Menu

-

alisoncooks

I would still try and isolate him as best you can.  Viral exposure and load matters.  If you could open all the windows once or twice a day and get an air purifier going, I would do that too.  Might he be a decent candidate for monoclonal antibodies?  He could call his doctor to talk about it.  

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this!  I hope he recovers quickly and no one else gets it. ❤️ 

Was he vaccinated?  You don't have to answer if you don't want obviously, just curious  about breakthrough cases.  

• Like 9

Just now, HomeAgain said:

I don't know if you can isolate at this point.  Your better option might be opening windows, even if it's insanely hot, and using fans to blow around the house so that there might be some mitigation, but even that is iffy.

Are any of you vaccinated?

This was what I was going to post. 

I think it’s still good to isolate him in the master bedroom, because you still want to lessen the viral load in your house, but I would also be airing out the whole house and disinfecting everything I could. I would also be quarantining your dd that traveled with your dh, or at least having her wear a mask in the public areas of the house.

I hope at least some of you are vaccinated!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I would still try and isolate him as best you can.  Viral exposure and load matters.  If you could open all the windows once or twice a day and get an air purifier going, I would do that too.  Might he be a decent candidate for monoclonal antibodies?  He could call his doctor to talk about it.  

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this!  I hope he recovers quickly and no one else gets it. ❤️ 

Was he vaccinated?  You don't have to answer if you don't want obviously, just curious  about breakthrough cases.  

LOL! We were posting the same thing at the same time! 

I like your idea of asking about the monoclonal antibody treatment — that would be such a smart thing to do!

• Like 1

I hope no one else in your house catches it, and that your dh has a mild case. 

There is still a chance that no one else will catch it, so I think the best thing you can do is minimize future exposure as much as you can. And maybe it’s good that he was sleeping on the couch, because even though he was spreading germs around the house, he wasn’t in a bed right next to you, so you didn’t get the full brunt of the exposure. You might have saved yourself from getting the virus, and if nothing else, you certainly dramatically lessened the viral load, which is a very big deal.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks for the ideas. 

So, without getting into specifics, of those currently testing positive from the event (numbers at around 10), at least 3-4 were vaccinated. At least one of those had had COVID, months before being vaccinated. 

The vaccines are not as strong against the Delta variant.  I think it's around 60% effective, though I am not sure of the exact numbers. 😞

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

The vaccines are not as strong against the Delta variant.  I think it's around 60% effective, though I am not sure of the exact numbers. 😞

I have heard that, too, but it does sound like the vaccines are effective at preventing most serious cases and hospitalizations, which is very good. 

Edited by Catwoman
Seriously, one sentence and I still have a typo? I am hopeless.
  • Like 3

My husband thought it too late to isolate when my daughter and myself were positive.  I insisted and no one else in out family (8 living there at the time) got it. Confirmed by repeat test.  

The master bedroom works best if it has a bathroom. Can you set up a separate bed for your daughter? Or actually if she's not symptomatic I would isolate her separately since it's possible she doesn't have it.  When it came to our house the kids with closest contact to the one who had it didn't get it.  It's a strange disease as to who gets it and who doesn't.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Well, oldest DD is feeling sick now. She's 15, so she's definitely not gonna bunk with DH, lol. Right now she's outside, but I've told her she'll be staying in her room when inside. She's got a testing appointment tomorrow. 

But she's been using our second (and only other) bathroom this whole time. I'm assuming (she's younger and healthier) that her bathroom is still the "safest" to use...I'll get in there and wipe it all down...

Does she have her own room? Have her stay in there and use the master bathroom, masking in the hallways, and leave the other bathroom for the other family members. 

• Like 9

I ran this drill many times in my head. We have 5 people in 1300sf with 1 shower. The conclusion I came to was that the healthy people would go to a hotel (we have a local one that has rooms that open to the outdoors). It would be a massive expense but I never came up with a better idea. Thankfully, we haven't had to test it yet.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

I ran this drill many times in my head. We have 5 people in 1300sf with 1 shower. The conclusion I came to was that the healthy people would go to a hotel (we have a local one that has rooms that open to the outdoors). It would be a massive expense but I never came up with a better idea. Thankfully, we haven't had to test it yet.

I did the same in my head.  Our plan last winter was to seal off the sick upstairs, with the rest of the house in the master bedroom and living room areas. 
If it happened now we'd camp.  Outdoors, away from people, minimal contact.

• Like 2

Preference one would be share the master preference two have dd stay in her room and use the master bathroom.   Also if you are considering vaccinating at some point and haven’t it may be worth doing now.  There’s no proof it works but post-exposure vaccination may still be slightly preventative.

