Menu

2019-2020 8th grade planning

vaquitita

My oldest will be in 8th

Math: Singapore Math Live online class, 6/prealgebra

LA: Fix It grammar Robin Hood and a local IEW writing class or SWI with his sister... OR I'm feeling tempted to give bookshark LA 7 a try. Writing about history, kill two birds with one stone. I've decided I need to go with something more independent. With three younger kids, one of them still in the learning to read phase, my time is at a premium. SO I'm thinking Essentials in Writing 7. Of and continuing with English From the Roots Up 2.

History: bookshark 7, world history part 2

Science: bookshark 7, robotics and technology

Other: drawing, swimming, and ??

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

I'll have an 8th grader.

Math - TT Pre-algebra

English - LLATL Gray, and finish Easy Grammar (he's doing half the book this year), also learning lit terms using Abeka World Literature

Writing - narrations, outlines, probably learning to write essays

Science - Apologia Physical science

History - Canadian history

Logic - The Fallacy Detective and the Thinking Toolbox

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 1

My 8th grader will be moving into the 8th grade core package from Memoria Press. We’re going to use Charter/Public School versions where possible, since we prefer more secular materials, but will otherwise be using the full core as is. He’ll have to do Latin and Composition at the level he’s at, of course, which right now looks to be Second Form Latin and an accelerated plan to do Classical Composition Chreia/Maxim and Refutation/Confirmation. 

He’ll do AoPS Algebra for math, I think. Though, the MP package comes with Prentice-Hall Algebra so we may give that a whirl. 

That’s my loose plan right now. Things may change, but we’re feeling good about it at the moment. 

• Like 1

Language Arts: Writing & Rhetoric, Rod & Staff English, maybe Lightning Literature 7 plus books to go along with history

Math: Foerster's Algebra I with course plan from Kolbe Academy

World History with a History of Science focus: Story of Science series, a history encyclopedia, various biographies and other non-fiction books

Physical Science: Prentice Hall Physical Science with course plan from Kolbe Academy

Faith Formation: Bible, Catechism, saint stories, Story of a Soul

Spanish: Getting Started With Spanish & probably tagging along with La Clase Divertida 2 with younger siblings

Logic: The Art of Argument

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 2

Sheesh, 8th grade. I can't even. 

So, tentatively, for oldest DD:

Math: TT Pre-algebra or algebra (depends on what's finished this year)

LA: CLE Reading 8, Cover Story for writing/grammar

History: Government/civics textbook + state history (fairly light)

Science: an 8th grade science textbook Exploration Education with her sister

Art/Spanish - idk. I'm an epic failure at these. PE class 1x/week. Piano via Hoffman. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Mostly continuing things that have worked well:

Grammar: Analytical Grammar, Season 3
Writing: Essentials in Writing, Level 8 (not 100% firm, but I think she needs outsourced writing lessons, and this one fits the budget.)
Literature: Figuratively Speaking with the short stories/links that were posted here
Spelling: Rod&Staff, Grade 8
Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Level B
Math: Christian Light, Level 800

With her 6th grade sibling
Science: Guest Hollow Botany
History: Notgrass From Adam to Us + read-alouds
Geography: Memoria Press Geography 1 (and maybe 2, depending on how quickly we move through)
Bible: Bible Road Trip, Year 2

Art/Music: No idea yet

Extra-curriculars
Homeschool choir
Piano/voice lessons
Maybe tennis lessons? 

Lots of good books to read, as well as our Morning Time where we do logic, Shakespeare, poetry, character, etc.

Edited by lanabug
  • Like 3

Saxon Algebra I 

Oak Meadow Environmental Science

FLVS Physical Science   FLVS H Biology

FLVS US History  Oak Meadow/BYL 7/GPS: World Geography (3 credits, Grammar & Composition, Literature and Social Studies)

CLRC Great Books I

Steps (Connect the Thoughts) History: Prehistory, Early Civilizations, Greece, & Rome

Building Brilliant Architects: Intro to Architecture & Advanced Architecture 1

Co-op: Digital Art/Architecture, BYL Harry Potter Books 4&5

I guess this is more of an 8th/9th year. I am issuing 6 high school credits: Algebra I, Honors Biology, Grammar & Composition 9, Literature 9, World Geography, Art & Architecture.

