Menu

Winter Season Decorating

TechWife

I never see this covered anywhere! I see a lot of spring, summer, fall and Christmas decor, but not winter. What gives?

What ideas do you have that might make a home feel cozier in the wintertime without making it feel dark and heavy?

• Like 2

Only partly tongue-in-cheek: projects! This the time of year to ambitiously start projects, especially if your fabric/yarn/floss/paint/stamp stash was refilled for the holidays, or if you got gift cards. The colorful mess on the side table or project table is the decor. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I find that there are some things that carry over well from Christmas as winter displays.  Candles, particularly white or natural beeswax ones, stars, silver things—those are all wintry to me.  Snowflake cut outs in theory, but I haven’t made those in a long time.  My husband leans toward North Woods blankets and such.  (That is mostly red and black big block plaid, but is sometimes white and black.).  I have limited tolerance for this, but one black and white throw and some other cozy ones tend to appear or at least remain during the winter period.  And we have a Moravian Stern that is great from early Dec. through mid-Feb.  Festive, wintry, AND bright.

The trick, I think, is to go with bright and cozy cool colors mostly.  Light ice blue, the palest green, thin but strong yellow accents.  And then lots of white and silver and clear or white lights/flames/candles.  Pause the red (mostly) until Valentine’s Day.  Lose the forest/Christmas greens completely.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 6

Funny enough, I almost started a thread like this the other day, but never hit "submit" for some reason. 

I want to make our home more cozy for winter, too. We have not taken our Christmas tree down yet, but I did put away some of the more "Yay, Santa's coming!" type decorations.  Now I need to figure out what I can put in their place. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Only partly tongue-in-cheek: projects! This the time of year to ambitiously start projects, especially if your fabric/yarn/floss/paint/stamp stash was refilled for the holidays, or if you got gift cards. The colorful mess on the side table or project table is the decor. 🙂

In our old house I left stuff out all the time! My sewing machine and cutting mat lived on the dining room table and there was card making stuff in one bag, fabric the dining room bookshelves and more. When I moved, I relentlessly edited my stash and in our new house I have a dedicated craft area, which I have wanted for years! So while I am pro project, I am able to be anti clutter! Hooray!

That said, I think I will make some personalized coasters soon. I also have a quilt I need to finish. I need to figure out how to adjust tension on my sewing machine for that - it's acting wonky when I seam two particular fabrics together.

Anyway - I have a vase in the living room I need to fill. In the summer & fall it had a magnolia branch, then for Christmas I put in a holly branch. I'm thinking winter wheat for a few months before I bring the magnolia back out branch. I've got some filler for the tray on the dining room table - it's different size vine balls - some of them painted. Oh, and I have a cream and blue table runner I think I'm going to pull out. Maybe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I find that there are some things that carry over well from Christmas as winter displays.  Candles, particularly white or natural beeswax ones, stars, silver things—those are all wintry to me.  Snowflake cut outs in theory, but I haven’t made those in a long time.  My husband leans toward North Woods blankets and such.  (That is mostly red and black big block plaid, but is sometimes white and black.).  I have limited tolerance for this, but one black and white throw and some other cozy ones tend to appear or at least remain during the winter period.  And we have a Moravian Stern that is great from early Dec. through mid-Feb.  Festive, wintry, AND bright.

The trick, I think, is to go with bright and cozy cool colors mostly.  Light ice blue, the palest green, thin but strong yellow accents.  And then lots of white and silver and clear or white lights/flames/candles.  Pause the red (mostly) until Valentine’s Day.  Lose the forest/Christmas greens completely.

Can you find some examples of what you mean by "bright and cozy cool colors?" To me bright and cool are very different. Even just a couple of swatch ideas from the Pantone site would be helpful.

Do you think it's the texture of the blankets that makes them more cozy? Kirklands has these bubble throws on sale. 

2 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I have a dedicated craft area, which I have wanted for years! So while I am pro project, I am able to be anti clutter! Hooray!

That said, I think I will make some personalized coasters soon. I also have a quilt I need to finish. I need to figure out how to adjust tension on my sewing machine for that - it's acting wonky when I seam two particular fabrics together.

Anyway - I have a vase in the living room I need to fill. In the summer & fall it had a magnolia branch, then for Christmas I put in a holly branch. I'm thinking winter wheat for a few months before I bring the magnolia back out branch. I've got some filler for the tray on the dining room table - it's different size vine balls - some of them painted. Oh, and I have a cream and blue table runner I think I'm going to pull out. Maybe.

