Menu

Steak

DawnM

We were going to get steaks for tomorrow for an anniversary celebration here at the house.   

I was going to go to the local butcher.  I still will go, but I forgot steak prices had risen so high.

I don't know how much their fillet is, but the ribeye is $24/pound.  

It is a special occasion (25th anniversary) but OY!  

Just for reference, it will be the 6 of us and my dad.  Basically, 6 adults.....5 of them males.

What is your favorite steak?  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I usually only get steak at Costco or if my store has a family value pack discount. I like NY strip but the others in my family like Ribeye. Ribeye has more “marbling,” which boosts flavor but I don’t like it because I don’t like to eat a hunk of fat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I usually only get steak at Costco or if my store has a family value pack discount. I like NY strip but the others in my family like Ribeye. Ribeye has more “marbling,” which boosts flavor but I don’t like it because I don’t like to eat a hunk of fat. 

That is normally what we get too.  Hmmm......maybe I should just go this morning and get some Costco steaks.  I need some other Costco stuff anyway.  That way maybe I can also get ribs and we can supplement.

Wonder how much Filets are at Costco.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DawnM said:

That is normally what we get too.  Hmmm......maybe I should just go this morning and get some Costco steaks.  I need some other Costco stuff anyway.  That way maybe I can also get ribs and we can supplement.

Wonder how much Filets are at Costco.

I can’t even guess at the moment because prices have been all over the place. I, personally, don’t ever go to Costco on big holidays or even just before them because I am intensely bothered by huge crowds. But perhaps your Coscto is not as grave. 

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

I can’t even guess at the moment because prices have been all over the place. I, personally, don’t ever go to Costco on big holidays or even just before them because I am intensely bothered by huge crowds. But perhaps your Coscto is not as grave. 

I JUST realized today is a holiday.  They are closed.

UGH.  Poor planning.  Or, I can go first thing tomorrow maybe?

• Like 1

Basic rib eye or scotch is on sale at $40kg here which is roughly the same though maybe slightly better given the dollar.  Thankful for my dhs hunting skills right now.  I cooked lamb chops the other night which we bought.  We’re at that stage where six really isn’t enough so I cooked two packs.  This was too much for us so there was leftovers but I realised after putting them in the oven that it had turned into a $50 dinner!  Ouch... 

We haven't bought steak in a long time, but if I could, I would buy ribeye.  The last steaks we bought were NY strips and that felt quite luxurious.  Around here London Broil - I don't know if it's called that in other places and I don't know what the actual cut of meat is - is popular and a little cheaper (a store had it on sale for $4.99 a pound this week but that was an amazing price) and is a reasonable facsimile for steak when marinated and grilled.  

Edited by marbel

@DawnM Question: Is $24 USD per pound for Grass Fed or Kosher meat?  Or, is it just run of the mill Grain Fed meat? Kosher is the best you can buy.

Because of Covid-19 there have been a lot of meat/poultry plants in the USA that had to be shut down due to sick employees, so there are huge disruptions in the food chain there, due to animals needing to be put down because they couldn't process them.

When I googled, this was the first thing in the SERPs: 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#is-grassfed-beef-worth-it

The taste of Grass Fed beef is different from the taste of Grain Fed beef, so if you are accustomed to one or the other, it will have a different taste. IMO Grass Fed cattle are healthier.  (I think there may be some U.S. style feed lots in extreme Northern Colombia, but that most cattle here are Grass Fed?)

Happy 4th of July!

• Like 1

We also buy our steaks at Costco.  I'm in Northern VA and I just checked Costco's Instacart prices (which are higher than in-store).  This is Choice meat (not Primet) and their Ribeye was $13.49/lb, New York Strip ($10.99/lb), and Filets ($14.69/lb).  Filets are my favorite as it is all tender and you eat pretty much all of it (unlike a rib-eye).  DH likes the ribeyes too though!