Extracurriculars:

Cross country, swim, running & triathlon teams

Edited by Melissa B
  • Like 1

I'm still playing around with everything so this will most likely change:

Science - Physics, I have no idea what we'll use for this We just signed up for the Clover Creek Physics class. DD is excited about this. 

History - Maybe Roman Roads

English - Patterns for college writing we are going to shelve that and do Bravewriter help for high school and Lively Art of Writing along with a Shakespeare study and maybe add in Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Math - Geometry with Mr. D

Spanish with HSA

Robotics class, python class, and dance 

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing what everyone's doing! My oldest will be in 8th for 2019-2020. The plan:

History/Geography, combination of:

-          Tapestry of Grace Year 4 – Dialectic Stage

-          K12 Human Odyssey

-          K12 American Odyssey

-          South Carolina: The History of an American State

Language Arts:

-          Teaching the Classics & Windows to the World

-          Selections from Excellence in Literature Book I and 2

-          Classical Academic Press: Writing and Rhetoric 9-10

-          Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Red Level

-          Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots 8

Math:

-          Holt Geometry

Science:

-          Elemental Science Physics for the Logic Stage

Foreign Language:

-          Breaking the French Barrier

Logic:

-          Classical Academic Press Art of Argument

-          Classical Academic Press Argument Builder

-          Critical Thinking Company Building Thinking Skills Level 3 (second half)

-          Critical Thinking Company Mind Benders Book 7

Arts:

-          Artistic Pursuits Grades 6-8 Book 2

-          Violin Lessons

Religion:

-          The Incarnate God

Extras:

-          Boy Scouts

-          Co-op and Field Trips

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 1

Blerch.  8th grade next year! 

Suppose I have to think about it some time...

Probably, he will do:

Math: R&S 8   --he's my slow and steady guy in math, and R&S is a great fit for him.

Science: Abeka's 8th grade book, Earth and Space, and /or  Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science.  Depends on prices and reading level. 

History: Gombrich's A Little History of the World, combined with Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World , bits from Ambleside Online's Year 7 history, and Stanford's Reading Like a Historian.

Literature: Explorations in Literature (Scott Foresman's America Reads series ), along with some of Ambleside Online's Year 7 lit. 

Spelling/Grammar/Writing: finish R&S Spelling 7 and begin R&S Spelling 8; Abeka Spelling Vocabulary Poetry II

Warriner's Grammar and Composition Second Course for grammar.  Writing across history and lit--focusing on making better paragraphs. 

Latin:  continue Latin Prep Book 1

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Continue learning to type well

Something else active or artsy. 🙂  Not quite sure what. Cross Country at local middle school...

August edits in purple

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

I just realized that this thread applies to me.  :blink:  

Tentative plan for next year:

Math: TT Alg 1 Not decided on this now...

LA: Finishing AAS, EiW, EiL or Lightning Lit, possibly Vocab from Classical Roots

Science: No idea  God's Design series (as I already have them) and will add in some library books, etc.

History: No idea I think we've decided to try out Notgrass From Adam to Us.

Language:  She isn't decided on this yet

Art: basically whatever suits her fancy.  She loves anything art, so we basically just scour the internet for ideas, borrow books from the library and go through a ton of art supplies.

PE: Swimming, curling, golf and possibly soccer...

And now I'm slightly panicked regarding science and history.  lol  Feeling better about Science & History, but rethinking math.  It just never ends....

Edited by Jess4879
  • Like 2

My third go round with an 8th grader next year....my goal is to give him a fun and interesting last year before high school, because I've learned that things get intense fast then!

Math: finishing his never ending Algebra 1 (Jacobs) and maybe starting Geometry

LA: WWS 2/3, Grammar for the WTM

Lit: I'm planning on a year long Shakespeare study for him and his 10th grade brother. We'll see what that looks like later.