Yay for the craft area!!! Your projects sound lovely. 

I like the idea of bringing nature inside. I have some unsprouted pussy willow branches and some dried money plant. I don't do a lot of seasonal decor, but I enjoy having pretty things that are natural or inspired by nature, particularly things printed with abstracts of leaves and other natural items. I also have a lot of houseplants. If I had better natural light, I would have a jungle. I have to use a grow light in the winter due to near constant cloud cover here in the darker months.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Snowflake cut outs in theory, but I haven’t made those in a long time.

I second this. I do have those, but they aren't necessarily bright. I keep them as long as they are in good shape so I don't have to remake them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I second this. I do have those, but they aren't necessarily bright. I keep them as long as they are in good shape so I don't have to remake them.

What do you mean by snowflake cutouts? The only think I'm thinking of is paper snowflakes.

Listening in.

I’ve been wondering the same thing this weekend. This was the first year that Christmas decorations didn’t stress me out and, now that we’ve taken them down, things feel kind of naked.  Normally I *love* that first day of emptiness, but it hasn’t hit the same this year. It needs some wintry decor.

• Like 2

I've followed this blog off and on for several years. It's kind of half about crochet, half about life in a cute little English village. The photos she posts of the inside of her home seem quite cozy. Attic 24

I'm not sure I can pull off what she's got going on, though. I don't have a snug little English home with a fireplace. I have an open-floor plan, which seems to defy all attempts at "cozy". 

• Like 1

I am not a good decorator so my advice isn't something to listen to. 

We still have our tree up only because it is pretty still lit up.  It is stressing me out to have out though because of the space.  

But no matter what I have all my indoor Christmas lights still up.  I need the extra light and merriment until at least March.  

• Like 3

I wish the Christmas lights in town and on people's homes would stay up until March. We often keep our tree up past Epiphany for some warmth and cheer. Funny, ds and I were cutting off the dead branches one year so we could get the tree outside without needles everywhere. It was so dead. Once off it had a look of the "Nightmare Before Christmas". We put purple lights around the trunk and left it up for the winter. LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I like snowflakes (crochet and pillows etc), cardinals and extra blankets and pillows.  Candles are an all year round thing.

Cardinals - that's a great idea. Maybe on a pillow cover? I wonder if I could paper piece a cardinal?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Can you find some examples of what you mean by "bright and cozy cool colors?" To me bright and cool are very different. Even just a couple of swatch ideas from the Pantone site would be helpful.

Do you think it's the texture of the blankets that makes them more cozy? Kirklands has these bubble throws on sale. 

I was picturing ice blue, pale turquoise & lime green. I know green isn’t cool but there’s an icy wash that makes it seem this way. 

https://www.lampsplus.com/sfp/44G02/?cm_mmc=GOM-SH-_-NA-_-NA-_-44G02&sourceid=DFGPM44G02&gclid=Cj0KCQiA88X_BRDUARIsACVMYD-gvbcOQ8uPKmluMYm8P4htMXrxDhaOEo1L168LwNEtOseuX6_j-94aAnHVEALw_wcB

Bright but faded or frosty. 
https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/stonewashed-pickstitch-quilt-shams-blue/?cm_cat=Google&sku=2756178&region_id=666920&catalogId=84&cm_ite=2756178&gclid=Cj0KCQiA88X_BRDUARIsACVMYD_hCEzL4xk3OlrkvHxl3igrTiAMnbNSUDx9c8a_mEcC4SwkCOZwF-MaAnurEALw_wcB&cm_ven=PLA&cm_pla=Bedding > Quilts %26 Coverlets

https://annieselke.com/Bedding/Bubble-Citrus-Matelassé-Coverlet/p/PC1661-Q?&mrkgcl=930&mrkgadid=3310545473&product_id=PC1661-Q&opti_ca=&opti_ag=20928507386&opti_ad=78552438026&opti_key=&product_id=PC1661-Q&adpos=&creative=78552438026&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA88X_BRDUARIsACVMYD9COwNbUEWxePrHt1B0p4toQMHJ-GEVbvSJv58wAVDMJEvTCdikkqkaAuViEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just took down the Christmas decor & switched to the year round blues, with a few more browns like a faux fur throw on the couch. I’m currently focusing on decluttering instead of decorating though, so I was going more for easy than cozy. 

• Like 1

I don't really decorate for winter, but I think of more layering. I received a bright red/white plaid fluffy throw for Christmas, it looks wonderful on the bed with my antique quilt - which is red and black. My dad always wore plaid - flannel or dress -  shirts - so last year my mom made me and ds pillows from his flannel shirts. I'm not even a huge fan of plaid, yet these two items are nice. 