I am not a big steak person, so I haven’t been looking much at prices. I did snag a twin pack of London broil at the grocery store the other day for $13 or $14, which was probably around 3lbs total. 
My special occasion steak is filet mignon, but I’m not sure I want to know what that’s running right now.

Even in normal times, I just don’t find other cuts worth their price. Dh does, so he grabs something now and then and I try to avoid looking at the tag!

Steak prices are outrageous.  I buy for my boss often and I about pass out even though it isn't my money.  Dh and I get half a beef once a year so we have a few steaks from that but otherwise we rarely  buy steak.  I can share one with Dh because I only need about 2 ounces. 

If I loved steak I would do it for a special occasion.  Hopefully Costco works out for you.  

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I was going to go to the local butcher. 

I don't know how much their fillet is, but the ribeye is $24/pound.  

The best butcher in my town offers mainly prime cuts of steak, which is very expensive.  Other places offer choice or prime, with choice often being significantly less.  My family is perfectly happy with choice, even for special occasions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

We also buy our steaks at Costco.  I'm in Northern VA and I just checked Costco's Instacart prices (which are higher than in-store).  This is Choice meat (not Primet) and their Ribeye was $13.49/lb, New York Strip ($10.99/lb), and Filets ($14.69/lb).  Filets are my favorite as it is all tender and you eat pretty much all of it (unlike a rib-eye).  DH likes the ribeyes too though!

Thank you.  One of my concerns is that they may be out.  Last time I went to Costco, they were very low on meat, particularly beef.  But maybe we will just go with Plan B if they are out.

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Steak prices are outrageous.  I buy for my boss often and I about pass out even though it isn't my money.  Dh and I get half a beef once a year so we have a few steaks from that but otherwise we rarely  buy steak.  I can share one with Dh because I only need about 2 ounces. 

If I loved steak I would do it for a special occasion.  Hopefully Costco works out for you.  

My dad actually wanted to pay for a catering service to come to the house and have a party, I told him that A. I wouldn't want that, and B. there is Corona virus!   So, I told him I would prefer to have a very nice dinner here at home.  He thinks we are bringing it in restaurant food, but DH and I talked about it, and we would rather buy and grill our own and make our own food so we have leftovers and it will be cheaper.   And, if you remember, I am feeding my dad too, so this will be great to give him a few meals out of it as well.

• Like 2

Just now, DawnM said:

Online it says the Ribeyes are on sale for $24/pound.  

That's probably around the same price.  This was listed as curbside pick up package.

We had a celebration last weekend and that is what we got.  We had a lot leftover and had some great steak and eggs for breakfast and steak and pepper salads.

• Like 2

Just now, Mbelle said:

That's probably around the same price.  This was listed as curbside pick up package.

We had a celebration last weekend and that is what we got.  We had a lot leftover and had some great steak and eggs for breakfast and steak and pepper salads.

Oh, my son said he would love some steak and eggs, he will be happy.  And steak salad sounds good too.

• Like 1

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

I love fatty meat, the less trimmed and more marbled, the better. So I’m a huge fan of rib eye/porterhouse.

My husband won't touch fat in meat and will go to great lengths to cut it all out.  So, an hour and a half later......😂  So he may need something else.

• Like 1

Do you have Kroger?  They run specials every week starting Wed.  At least here this week's specials are Black Angus T-bone and porterhouse steaks at $7.99 a lb. with the store membership card.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

We go to the local butcher and get their special strip steaks (not NY steaks, but thinner). Very flavorful. Price has risen to about $10/lb., up from about $7/lb. 2 years or so ago.

Also, Sprouts grocery stores have natural (no hormone) meats. Fairly regularly they will run a special on their beef, and their meat is pretty tasty.

Edited by Lori D.

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

@DawnM Question: Is $24 USD per pound for Grass Fed or Kosher meat?  Or, is it just run of the mill Grain Fed meat? Kosher is the best you can buy.

Because of Covid-19 there have been a lot of meat/poultry plants in the USA that had to be shut down due to sick employees, so there are huge disruptions in the food chain there, due to animals needing to be put down because they couldn't process them.

