Menu

What are you watching on Netflix?

mommyoffive

I took a break from Netflix because most of the British TV series disappeared. I found Britbox, on-line streaming for British shows, and have enjoying masses of great TV series there. Some of these shows may be available elsewhere. Some shows I really enjoyed were:

Jonathan Creek

Rosemary and Thyme

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates

• Like 1

Neither of us (dh and I) have found much on Netflix lately. We're almost through with the first half of Lucifer Season 5 and haven't heard when the rest will be available. We're considering Ozark because we keep hearing so much about it. 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I took a break from Netflix because most of the British TV series disappeared. I found Britbox, on-line streaming for British shows, and have enjoying masses of great TV series there. Some of these shows may be available elsewhere. Some shows I really enjoyed were:

Jonathan Creek

Rosemary and Thyme

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates

We love Britbox! Between that and AcornTV we get our fix of British police/detective/amateur detective series. We're currently watching Jonathan Creek and have already watched the other two on your list. Have you watched The Mallorca Files? We enjoyed that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

Neither of us (dh and I) have found much on Netflix lately. We're almost through with the first half of Lucifer Season 5 and haven't heard when the rest will be available. We're considering Ozark because we keep hearing so much about it. 

We love Britbox! Between that and AcornTV we get our fix of British police/detective/amateur detective series. We're currently watching Jonathan Creek and have already watched the other two on your list. Have you watched The Mallorca Files? We enjoyed that one.

I tried it out, but wasn't thrilled. I had a concussion at the time, though, and the really bright setting was painful to watch. I'll try it again. I liked Death in Paradise. I seem to especially enjoy the shows with British comedians that aren't overt comedies. There are exceptions, though, like Black Books. I wish there were more than 3 seasons of that. We just have to enjoy rewatching all the episodes.

• Like 2

Cobra Kai!  If you watched Karate Kid 100+ times during the 80's like me, this is for you.  

Away (had some mixed feelings but it was compelling enough to keep watching)

Great British Baking's new season will start next Friday the 25th, can't wait

I will also be streaming the new season of Call the Midwife soon. 

I enjoyed Ozark over the summer but I could only do one episode of that at a time because it's so intense and dark.  

Funnier stuff I've enjoyed to varying degrees - The Office, Parks and Rec, Shitt's Creek, Arrested Development, Kim's Convenience, the Guild, Community

I liked a lot of shows already mentioned.   After Life was better than I expected (but a few weird cringe-y scenes wide a side character that I thought didn't belong at all) and I also enjoyed Unorthodox.   

I've been watching Atypical, New Girl and Kim's Convenience on Netflix.

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Just finished Unorthodox, a four-part series based on Deborah Feldman's memoir about leaving her Hasidic community. I can't stop thinking about it--Shira Haas, who plays the 19 year-old protagonist Esty, is absolutely amazing. 

We loved this! We didn't realize it only had 4 episodes so we were super disappointed when we came to watch episode 5...🙄🤣

My husband really like Shtisel. (I think that is how you spell it.) It is set in a neighborhood about 5 minutes walk from here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OKBud said:

The last season Schitts Creek will be there in October 😁

After Life was so good 💜 It was much much sweeter than I anticipated. 

Heard the title before. Can you give a quick overview. All romance? All crime? Something in between? Scifi?

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

I'm watching Deadwind, a Finnish detective series.  

Subtitles or in English? Dh doesn't speak Finnish and doesn't like to read subtitles to follow a movie.

I loved Ripper Street. DH and I recently watched Dark it's German with subtitles. For some reason, even though we don't understand German, we always turned the volume up to watch it. 😆 He's watching The Rain, which I sometimes sit in with him. He's also watching Cobra Kai, which I relentlessly tease him over. We finished Umbrella Academy when it was first out. I'm just not that into it, too much filler which makes the story drag on. Also, I really only like 2 of the siblings. 😲

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

If you were to get just one, would you recommend Britbox or Acorn?

13 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Subtitles or in English? Dh doesn't speak Finnish and doesn't like to read subtitles to follow a movie.

Unfortunately it's subtitles.  My dh doesn't watch the show because subtitles are too difficult for him.  So, it's the series I watch when we're doing our own thing.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

If you were to get just one, would you recommend Britbox or Acorn?

Hmm. That's hard to say because there are shows on both that we like. If it's British mysteries you want, probably Britbox. Acorn has more international mysteries and noir than Britbox though. I like the documentaries on Acorn better.

ETA: You could probably browse through the offerings on the website of both and see what you think.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I'm watching Never Have I Ever right now.  It's produced by Mindy Kaling, and is just the right mix of smart and funny.

I recommend Greenleaf, produced by Oprah Winfrey.  

Really enjoyed Living with Yourself, which is only one season.  Hoping that a second season will be up soon.

• Like 1