I also have a faux fur (looks like fluffy wolf) rug that stays out all year, but would be great for just winter. 

So, items that include patterns and exude warmth. You could do that in any color palette and any style of accessories. 

I agree on the candles, maybe some chunky pillar candles on a cluster of 3 candleholders of various heights. 

I like this look too. 

10 Post-Holiday Winter Decorating Ideas | DIY

• Like 7

I don’t know how to find Pantones, but for instance, there is a sky blue that is not bright but is still a light color.  And then there is an icy, very pale but clear blue that is light but also bright.  Not Swedish blue, but still hygge, if you know what I mean.  You sort of picture dim, snowy winter sun shining into gleaming light wood floors, and bright but light colors to go with it.  

Regarding snowflakes, yes, I meant those white cut out ones.

One thing I forgot to mention that I have not tried yet but that intrigues me is making a star shape on waxed paper with white glue, and then sprinkling it with gold or silver glitter, heavily, and letting it dry.  In theory when you peel off the waxed paper you end up with a glitter star.  Might try that next year, finally.

And, no, it’s not the texture of the throw that makes it seem cozy to DH.  It is that that was a dominant style point in cabin culture of North Wisconsin when he was growing up.  So you’d go out hunting all day, and be so cold you wondered whether you were even intact, and then come back inside for hot toddy’s and a blanket huddle.  Our black and white one is very soft fleece, and he thinks that that is really not authentic—apparently it is supposed to be heavy, scratchy wool.  I think he misses the smell of it.  This is kind of the look of it, although the rounded corners are Not OK.  https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/outdoors/northwoods-plaid-blanket.htm

Anyway, I don’t have those associations, but I respect them.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Katy said:

The blues are what I have as a "base color" so to speak. I strive for an open beachy/spa overall, but it needs to be warmed up. I have light blue pillows, a large vase with graduated shades of blue, a dark blue striped table runner. The green you have here seems more spring like to me. What about this more muted green to go with the blues?

I just discovered Kirkland's has a section called "Winter Farmhouse" which holds a few possible ideas. I think I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive throw and maybe an inexpensive pillow cover or two.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

The blues are what I have as a "base color" so to speak. I have light blue pillows, a large vase with graduated shades of blue, a dark blue striped table runner. The green you have here seems more spring like to me. What about this more muted green to go with the blues?

I just discovered Kirkland's has a section called "Winter Farmhouse" which holds a few possible ideas. I think I'm mainly looking for an inexpensive throw and maybe an inexpensive pillow cover or two.

To me that green is too dull.  (I mean, I like it, but it’s not what I’m referring to.)

More like this, is what I mean:  https://www.google.com/search?q=light+bright+green&client=safari&hl=en-us&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=-Ii-092Xd9HtHM%2C669aMYZ6WIlubM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQV-4vWbf0XPBM4HPu-M1QOtSd5vQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiN6Jm48oDuAhUMeKwKHdkZCnwQ9QF6BAgKEAE&biw=1269&bih=1179&dpr=2#imgrc=-Ii-092Xd9HtHM&imgdii=QHHeW8mbak08_M

And here is the blue that screams winter to me:  https://www.google.com/search?q=icy+light+blue&client=safari&hl=en-us&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=I3bm1VaTo30xTM%2CVjSAI9cbKJUomM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR4H3ltXN_6RozgvNvlYJbl5jkpSg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizcno8oDuAhUCXKwKHYoCAVYQ9QF6BAgKEAE&biw=1261&bih=1172&dpr=2#imgrc=9Y6LyCgbg0bUGM

(In both this and the prior post, it’s the color square with black around it in the upper right of the image that is the color I mean.)

1 minute ago, Carol in Cal. said:

That's really pretty, but it's more spring and summer than I want to go after right now.

At the top of this page, the banner titled "Our favorite pillow pairings" changes color schemes - I like the blue one. It's making me think maybe a little bit of texture is what I am after - just at a lower price point!

I have two candle holders in the room - they are whitewashed natural wood. I don't usually put candles in them, but instead do large ceramic balls. They are blue and would fit with the colors in that pillow set. Maybe all I really need is a throw.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

And here is the blue that screams winter to me:  https://www.google.com/search?q=icy+light+blue&client=safari&hl=en-us&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=I3bm1VaTo30xTM%2CVjSAI9cbKJUomM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR4H3ltXN_6RozgvNvlYJbl5jkpSg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizcno8oDuAhUCXKwKHYoCAVYQ9QF6BAgKEAE&biw=1261&bih=1172&dpr=2#imgrc=9Y6LyCgbg0bUGM

(In both this and the prior post, it’s the color square with black around it in the upper right of the image that is the color I mean.)

