Menu

A Dog AND A Cat????

Spy Car

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Dumb question, but how do you meet a cat virtually?  Do they have Zoom sessions with cats at the shelter?  

We did a Facetime meeting. Perfect in Covid times.

He has been staying in a foster home with a very nice woman--and very nearby. The poor guy had a broken leg and needed surgery. All fixed now. About 6 month old.

We could see that he's really (really) sweet with his foster mom (who has a dog).

Tomorrow we meet for real. I think he's coming home with us.

Another photo (this is how they suck people into the cat cult, I'm telling you).

Bill

LdtA8Ay.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Welp, seeing this thread again totally made it worth it to pop in tonight. 

So, um, what are you going to name your cat? (Did I miss the name?)  

Not sure on the name. Currently going by Tiger or Tigere.

Not sure those names will stick.

Bill

Welcome to the cat cult. It's really a great place to be. 

I converted after we adopted a grumpy calico ten years ago. I still love dogs, but cats are just really cool!

I'm still lobbying for the name Xerxes, but I'll accept whatever the cat allows you to call him.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

Welcome to the cat cult. It's really a great place to be. 

I converted after we adopted a grumpy calico ten years ago. I still love dogs, but cats are just really cool!

I'm still lobbying for the name Xerxes, but I'll accept whatever the cat allows you to call him.

I like your avatar. LOL.

What have I done?

Bill

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Technically, have? Not quite yet. Tomorrow? Perhaps.

We met this guy virtually this evening. My wife has been stalking this cat all week online. 

I think we are adopting a cat.

Bill

mia6mqc.jpg

Internet stalking is how I got my wolfadogadoodle. I saw her photo online and kept going back to it over and over like a lovesick teenager. Told myself it wasn't the right time for another dog. she's been with us for 3 yrs now. 

• Like 3

My mutt (40% pit, 30% Australian cattle herder, remainder super-mutt) sees all 4 legged creatures as enemies to be eaten. She’s fast and strong and has caught chipmunks and birds before. She once met a family cat and had no hesitation trying to kill it. A vicious swipe from the cat and deep cut on her nose did nothing to dissuade. You’re right to be concerned. 

Just now, lauraw4321 said:

My mutt (40% pit, 30% Australian cattle herder, remainder super-mutt) sees all 4 legged creatures as enemies to be eaten. She’s fast and strong and has caught chipmunks and birds before. She once met a family cat and had no hesitation trying to kill it. A vicious swipe from the cat and deep cut on her nose did nothing to dissuade. You’re right to be concerned. 

This is what I get for not reading threads. Beautiful cat!

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

Oops, I hadn't read this far yet! Or "Milagro" because Bill was talked into it!

"Milagro" would be perfect on so many levels. I can't believe this is actually happening.

What is it about October? Like nesting impulse kicks in or something???

Good thing Milagro is cute.

Forgive me if I'm radio silent for a bit, in a scramble preparing. In two hours we are going to...

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We very carefully and purposefully trained our dog to accept our rabbits and cat. I know that you are good at dog training, Bill and won’t just “see what happens “. 

Yeah, I want this to go well. It will. Chester is very gentle, but part of his mind is going to explode.

Bill

• Like 2

Super quick update.

Our kitty is home. He is smaller than I figured. Sweet as can be. Has not been eaten by the dog (yet).

Trying to do the cat/dog thing slowly. Chester is behaving predictably. Good, but this is a lot for him tp take in. Kitty seems relaxed.

Just fed kitty for the first time. Offered up a number of options: wet Royal Canin (what he's been eating), raw diced chicken thigh meat, raw pork, cooked chicken, and cooked pork.

The little guy ate them all. Raw chicken first, raw pork next, cooked chicken, cooked pork, then the canned food last. Still seemed hungry so I gave him more raw chicken and pork.

Think he will fit in. LOL.

Bill

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Super quick update.

Our kitty is home. He is smaller than I figured. Sweet as can be. Has not been eaten by the dog (yet).

Trying to do the cat/dog thing slowly. Chester is behaving predictably. Good, but this is a lot for him tp take in. Kitty seems relaxed.

Just fed kitty for the first time. Offered up a number of options: wet Royal Canin (what he's been eating), raw diced chicken thigh meat, raw pork, cooked chicken, and cooked pork.

The little guy ate them all. Raw chicken first, raw pork next, cooked chicken, cooked pork, then the canned food last. Still seemed hungry so I gave him more raw chicken and pork.

Think he will fit in. LOL.

Bill

Our cat will eat until the food is all gone and cry for more. We have to limit her or she will get over weight quickly. 

• Like 1

I assume you have done research and it's safe to feed cats raw chicken and pork?  I have always left a bowl of dry kibble out for free feeding as well as feeding canned food at particular times of day, and my cats have always walked away from food when they were full, but I definitely know cats that will eat until they puke.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Our cat will eat until the food is all gone and cry for more. We have to limit her or she will get over weight quickly. 

I'm always really careful about making sure animals stay lean. This little guy needs a little bulking up. He's a little under-developed. Poor guy had a bad femur break, cast, and one of those external stabilizers to keep it all together.

I think he will do well with some good nourishment. I was pleased he went for the good stuff first tonight. Plus he quit when he got full. Still feeling my way when it comes to how much a cat will eat. I intentionally underfed with my first round. Was curious if he be picky. 

Bill

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I assume you have done research and it's safe to feed cats raw chicken and pork?  I have always left a bowl of dry kibble out for free feeding as well as feeding canned food at particular times of day, and my cats have always walked away from food when they were full, but I definitely know cats that will eat until they puke.  

