Menu

Another black man murdered

MercyA

RIP George Floyd.

As his neck was knelt on, Floyd repeatedly said he couldn't breathe, begged for water, stopped moving, and lost control of his bodily functions. Bystanders told the officer to stop, told him Floyd was bleeding from the nose and could not breathe. The bystanders were shoved back and threatened with mace while the officer smiled.

I cannot even.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 31

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was so hard to watch. Often in these cases, it happens so fast, there’s a struggle, it’s easy to see how there are different perspectives. These cops had him totally subdued and cuffed. He was begging for his life. Dozens of bystanders begged too. He was literally passed out. Many minutes passed. Even when the ambulance arrived, the cop didn’t get off his windpipe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The thing I said to dh was that the cops seemed almost like automatons. I don't want to other them... there are lots of good cops. But this is not bad apples. This is part of the culture. How do we change this so that the cops don't think this is standard operating procedure. It's so clear that they don't think anything unusual or big is happening... as they literally kill a man and shoo away people trying to advocate for him. It's just... no biggie to them. How do we change this?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

The thing I said to dh was that the cops seemed almost like automatons. I don't want to other them... there are lots of good cops. But this is not bad apples. This is part of the culture. How do we change this so that the cops don't think this is standard operating procedure. It's so clear that they don't think anything unusual or big is happening... as they literally kill a man and shoo away people trying to advocate for him. It's just... no biggie to them. How do we change this?

Real accountability—jail time, and not just for the non-white officer perps. Serious, life altering fines for bystanders facilitating crimes (lying in official docs) under color of law. Loss of pensions and benefits.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Real accountability—jail time, and not just for the non-white officer perps. Serious, life altering fines for bystanders facilitating crimes (lying in official docs) under color of law. Loss of pensions and benefits.

Agreed. Glad these guys were fired. I hope arrest is the next step.

ETA: TYPO! A pretty big one. Sigh. I shouldn't post from my phone.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

does anyone know why the police officers would have their hands in their pockets?  That seems really strange, specifically when they are subduing someone.

The officers were wearing black gloves so it looked like hands were in pockets. 

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

She says that she agrees and that she's glad they were fired. So hoping arrest is the next step makes sense.

I just read her other posts. I agree it was a typo. Sorry!

Edited by hippiemamato3
cranky and jumped to conclusions
  • Haha 1

I would also like to see the prosecutors, as in GA, not hide behind indictment as a way to preserve LEO relationships. If sufficient evidence exists, charge it and go to trial. Stop relying on generalized grand juries to make these calls— under cover of darkness— where no one knows how you argued the case or what evidence you presented. Try the case in public, before a jury chosen specifically for that purpose, so we can all see the proceedings.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10

Sadly, those bystanders couldn't have done anything differently I don't think. They filmed it for the evidence and they tried to urge the police to see that the man was suffering and dying because of him.  I'm sure if any of them stormed the cops more people would be dead.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

When I first started coming here to gather ideas for my peeps, I had a preschooler and a 1st grader. I remember the discussions about Trayvon Martin and the reflexive defense that Zimmerman received. I remember discussions about Sandra Bland, John Crawford III, and the reflexive defense LEOs received. Wash, rinse, repeat for Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Jermaine McBean, and so many others. Things HAVE changed. The reflexive defense is far less prevalent and, for that, I am grateful. I am no more optimistic about the legal outcomes but I am more hopeful about the ability of individuals to see these abusive behaviors as systemic and unjust. It’s a start.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

And yes, I know there are good cops. 

I truly believe that 90% of cops are good and we are a pro-cop family, but that has nothing to do with what happened here.

I can't stand it when something like this happens and people respond "but generally police..." No. That's irrelevant. This man is a murderer and has forfeited his right carry the honor of police officer.

Try him, convict him, hang him and make sure the world knows it. Be sure any other narcissistic psychopaths know the blue is not a safe place to practice authority over other human beings.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It is evil. Maybe if he'd had a gun tho, or been at the state capitol, this would all have turned out better. /sarc off.

Have you seen the videos and photos of the peaceful protests this morning? They used pepper spray on the PEACEFUL protesters, who just happened to be black. But of course, it was perfectly fine for white people with GUNS to enter the government buildings. I can't with this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 10

I saw the video for the first time today and I'm shocked. What the heck is wrong with those cops? They sat on him for so long after he told them he couldn't breathe and he was obviously not moving and they still didn't get off him. The one guy was yelling at them to check his pulse, so it must've been obvious from a distance that he wasn't conscious.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

That's interesting because I did click on the link, not the quoted ones, but now I get the link she wanted. Maybe my computer's having a bad day. 