Yes, I figured out what you meant after just a second looking at it!

This blue is really close to some light blue pillows I used during the spring and summer. They look "cold" to me when it's cold outside. I switched them for navy blue pillow covers to go with my burgundy Christmas pillow covers and am thinking about leaving them out. Add some teals and then a throw similar to chunky looking knitted one in the background here, maybe?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Yes, I figured out what you meant after just a second looking at it!

This blue is really close to some light blue pillows I used during the spring and summer. They look "cold" to me when it's cold outside. I switched them for navy blue pillow covers to go with my burgundy Christmas pillow covers and am thinking about leaving them out. Add some teals and then a throw similar to chunky looking knitted one in the background here, maybe?

So, to me you’re going too dark for bright winter, with the teal.  But it could be really nice, just not what you said at first.  Pale, bright lemon yellow sounds like what you might need for that.  Then you could bring the light icy blue cold pillow covers back out and the yellow would warm them a big but not be too springlike.  Or you could leave the navy for a strong contrast with the yellow, very wintry sky at dusk ish. 

Re. The throw—yes, my unofficial title this time of year is Throws R Us.  I have a red one with a light blue book embroidered on it that says, ‘The Snuggle Is Real’, and that is always on my wooden pressed back rocker.  Then there is a pale gray and white chevron weave one on a love seat, and a pale yellow and white light quilt on the other love seat.  Because the red is the only red in the big room, and because the embroidery is not green, it doesn’t look Christmassy so I leave it out.

Of the knitted ones in your picture, I would want the Colossal Knit pattern but knit in the heathered chambray or cloud blue color.  

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

So, to me you’re going too dark for bright winter, with the teal.  But it could be really nice, just not what you said at first.  Pale, bright lemon yellow sounds like what you might need for that.  Then you could bring the light icy blue cold pillow covers back out and the yellow would warm them a big but not be too springlike.  Or you could leave the navy for a strong contrast with the yellow, very wintry sky at dusk ish. 

Re. The throw—yes, my unofficial title this time of year is Throws R Us.  I have a red one with a light blue book embroidered on it that says, ‘The Snuggle Is Real’, and that is always on my wooden pressed back rocker.  Then there is a pale gray and white chevron weave one on a love seat, and a pale yellow and white light quilt on the other love seat.  Because the red is the only red in the big room, and because the embroidery is not green, it doesn’t look Christmassy so I leave it out.

Of the knitted ones in your picture, I would want the Colossal Knit pattern but knit in the heathered chambray or cloud blue color.  

Maybe a better description than what I used at first would be cozy but not claustrophobic? I still want the room to feel open. 

I like the colossal knit pattern throw, too. 

Yellow is one of the Pantone colors of the year. Can you find any samples of the yellow you are thinking of? 

These are the Pantone colors of the year, but I haven’t seen any of the yellow in practice yet. It looks a little orangey to me, but that could just be me. 

Edited by TechWife

I like this one:  

https://www.glidden.com/colors/yellow/lazy-daizy

See how it’s strong but still icy?  And bright but not hot or pastelled?  

I think it would be really striking with navy blue, and stunning with icy bright light blue.  I would love the yellow in velvet on throw pillows, and the light blue on a throw.  And with arm knitting being so fast, I would probably make the throw myself if I could find that color yarn (which is often daunting.)

I use fresh pine boughs in bowls and vases for Christmas and winter decorating. Amidst the Santa and snowmen, it seems Christmassy. Remove those and mix in some more natural, chucky material potpourri items. I like fairy lights mixed in and a fun punch of color. Dark dried oranges, Red  natural looking cardinal bird, colorful books, etc. I have a pretty light blue ceramic bird I nestle in a bowl of pine bows that instantly removes the Christmas vibe and sets the stage for spring. 

• Like 3

My off-the-Christmas-tree decor (blankets/quilts on the couches and chairs, throw pillow covers, and placemats) are in reds and whites with no specific Christmas themes.  They're plaids, solids, and snowflakes, so they work from after Thanksgiving through the end of February. Christmas themed things are Christmas tree ornaments, wrapping paper, a door wreath, stockings, and advent candle arrangements that are only out for the month of December and work with the reds and whites.