History: I think I'm folding this into the Shakespeare study; some stuff about Elizabethan England and probably also Ellen McHenry's Excavating English, since he's expressed and interest in etymology lately

Science: I asked him what he wanted to do, and he surprised me and said botany. So I'm thinking of Guest Hollow's botany, with extra focus on drawing added in

Spanish: Spanish 2 with Georgia Virtual school (I feel a little on the fence about this...I don't love doing Spanish online, but we've lost our good in-person options. Eventually he can do dual enrollment, but he likely won't until 11th grade, which leaves us with FOUR years to do online. I would have just waited until high school, but he'd already been doing Spanish with a tutor, and I didn't want him to forget everything. But it's gone pretty well this year, so....)

Other stuff: lots of music. He's taking piano and French horn lessons, playing both in a homeschool band, and is auditioning for a youth symphony for next year (which might be a long shot). Maybe a drawing class. Probably an acting class or doing a play somewhere. D&D. Volunteering at the library. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:55 AM, Plum Crazy said:

No idea. I was thinking Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings and building around that, but decided I want to wait until 9th for that.  It really depends on where we are when we finish this year. We'll finish our school year late August and probably roll both of them right into 7th/8th. 

Are your literary lessons from the Lord of the rings a program or something you came up with?

We’re discovering that The Great Courses Plus (GC+) is a very effective and efficient way for us to cover subjects, so we’re using more and more of these.  My eldest will be in 10th grade and 8th grader follows along in most subjects with his brother.  He could be in 9th since I started him after his 6th birthday, so he will be earning high school credit for classes he does high school level work in (Algebra, Spanish, Biology.)

Math:

• Algebra 2 using GC+ Algebra II I think we’ll do Geometry instead. 

English:

• Medieval-Ren literature class I’m running at co-op (Beowulf, Sir Gawain, Dante, Chaucer, More’s Utopia, Shakespeare)
  • GC+ Building a Better Vocabulary
  • GC+ English Grammar Boot Camp
  • writing across the curriculum?  (This is the only thing I’m not settled on yet.) I’ve settled on Killgallon and writing across the curriculum.

Spanish:

• once weekly at co-op with a native Spanish-speaking teacher (or using GC+ Learning Spanish)
  • possibly Spanish for Children A
  • daily practice with Mondly, Duolingo

Biology

• once weekly at co-op GC+ Biology: The Science of Life
  • text: Campbell Bio 9th Ed. Campbell Biology: Concepts and Connections 
  • labs: not sure what we’re planning so far, except I know we’re doing at least 2 dissections

Medieval History

• The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade by Susan Wise Bauer
  • study guide for HotMW
  • GC+ Foundations of Western Civilization lectures 24-48

Music/Art

• guitar lessons
  • co-op guitar ensemble, band (playing bass guitar), and chorus ... each meeting once once weekly with 2 concerts per year
  • he is also learning on his own how to play drums
  • weekly at co-op: wool felting, bookmaking, etc
Edited by *Jessica*
  • Like 1

Math-AOPS Algebra-likely online school, but we will see.. My job is really nuts right now and I still have some less independent littles, so I'm trying to get the biggers to do whatever they can online. 

Science-Novare Earth Science- online through MP. She absolutely is loving physical science through MP. 

LA-Rod and Staff English 7, Reading following Brave Writer Boomerang, Writing- probably Byline. She's doing Cover Story this year, and is mostly enjoying it, and her writing is great! She does need some support. 

Logic-She's going to do Lester's Logic Lounge through Lukieon. 

Language-Greek 1, again Lukieon. 

Music-Grade 9 theory, Violin-RCM level 8 likely, Piano, orchestra. 

Phys ed-basketball. We have a great local rec team, and she really enjoys it! Swimming lessons. 

• Like 1

Our co-op sign-ups are next week, so I had to figure out what we wanted to do there, so I've got tentative plans for both kids now.

