Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

One of my best friends, who was my work partner for seven years, is in the ICU with Covid and septic shock.  He is vaccinated and has had Covid a year ago. 
No underlying conditions. He’s young 50s.  Works as both a paramedic and for the medical examiner/coroners office, so a lot of exposure despite masking.  

That's horrible!! Septic shock is bad enough by itself! Prayers.

48 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

He said he feels "off." Not sure what he means by no breathing issue but then says he's light-headed. Very fatigued. He's not off until 630. It's 230 here. 

Does he have the type of position where he can't leave work because he is responsible for keeping something going?  

Is it possible for him to video chat with you so you can lay eyes on him? I would be so worried. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Does he have the type of position where he can't leave work because he is responsible for keeping something going?  

Is it possible for him to video chat with you so you can lay eyes on him? I would be so worried. 

Yes. They are shorthanded so he needs to wait for the next shift to come in. Management has all left. He is literally there by himself. 

And management locked thermometer and pulse ox in office. Apparently a $20 instrument is just too much for the peons to handle.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 15

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Yes. They are shorthanded so he needs to wait for the next shift to come in. Management has all left. He is literally there by himself. 

And management locked thermometer and pulse ox in office. Apparently a $20 instrument is just too much for the peons to handle.

They locked it up knowing he’s sick and has been using it? What is wrong with people?! I’m so sorry.

Hoping for an update soon, and that he’s improving.

My neighbor-friend who has been admitted to the hospital again has a clot in his lung and a bacterial infection now. Hoping that it’s all treatable, and he’s back on his feet soon.

• Sad 11

6 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

One of my best friends, who was my work partner for seven years, is in the ICU with Covid and septic shock.  He is vaccinated and has had Covid a year ago. 
No underlying conditions. He’s young 50s.  Works as both a paramedic and for the medical examiner/coroners office, so a lot of exposure despite masking.  

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. 

How long ago was he vaxxed? 

6 hours ago, cintinative said:

I don't know if there is a thread for that anymore but we are honored to keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. 

As the OP, I think people can pretty much post what they want in here at this point, as long as it's COVID-related. This is definitely one of the main COVID threads right now, and it has definitely morphed somewhat. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Dh's pulse ox is 94. 

Runny nose, sore throat, cough(not severe), and very tired. He is off for the next four days (regular days off) so that's good. 

I'm sleeping in another room and am going to slam the supplements.

Oh shoot. Did he already get tested? Can he get monoclonal antibodies?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I don’t know if he’s sick enough for that. Not sure what the criteria are? I think he will test tomorrow.

I think the criteria differs in different states, but in general, it's intended to be given before someone gets severely ill. It's usually given to people early in their illness who are at risk for severe disease (older age, obesity, unvaccinated status, health conditions like hypertension or diabetes). It's most effective early in disease, before someone is ill enough to need hospitalization. Here are the WHO guidelines, which aren't the same as the guidelines for  many states likely, but give an idea:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/who-issues-guideline-on-monoclonal-antibodies-for-severe-covid-19#A-few-caveats-to-monoclonal-antibody-use

• Like 6

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/health/pfizer-vaccine-waning-immunity/index.html
“One study from Israel covered 4,800 health care workers and showed antibody levels wane rapidly after two doses of vaccine "especially among men, among persons 65 years of age or older, and among persons with immunosuppression.”

"We conducted this prospective longitudinal cohort study involving health care workers at Sheba Medical Center, a large tertiary medical center in Israel," Sheba's Dr. Gili Regev-Yochay and colleagues wrote.

The researchers noted that levels of so-called neutralizing antibodies -- the immune system's first line of defense against infection -- correlate with protection against infection, but for this study they studied only antibody levels.

…. A second study from Qatar looked at actual infections among the highly vaccinated population of that small Gulf nation. People there mostly got Pfizer/BioNTech's vaccine, also known as BNT162b2.

