Menu

How do I get on the politics board?

KungFuPanda

I have no idea, but I'm right there with you! Hopefully we'll see some progress tomorrow morning. Nevada says it will start reporting again tomorrow at 9 a.m.

"Thorley says the next update will be tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. He also told us starting at 9, election results will load one county at a time on the website."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/nevada-election-results-update-wont-come-until-thursday/amp/

Edited by IfIOnly
Not interested in joining the politics board though.

1 minute ago, busymama7 said:

Oh gosh no 😂🤣

It is Ne(probably supposed to be a long E but sounds like a short I or even like uh) 

Va(short a as in apple)

Da(like uh)

okay.... I see. It's wrong to say the "neh" as in "eh? I can't hear you?" right?

I do say nuh-vah-duh or ni(short i)-vah-duh. So sounds like I'm mostly correct. I just mis-interpreted the phonetic spelling above. 😅 It's been a long couple of days... lol

1 minute ago, kand said:

I think the it’s the middle syllable that people get wrong. -va- rather than -vah-

like with a long a sound? Ne-vay-duh?

I now have an urge to ask random people to say Nevada out loud just to see if they're pronouncing it weirdly or not! lol! In general, everyday life, Nevada isn't a word/state that comes up hardly ever (never?). People I know just say they "went out to Reno," which I always think is in California! 😂

11 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

okay.... I see. It's wrong to say the "neh" as in "eh? I can't hear you?" right?

I do say nuh-vah-duh or ni(short i)-vah-duh. So sounds like I'm mostly correct. I just mis-interpreted the phonetic spelling above. 😅 It's been a long couple of days... lol

No "VAH".  Its va like cat. I can't think of another syllable that ends in this sound with an "a" so it is unusual but it is "correct" according to those who live here. The "ah" in the second syllable drives us BATTY. 

• Like 1

Just now, busymama7 said:

No "VAH".  Its va like cat. I can't think of another syllable that ends in this sound with an "a" so it is unusual but it is "correct" according to those who live here. The "ah" in the second syllable drives us BATTY. 

gotcha! 👍 When someone in my house is awake tomorrow I'll have to say it out loud to see if I have an ah sound in there or not! lol

🤣🤣🤣 Just saw the video! YUP! I've been saying it wrong my entire life. Who knew!?! I guess I've never met a person from Nevada to set me straight! 😂 I am a new woman!

(I HAVE heard people say it this way and thought, surely, that they were misinformed... lol)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Wow thanks for making it One Click for me.  I’m now “pending.”

Thanks for starting the thread. I always see moderators asking people to take certain threads to the politics board, but never before have I searched for it or thought about joining it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also I fully accept that it might be completely impossible to explain by text in Australian 🙂 

its been interesting trying to teach reading to my kids phonetically with American resources at times.

same. I have had some moments where I am trying to work out how in the earth are they getting that word to rhyme with the other listed words Or when it something that says put these words under the correct sound of "a"... um in Aussie there are 5 sounds of "a"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'A' sounds are difficult.  My MIL (Texas) used to pronounce my name (to my ears) as 'Larra'.  I pronounce it 'Law-ruh'.  Neither of us is wrong, just using our own accents.  I'll try for a short 'a' in the middle of Nevada, but in my southern English RP accent, mostly A is long ('graph' is 'grahph', 'cast' is 'cahst').

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pen said:

Subject zig zag:

How are your vegetables plants doing?    

Mine are unhappy.  

Sadly, they’re mostly over. I’m firmly in leaf harvesting season. 😞 All I have left is leaf lettuce, a few herbs, some green onions, and three cabbages. I moved all of my houseplants back inside until spring and potted up three peppers in my first attempt to overwinter them. I’m going to do some begonia and coleus cuttings this week to try and get a few new plants going in the house. I’m pulling in the hanging baskets and trimming the impatiens in them to see if I can keep them alive indoors. I have two bushes coming and I’m starting to wonder if they’ll get here before it’s too cold to plant them. They’re taking forever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paige said:

Nevada= Ne-Va-Da=Ne (short e sort of cross between e in Ned and uh as in “nuh- uh”) Va (rhymes with paw) Da (duh)

Accent on “Va”

That’s how we say it in the mid south with city inflection 

This is the issue.  Your 'paw', or my MIL's Lau (in Laura) sounds like my A in cat.  We think we are talking about the same vowels, but we can't hear our own accents.

7 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

This is the issue.  Your 'paw', or my MIL's Lau (in Laura) sounds like my A in cat.  We think we are talking about the same vowels, but we can't hear our own accents.

How about the a in the falalalalas in Deck the Halls? Or when your dentist says open your mouth and say ah? Or do you all open your mouths and say ah but it still sounds like the a in cat? Hall? Y’all? I say Nevada with an ah sound.

12 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I twitch whenever I hear a broad a on Nevada. It’s short like cat and tab, not broad like ball and fawn.  But I hear a lot of the East and south making it broad for some reason. Regionally though, the southwest and west coast does it short in general.

4 minutes ago, Paige said:

How about the a in the falalalalas in Deck the Halls? Or when your dentist says open your mouth and say ah? Or do you all open your mouths and say ah but it still sounds like the a in cat? Hall? Y’all? I say Nevada with an ah sound.

Falalala starts off like 'cat' then moves closer to a schwa.  The dentist is 'a'.

Hall is like 'paw'.  I can only say 'Y'all' in someone else's accent.  I've attached a voice file; I don't know if you can access it.Record (online-voice-recorder.com).mp3

• Thanks 1

This is hard. In our area we say it  like the a in “awwwww” what a sweet kitten. Or if Americans are confused about something, and then you get it and say the first a in “ah hah!” Or the ba in Obama? 

