasonable level, I do think we'll resume some field trips. It's our best chance of being able to do them ever again--we've had tutoring, therapies, etc. almost all of our homeschooling years, and this year is our lightest load with fewest outside commitments. It was supposed to be the fun year.

• Sad 4

Two and a half weeks before our exposures skyrocket. We will have packers in our house before the actual moving, but then we will have the unpackers, the family, the work crews for the addition. And the family is the biggest risk. FL is a disaster. I think I've said before that the four 65+ family are all vaxxed and masked when they go out, except they eat in lots of restaurants, and go to church, have friends over, etc. But my generation (siblings) are anti-vax and anti-mask and living ‘normal’ lives. So the younger vaccines need to hurry up!! 😭 My 8 yr old and 4 yr old need the protection! And I will be in line for a booster if it gets approved.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I took my kids into some stores in this other county last night.  Of course I am worried sick about it.  But they had a great time.  They haven't been in a store since 2020 and maybe 2019

I went into Kohl’s the other day, just to do a quick return during slow hours. I didn’t understand at first why my insides were begging me for a giant sweatshirt shopping spree, but then I realized I haven’t seen racks of clothing in person in quite sometime. It was so bizarre, like feeling hungry when you smell a restaurant.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

It's rough I feel like we have thrown caution to the wind.  Somehow we are still the most cautious people around.  

I feel this 100%  I am freaked about taking my kids into a store where almost everyone is masked.  In the county in our state that that has the highest vaccination rate.  But in our town life is going on as normal.  Some masks at the store since they are recommended again.  Sometimes half or only 4 people.   But the schools have no mask rules.  High school is totally on and normal.  So even though I am searching out the safest things to do, nobody else around us is doing anything.  

• Like 2

My BIL has Covid.  He is vaccinated (J&J), but picked it up at work.  He has been isolating at home and hasn't had too bad of a time with it, mostly a sore throat and low grade fever.

Our county is just nuts.  So many people think this is all a hoax for the government to gain control.  They are blaming vaccinated people for the delta variant, saying it was caused by vaccines.  They are saying that the hospital is lying about what people are dying from.  Some even think that the refrigeration trucks being brought in are a scare tactic, and that the dead body overwhelm is made up.

My mom, who lives in a little rural town with one store, said that the people refuse to mask in the store.  The owners are frustrated, but really have no recourse unless they want to shut down.  This is a store that has been owned by the same family since my grandparents were young.

Getting grocery pick up is getting harder.  It is like early pandemic when you have to book a day or two out.  I tried to order groceries the last couple weeks and had to wait a day or two to pick them up.  I think it is a lack of workers.  Our case numbers are high, the county reported yesterday that our 14 day new case rate is 1,063.4/100k.  Our county only has around 110,000 people total.  The county health officials think we might be over the peak, but school just started two weeks ago, and there are small festivals for one thing or another every weekend.  Good news is that some are getting cancelled for this upcoming weekend due to a forecast of a big downpour.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

7 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think you're doing the right thing. We're all going to get COVID. May as well get it when you're newly vaccinated, you know? 😉 

I’m six months past second shot.  The kids are more recent, though.  

I almost had a heart attack when I graphed yesterday’s case numbers, and then I remembered that yesterday was when the last zero from Labor Day dropped out of the 7 day average and the 4 day catch-up number was still in it.

Faith manor, if you were close, I would take you out to lunch at some of the fantastic outdoor restaurant spaces here.  (Hugs!!)

We are still trying to keep a bubble around Youngest. She is so close to being able to be vaccinated! Just a few more months, hopefully! 

Oldest is working and going to university. The middles are in public school. They are wearing N95s or equivalent because they have so much exposure.

Dh is still working from home. Dh does what shopping I can’t order for. Other than that, we are only going out for medical stuff. We had been doing outdoor dining but stopped when the wave hit hard….largely because our social circle has given up also. I have one friend who will mask while I eat, and then we take turns. I will mask so she can eat. And then vice versa. 🙂 

Schools require masks, as do indoor spaces, but people here are largely fed up and doing whatever socially unmasked. The case rates are showing that. I have friends on their third or fourth round of covid. 

• Sad 3

Of the families I know enough of the details on to share….

Family One: our age, kids our age (late teens down to elementary, no obesity, good health).

1. Round 1: prevaccine, dad caught at work and brought home. Dad was tested through work (which was an early outbreak of dozens of people), mom and kids were symptomatic of something but not tested because testing not available. Influenza like. 
Round 2: prevaccine, went to a high outbreak area about 4 months after round 1. Saw extended family. All six in family one, grandparents, most aunts/uncles/cousins all sick. All tested. All of family one positive. “Like a day of bad allergies”

Round 3: This summer. I can’t confirm they are vaccinated as we are no longer close. Plans had been to be vaccinated, but I don’t know for sure they did. Headache, drippy nose, tired, sore throat. 

Family 2: mid-60s. Good general health, wife has previous heart issues from celiac left long undiagnosed, but stable.