The foster did the free feed dry kibble and regular wet-canned routine. Pretty typical it seems.

I might try something different, as with the dog. Kitty doesn't seem to object so far.

We'll see.

Bill

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm always really careful about making sure animals stay lean. This little guy needs a little bulking up. He's a little under-developed. Poor guy had a bad femur break, cast, and one of those external stabilizers to keep it all together.

I think he will do well with some good nourishment. I was pleased he went for the good stuff first tonight. Plus he quit when he got full. Still feeling my way when it comes to how much a cat will eat. I intentionally underfed with my first round. Was curious if he be picky. 

Bill

When we got our little stray she was half starved…. 7 pounds. After 3 months we took her back to the vet. She had gained like 8 pounds. Vet told us to stop feeding her so much

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, barnwife said:

First things first. I am glad kitty has found a good home. Second, please fill this post with pics of kitty. 

Hope all continues to go well as kitty settles in (especially that kitty continues to get food, not be food). 

The dog/cat interaction thus far is encouraging. The kitty is chill and Chester (whose mind must be blown) is being really good. Can't have hoped for a better start--all things considered.

Bill

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

When we got our little stray she was half starved…. 7 pounds. After 3 months we took her back to the vet. She had gained like 8 pounds. Vet told us to stop feeding her so much

I promise that I will not let the kitty get overweight.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

Cute cat. I presume you know about the requirement to add taurine and other supplements to raw cat food?

No need to add taurine supplements as turkey, dark meat chicken, beef heart, and organs are naturally taurine-rich foods.

I am very aware of cat's essential need for taurine.

I don't think feeding Chinese made synthetic taurine power is preferable to feeding taurine-rich real food. To the contrary, in fact.

Bill

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

The thing about cats is that's hard to stop at one. We are down to 4 now after one died last year. It's easy to picture how crazy cat ladies become crazy cat ladies.

They pressed us hard to take two.

I can't believe I said yes to one. LOL.

Bill

Just now, Terabith said:

There are really compelling reasons to get two, especially if they are kittens.  

You sound just like them :tongue:

Things are going well (as could be expected) with the dog--but his instincts and prey drive are high. I need to be ever vigilant. Wrangling two kittens, not possible.

Kitty is fun to feed. He seems to like everything.

He just ate a whole chicken heart. Looks at it, like "how do I eat this?" Then did some licking, but still seemed puzzled. Finally used his whits and tore off a corner. And proceeded.

Then he had another challenging portion. A piece of tendon/cartilage that I saved for him off a beef hoof I used for in my stock for making Pozole.

The boiled beef hoof had a lot yummy cartilage that's my favorite. I shared. He likes it. 

A a superior poop in the right place. So far so good.

Bill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

There are really compelling reasons to get two, especially if they are kittens.  

Yep. The rescue we foster for does will not adopt out single kittens unless there is already another kitten in the house, due to the high risk of behavioral issues in single kittens. Six months is on the border though. At six months, they will start allowing a cat to be adopted alone. Hopefully this cat has been raised with other kittens up to this point in his/her life, though. We had one cat with single kitten syndrome (didn't know any better at the time). Was fine with us, but boy was it a problem when we had to have a pet sitter and later when we had kids.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yep. The rescue we foster for does will not adopt out single kittens unless there is already another kitten in the house, due to the high risk of behavioral issues in single kittens. Six months is on the border though. At six months, they will start allowing a cat to be adopted alone. Hopefully this cat has been raised with other kittens up to this point in his/her life, though. We had one cat with single kitten syndrome (didn't know any better at the time). Was fine with us, but boy was it a problem when we had to have a pet sitter and later when we had kids.

Yeah, we now have a kitty who was orphaned. She has terrible manners. Getting better, but she is still randomly feral, lol. We know what we are getting into, but yeah. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Reminds me of the of the 'can an only child be happy' type debates.

Well, except it’s totally different because it has to do with how young kittens usually learn behavior, which is through lots of rough play with siblings that also gets appropriately corrected by siblings (and mom) when they get too rough. Human children are primarily socialized by their parents. I have no doubt there are lots of nice kittens out there who are raised singly, but for rescues that deal with cats all the time, they have seen a much higher rate of behavior problems in the kittens that were adopted out as singles.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Idalou said:

I've owned solo kittens my entire life, never had trouble with behavior. May be true, may be bunk. Reminds me of the of the 'can an only child be happy' type debates.

None of the rescues I've volunteered with would dream of insisting on people adopting two kittens. I guess maybe you can get away with that in areas where shelters and rescues aren't overflowing with kittens, but that's not the case here. We're thrilled to adopt out any kitten we can. I do think the "solo kittens have issues" is mostly a fiction.

• Sad 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

None of the rescues I've volunteered with would dream of insisting on people adopting two kittens. I guess maybe you can get away with that in areas where shelters and rescues aren't overflowing with kittens, but that's not the case here. We're thrilled to adopt out any kitten we can. I do think the "solo kittens have issues" is mostly a fiction.

Yeah, I can imagine they can’t do that in places where there are just way too many kittens. Around here, kittens are sought after and usually leave the shelter very soon after arriving. Sometimes there are people waiting at the door for when they open to have a chance to get kittens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm witnessing my first self-grooming session right now.

That amps of the list of "activities" considerably.

Otherwise it was only eating sleeping, head rubs, and avoiding dog.

Bill

Oh, just wait until tonight.

Although it might not happen tonight.

Takes 'em awhile to settle in and feel at home.

But sooner or later . . . it will happen. 😉 

Edited by Pawz4me
feel, not fill (sigh)