When I googled, this was the first thing in the SERPs: 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#is-grassfed-beef-worth-it

The taste of Grass Fed beef is different from the taste of Grain Fed beef, so if you are accustomed to one or the other, it will have a different taste. IMO Grass Fed cattle are healthier.  (I think there may be some U.S. style feed lots in extreme Northern Colombia, but that most cattle here are Grass Fed?)

Happy 4th of July!

My husband thinks the exact opposite lol

I buy steaks at Whole Foods bc I pretend that their quality is better. It's usually either NY strip or Rib eye, I don't pay more than $14.99/lb.

I used to buy T-bone at a local place, my husband would eat the fillet part and kids would eat the other side, but they are only selling "grass fed" stuff and their price have doubled, so we don't buy it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, klmama said:

Do you have Kroger?  They run specials every week starting Wed.  At least here this week's specials are Black Angus T-bone and porterhouse steaks at $7.99 a lb. with the store membership card.

I don't, but thanks for bringing that up, our local grocery store has steak on sale.  Filets for $12/pound.  But they may have limits on how much you can get.  I guess I should get my butt up and go shopping and see.

24 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Thank you.  One of my concerns is that they may be out.  Last time I went to Costco, they were very low on meat, particularly beef.  But maybe we will just go with Plan B if they are out.

I understand.  We've been able to get other beef there, but there wasn't any non-organic ground beef.  If you go, go early :-).  I also got a 5 pack of Clorox wipes my last shop.  Look for those too if you go!

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I understand.  We've been able to get other beef there, but there wasn't any non-organic ground beef.  If you go, go early :-).  I also got a 5 pack of Clorox wipes my last shop.  Look for those too if you go!

I am soooo jealous!!

• Like 1

we used to have a friend who has a farmette and we bought 1/2 a steer every year.  Last year they decided to move to goats 😞   I recently ran out of steaks, so I have no idea how much they cost in the store... but my favorite cuts are T-bone and Porterhouse followed by ribeye.  

I always mixed and matched since the kids didn't really appreciate the finer cuts of meat.   They were happy with sirloin when I would make a butter-garlic sauce for it.  If you slice it thin after cooking it can be tender. 

28 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I am soooo jealous!!

I know!!!  I'm so sorry!!!  I look all the time for these.  There weren't any available to put in my Instacart order.  But...I saw my shopper was shopping, said hi, and asked him to pick up Clorox wipes if he saw them (with an LOL).  Never in a million years.  Next thing I know he says I've got them and added them to your cart.  I literally ran down the stairs so excited to tell my husband and then I started crying -- LOL.  What a mess...  He said they were gone in minutes 😞 !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I know!!!  I'm so sorry!!!  I look all the time for these.  There weren't any available to put in my Instacart order.  But...I saw my shopper was shopping, said hi, and asked him to pick up Clorox wipes if he saw them (with an LOL).  Never in a million years.  Next thing I know he says I've got them and added them to your cart.  I literally ran down the stairs so excited to tell my husband and then I started crying -- LOL.  What a mess...  He said they were gone in minutes 😞 !

I AM happy for you.

I go to BJs and only got wipes twice since this stupid virus started. And whenever I do go to BJs I am there when they open the doors. I am hoping it will get a little easier to get them.... I read somewhere that by July there will be more in stock....

My favorite steak for myself is filet mignon, but it’s pretty expensive and I hardly ever have it.

For company meals, my fave is Steak Au Poivre Vert, which is a flank steak sautéed and then finished with a mustard/green peppercorn cream sauce.  It involves a flambé, which is very dramatic, and it’s reliably very good.  If there are leftovers, which is rare, it reheats well in the oven because of the sauce, unlike most other steaks, or we can chop it up and make it into Mexican meat for street tacos pretty easily.  The key with flank steak is to cut it very thin across the grain.  

We like tri tip also, but I think that is more of a local CA cut.

