Menu

Books that make you laugh out loud

Jaz

The early Stephanie Plum books had me literally laughing out loud. When I was reading them dh would ask me what was so funny and I just couldn't explain. After about the 10th one I got tired of them because there wasn't enough character growth, but some people love the whole series. There is language and sex so keep that in mind if it's an issue for you. But they're really, really funny.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

Forever Erma by Erma Bombeck!  

When I'd read this to myself over lunch and almost choke on my food laughing so hard, the kids would ask, "What are you laughing at?" and I'd answer, "I'm laughing about us!"  Later, they knew and would just yell in, "Are you reading that book again?"   I used to send this to friends when they were in the slump with homeschooling and housekeeping.  The book is a collection of Erma's columns from the 60s-80s that show the humor in everyday family life.

• Like 4

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - but only if you are not religious/don't get upset by blasphemy. I mean my husband was Catholic and he also laughed his way through it, with some groans and "I'm going to hell for reading this" dispersed along the way, but it remains the funniest book I've ever read.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

@Kareni Ah, so the Martian IS a comedy? 😉  (It won a Golden Globe for best comedy movie and people thought that was all kinds of wrong)

Interesting! I hadn't known about that particular award.

All I can say is that the first time I read the book, I kept laughing and sharing tidbits with my husband. The book certainly appealed to my sense of humor. (There was also tension and suspense.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Interesting! I hadn't known about that particular award.

All I can say is that the first time I read the book, I kept laughing and sharing tidbits with my husband. The book certainly appealed to my sense of humor. (There was also tension and suspense.)

Regards,

Kareni

I did think the book was funny and the movie, too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Jeeves and Wooster

Me Talk Pretty One Day by Sedaris

Oh, my goodness, yes! We were at our pool and Dh was in the water with the kids and I was reading that book. DH heard me cackling I was LOLing so hard. This was in a crowded pool with kids splashing and squealing. I love that book. It's only made better by the fact that the friend who recommended it bought it because she thought it was a book about education and helping children with disabilities.

I've read others by him too, but this is a favorite. The chapter on the IQ test kills me every time!

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott, although it isn't a comedy. 

@Kareni Ah, so the Martian IS a comedy? 😉  (It won a Golden Globe for best comedy movie and people thought that was all kinds of wrong)

Wasn't it comedy or musical? Regardless, that's crazy!

OP, I forgot a fave: anything by A A. Milne. Yes, his books for children. He didn't leave out us adults! Great as read alouds, but I like seeing what he capitalizes. 😄

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

It's been ages since I read it, but I remember thinking it was funny in a tragic way. It was lined with so much humor. I remember laughing at parts.

I haven’t read it in years, and the whole thing wasn’t laugh out loud funny, but it had its moments. The part where he gets sick after communion was hilarious to me, for instance. But I’ve tried and can’t explain it properly. You have to read it yourself. It was a really good book, I thought.

• Like 2

I just thought of a funny nonfiction (but not memoir) writer... anything by science writer Mary Roach always has me rollicking. Especially her book about sex - Bonk - but even her book about death and her one about military science or the one about space, Packing for Mars. She's just got such a funny voice.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Bellwether by Connie Willis

Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

any of the titles in the Jeeves books by P. G. Wodehouse

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

I feel like we have similar book tastes and I would be interested in any other authors/books you love.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, moonflower said:

Bill Bryson's In The Woods.

I love Bill Bryson! Many of his books have had  me snorting with laughter and tears running down my face. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Most books by Dave Barry, Carl Hiasson, and Jenny Lawson will have me snorting and laughing within the first chapter. 

Love Dave Barry also. Haven't yet read the other two. 

On 9/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, OH_Homeschooler said:

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh 

This one had me laughing so hard also. Loved it!

20 hours ago, Homeschoolmomto2boys said:

Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan

I loved this one. 

Others that come to mind:
Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron (not as funny as the others mentioned, but I loved it nonetheless)

• Like 1