Menu

Comfortable jeans that stay up without a belt

Shelydon

I don't know if jeans have changed or if my shape has changed, but I can no longer keep any style of jeans up on my waist without a belt. The belt then digs into my stomach when I sit.  Skinny jeans are especially bad about sliding down.  Has anyone found a comfortable pair that stays on the way they should?  Price is not an issue at this point, I just need my pants to stay up!  In the fall, winter months, I only wear jeans.  No desire for any kind of knit pant, I want real denim that stays where it should.  For reference I am usually a size 8.

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

Have your tried high rise? Not only are they currently in style (which means widely available), but I’ve found they stay up way better on me than most jeans. I like Kut from the Kloth for my body shape. 

Yes!  all of my current jeans are high rise.  I am really long waisted, so they are a necessity.  So glad they are back.  I have a couple of pair of KFTK, but they are mid rise on me, and slide down.

Edited by Shelydon

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

LL Bean True Shape jeans are my favorite. They fit me perfectly (no belt needed), have roomy pockets, and are real denim (I can't stand the chintzy fake "denim" that so many women's jeans are made of).

I tried these once, but ordering my regular size was two sizes to big.  I sent them back and didn't try again.  Maybe I should

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

JAG jeans - they have a unique waistband that works well for me.

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Talbots slim ankle jeans (not high waist!) fit me just right.

I have two pair of Jag Jeans.  The just slide right down to my knees.  I haven't tried Talbots, will give a whirl.

These. I’ve never had jeans not fall down or gape at the waist until I got these. 

Note: I’m 5’3” and I didn’t want the jeans to be ankle jeans, so I got the longs and they go down to the tops of my shoes, exactly where normal jeans ought to go.

Also note: the wine-colored jeans are NOT to size. I got a pair of those and I couldn’t fit into them, even though they were the same size as the 2 pair of blue and 1 pair of black jeans I’d already bought. And I read other reviews saying that the sizing on the wine color was wonky. The fabric on the wine color is also different; not jean material.

Edited to add: I just noticed that they have both green and lilac pairs of jeans now. I haven’t seen them before and don’t know if their sizing is correct or not. I just know the blue/black jeans have correct sizing.

Another edit: Yeah...just found a couple of reviews of the green and lilac pair and people are saying that they fit weird—had to size up and then they didn’t fit properly.

So!  The blue and black jeans are awesome (lots of reviews love them), but the colorful ones are messed up.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I tried these once, but ordering my regular size was two sizes to big.  I sent them back and didn't try again.  Maybe I should

I've found them to be consistently true to size, but I know some reviewers said they had problems with sizing - like they ordered a few colors, and a size 8 in one color would be longer or have a larger waist than an 8 in a different color. 

• 1 year later...

A high-waist type of jeans has always worked well for me. Mom jeans, for example, make my waist look thinner and stay up without a belt. If I wear a belt, it’s only for the sake of style. 
Call it a force of habit, I guess, but most of my clothes are designed to go with jeans, so I have a lot of tops to wear with mom jeans. I think it’s mostly because of my laziness and lack of desire to explore new look options. Hey, classics never go out of style. 
This is the only type of pants I can recommend to any woman. They look good on almost anyone, especially if you choose the wide-leg models. 

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Lol I think you have me confused! My sewing skills aren’t non-existent but they’re definitely not  jeans making level 

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Have you considered making some? I've seen your sewing skills on the Craft threads!

I think that's Melissa in Australia. 

I'm in awe of everyone who contributes to those crafting threads! 

Re: jeans: I threw in the towel and bought leggings and short dresses to go with them. Too old to not be comfortable. 🙂

Curvy-cut jeans have been a game-changer for me.  Unfortunately particular ones come and go so rapidly that the only ones I've ever been able to buy more than once is Levi 529s.  The tolerances are such that I have to try on every one in my size in store to find the one or two that fit just right, but it's worth it because then I don't have to worry about the back gaping, even without a belt.  (I've had actual salespeople tell me to "just wear a belt" to deal with it, when trying on jeans.)

• Like 2

I tried and tried to find pants that don’t slide off me. For years I wore them with no problem. Maybe with the advent of the comfort level of yoga leggings, they now just feel horrible. And they restrict my movement. 

I just gave up. I’m 58 and will just spend the rest of my days in leggings, tennis shoes, and tee shirts.