Menu

Hurricane Laura Freak Out Here!

chiguirre

Ugghhh. I just read Space City Weather and they were comparing it with Ike. This.is.not.good. It looks like it will be very close to Ike's path and might have stronger winds. That means two weeks without power. I just don't have the mental bandwidth to deal with this on top of Covid. 

• Sad 29

We weren't here for Ike (we were in Brazil) but ugh. I *think* we personally are far enough inland that we'll be okay. I have no clue. 

Currently dealing with what to do with my mom -- she's coastal, and literally her bedroom/living room windows face the bay (she's in a senior living apartment, 3rd/top floor). She says she'll be fine. Only, her place was just built right before Ike, and while her building was totally fine -- the nursing home that *used to be there between her and the bay* took the brunt of the winds, which likely helped protect her building. The nursing home *that used to be there* was damaged badly enough in Ike that it was demolished. So now with it not there to buffer......ha. Yea, not a fun plan for her to stay put. 

BUT, she's not been social distancing AT ALL so we don't really want her here, and juggling what to do with her, my in-laws, my sister-in-law, etc, all who are coastal. Maybe booking assorted motel rooms for everyone.....DH is calling his mom now to sort that out. 

• Sad 11

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

We weren't here for Ike (we were in Brazil) but ugh. I *think* we personally are far enough inland that we'll be okay. I have no clue. 

Currently dealing with what to do with my mom -- she's coastal, and literally her bedroom/living room windows face the bay (she's in a senior living apartment, 3rd/top floor). She says she'll be fine. Only, her place was just built right before Ike, and while her building was totally fine -- the nursing home that *used to be there between her and the bay* took the brunt of the winds, which likely helped protect her building. The nursing home *that used to be there* was damaged badly enough in Ike that it was demolished. So now with it not there to buffer......ha. Yea, not a fun plan for her to stay put. 

BUT, she's not been social distancing AT ALL so we don't really want her here, and juggling what to do with her, my in-laws, my sister-in-law, etc, all who are coastal. Maybe booking assorted motel rooms for everyone.....DH is calling his mom now to sort that out. 

Yes. They have mandatory evacuation in Galveston. If she's in that area, time to go.

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

Can you find an inland air bnb house that might be large enough to accommodate all of them?

Well, not so much. 

MIL has to be alone, bc she's immuno-supressed so super social distancing b/c Covid. 

SIL and her family may or may not be convinced to leave (they claim they have relatives coming to them, which I think is not super smart, they are also in walking distance to the bay, although possibly their specific house might be far enough to avoid storm surge, I don't know, their house wasn't built during Ike, so....)(but they did fine during Harvey, but of course this is a totally different system/type of threat). DH is calling to talk to them (and they have relatives in San Antonio who they could/should go to, where they went during Rita....). 

My mom being not social distancing can't be w/MIL either. But if we can convince SIl to go to her SA relatives, and MIL and my mom to come to the motel near us, we can cover one, MIL can cover her own most likely (or we can cover it too), and then DH says after the storm, if they can't go home, then they'll have been isolated enough to come here. 

19 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh man, that’s a lot to coordinate! I hope everyone will be reasonable and cooperate with a plan. People get irrational when storms approach. 

Okay, got my mom booked at the motel down the street. Has free hot breakfast, fridge/microwave in room, and we can take her meals. If she stays past the 3 days, she'll have been distanced enough DH says she can then come to us. 

SIL has her FIL coming to her house, and says she'll be fine. Okey-dokey, I sure hope so. 

MIL/FIL staying put, they have storm shutters, a generator, and their area has dikes to protect from storm surge, so......okey-dokey. Also multiple dogs and bunnies, so that makes leaving difficult. They did stay during all the others (Ike, Rita, etc.) and were fine, so they should be okay. heck, their house was probably there in Alicia, too, although they weren't in that house at that time, but still. 

My grandma who's right on the coast, too, has already left to my uncle's house (her son's) and is staying there throughout, so that is good. 

We're officially inside the tropical storm warning radius, so, yay us. But that means we won't have hurricane force winds, so that is good. Tropical storm winds we can manage. 

Stay safe, everyone. Even though we weren't here for it, I know Ike was fairly terrible for the coastal areas; prayers for all in the hurricane warning radius. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Okay, got my mom booked at the motel down the street. Has free hot breakfast, fridge/microwave in room, and we can take her meals. If she stays past the 3 days, she'll have been distanced enough DH says she can then come to us. 