Hope you all get through it with minimum sickness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Well, oldest DD is feeling sick now. She's 15, so she's definitely not gonna bunk with DH, lol. Right now she's outside, but I've told her she'll be staying in her room when inside. She's got a testing appointment tomorrow. 

But she's been using our second (and only other) bathroom this whole time. I'm assuming (she's younger and healthier) that her bathroom is still the "safest" to use...I'll get in there and wipe it all down...

Can you put a camp bed or an air mattress on the floor or even a sleeping bag on the floor of the same room that your DH is quarantined in and let them both isolate there? 

Also, please ask your DD to keep a mask on 24x7 if she is around the rest of the family. It really helps - my nephew was living in an apartment with 4 other college students and 2 out of the 5 got covid and the rest of the 3 never got infected because all of them started wearing masks all the time at home. They also kept all the windows open permanently and used air purifiers. The uninfected roommates agreed to stop using the common areas around 6:00 pm after which the infected people could use the kitchen, laundry etc.

• Like 1

The work flow and floor plan of our 1300 sf house did not really allow isolating when Dh, Dd, and Ds had covid in January. I have two autoimmune diseases and did not get it. Covid is weird.

OP, I hope their cases are mild and that the rest of y’all don’t get it.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

DH put a message in to his GP, who wants to do the monoclonal antibody treatment. I'm glad -- so far DH seems to be doing okay, but he does have some risk factors (cancer survivor, high BMI, prone to respiratory illnesses). 

Oh that is great news.  I hope it helps him get better fast.

• Like 1

DH put a message in to his GP, who wants to do the monoclonal antibody treatment. I'm glad -- so far DH seems to be doing okay, but he does have some risk factors (cancer survivor, high BMI, prone to respiratory illnesses). 

That is great! I keep reading there is plenty available right now, but physicians aren’t ordering it, so it’s great he has a proactive GP. I hope it helps him feel better quickly! 

• Like 1

I hope they’ll get right on that! Afaik earlier in illness is better than late

• Like 1

Definitely isolate if they have a positive result.  DD14 was around 3 people for a week who were positive and was able to escape getting it. Prior to that, DS21 isolated at our house for two weeks, neither dd or I got it. 

A person isn't considered contagious for 2 days after exposure, so even though they were in the house, they may have not been spreading the illness as much as you think. 

Have them share a bathroom and meal times in the master bedroom. It will make things much easier in the long run. 

• Like 1

Also another reason to isolate....your entire house will have to quarantine for 10 days post exposure to a positive case. That means if your dd tested positive today, you have to allow 10 days for her illness (more if she has a lingering fever), and then add 10 more for the rest of your family to quarantine. If those who are positive, strictly isolate, then you can start the 10 day quarantine on the day your family was last around them.  Everyone who isn't positive....gets a test on day 7 after exposure, and then finishes up the last of the quarantine. 

Short version.....if those who are positive isolate starting today, and if no one else tests positive.....everyone is out of quarantine in 10 days (with a negative test). 

If those who are positive do not isolate. You essentially have the entire house do a 20 day quarantine. If anyone else gets a positive result, your 20 days starts over.

22 minutes ago, Tap said:

Definitely isolate if they have a positive result.  DD14 was around 3 people for a week who were positive and was able to escape getting it. Prior to that, DS21 isolated at our house for two weeks, neither dd or I got it. 

A person isn't considered contagious for 2 days after exposure, so even though they were in the house, they may have not been spreading the illness as much as you think. 

Have them share a bathroom and meal times in the master bedroom. It will make things much easier in the long run. 

That doesn't apply to the delta strain. Here in Australia there are cases that are testing positive and transmiting it after just 24 hours

• Like 1

Just now, alisoncooks said:

Welp, isolating just got trickier. Now DH, oldest, and I have tested positive. Youngest DD is negative with the rapid test, but I'm going to take her to get the PCR tomorrow to be more certain. 

Our isolating is pretty much down to wearing masks around the house, since I'm cooking all the meals and such anyway. And youngest and I have been together these past two days. 

Oh no! I’m so sorry! How are you feeling? How are your dh and your older dd doing today? Did your dh get started on the new treatment?

On 6/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, alisoncooks said:

Really glad to hear he’s going to get monoclonal antibody therapy!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am sorry!  Can you get the monoclonal antibody treatment, too?  At the hospital nearby my house it is available to anyone 40 and over or to those 18-39 with certain conditions.  

This is what I was thinking, too. Seems like you would be able to get it even earlier in the process than your DH, and that would be helpful.

• Like 5