5 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

They're power-fueled assholes who want to enforce their will on 'lesser' beings.

One of the bystanders actually said to the cop, "You're getting off on this!" and he just smiled. 😡

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

10 hours ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

Have you seen the videos and photos of the peaceful protests this morning? They used pepper spray on the PEACEFUL protesters, who just happened to be black. But of course, it was perfectly fine for white people with GUNS to enter the government buildings. I can't with this. 

It looks like the peaceful protesters were left alone. The protestors that attacked the police station did get rubber bullets and tear gas (from what I've read/seen). The protests were about a mile apart -- the peaceful at the place he was murdered, the violent protest at the closest police station. And the violent protests focused all destruction on the police station/cars, not just general destruction. It seems that the violent one partially "evolved" out of the peaceful protest, but also both were concurrent and far away from each other. 

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know. I'm basing this off of social media, including Reddit posts, that are going into more detail from on the ground.

eta: Source comment on Reddit here. There are a lot of other comments on that thread, as well as other threads, that seem to agree with this assessment so far. 

eta: realizing this may be taken as "defending" the police. Not doing that at all, just trying to clarify and make sure everyone has accurate information. I know that I get much (most) of my news from this board so hoping the help the understanding as others have helped me in the past. 

eta: strikeout per below post by JadeOrchidSong

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The protesters destroyed and looted the Target store and Dollar Tree store across the street from the police station. That Target store is where I go to pick up my son's T1D insulin and medical supplies. They also set a tire store on fire. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

My neiborhood is a war zone now. Target is totally emptied out. Fire 🔥 inside Target, too. Helicopters flying for hours overhead. 

Years ago, I lived two blocks away from where the original even took place.  I live across the river now, but not too far.  This is such a sad, sad time.

6 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

It looks like the peaceful protesters were left alone. The protestors that attacked the police station did get rubber bullets and tear gas (from what I've read/seen). The protests were about a mile apart -- the peaceful at the place he was murdered, the violent protest at the closest police station. And the violent protests focused all destruction on the police station/cars, not just general destruction. It seems that the violent one partially "evolved" out of the peaceful protest, but also both were concurrent and far away from each other. 

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know. I'm basing this off of social media, including Reddit posts, that are going into more detail from on the ground.

eta: Source comment on Reddit here. There are a lot of other comments on that thread, as well as other threads, that seem to agree with this assessment so far. 

eta: realizing this may be taken as "defending" the police. Not doing that at all, just trying to clarify and make sure everyone has accurate information. I know that I get much (most) of my news from this board so hoping the help the understanding as others have helped me in the past. 

eta: strikeout per below post by JadeOrchidSong

My post was from this morning before I learned of today's protests. I saw many videos on Twitter of people quietly standing/protesting when the cops suddenly start in with the tear gas and rubber bullets. 🤷‍♀️

I think today's protests are awful. But I completely understand the outrage people feel to see one innocent person after another be murdered without repurcussion. Then they try peaceful protests. That gets them nowhere. The protests escalate, and then they're told they should protest peacefully to get people to listen to them. It never changes. It never ends.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Ds15 needs insulin. I schedule to pick up at Target this week. When I saw it looted and fire burning inside, I immediately thought of transferring his prescription to Walgreen's a few blocks away. Guess what? Walgreen's was burned down now. Is the whole city gonna be on fire? 

• Sad 8

Over here in the mid-Atlantic, we just had a several day, multi-state manhunt for a not-black boy who (allegedly) assaulted 1 person, kidnapped 1 person, and murdered 2 people. He was said to be carrying multiple guns.

*Somehow* this #$ managed to get taken in with no injuries. 

Somehow.

Come to think of it, our other massive manhunt (for a cop killer, no less) had a white boy taken in relatively safely, too.  I’ll have to admit he had a face injury, but still.  

It’s as if there must be some sort of big difference in play...

• Like 4

I'm so saddened by this. I grew up about a mile from where this took place and am now out in the 'burbs, but it is awful to see the injustice and pain in a place that is home. 

Waking up to news of many more fires and looting spread out over the city: large businesses, small businesses, apartments being built. Such devastation and so much hurt. 

“A riot is the language of the unheard.” MLK 

"King’s point, though subtle, is clear. He does not support violent tactics, including riots, but he argues that the way to stop citizens from rioting is to acknowledge and fix the conditions that they are rioting against." (Time Magazine Article)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

The video looks terrible.  I’m willing to reserve judgment until an investigation is concluded, but as it is it looks completely, utterly damning to have gone to that extent, once cuffs were on and he was subdued. I’m trying to be objective and think of the possible reasoning here but I’m not seeing anything convincing.