LA

• co-op Composition class
  • MCT level 5
  • free reading of good literature from the big stack that I put together each year

Math 

• AOPS counting and probability (I think we'll do this first semester)
  • AOPS Intermediate Algebra (We'll probably start in January for spring semester and finish it in 9th grade, especially if we do LOF, too)
  • Life of Fred of some sort - we do this on busy days when we need an AOPS break

Language

Latin 2 (using Cambridge book 3) at co-op

Social studies

• K-12 HO book 3 as spine, done at home
  • other resources as needed/wanted
  • Write periodic papers about what we've learned to assess learning and practice writing

Science 

• Introductory chemistry at home (may use LOF or a more traditional book)
  • We may do some physics 
  • Science Olympiad topics - we won't know those until October

Other

• Scratch Coding (online class)
  • Fencing, chess, and cooking (fun co-op classes)

Bible

Taking a class on stories in the scriptures at co-op - it's with high schoolers and should prompt good discussion

Extracurriculars

• baseball and basketball in season, with homeschool or local school/travel teams
  • scouts
  • church/youth

Edited by ClemsonDana
  • Like 2

Math:  Algebra 1.  Either AoPS or Foerster.  I'm not sure yet!

History: WTM style (NatGeo almanac of World History as a spine), modern

LA:  Diagramming workbook from Critical Thinking Co
       Fix It Grammar or Basic, Not Boring
       Wordsmith maybe, for writing?
        Vocab from Classical Roots C-D

Science: a hodgepodge of all the things we haven't covered yet in the Logic stage: some bio, some astronomy, some chemistry, a little physics and engineering

Foreign Language:  I'm thinking Duolingo for Mandarin, if that's a thing

Reading lists from TWTM, both language arts and history sections

Plus co-op.  I'm thinking about offering a critical thinking class at co-op, so he'd get some logic in... if not i'll get him something simple for that. 

Blondie will be in the 8th grade next year -- we'll see how this goes.  Had a long planning, goal setting meeting with her, as I'm trying to get her to take ownership of her education.

• Bible -- Dust to Glory
  • English -- Abeka 8 Grammar & Vocabulary & Poetry;  Writing with Skill 1 (WWS2 will be done over the summer of 2020); Killgallon for MS; Mosdos Press Gold + Audio Books and other reading
  • Math -- Algebra 1 (Foersters or Chalkdust with AoPS).  She actually starts this in April, so will move to Jacob's Geometry (with AoPS Intro to Algebra on Fridays) around December or January 2020.
  • HIstory -- Human Odyssey II and Geography (Abeka)
  • Science -- Earth Science w/DVD (BJU)
  • Foreign Language -- Spanish 2 (CLE) I may sign her up for something online instead.
  • Music -- we may be attempting to get her into the local school for Flute, but I don't know.
  • PE/Health - Abeka

For 8th grade next year:

-CLE Reading with Light Units + an awesome hero-heavy literature list

-Writing online via The Potter's School

-Spelling ? The kid still needs spelling instruction, but I'm not sure what I'll do, yet.

-Jacob's Algebra...I think.  Maybe one more year of PreA?

-Apologia Physical Science with labs done at a co-op

-Cultural Geography with BJU Distance Learning

-Spanish

-ASL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are jumping into a new co-op for 8th grade to spice things up a bit for ds. It's a STEM co-op, so I think he'll enjoy it. I'm also streamlining our choices this year as I hope to have a part-time job. 

STEM Co-op Fall classes:

SCIENCE:  Physical Science with Lab

Handcrafting with metal & leather (fun)

Beginning Programming/Coding (fun)

MUSIC:  Guitar I

At Home:

MATH:  finishing TT Pre-Alg then move into TT Alg or Mr. D (Critical Thinking Co Middle School Math Games)

ENGLISH:  Essentials in Writing 8 with grading/ EIL 8? (there is only one novel scheduled, Night, so we will add more just for free reading, maybe adding in Boomerang guides for discussion:  (still continuing with some Bravewriter Lifestyle activities)

The Giver, Echo, Night, The Westing Game, Brightly of the Grand Canyon, Lord of the Flies(maybe), White Fang, Basher Five-Two, Lost on a Mountain in Maine 

Easy Grammar 8, Marie's Words, Word Root study

HISTORY:  Notgrass Civics Uncle Sam & You... D.C. trip and local field trips

LOGIC:  The Thinking Toolbox or Critical thinking resources

BUSH CRAFT Club (organized by husband, 2x a month)

PE:  YMCA class

ART: Masterpiece Art Society

Ongoing Projects:  '72 Ford Truck remodel & School bus remodel for teen hangout.