1. round 1: bad influenza—2020

2. round 2: early 2021: wife and husband both seriously ill. Wife went to urgent care 2x,  sent on to ER. Husband spent two weeks in hospital on high flow, came home on low flow with nasal cannula. Essentially came home disabled with no stamina.  Still has long covid symptoms.

vaccine (full series 2 dose): March time frame

3. Round 3: August—milder, like bad colds

I can count easily 20 people who have had two rounds. I can also easily count 20 people who have had mild covid post-vaccine. None had hospital stays. 

I am deeply deeply confused by people who are in a hurry to get it, thinking they will have lasting immunity. Some do get it, I think. Some don’t. It’s kind of a crapshoot. Same with long covid. 

I get that we are all playing a long game and we need to balance mental health, maintaining the economy, etc.  but that doesn’t mean we need to free for all/give up all precautions.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am deeply deeply confused by people who are in a hurry to get it, thinking they will have lasting immunity. Some do get it, I think. Some don’t. It’s kind of a crapshoot. Same with long covid. 

I'm not in a huge hurry to get it, but the study suggesting good natural immunity felt encouraging to me. I also figure I can't possibly avoid it forever. I'd just like us all to be vaxxed before we get it... 

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Family 2: mid-60s. Good general health, wife has previous heart issues from celiac left long undiagnosed, but stable.

2. round 2: early 2021: wife and husband both seriously ill. Wife went to urgent care 2x,  sent on to ER. Husband spent two weeks in hospital on high flow, came home on low flow with nasal cannula. Essentially came home disabled with no stamina.  Still has long covid symptoms.

That's a concerning progression 😕 . Did they have positive tests the first round? 

• Like 1

They mask. Cloth masks during round 1. Not sure about the others. I doubt they are in N95s. 

I do know they eat in restaurants occasionally because they used to eat with my parents. 🤦 My parents only gave that up after the husband was in ICU for so long. My parents are older than they, so it scared them.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Of the families I know enough of the details on to share….

Family One: our age, kids our age (late teens down to elementary, no obesity, good health).

1. Round 1: prevaccine, dad caught at work and brought home. Dad was tested through work (which was an early outbreak of dozens of people), mom and kids were symptomatic of something but not tested because testing not available. Influenza like. 
Round 2: prevaccine, went to a high outbreak area about 4 months after round 1. Saw extended family. All six in family one, grandparents, most aunts/uncles/cousins all sick. All tested. All of family one positive. “Like a day of bad allergies”

Round 3: This summer. I can’t confirm they are vaccinated as we are no longer close. Plans had been to be vaccinated, but I don’t know for sure they did. Headache, drippy nose, tired, sore throat. 

vaccine (full series 2 dose): March time frame

3. Round 3: August—milder, like bad colds

I can count easily 20 people who have had two rounds. I can also easily count 20 people who have had mild covid post-vaccine. None had hospital stays. 

I get that we are all playing a long game and we need to balance mental health, maintaining the economy, etc.  but that doesn’t mean we need to free for all/give up all precautions.

Family 2 seems like an oddity in that even with both the vax and previous infection they still got Covid.

Is it possible that any of these cases were undiagnosed and wrongly assumed to be Covid?

Personally I know only one person who may have had Covid 2x ... but she was not tested the first time.  (Kid about 11yo so not vaccinated.)  Extremely careful family due to severe health risks ... but they felt they couldn't lock their young daughter up forever.

13 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not in a huge hurry to get it, but the study suggesting good natural immunity felt encouraging to me. I also figure I can't possibly avoid it forever. I'd just like us all to be vaxxed before we get it... 

Have you tested to see if any of you have already had it?

47 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yay!!! How did your DH do? No one else got it, right? 

DH did fine. He tested negative just shy of 2wks after first testing positive. DS8 tested positive about halfway through DH’s isolation & just tested negative today (around 10 days later). He did fine, too. Slept in late a few days, was a little achy from time to time. I stayed negative the whole time.

DS is absolutely THRILLED to be released back into the world; he desperately needs his (outdoor, mostly distanced) athletic outlets. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

DH did fine. He tested negative just shy of 2wks after first testing positive. DS8 tested positive about halfway through DH’s isolation & just tested negative today (around 10 days later). He did fine, too. Slept in late a few days, was a little achy from time to time. I stayed negative the whole time.

DS is absolutely THRILLED to be released back into the world; he desperately needs his (outdoor, mostly distanced) athletic outlets. 

I'm really glad everyone had a mild case!! 

17 hours ago, SKL said:

Family 2 seems like an oddity in that even with both the vax and previous infection they still got Covid.

Is it possible that any of these cases were undiagnosed and wrongly assumed to be Covid?

Personally I know only one person who may have had Covid 2x ... but she was not tested the first time.  (Kid about 11yo so not vaccinated.)  Extremely careful family due to severe health risks ... but they felt they couldn't lock their young daughter up forever.

I know someone who got Covid, got vaccinated and got Covid again so it can certainly happen.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 2:10 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Shane Crotty said that they do not have data yet on immunity if you are vaccinated first and then get Covid but they are studying it. He said it’s possible vaccination may dampen the immune response if you get infected, so it may be different than if you get Covid then get vaccinated. He said previously infected people who get the first vaccine then get really good protection against variants. Of course you have to survive Covid, and hopefully not end up with long Covid to get your immunity that way.

• Like 1