First of all, you gotta love any thread simply titled "Steak." Thank you!

We also get our steaks from Costco. We get either flank steak or tri-tip steaks--I've heard that's a west coast thing, so not sure if they're available everywhere. I usually buy one or the other on my every-4-to-6-weeks Costco run. Our Costco had no beef other than hamburger early in June🙁. I actually scheduled an extra trip late in the month (but before everyone's payday) to see if it was better and it was. I got flank steak this time--2 in the package for about $36 which seemed typical. I get one of the heavier packages when I get it as one good-size flank steak will do 2 dinners for us. I looked at the tri-tip and it was $50 which seemed high. I have to remember that with 6 steaks, I will grill it 3 different times, and if I can't quite get 2 meals from one grilling of 2 steaks, I do still have leftovers that provides for lunches or I save them up in the freezer for a steak taco night.

Marinade for flank steak:

1/2 cup soy sauce (we do 1/4 c. reduced sodium soy sauce and 1/4 water since dh watches sodium)
1/4 cup oil
juice from one lemon
3 Tbs honey
minced garlic--a clove or two
ginger--I use a good-sized blob of bottled minced ginger. Original recipe was ginger powder
One sliced green onion

Mix marinade and marinate the steak in a ziploc bag overnight. Grill as usual. Slice thin across the grain.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I AM happy for you.

I go to BJs and only got wipes twice since this stupid virus started. And whenever I do go to BJs I am there when they open the doors. I am hoping it will get a little easier to get them.... I read somewhere that by July there will be more in stock....

I have heard the same thing.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Ribeye for sure, or New York if it isn't available.

A cheaper cut is top sirloin, and it can actually be pretty good--just be sure not to overcook it.  Look for pieces that have a good sized strip of fat around the outside.

Lately we've been having a lot of hamburgers.

Ok, guys.  Thank you all for your help.  Our local grocery store had filets on sale from $18/lb to $12/lb and no limit.  It was in the butcher section.  I got 6 pounds, which will be more than enough and be the kind that we want.  I would rather have this than premium butcher T-bones.  

They also had baby back ribs BOGO so I got 2 full racks.  We may do those today.

YAY!

• Like 6

OP,  I hope you find what you eant for a reasonable price. 

We get steaks with our meat CSA from a local farm. Avg price per pound for the whole share,12 lbs., is $9.00. High for ground beef, but good for steaks and roasts. The steaks are always delicous ans tender. Grass fed and finished does have to be cooked differently.

If we want more (not often, as my kids are not big steak lovers) I buy from the farmers' market. Ribeye goes for about  $17/lb., sirloin or flank steak somewhat less.  We sometimes order a beef tenderloin for Christmas.

Grass fed beef from beyond-organic family farms is not only yummy, healthy food, but is excellent for the environment and treats the animals with respect. Our beef (and most of our dairy) comes from cows who live largely outside in the sunshine, eat grass as ruminants are supposed to do, fertilize the ground, sequester carbon, provide food for chickens ( who eat the bugs and larvae that the cow dung hosts). Plus it diversifies the food supply chain and challenges big Ag and government control of the food supply. Factory farmed beef is far more likely to have issues with e-coli etc. since the animals live in their own excrement on a feed lot. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, DawnM said:

Ok, guys.  Thank you all for your help.  Our local grocery store had filets on sale from $18/lb to $12/lb and no limit.  It was in the butcher section.  I got 6 pounds, which will be more than enough and be the kind that we want.  I would rather have this than premium butcher T-bones.  

They also had baby back ribs BOGO so I got 2 full racks.  We may do those today.

Filets are an excellent choice and we usually have some in the mix. But, if you haven't had skirt steak, give it a try when you get a chance! It became our new favorite from the very first time we tried it. 

• Like 1

We ate about half of them today and will have leftovers.  I sent my dad home with some too.

And here is my first charcuterie tray (although I don't have. a wooden tray)

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.08.28 PM.png

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5