But honestly, sometimes British people will say there’s a difference in the way they say 2 words or sounds and I don’t hear the distinction. It sounds the same to me and  I don’t think I’m unusual. We don’t hear the vowel differences that you hear. When I hear you (or whoever) say paw it’s almost how I expect it to sound, but you’d need to draw that last vowel out a couple more seconds to match me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arctic Bunny said:

I am so confused. I started off thinking I’d been saying it wrong and that Ne-vad-a (or Ne-VADD-a, as a pp said) is correct. Now that we’ve thrown fall, Obama, doll, and fa-la-la’s in (which honestly all sound different to me), I’m just going to avoid it, lol.

Ignore us.  We are just chatting.  I'm trying to remember to say Ne-VADD-a.  Everything else was just my maundering.

There is a town in Iowa that is spelled the same but pronounced with a long a like in way or pay.  Ne-vay-da.  For five years I lived near enough that hearing the town name was much more common than hearing the state name.  Then I moved to an area where I don’t hear or say either of them regularly and now when I try to say the name of the state I get as far as “Ne . . “ and then my brain freezes and I have to stop and think about which pronunciation is which.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Plum said:

You guys are acting like our state and city names follow English phonics rules. You all know that they are named using Native American, Spanish, English, French and others languages that are sometimes colloquial for the area.  

The A in Nevada is like the a in apple, not ahhh. 

Oh absolutely.  I completely accept particular place name pronunciations.  Ne-VADD-a all the way.  We had moved on to general chat. 

For a fun place name peculiarity: the towns of St Albans in England and St Andrews in Scotland do not have apostrophes, despite each being a shortening for the the saint's town.  This is because the towns predate the establishment of the apostrophe.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Plum said:

You guys are acting like our state and city names follow English phonics rules. You all know that they are named using Native American, Spanish, English, French and others languages that are sometimes colloquial for the area.  

I’m now going to count this as today’s ‘you learn something new everyday’ thing. I can now take the rest of the day off.😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, easypeasy said:

like with a long a sound? Ne-vay-duh?

I now have an urge to ask random people to say Nevada out loud just to see if they're pronouncing it weirdly or not! lol! In general, everyday life, Nevada isn't a word/state that comes up hardly ever (never?). People I know just say they "went out to Reno," which I always think is in California! 😂

My DD has made regular trips to Reno (as has our family) due to a specific program she participates in that is housed at UNR. When we made our first trip, an older woman that I started talking to on the plane schooled me in the proper way to pronounce Nevada, “so she won’t stand out”.  

BTW-Nevada is on Pacific time, so adjust accordingly if you’re farther East, so a 9:00 update, unless there is some standard time zone for election returns, would be noon in Washington DC. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Plum said:

I get that. More people can say Nevada correctly than even attempt the name of my province.

33 minutes ago, Plum said:

Sorry that came off grumpier than intended. Naming origins here vary so wildly. 

That is interesting about apostrophes. The stuff you never thing of, right? Isn’t there a city in the UK somewhere that has the longest name? I saw a weather man say it once in YouTube. I want to say it was in Wales but I may be waaaay off. 

No problem.

It's Llanfair PG.  My best friend when I was a teenager was Welsh-speaking, so she taught me to say it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Edited by Laura Corin

So if Nevadans (Nevadians?) can get up in arms over people mispronouncing their state can Floridians do the same? It's especially an issue with people from the Northeast U.S. who call it Flah-rida (as in fa la la). The correct pronunciation is Floor-ida. Flora as in the Spanish pronunciation though we don't pronounce the i the way they would. 😄 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Yes. Sometimes the same spelled name isn’t said the same in different places. 

Such as Houston   - Hyu sound in Texas

How sound for the street in NYC.

1 hour ago, Plum said:

If one has a typical Western US accent then the explanation that it is like the a in Apple definitely works. 

I could also say the middle a in Nevada should be like the first and third a in Alabama or the first a in Montana, and **not** like the a in Colorado,  but that still perhaps only helps if a sounds in Alabama and Colorado are said with my US accent.  Some people seem to do the exact opposite. 

The a in Apple is itself said differently in some other places.   Even other parts of America and even more different in other countries.  

That very broad, flat a sound we use for Nevada typifies an “American” accent and is part of what British actors change if doing an “American” accent.  I learned English mostly initially where there was a lot of English accent and that flat, broad American sound was something I switched to. 

Some regional American accents several “a” sounds demonstrated in a few examples: 

https://youtu.be/_8ZNnlYvXw0

Comedy:

https://youtu.be/UCo0hSFAWOc

Edited by Pen

57 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

So if Nevadans (Nevadians?) can get up in arms over people mispronouncing their state can Floridians do the same? It's especially an issue with people from the Northeast U.S. who call it Flah-rida (as in fa la la). The correct pronunciation is Floor-ida. Flora as in the Spanish pronunciation though we don't pronounce the i the way they would. 😄 

See, I definitely chalk that up to accent. The Nevada thing is people choosing the wrong vowel sound. The Florida thing is that being the way North-easterners pronounce that vowel sound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Uh oh.  I say it with a short 'o' like 'top'. I'll work on that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

U

Say the first a in Nevada like you said a in cat on your recording. 

The o in Florida is close to the au in your name but a single, quicker sound. Might be like the o in your last name?  

I think it both follows Spanish o and r controlled vowel sound for English — including the word “for”. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

Say the first a in Nevada like you said a in cat on your recording. 

The o in Florida is close to the au in your name but a single, quicker sound. Might be like the o in your last name?  

I think it both follows Spanish o and r controlled vowel sound for English — including the word “for”. 

Add Florida to the list of things I’ve been saying wrong in my head.  The only thing is I suspect if I say Nevada or Florida correctly here everyone will think I’m either saying them incorrectly or putting on a fake American accent.

• Like 1