Those cops and the man they murdered do not deserve your reservation of judgment. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, JoyKM said:

I’m not a big news watcher and don’t use Facebook/Twitter much to see news updates, so I learned about this tragedy on this forum. This is just terrible. I will NOT be watching the video but did look on news outlets and have started following the story. I’m so sad that the anger and outrage over this incident are being put towards looting.  Our country needs a modern day MLK so much right now. I wish we had one who could unite us all constructively.  We know there is a problem but are having a hard time as a nation moving forward.  💔😢 😭😢💔

Who can lead us?

Colin Kaepernick tried. "They" told him he shouldn't protest like that. 'Cause you know -- peacefully, respectfully kneeling to bring attention to an issue is (somehow) wrong and unpatriotic and all sorts of other stuff. (Sigh)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, JoyKM said:

I’m not a big news watcher and don’t use Facebook/Twitter much to see news updates, so I learned about this tragedy on this forum. This is just terrible. I will NOT be watching the video but did look on news outlets and have started following the story. I’m so sad that the anger and outrage over this incident are being put towards looting.  Our country needs a modern day MLK so much right now. I wish we had one who could unite us all constructively.  We know there is a problem but are having a hard time as a nation moving forward.  💔😢 😭😢💔

Who can lead us?

MLK was vilified and shot dead. It doesn't matter who the messenger is. The message is what's objectionable. "ALL PEOPLE ARE CREATED EQUAL" remains a radical and unpopular idea. There is no 'right' way to protest. There may be one that leaves less property damage, and one that leaves less human damage (ironic that these are not the same thing), but there is no protest that receives universal praise/support. I can tell you, however, with certainty that our current 'leader' is ill-equipped to offer anything helpful or good.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

You don’t get to decide that for me.  

There have been so many cases where something looks a certain way, even with video, and as more story comes out and fills in the detail the snap assessments of it paint a different picture than what investigation reveals.  That informs the severity and type of punishment, if nothing else.

My policy is to reserve judgment and wait to decide how I feel about something until the immediate reactions pass, usually 48-72 hours. With time and some further information I might still make the same judgment, but with less of the mob mentality and outrage.  Those aren’t fruitful for me or the cause of justice.  A crime will still look criminal with more details and statements out about it.

My knee jerk reaction to it is horrified.  But I’m willing to hear the side from the police too, before I string up the gallows.  I might still want him to hang, but judgment in the court of public opinion isn’t the way I do things, or try really hard not to. The Central Park Five got that treatment, and that served no one.

This is everything that's wrong - what possible explanation would make this ok for you? I don't even want to know honestly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

This. I do want to say, tho, that I wish every single person in America would take the time to follow Rev William Barber II.  I am not religious, I’m not a believer, but I absolutely love listening to him. This man understands. He’s amazing. 

He continues in the historic tradition of prophetic witness and I admire that. I don't think that would make him, or anyone else, an acceptable messenger tho. It would just put a target on his back. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Right, I’m everything that’s wrong, by trying to remain as level headed as possible so that someone gets a fair trial and complete investigation, no matter the moral revulsion?

You are not hearing or understanding what I am saying, and THAT is on you.  I am not the problem here, and neither is any other American demanding an investigation and full due process before a penalty of appropriate severity, up to and including the death penalty, be applied. That goes no matter the race of anyone involved.  EVERYONE DESERVES A FAIR TRIAL.  We would have a lot less people needing the Innocence Project if less prejudice and prejudgment were applied to more delicate, tense, emotionally charged cases.  

My personal horror doesn’t mean I throw out all standards by which we judge guilt or innocence.  And even if he is guilty as sin (which I do believe the cop is, 100%), I want these facts and this culture and the entire encounter FULLY and publicly litigated, with nothing funny or misleading or below board that could get the results overturned or tossed out.

Did Mr. Floyd get a fair trial or was he given the death penalty after a mere accusation? Meanwhile...the killer(s) walk free. Did Mr. Cooper get a fair trial? Or was the hysterical caller given the benefit of the doubt? We can make judgments about who to believe while upholding the rule of law.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our country needs a modern day MLK so much right now. I wish we had one who could unite us all constructively.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-martin-luther-king-had-75-percent-disapproval-rating-year-he-died-180968664/

I'm not disagreeing that we need change, but don't imagine that the entire country, or even most of it, was united by MLK's rhetoric and beliefs. Had they been, we might be in a better place today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1