"BNT162b2-induced protection against infection builds rapidly after the first dose, peaks in the first month after the second dose, and then gradually wanes in subsequent months," Laith Abu-Raddad of Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar and colleagues wrote. "The waning appears to accelerate after the fourth month, to reach a low level of approximately 20% in subsequent months," they added.

Nonetheless, protection against hospitalization and death stayed at above 90%, they said”

• Like 2

Addressing the thread topic: I seem to have become a bit more relaxed.  Scotland's figures are still very high but have peaked, and widespread vaccination seems to have made a big difference in avoiding hospital overwhelm and deaths.  I still mask in all shared indoor spaces, including at work with my double-vaxxed colleagues, but in the past week I have had my hair cut (first appointment of the day, only customer in the room, everyone masked), been to the dentist for the first time in two years, and attended a daytime screening of the Bond movie (very sparsely attended, everyone should have been masked unless eating, no-one nearby).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877

• Like 7

Well this is why we don't do anything in our city and head to county that has a mask mandate still.

Just saw pictures of homecoming at the high school.  Our schools don't have rules about masks this year.  They stopped in May.  Totally packed indoor games and rallies.  And a super crowded indoor dance.    I just don't have words.  These situations are the ones that are keeping this going.  While in the other town we do everything in masks everywhere inside.  Our dance school is still taking temps just to get inside.  To audition for shows over 12 has to show vaccination and unders have a negative covid test.  But hey in my town life is 2019 and awesome.  No covid here.

• Sad 7

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Well this is why we don't do anything in our city and head to county that has a mask mandate still.

Just saw pictures of homecoming at the high school.  Our schools don't have rules about masks this year.  They stopped in May.  Totally packed indoor games and rallies.  And a super crowded indoor dance.    I just don't have words.  These situations are the ones that are keeping this going.  While in the other town we do everything in masks everywhere inside.  Our dance school is still taking temps just to get inside.  To audition for shows over 12 has to show vaccination and unders have a negative covid test.  But hey in my town life is 2019 and awesome.  No covid here.

See no COVID, hear no COVID, eh? 😞 That sounds really disappointing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

See no COVID, hear no COVID, eh? 😞 That sounds really disappointing. 

Yep.  I am always at a loss for words with this kind of thing.  My kids even go to a nature school in the other county which requires masks all the times outdoors.  Maybe not needed?  Who knows that info changes all the time.  But my kids are fine with it and love it so I am glad they are doing the best they can.  We went on a field trip to a pumpkin farm with our virtual school and hardly anyone was wearing a mask even though it was crowded and there were indoor areas in barns.  

We were looking at dancing at other school and I asked about their Covid policies and nope nobody wears a mask, but I can if I want.   Glad covid doesn't exist in their studio.  Lucky them.  

It just sucks to be limiting what your kids can do still and checking into things.  I am glad that we have this other county nearish to us that takes things more seriously.   Otherwise we probably wouldn't be doing anything.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

My school is having their homecoming dance outside on the football field. I think that is a fantastic idea! 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep, great idea.  Fun and what a great memory too.  They totally could have done that here, the weather has been so nice. 

They are predicting a high of 74 for tomorrow with no rain. It will be cooler at night, obviously, but if students dress for the weather it should be an absolute blast! i am so glad they can have a safe(r) way to celebrate.

• Like 2

I'm feeling more relaxed than this time year. I still mask in all indoor spaces or if it’s crowded (like at the women’s march last weekend—actually, masking was mandated yay!!), not eating in restaurants, etc, but I have recently gone to a couple shops just to browse, which I hadn’t done since this started. We are more willing now to eat outdoors even along busy sidewalks and generally be around people a little more. It’s a nice balance.

We did briefly consider going up north for the long weekend, but decided against it since the numbers there are still high and vax rate low. Not going to give my business to areas that aren’t taking public health seriously. In my part of the state the vaccination rate is very high and most people are masking where it makes sense, so I’m more comfortable here. 

• Like 2

so, we are down to 5% positivity in my area! That plus the kid vaccines being approved soon (well, for all but my youngest) makes me feel better. 