Looks like a ton, but most is part of our lifestyle.

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 2

I think we just finalized our choices for 8th grade. Side Note: HOW is my teeny baby going into the 8th grade? I just made a high school plan for him.

Language Arts:  Oak Meadow Grade 8 LA

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra

Science: RSO Astronomy Level 2

History: SoTW Book 2 and HSitW Project Passport Middle Ages Projects

Spanish

Guitar

Homeschool PE at our YMCA

Karate (should be a black belt in the next couple of months)

• Like 1

Math

Lial's BCM

Life of Fred

Language Arts

Writing with Skill

Booklist tbd

Science

Kolbe's Holt science

Stratton Home Science Adventures

History

Light to Nations

Art

CHC's Ever Ancient, Ever New 2

Religion

Baltimore Catechism

Extracurricular

Clarinet

Choir

Ice skating

Swimming

Hiking

• Like 2

Our tentative plans for my rising 8th. 

Lit/Comp: English 2 with The Potter's School (Lit/comp)

Grammar: Maybe???? continue with Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Red book (although grammar is part of English 2)

Vocab: Finish Vocab from Classical Roots C. Thinking of stopping after that??

History: Modern history using Human Odyssey 3 and Pages from History books (OUP) and MapTrek

Foreign Language: Latin Alive 2

Math: Algebra 1 Dolciani

Science: Physics using Prentice Hall Science Explorer (3 volumes) plus physics concepts and lab at co-op

Logic: Art of Argument (???? online??? at home??)  

Music:  Continue Hoffman Piano at a snail's pace  😃

Art: Drawing using Artistic Pursuits

Bible:  The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study: Old Testament

More Lit: Mom read alouds and book discussion, Figuratively Speaking???? 

PE: some summer plans

Sports: do Nerf wars count? LOL. I have no idea.

-----

Any thoughts on an online class versus home for Art of Argument? I would have preferred a co-op class but that didn't happen. I am hearing that the videos are not exceptional, and I can see how the live discussion would be helpful. My concern is that he already has two classes for high school credit (Latin and English).  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Next year is tentative... hubby is retiring from the Marine Corps and is in the process of looking for a job. Fun times! So far I have:

Summer: Crash Course Government with worksheets; DS will do AOPS Intermediate Python Programming

Fall:

DS13:  AOPS Precalculus and Int. Number Theory (online)

Clover Creek Hon Chemistry

Intro to British Lit with Writing Supplement (Online G3)

Intro to Linguistics fall semester (Online G3) and Logic with me Spring Semester

Only four classes because I anticipate the top two classes taking up the majority of his time! If it starts feeling light we will add more in.

DD13:  Aops Intro to Algebra 1st half (with me)

WTMA Biology (no lab)

Global History or US history using Great Courses 

Intro to British Lit with Writing Supplement

Creative Writing possibly (Bluetent) and then Logic with me in the Spring.  Or a language.  I don't know! 

DS does homeschool PE and theater and is always looking for more extra-curriculars.  That has been our biggest struggle.  DD does ballet 15 hours a week and piano.  

3 hours ago, mms said:

Sorry to hijack the 8th grade thread, but did you do the first book?  How did you like it?  Are the texts and projects something that would work well for just keeping around the house and letting the kids puruse/create as they see fit? I saw it in the catalog and started drooling, but the price!

We did and we loved the first book.  The projects are thoughtful and involved, they take effort but aren’t stressful. The projects are assigned weekly to go along with the text, I don’t think they’d do as well as a come and go as they like craft, but I’m sure they’d still be enjoyable. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:48 AM, cintinative said:

Our tentative plans for my rising 8th. 

Lit/Comp: English 2 with The Potter's School (Lit/comp)

-----

Any thoughts on an online class versus home for Art of Argument? I would have preferred a co-op class but that didn't happen. I am hearing that the videos are not exceptional, and I can see how the live discussion would be helpful. My concern is that he already has two classes for high school credit (Latin and English).  

