Menu

Guest beds

theelfqueen

Our "guest room" is a shared space (also my craft room) ... we currently have a twin daybed with a trundle in there. Most common guests are Son and DIL, or MiL and FiL

We want to upgrade and are considering options... 

An actual queen size bed - most comfortable for guests but inconvenient to give up that much space for a bed that is only used a few times a year. 

A queen futon - willing to spend to get a nice one - hard to find the size I want that's also well reviewed. More convenient for day-to-day use of the space. 

A queen Murphy bed in the other room - much more expensive, not at all flexible for rearranging and a tight fit ... 

What do your guests sleep on? What are your thoughts on these options. 

We have a single bed in a room that is also used for exercise & storage.  In the unusual situation where we have couples spend the night, one of us gives up our bedroom.

We are planning a remodel and considering getting one of those things where there is a desk by day / converts to a bed by night.

I am so excited to finally have a dedicated guest room in my new house.  We are going with what you already have, a twin bed/day bed with a trundle under it for more than one person to use.    It is the smallest bedroom and we need to have some other things in there as well (and we will be adding a door on the back wall for inside access to the giant attic space currently only accessible through the garage.)

The daybed must go. Its horrifyingly squeaky and the  pop up trundle is finicky and doesn't always stay "up" as it should. 

In less than a year, Muppet Boy plans to move out and I believe it's going to happen and then it will be a dedicated guest room. 

Dh apparently has a stronger opinion than I realized (dedicated queen - though I will.point out that at his parents we sleep on daybed/trundle twins). 

• Like 1

If you are going to soon have a dedicated guest room, I'd get a queen bed, or my second choice, a another twin/trundle combo.  

At one time we had a full in the guest room, and to my horror, some friends made a "bed" on the hard floor for the husband to sleep on.  If they would have mentioned something we would at least have given them extra linens and our air mattress :-(.  

We have a futon couch in the office that we convert to a bed and then pump up the double-sized air mattress (stored in the linen closet) to place on top of it, with a mattress pad, fitted sheet/flat sheet and blankets from the linen closet. Quite comfortable! (DH and I have slept on it.)

• Like 2

We have an IKEA futon thingy that I find really comfy for sleeping. And it looks okay as a sort of sofa. I enjoy a regular futon, but lots of people find them too hard. I think the IKEA options are a little more versatile for folks for a decent price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

The daybed must go. Its horrifyingly squeaky and the  pop up trundle is finicky and doesn't always stay "up" as it should. 

In less than a year, Muppet Boy plans to move out and I believe it's going to happen and then it will be a dedicated guest room. 

Dh apparently has a stronger opinion than I realized (dedicated queen - though I will.point out that at his parents we sleep on daybed/trundle twins). 

Two twins is wider than a queen and more comfortable, IMO.  But my DH moves so much at night that we have a split king with memory foam or I wouldn't sleep.

How about a queen size sofa sleeper?  I think you can can some that are pretty comfortable (for sleeping) these days.

We plan to have two guest rooms in our new home.  One will be a dedicated guest room.  The other will be a den with a sofa sleeper.

We have a designated queen for our guests and I really do love it. Sometimes in some homes it has been a boy’s room/guest, but other homes we’ve been able to have it just as a guest room only. And it’s lovely like that. The bed is comfy for guests, it’s comfy if one of us needs it (I slept in there for a whole month this year while dh got through a coughing round of pneumonia), kid can sleep in there if another one is sick. It’s great! So queen is my vote if you can do it. 

If you can possibly do a dedicated queen, I’d go that way.  I think your kids will visit more often if they are made that welcome.  

In the alternative, you could get a very deep air bed, 15-18 inches deep, king size, and blow it up in there whenever you have visitors.  That takes planning to be able to switch the room to dedicating that much space to it intermittently ,but the new ones are very comfortable and have electric pumps.

We have an IKEA Hemnes day bed in our guest room.  It’s set up as a twin all the time, and we use it as a couch, but it pulls out to become a king. It has two twin mattresses that go side by side.

We keep the extra bedding in the drawers. I like it.

We also have another guest room in the basement, with the traditional wooden futon. It’s not as comfy, but it’s technically in our art room, and we only have kids sleep down there, or very young adults who opt for the privacy.  

For a couple times a year, I would do a really nice air mattress. You could also do a sleeper sofa that has a queen air mattress. Our friends got one like that and it was actually really comfortable to sleep on. 