• Like 2

I like small white lights, good beeswax candles, a cheery striped tablecloth on my table and a table runner in a complementary color (blue, my favorite) on the nearby buffet. We too do paper snowflakes, just because they are fun. I put them on my storm door. I need a wreath or something for the front  door. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I use fresh pine boughs in bowls and vases for Christmas and winter decorating. Amidst the Santa and snowmen, it seems Christmassy. Remove those and mix in some more natural, chucky material potpourri items. I like fairy lights mixed in and a fun punch of color. Dark dried oranges, Red  natural looking cardinal bird, colorful books, etc. I have a pretty light blue ceramic bird I nestle in a bowl of pine bows that instantly removes the Christmas vibe and sets the stage for spring. 

That sounds lovely, Tap.

• Like 1

I think some of this is regional. When we lived in the south, winter temps were in the 60s and 70s. Thick blankets and sweater themed stuff didn’t make sense. After Christmas was put away, I brought in the early spring stuff because that matched—so pale pinks and whites—playing up Valentine’s Day a bit early.

Here, the light quality is very soft and everything feels cozy. All of the beds have throws on them. So do the couches. I have a lot of white cozy things everywhere, and candles, and lots of fresh greens. Everything is pared down visually and bare. It’s also fairly monochrome, but I have built up texture.   I do much less with color here—all of those colors mentioned upthread (blues and yellows) would feel garish with the low light quality. A more scandi look (white, wood, natural greens with a small pop of a color here or there) feels better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

The blues are what I have as a "base color" so to speak. I strive for an open beachy/spa overall, but it needs to be warmed up. I have light blue pillows, a large vase with graduated shades of blue, a dark blue striped table runner. The green you have here seems more spring like to me. What about this more muted green to go with the blues?

looks beautiful to me.

• Like 1

I keep out some fleece throws that make it look more cozy. I'll take down my angel/christmas stuff soon and switch over to Valentine's decor. So towels, things on the tops of cabinets, etc. will go to valentines.

Have you tried going to Hobby Lobby? They are happy to keep you stocked with decorating clutter for every season. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Do you do table runners? That's another thing I change with the seasons/holidays. Right now it's of course a red/green holiday thing, but I'll put that off in the coming week and change to something neutral. I have spring/easter runners but that's later. For Jan/Feb I need something that isn't all the way to spring but isn't Christmas either. And then I'll put some fenton (white milk glass) on it and candles and bring in valentine's colors.

I change out curtains in a basement bedroom because in the winter I use insulated dark ones. In the spring I'll change them out to a thin summery print that lets in more light. But that's the only room that really, really ranges for colors. I rearrange furniture for Christmas, so then I put it back, which makes it fresh.

I like the idea of the candles, but like with the curtains I think utility can drive it. Do you need candles there? And if you liked that look, why not do it before Christmas to enjoy it longer? By mid-January you can decorate for Valentine's, and after that go to a green /St Patrick's look that bridges into easter/spring. So I'll bring out green glass at that point and green accents in March but won't go all the way to bunnies till April, assuming that's when Easter is. Then in May I'll go all the way to flowers and my summer look. (Pioneer Woman stuff, woo woo!)

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

After Christmas was put away, I brought in the early spring stuff because that matched—so pale pinks and whites—playing up Valentine’s Day a bit early.

It took me a while to realize that the *clothes* in the stores were following the decorating trends. So the clothes switch over to Valentine's colors and themes and I switch my decor. 

44 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I keep out some fleece throws that make it look more cozy. I'll take down my angel/christmas stuff soon and switch over to Valentine's decor. So towels, things on the tops of cabinets, etc. will go to valentines.

Have you tried going to Hobby Lobby? They are happy to keep you stocked with decorating clutter for every season. :biggrin:

Hobby lobby is a good idea. I’ll check out their website. Thanks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do you do table runners? That's another thing I change with the seasons/holidays. Right now it's of course a red/green holiday thing, but I'll put that off in the coming week and change to something neutral. I have spring/easter runners but that's later. For Jan/Feb I need something that isn't all the way to spring but isn't Christmas either. And then I'll put some fenton (white milk glass) on it and candles and bring in valentine's colors.

I change out curtains in a basement bedroom because in the winter I use insulated dark ones. In the spring I'll change them out to a thin summery print that lets in more light. But that's the only room that really, really ranges for colors. I rearrange furniture for Christmas, so then I put it back, which makes it fresh.