SIL has her FIL coming to her house, and says she'll be fine. Okey-dokey, I sure hope so. 

MIL/FIL staying put, they have storm shutters, a generator, and their area has dikes to protect from storm surge, so......okey-dokey. Also multiple dogs and bunnies, so that makes leaving difficult. They did stay during all the others (Ike, Rita, etc.) and were fine, so they should be okay. heck, their house was probably there in Alicia, too, although they weren't in that house at that time, but still.

Was Alicia big?

I was a kid growing up just outside the city limits of Houston at the time (to the north) and I remember it as kind of interesting. My dad stayed on his ham radio rig a lot, listening to weather reports and when the eye came over our house, we got on our bicycles and went around the neighborhood a little.

(My dad worked in downtown Houston and I think he did tell us about windows in their building being blown out and I was glad we were on the north side of Houston)

Edited by vonfirmath

I was a kid back then, too; we lived S. of Houston, and evacuated to Huntsville....which ended up having tornadoes and we had to evacuate from there (we had gone to the state park, in our camper van; we had a pine tree come down on the picnic table at our campsite and they evacuated everyone in the state park over to the college campus. But at our actual house we only I think lost some shingles and stuff, and maybe there were trees down? I don't remember. 

It was also a Category 3, but maybe a smaller one??? My parents were still together, so I was.....8? something like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

I was a kid back then, too; we lived S. of Houston, and evacuated to Huntsville....which ended up having tornadoes and we had to evacuate from there (we had gone to the state park, in our camper van; we had a pine tree come down on the picnic table at our campsite and they evacuated everyone in the state park over to the college campus. But at our actual house we only I think lost some shingles and stuff, and maybe there were trees down? I don't remember. 

It was also a Category 3, but maybe a smaller one??? My parents were still together, so I was.....8? something like that. 

I went and looked it up. "Officially" Category 2. (But I do wonder if at the time they were saying Category 3? At the least it was particularly damaging in $$) 1983.

I was 9, almost 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I went and looked it up. "Officially" Category 2. (But I do wonder if at the time they were saying Category 3? At the least it was particularly damaging in $$) 1983.

I was 9, almost 10.

Ah, okay; that makes sense. I could very well have remembered wrong. So, 1983, then yea, I would have turned 8 shortly after the storm.  For some reason (maybe because of being a kid) it sure seemed like a bigger storm than "just" a category two, but then, I guess a pine tree crashing down mere feet from where you're sleeping has that effect, LOL! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Ugghhh. I just read Space City Weather and they were comparing it with Ike. This.is.not.good. It looks like it will be very close to Ike's path and might have stronger winds. That means two weeks without power. I just don't have the mental bandwidth to deal with this on top of Covid. 

I might freak out with you, though I know Ike might not be a particularly repeatable event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Ike_in_inland_North_America

We had roof damage, a downed tree, and no electricity for over a week. Not cool. I would guess that 70% of the roofs in our neighborhood are a direct result of Ike coming through (SW Ohio).

• Like 1

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Praying no power loss or injuries or damage. 

I'm a native Floridian, grew up on the coast, so I get it. And I also get dealing with relatives that may or may not know when to evacuate. Ugh. that's almost worse than the storm! My parents and I nearly came to blows over it a few storms ago. 

We got a generator this year, which I'm pretty sure means that we won't get any power loss here this year. that's my theory, anyway. That if we spend the money on the generator that means we won't ever use it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Praying no power loss or injuries or damage. 

I'm a native Floridian, grew up on the coast, so I get it. And I also get dealing with relatives that may or may not know when to evacuate. Ugh. that's almost worse than the storm! My parents and I nearly came to blows over it a few storms ago. 

We got a generator this year, which I'm pretty sure means that we won't get any power loss here this year. that's my theory, anyway. That if we spend the money on the generator that means we won't ever use it. 

I remember that, Katie, when you were arguing with your parents over the issue! Ugh. 

Relatives are weird. 

23 hours ago, Seasider too said:

And I just heard Edwards comparing it to Rita. Either way, no good. 

I also heard a reporter yesterday say that tropical storms need a danger rating scale based not just on wind speed, but potential rainfall amounts. I completely agree. 

I'm so sorry. It's turned east and now it's tracking like Rita.

Hugs to everyone in Beaumont and Lake Charles! Stay safe!

• Like 5

My parents are front row Bolivar and are likely staying now that it’s tracking slightly east of Rita path. Not cool.

On the other hand, we are far NW Houston and DH has stripped bare the entire backyard, not just the loose stuff. Super over kill and tons of work to replace in next couple of days.