I would *not* leave up the twin for a married couple. A queen air mattress would be relatively inexpensive and, if thick enough, can be nicely comfortable. We take ours when we travel because people don't always have enough beds for everyone. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I have a couple of queen sized air mattresses that we set up in the tent when camping.   if I stack them, they pass visually as a regular bed. Properly inflated, they are comfortable. Buy an electric pump. Just takes a couple of minutes to set up

8 hours ago, Spryte said:

We have an IKEA Hemnes day bed in our guest room.  It’s set up as a twin all the time, and we use it as a couch, but it pulls out to become a king. It has two twin mattresses that go side by side.

We keep the extra bedding in the drawers. I like it.

We also have another guest room in the basement, with the traditional wooden futon. It’s not as comfy, but it’s technically in our art room, and we only have kids sleep down there, or very young adults who opt for the privacy.  

Have you slept on it? It looks kind of thin?  Its slightly smaller than a king- do you just get bedding at IKEA? 

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

For a couple times a year, I would do a really nice air mattress. You could also do a sleeper sofa that has a queen air mattress. Our friends got one like that and it was actually really comfortable to sleep on. 

I would *not* leave up the twin for a married couple. A queen air mattress would be relatively inexpensive and, if thick enough, can be nicely comfortable. We take ours when we travel because people don't always have enough beds for everyone. 

That's funny, I much prefer twin beds.  I have never slept on an air mattress where we didn't both end up in the middle together and in the middle of the night, we don't want to turn on the pump.  Even a "fancy" one has been an issue.  When I see an air mattress I cringe.    

I have heard there are some comfortable sleeper sofas.  I haven't slept on one yet, but we are getting a sleeper sofa left by the owners of our new house, and I plan to try it out and get a comfy topper for it if it isn't comfortable.  We won't have adults on it most likely, but I guess you never know.  It is in an area that is private (only a bedroom and bathroom and that room in that area of the house) so if a family came to visit, they could use that bedroom and small room if necessary.

Mostly I think the pull out bed will be used for friends the boys bring home.

What we did in this situation was to get a love seat that pulled out into a double bed. We bought it at one of those hotel discount places where you can buy used hotel furniture. Ours was less than 100$ and it was in like new condition. It’s about 6 years old now and we slept in it a few months ago when were painting our master bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sleeps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theelfqueen said:

Have you slept on it? It looks kind of thin?  Its slightly smaller than a king- do you just get bedding at IKEA? 

I sleep on it set up as a twin fairly often, if I’m sick.  It’s comfy.  With it pulled out to the larger size - I can’t recall.  It’s been a while.  I only tried it once.  But I have seen them on Craigslist, being sold with upgraded mattresses.  So upgrading the mattresses is possible.

I think if you regularly have couples staying with you, they, and you, might prefer a queen. But if you want to use the room for other purposes as well as an extra guest room, it’s an option.

21 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

A queen Murphy bed in the other room - much more expensive, not at all flexible for rearranging and a tight fit ... 

What do your guests sleep on? What are your thoughts on these options. 

My dad sells and builds furniture. He gifted us a Murphy bed that he made.

Here's what he would tell you if you were his customer: "How long do you want your guest to stay?" The longer the desired stay, the nicer the bed. A Murphy bed, if bought correctly, is a real bed that you just put away when not in use.

I would think of the cost of the Murphy bed as buying you space. You could have a dedicated queen bed, but that would cost a room. If you have an extra room on hand, that cost is lower than the extra money for a Murphy bed.

My grandma had a pull-out couch. My parents always pulled out the couch, took out the mattress, put it on the floor, and slept there.

Emily

• Like 2

We have had a queen sized bed for years and even though the mattress is now old in years it seems to hold up well since everyone always comments how comfortable it is. The room is a good size so we were able to stay with the queen size bed in the new guest room. 

Something to consider perhaps: Younger people often don't mind sleeping on air mattresses or cushions / futons on the floor. Depends on if most of your guests are older or younger. 🙂 Most of our guests are our age so we are trying to be kind and give them a real mattress.

3 hours ago, Annie Elle said:

What we did in this situation was to get a love seat that pulled out into a double bed. We bought it at one of those hotel discount places where you can buy used hotel furniture. Ours was less than 100$ and it was in like new condition. It’s about 6 years old now and we slept in it a few months ago when were painting our master bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sleeps.

I would love to find one of those!  How did you find it?