Menu

Ornament Exchange Etiquette - update

Emba

I’m going to go to an ornament exchange soon. There is a $10 limit, and I’ve got a couple more parties coming up with similar gift price ranges coming up. Yesterday I started totaling up what I had already spent on gifts so far and what I’ve still got planned (for family gifts), and it’s a lot. We also have two kid birthdays near Christmas.

So now I’m thinking about the ornament exchange and wondering if it would be a big faux pas to bring a handmade ornament instead of buying one.  I have lots of craft materials on hand. Will probably be sewn, not handmade like a plastic spoon and some cotton balls.

im thinking something like this:

http://quiltingdigest.com/mini-quilt-ornaments-for-christmas-cheer/

Or this:

https://juicy-bits.typepad.com/juicy_bits/2009/12/131-give-a-hoot-for-the-holidays.html

Update: I think I’ve decided to do the quilt square ones. I used my least favorite holiday print to make one to test out the idea (that way I don’t feel sad at all if I mess up). Even in a fabric that’s not my favorite I think it’s cute. I also think I will be making more of these than the one for the swap.

88EEAAB2-E3C2-42B9-BCB2-18A84C297572.jpeg

Edited by emba56
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I agree that a homemade ornament is wonderful. I'd love one of those quilted ones you linked; the owls are nice too but the quilts... oh man, I want some!

There is a huge range of homemade, ya know? Those are definitely desirable. You made me laugh with cotton balls and plastic spoons.  Yeah, no thanks.

• Like 1

I would totally pick a well done handmade ornament over a store bought one!  Those are super cute!   I've done handmade crocheted ornaments for people and then I get people offering to pay me to make them.  They are popular holiday items.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

I love the quilts. 

Our family does an ornament exchange, since we’re a big family and I am the one who started this tradition. When I started it, I deemed it could be ANY kind of ornament - handmade, serious, funny/gag, beautiful - whatever. I have had handmade ornaments among our family’s contributions. So I vote yes. 

I suppose there are such things as families or groups who would look down on handmade ornaments, though. Thankfully, I don’t seem to be part of any such group. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Garga said:

If it’s done well, then the handmade one is fine.  No one even has to know it’s handmade if you’re worried that people will be upset.  

I personally like the owl ones better than the quilts.  

I don’t trust my ability to make absolutely no uneven stitches at all. 🙂

So I suspect it will look handmade. Plus, no tags or anything. But I think I can do better than the test one, and have something pretty presentable.

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I prefer the owls. I Actually used that image to make a more simplified felt owl two years ago. It wasn't stuffed and I glued it instead of stitching because of time restraints. It is a favorite on out tree

I did one a few years ago that I really like, which is why I thought of it. It did turn out cute.  Lots of hand sewing, though.

I would love a handmade ornament like that. I think it's fine. OTOH, I wish I had the courage to attend those kinds of events and opt out of obligatory gift exchanges. I go to those events to spend time with other people, not spend money that isn't in the budget and pass around more stuff that few people actually want or need.

• Like 2

A friend of mine went to her woman’s group’s Christmas party yesterday.  She said they took a poll to see if people still wanted to exchange gifts.  It was 50-50.  Half of the people just wanted to hang out together. 

So, they decided: if you brought a gift, you exchanged it, and if you didn’t bring a gift, you didn’t. And everyone was happy.  

• Like 6

I love your test ornament!  Did you do it all by  hand, or sew the pieces together and then hand-quilt?  I'm dying to sew something but it's a hassle to drag out the machine, find a place to put it, etc. Handsewing might actually happen.  I know I have plenty of fabric!

2 hours ago, Garga said:

A friend of mine went to her woman’s group’s Christmas party yesterday.  She said they took a poll to see if people still wanted to exchange gifts.  It was 50-50.  Half of the people just wanted to hang out together. 

So, they decided: if you brought a gift, you exchanged it, and if you didn’t bring a gift, you didn’t. And everyone was happy.  

That is an exchange I would love! I don't like doing gift exchanges myself. I don't want any stuff, I don't want to buy other people stuff*, and I don't like being watched while I open something!

But in my experience, someone always brings extra gifts so people who didn't bring something can still participate.  And then they won't take no for an answer, as in "no, really, I am happy just to watch everyone."  "No, really, I am not that forgetful/poor/unsocialable; if I was unsociable I wouldn't be here but I just came to be with everyone." So I just skip those sorts of events altogether. I wish I didn't have to!

*That sound ungenerous, but I just mean random gifts that are going to random people. An ornament exchange would be fine though I'd still rather just watch.  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marbel said:

That is an exchange I would love! I don't like doing gift exchanges myself. I don't want any stuff, I don't want to buy other people stuff*, and I don't like being watched while I open something!

But in my experience, someone always brings extra gifts so people who didn't bring something can still participate.  And then they won't take no for an answer, as in "no, really, I am happy just to watch everyone."  "No, really, I am not that forgetful/poor/unsocialable; if I was unsociable I wouldn't be here but I just came to be with everyone." So I just skip those sorts of events altogether. I wish I didn't have to!

*That sound ungenerous, but I just mean random gifts that are going to random people. An ornament exchange would be fine though I'd still rather just watch.  🙂

Our elementary co-op back in VA had a children's book exchange as part of our annual Christmas party several years in a row.  I dreaded it.  I had at least 4 kids, if not more, in there each year, so it was a complete hassle trying to find books for each child to give away.  I'm certainly not giving away our favorites, with so many other kids in our family, and babies still coming, and I felt bad giving away books we didn't like, you know?? And then we would get this random collection of books that may or may not be the right reading level or even be books anyone liked at all.  Gah . . .

So eventually I just told my kids we weren't participating.  *Poof*! My stress level dropped immensely, and I could enjoy the Christmas party again.   But, like the part I quoted, people always brought extra books, and wouldn't take my "no" for an answer!  SO we still ended up with a random collection of books, and then I felt bad that we weren't contributing.  

Finally the lady who pushed this horrible exchange moved on because her kids graduated from the co-op, and when it came up at a planning meeting, I was able to convince everyone to drop it.  Like busy moms need one (or 5?) more things to find and wrap right before Christmas?!? Gah . . . Just say No to superfluous gift exchanges, especially for kids!

I would definitely have been up for an ornament exchange, and one of the OP's quilted ornaments though!  Those are so great!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, marbel said:

I love your test ornament!  Did you do it all by  hand, or sew the pieces together and then hand-quilt?  I'm dying to sew something but it's a hassle to drag out the machine, find a place to put it, etc. Handsewing might actually happen.  I know I have plenty of fabric!

It was all on machine, but I think you could do it by hand. I avoid hand sewing most of the time, but the directions for traditional piecing would work as well by hand as by machine.

I think your ornament will be a hit!

I went to a party with an ornament exchange.  It was supposed to be a new ornament, which some were homemade.  My favorite ornament that I didn’t get, was a hand knit minature sweater from wool the lady bought on vacation in New Zealand.  I was hoping she would make another one for the exchange the following year, but she didn’t.  The ornament that I came home with was a very used, too large for a tree foam snowman head.  Not sure if the lady who brought it didn’t understand it supposed to be a new, Christmas tree ornament or what.  She was the guest of her daughter who brought an appropriate ornament.  I kept that snowman head until a year or so ago and I finally threw it away because I never enjoyed it.  I felt guilty in the prior years of tossing it in case it was a prized possession the woman could give.