I am so over everyone else’s crazy. 😡

ETA: I feel terrible for the people in Laura’s path. Lots were pounded by Harvey and the other floods, not to mention the 2020 nightmares. Those poor, poor souls. I had to stop following the Cali fires, too. It’s just too much. 

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

praying for everyone over in the Beaumont/Lake Charles/etc area, and all who will be hit by the storm surge &/or cat 4 winds......I cannot even imagine. 

The National Weather Service office in Lake Charles has even evacuated. 

• Sad 4

On 8/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, chiguirre said:

I'm sorry 😞 We were just without power for a week. I was starting to crack. I might have been able to handle it better if it weren't for the heat.

I hope it isn't two weeks for you.

Kelly

Just an update. Houston area is seeing very little weather thus far. Hurricane moved far enough East that even Galveston and Bolivar will remain relatively unscathed (relatively being key word here). Pray for those this storm hits near the LA/TX state line. The storm is a 4/5 now. Worst and nastiest to ever hit in this area of the coast. Local news reporting quite a few residents of Lake Charles stayed. Phrases such as “unsurvivable” and “utter destruction” are everywhere. 

My BIL parents are 94miles inland in the path and did not leave  😞  Friends’ beach house on coast in direct path but they are home in Houston.  

Godspeed. ☹️

• Sad 8

23 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

Just an update. Houston area is seeing very little weather thus far. Hurricane moved far enough East that even Galveston and Bolivar will remain relatively unscathed (relatively being key word here). Pray for those this storm hits near the LA/TX state line. The storm is a 4/5 now. Worst and nastiest to ever hit in this area of the coast. Local news reporting quite a few residents of Lake Charles stayed. Phrases such as “unsurvivable” and “utter destruction” are everywhere. 

My BIL parents are 94miles inland in the path and did not leave  😞  Friends’ beach house on coast in direct path but they are home in Houston.  

Godspeed. ☹️

No shelters were opened in Calcasieu Parish (where Lake Charles is).  Apparently the usual shelter were not considered safe enough to open in this hurricane.  I grew up there and have never heard of that happening before.  

• Sad 3

The only place I heard deemed safe was the high school in Winnie TX. It was built to withstand a Cat5. It’s not in the path now so first responders are staged there. They shut I10 down completely now in TX and LA. 

Hwy87 on Bolivar is shut down too because the waves have dumped a bunch of rocks on the road. But this happens in thunderstorms too. My parents stayed on Bolivar after the forecast solidified. They are in the opposite end of the peninsula from the rocks. The water hasn’t even covered the beach yet. Forecast is 1-3ft surge there. Normal storm stuff. Of course they cant leave now and the electric always goes out but they are prepared for that. Wouldn’t have been my choice to stay but they are not in real danger. 

Forgive my bad grammar and typing. On my phone. 

Edited by aggie96

4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I was wondering about that. I am also hearing the terms “wiped out” and “obliterated” being used about Lake Charles. I keep thinking of Gulfport and Biloxi after Katrina. 

My cousin who works at St. Pat's Hospital in Lake Charles said they were evacuating the NICU earlier today.  

• Sad 7

Houston area is staged and poised to help as soon as it passes. One good thing from Harvey is that we know how to massively mobilize quickly. Plus Houston stocked up and took preparations seriously that I could see (much better than they have for virus). Now they are staging to send it all to the area. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aggie96 said:

Godspeed. ☹️

In NW Houston here I am about 70 miles inland and I can not imagine any situation in which I would evacuate in a hurricane (we have no people with medical issues, and we live in a sturdy house), nor has the city ever asked us to. Is the BIL's parents' home in a low-lying area?

I am extremely concerned for Lake Charles. And my social media is FULL of people right on the coast or well within the 30 mile storm surge zone who are planning to ride it out and I hope they survive. 

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

In NW Houston here I am about 70 miles inland and I can not imagine any situation in which I would evacuate in a hurricane (we have no people with medical issues, and we live in a sturdy house), nor has the city ever asked us to. Is the BIL's parents' home in a low-lying area?

No word on BIL parents. They are amongst bayou. 
I’m sure beach house in Cameron is gone. Rumors are Cameron is gone.

• Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Uncle in the Lake Charles area has received pictures from a neighbor (my uncle evacuated) and shingles are off of the house and outdoor light fixtures have been pulled off of the house.  

I'm glad that sounds manageable.