I like the idea of the candles, but like with the curtains I think utility can drive it. Do you need candles there? And if you liked that look, why not do it before Christmas to enjoy it longer? By mid-January you can decorate for Valentine's, and after that go to a green /St Patrick's look that bridges into easter/spring. So I'll bring out green glass at that point and green accents in March but won't go all the way to bunnies till April, assuming that's when Easter is. Then in May I'll go all the way to flowers and my summer look. (Pioneer Woman stuff, woo woo!)

I want to go seasonal, but not by holiday except for Christmas. I have a blue striped table runner that I’m thinking of pulling out. I will put the balls back on the candle holders, right now they are holding Christmas ornaments. I don’t have curtains at all & am not adding them. 

Who has pioneer woman stuff? I have t seen it before. 

I do greenery on my mantel - with LED candles, and just leave them out.  I also have a number of silk poinsettias I've purchased over the years and leave them out.  (and they don't die, or drop their leaves, and I don't have to water them  . . . . )  

Some years I've done tissue paper snowflakes on my living/dining room windows.  Which I really enjoy, and leave those up until early February.  (it's even better if we actually get snow . . . . )

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I want to go seasonal, but not by holiday except for Christmas. I have a blue striped table runner that I’m thinking of pulling out. I will put the balls back on the candle holders, right now they are holding Christmas ornaments. I don’t have curtains at all & am not adding them. 

Who has pioneer woman stuff? I have t seen it before. 

Walmart. Look in their kitchen section and you'll probably find a whole aisle. It's a lot of cute stuff, and some might resonate with you to span seasons.

I have a lot of milk glass, so it's kind of multi seasonal. I think if you want to decorate and have some span, then neutral like that works. So I have a lace table runner that can span seasons, that kind of thing. Then the seasonal touch is something like Dove chocolates or Hershey's kisses in cute holiday wrappers. Although really I'm more likely to keep out ginger chews these days. I so do not need to eat candy, lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Hmmm...the only "winter decorating" done here are the piles of snow that come in on people's boots, along with the ice buildup on the back door when it's -35 degrees! Do the piles of drying mittens and skis count as decor?

Are the mittens hung aesthetically from strings?  and the skis crossed (supposedly so they don't fall over)?  - i've actually seen mt. top cabin photos staged that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Are the mittens hung aesthetically from strings?  and the skis crossed (supposedly so they don't fall over)?  - i've actually seen mt. top cabin photos staged that way.

A lot of rental homes around here are decorated that way! (We’re an actual ski area.) But it always feels weird to me that they stay decorated that way through the summer, lol.  We’ve toyed with the idea of a wooden sled and stuff like that, but it seems like such a pain to change out.

My main “aesthetic”, lol, is usually to switch out the kids’ seasonal artwork on the mantle. But whoever posted those incredible sweater covered vases (candle holders?) has me wanting to go all Instagram. I browsed a few online stores and decided I’m not cut out for creating a vision that way, but I can’t bring myself to do in-person deal hunting the way our area is right now. 😞 So now I’m just listening in for ideas for next year!

P.S. I don’t know if they were Command brand, but I got Velcro removable strips from amazon to “hang” the kids’ Christmassy artwork this year, and they worked beautifully. Most things that fit or could be trimmed to fit went in really cheap, lightweight black frames, also from Amazon. As someone who isn’t great with decorating or, in the past, taking care of kids’ most special artwork, It’s been a fun way to change things up and make little kid art look “finished”.  Credit to our former co-op, where art teachers inexpensively framed lots of art show pieces and sent them home that way!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TechWife said:

Hobby lobby is a good idea. I’ll check out their website. Thanks.

Hobby lobby has a bit of spring stuff out, and a lot of summer coastal decor, at least in my local store. Had to go two days before Christmas because one of the jersey frames ai use for quilts got broken and they had ONE tree left. It was 9’ tall & metallic. 

16 hours ago, TechWife said:

Wait, what do you do for personalized coasters?

Your home sounds beautiful in the winter.

Wendy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TechWife said:

Can you share an example of your candle holders and blue striped table runner? I'm decorating-challenged.

Wendy

46 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Wait, what do you do for personalized coasters?

Your home sounds beautiful in the winter.

Wendy

I received a Cricut for Christmas. I think this time I’ll use permanent vinyl for them - thinking a simple last name letter monogram. Next time I might be brave enough to try the infusible ink and then they will be smooth, but I’m not there yet! Blank coasters are fairly inexpensive, so it isn’t a big $$ outlay. 

• Like 1