We ARE going to the Pride Festival, but a survey shows that over 90% of LGBT adults are vaccinated, and they have put in all the info that if you can't be vaccinated you should stay home and watch the live streamed activities, etc. And masks are required in close quarters. Our church will have a booth and the church requires us to wear masks while at it, and asked us to keep at least 3 feet of distance - and that's outdoors!

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

so, we are down to 5% positivity in my area! That plus the kid vaccines being approved soon (well, for all but my youngest) makes me feel better. 

We ARE going to the Pride Festival, but a survey shows that over 90% of LGBT adults are vaccinated, and they have put in all the info that if you can't be vaccinated you should stay home and watch the live streamed activities, etc. And masks are required in close quarters. Our church will have a booth and the church requires us to wear masks while at it, and asked us to keep at least 3 feet of distance - and that's outdoors!

Lucky!! Ours was cancelled again this year, fingers crossed for 2022.

Have fun—and THANK YOU for taking your kids! ❤️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

My school is having their homecoming dance outside on the football field. I think that is a fantastic idea! 

One of our did that and another even mandated vax/negative test. 

Which is fantastic.  Unfortunately the anti people and churches are holding alternative dances. Where kids can dance and breathe and actually look pretty as one mom put it.  😒

Our positivity rate is under 15% for the first time in months and hospitalization are down to 75.  So we seem to coming out of this wave despite ourselves.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

FL is down to orange on Covidact.now.

Lots of states turned back to orange.  

23 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

One of our did that and another even mandated vax/negative test. 

Which is fantastic.  Unfortunately the anti people and churches are holding alternative dances. Where kids can dance and breathe and actually look pretty as one mom put it.  😒

Our positivity rate is under 15% for the first time in months and hospitalization are down to 75.  So we seem to coming out of this wave despite ourselves.

Yes, someone organized an indoor option in our area as well. Mostly because some kids and parents were mad that they are not allowed to bring a date from another school this year. Hopefully, it will not be as well attended, especially because it will be beautiful weather for the outdoor dance. Our county's numbers had been dropping for three weeks, but now have started to go back up again 😞

2 hours ago, KSera said:

@AbcdeDooDah How's your Dh doing today? I hope his symptoms have stayed mild and he's been able to get a test.

He is feeling better and just laying low around the house. I don’t know if he’ll test. 🙄 His oxygen was 96 or 97 this morning. Could be something other than Covid, or just mild because he’s vaxed. 

I just got an update of DDIL’s dad. Sepsis is no longer a concern. He’s on a good amount of oxygen (15 l)but still breathing on his own. The concern is the double pneumonia. His lungs need to heal. He is alert and texting people/keeping in touch. DIL’s mom test came back positive today. 😢

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

He is feeling better and just laying low around the house. I don’t know if he’ll test. 🙄 His oxygen was 96 or 97 this morning. Could be something other than Covid, or just mild because he’s vaxed. 

I just got an update of DDIL’s dad. Sepsis is no longer a concern. He’s on a good amount of oxygen but still breathing on his own. The concern is the double pneumonia. His lungs need to heal. He is alert and texting people/keeping in touch. DIL’s mom test came back positive today. 😢

He had known exposure and has symptoms but doesn't want to test?

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

He had known exposure and has symptoms but doesn't want to test?

Yep. I know. 😑

I am going to press him, especially since DILS mom is now positive and we all did wedding stuff together all weekend of the 26th. 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Sad 5

32 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I just got an update of DDIL’s dad. Sepsis is no longer a concern. He’s on a good amount of oxygen (15 l)but still breathing on his own. The concern is the double pneumonia. His lungs need to heal. He is alert and texting people/keeping in touch. DIL’s mom test came back positive today. 😢

Glad your dh is doing better and hope it stays mild. Hopefully he’s at least assuming it’s Covid and acting accordingly. Would he do a home test if you could get one?