16 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Uncle in the Lake Charles area has received pictures from a neighbor (my uncle evacuated) and shingles are off of the house and outdoor light fixtures have been pulled off of the house.  

Ugh. 

Hoping there isn't horrible water damage with the shingle loss, before he gets back and gets tarps on, but he needs to anticipate that. 

I HIGHLY advise contacting a public insurance adjustor (they are actually private companies...no idea why they call them "public", but they do) to help him deal with the insurance company. It has made SUCH a difference for us, to have them negotiate on our behalf. Many many thousands of dollars difference. They take a percentage of what you get, so no outfront fee. And they know how to get you the most money...things I wouldn't have thought of. And if they can't do anything, they will tell you that as well, and not waste their time or yours. They will be BUSY so calling one as soon as possible is a good idea. Talk to them BEFORE talking to the insurance company is the idea, as they can make sure you don't accidentally say something that will be used against you later. For instance, water damage from the roof leaking will be under their hurricane rider if they have one, NOT flood insurance, and if they say "flooding" by accident it can screw it all up. 

One idea of how they helped us - when we had water damage to the floors and bottom cabinets, I would not have realized we could claim the top cabinets too - as they are supposed to match! Or that since the flooring that was damaged in two rooms matches and flows into a third room, they would pay to replace that room as well, so it would match. Etc. Plus getting a quick cash payout to cover hotel stay if need be, etc. 

And take photos - TONS of photos - before removing ANYTHING. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ugh. 

Hoping there isn't horrible water damage with the shingle loss, before he gets back and gets tarps on, but he needs to anticipate that. 

I HIGHLY advise contacting a public insurance adjustor (they are actually private companies...no idea why they call them "public", but they do) to help him deal with the insurance company. It has made SUCH a difference for us, to have them negotiate on our behalf. Many many thousands of dollars difference. They take a percentage of what you get, so no outfront fee. And they know how to get you the most money...things I wouldn't have thought of. And if they can't do anything, they will tell you that as well, and not waste their time or yours. They will be BUSY so calling one as soon as possible is a good idea. Talk to them BEFORE talking to the insurance company is the idea, as they can make sure you don't accidentally say something that will be used against you later. For instance, water damage from the roof leaking will be under their hurricane rider if they have one, NOT flood insurance, and if they say "flooding" by accident it can screw it all up. 

One idea of how they helped us - when we had water damage to the floors and bottom cabinets, I would not have realized we could claim the top cabinets too - as they are supposed to match! Or that since the flooring that was damaged in two rooms matches and flows into a third room, they would pay to replace that room as well, so it would match. Etc. Plus getting a quick cash payout to cover hotel stay if need be, etc. 

And take photos - TONS of photos - before removing ANYTHING. 

Thanks--he (unfortunately) has quite a bit of experience dealing with hurricane damage.  He had 18 trees down in his yard from Rita.  The next hurricane put a tree on his barn at his farm.  As soon as he got all of that fixed another hurricane came and put another tree on top of the barn.  He moved into this new house in the past few years and has no trees near the house.  

• Sad 2

Finally got pictures in from Cameron. The first coastal town that took a direct hit. Houses around friend's house look unscathed. There is sand on underbelly pavement. Not even deep. It's the strangest thing. How is that possible? They were hammered with 130mph winds?

Now hearing scuttle about how the hurricane reporting was way over-hyped and "fake". Lake Charles looks rough, but that is a hop inland from Cameron. The pictures of mass destruction keep repeating on just a handful of places leading people to believe that every were else isn't so bad (knowing these areas have a higher tolerance for damage than non-coastal communities). It doesn't help that news orgs (CNN in particular) keep showing this 1 picture/video of flooded area and calling it Crystal Beach/Bolivar. It's not. For sure. They said that Bolivar highway was under water and impassable. It's not. For sure. Grrrr. That really gets the conspiracy-folks all riled up.

Sigh. Now my family is back on the fake-news bandwagon. No telling how many people won't evacuate next time. 😞 And to top it off, rolling brown-outs. For the first time ever, Bolivar didn't lose power in a storm (of any kind). Now it's been intentionally cut off. People are hoppin' mad. 

Next tragedy, I'm crawling in bed and staying there. Wake me when it's over and don't tell me anything. 😞 I'm tired of hearing EVERYONE's theories. They are a total brain-suck. 

ETA: I just saw a helicopter view of Cameron. It's bad. Pretty stinkin' bad. Standing houses must be a miracle. Off to send my family a link to the video with a piece of humble pie. Hmph.

Edited by aggie96
  • Sad 5