Hoping for the best for your other family members. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

Glad your dh is doing better and hope it stays mild. Hopefully he’s at least assuming it’s Covid and acting accordingly. Would he do a home test if you could get one?

Hoping for the best for your other family members. 

Yes, and I’ve been looking. They’re sold out. Ordering online is moot by the time it gets here.

I have been invited to two indoor parties at the end of the month. I’m so tired of feeling like the pooper, but here we are.

Our numbers are headed down, and that’s truly terrific. Why do I feel like I’m the only one who knows how to KEEP them going down?!? I do know that the vast majority of my friends (in the circles involved, at least) are vaccinated, but most of us have kids who aren’t yet. I can’t imagine risking it when we’re *this* close!

• Like 12

Going to my first classical concert in two years next week. Vaccine proof is not required but the vaccination rate is close to 100 percent in that demographic.  It's in a 500-capacity church with 175 tickets sold. They are reserving us seats in the marked distanced area. Masks compulsory - Scottish law. I'm really looking forward to it.

Numbers going down.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 23

Our city's largest school district is removing the temporary mask mandate. Effective Monday, masks are optional. We have over 100,000 students in our district. I guess the positive is that in their statement, they said they reserve the right to reinstate it if the numbers go up.  Based on the number of staff in the schools I've been in who don't wear masks over their noses, I don't expect most staff to wear masks. 

• Sad 7

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Going to my first classical concert in two years next week. Vaccine proof is not required but the vaccination rate is close to 100 percent in that demographic.  It's in a 500-capacity church with 175 tickets sold. They are reserving us seats in the marked distanced area. Masks compulsory - Scottish law. I'm really looking forward to it.

Numbers going down.

Enjoy! 

I went to a similar concert during a Covid lull here, and it was definitely worth the (low) risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, math teacher said:

So, our numbers are falling-now we are at 28 cases per 100,000 people. Do you consider that "safe" such as eating out and shopping (masked of course?)

It's amazing what we get used to.  This is the standard that's been gone by on one site (Brown U. School of Public Health) since the start of the pandemic.  On another Covid thread, the Australians are distressed because their numbers are approaching that level, which is Red.  It's been so bad here that those numbers seem 'good' to us, but not really so much...

image.thumb.png.f8f95b46d3cee25bd7fc8c093997f790.png

ETA: Personally at that level, I'd be okay going food shopping in a good mask, and eating outdoors, because that's where we've been for the past few months (we're back below that now) and that's what I've been doing.  I wouldn't go shopping to browse or eat in an indoor restaurant.   

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

ETA: Personally at that level, I'd be okay going food shopping in a good mask, and eating outdoors, because that's where we've been for the past few months (we're back below that now) and that's what I've been doing.  I wouldn't go shopping to browse or eat in an indoor restaurant.   

This is what we've done at similar levels too.  Fully masked, limited indoor shopping, etc.  As a fully vaccinated family.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It's amazing what we get used to.  This is the standard that's been gone by on one site (Brown U. School of Public Health) since the start of the pandemic.  On another Covid thread, the Australians are distressed because their numbers are approaching that level, which is Red.  It's been so bad here that those numbers seem 'good' to us, but not really so much...

Ahh we would have been totally locked down for 2 yes.  Our area got to orange for like a month once.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I think part of the distress is related to gov decisions to open up at that point rather than maintain status quo, but yes.  Even here case numbers that seemed shocking a few weeks ago seem like a positive improvement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Ahh we would have been totally locked down for 2 yes.  Our area got to orange for like a month once.

Almost the entire US has been red for months, forget orange. My state is one if the lowest in the country (well, since the first wave where it was among the highest), and we're just now back down to orange. Yeep.  

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think part of the distress is related to gov decisions to open up at that point rather than maintain status quo, but yes.  Even here case numbers that seemed shocking a few weeks ago seem like a positive improvement.

I get it. They kind of thing has happened here too. Like here, why have we gone full steam ahead on in-person elementary schools when we were so close to a vax for that age?