Two of my children have done AofA with Mrs. Barnosky at My Fun Science in a one-semester class.  Neither of them were crazy about it.  She speeds though the first part of the book and then spends time on the fallacies.  She knows the material and can teach fine it and is always prepared for class.  There are group projects, lots of additional videos to watch and graded online discussions every week of class.  The book is a little too much material for my kids to master in one semester.  Did you see Schole Academy has a year-long AofA course? It seems like there's not enough material for a year-long course in that book, but it might be better than cramming it into one semester (for my kids). 

Also, have you done Potter's School English before?  I would speculate that the grammar component will be sufficient on its own.  But, of course, you know your kid!  Best wishes! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Random said:

Also, have you done Potter's School English before?  I would speculate that the grammar component will be sufficient on its own.  But, of course, you know your kid!  Best wishes! 

No, we haven't. We started GWTM Red Book a couple of months ago and are now taking a hiatus from it to do the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. I was going to see how their classes go next year with TPS before I add in grammar. I am guessing from the course descriptions we won't need it. At least I already own it. I certainly won't buy another grammar curriculum. Thanks for the heads up!

31 minutes ago, Random said:

Two of my children have done AofA with Mrs. Barnosky at My Fun Science in a one-semester class.  Neither of them were crazy about it.  She speeds though the first part of the book and then spends time on the fallacies.  She knows the material and can teach fine it and is always prepared for class. 

I was looking at a one year class for the book, but the teacher said it was 20-30 minutes of homework four days a week plus the one hour class time. My fear at this point is that it will be too much, and since it is an outside provider, I can't let the schedule on it slide. I might need the flexibility to let it go some weeks.  I could do it at home with the videos. A friend said she can give me links to videos/ads to support the fallacies that she used when she taught a class at co-op, and I will *try* to have our family engage with it. This is my biggest fear at this point--that I will not be able to work through it with him like I should.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is my first time planning grade 8.

Math - no idea. He's finishing Math Mammoth so I need to figure out what comes next. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra? We'll do the placement test.

Logic - 

Language Arts

Vocab - Vocabulary from Classical Roots B & C

Grammar - Editor in Chief 2

Reading - I'll put together a reading list for him, mostly based on our study of Canadian history.

Writing - Writing Strands 4 & 5? or Brave Writer? WWS1? W&R?

Handwriting - Canadian Handwriting finish F & G

Typing - Typesy? Epistory?

Extras - Figuratively Speaking

He really need to work on writing skills, and he wants to learn coding.

Group Subjects

Canadian History (Year 1 of 2)

Canadian Geography

Canadian Government

Mystery Science tag-along

Mr. Q Adv. Chemistry

Get Started With French/CAP French for Children/DuoLingo

Edited by AsgardCA

Can't believe it's time for 8th grade already!

Math: Lifepac Geometry ( we have 3 units left) and then Algebra II

Language Arts:  Gonna try Sonlight J this year.  This is our worst subject so we'll see.  Might look at Writing and Rhetoric and start way back at a beginner level.  She is excellent at grammar so might not do a separate program for that this year.

History: Sonlight J History of Science.

Science: Apologia General

Handwriting: she has asked to do printing again so whatever the highest level of handwriting program I find that does printing.  lol

Language: continue French I think

We are also starting up a co-op this year so we'll see what that brings.  I really want to focus heavily on writing this year to get her up to level with that.  She was so good when she was younger but has developed almost a fear of writing.  It's frustrating for her and me!

• 1 month later...

I’m jumping in a little late but I like posting on these threads and then looking back later to see what I changed. Sometimes it’s almost everything! This year I’m posting after I already purchased all of our materials so this is very likely to be the plan we stick with. 

Bible/History/Literature - MFW Ancient History. This is the 9th grade year and she’ll be doing it with DD 10th. This is the first time I’ve used anything like MFW and 9th grade for my older two seemed like the logical place to put them. 

Math - MUS Pre-algebra. Math is her weakest subject. We’d been doing CLE and she was about 1/3 of the way through the 6th grade books. I’m hoping this won’t be too much of a stretch. She’ll be doing it with DD 7th. Younger DD is strong in math and nearly finished with SM 6 so she should be fine. I’m hoping putting them together doesn’t cause any problems. 

Science - Apologia General Science. I really like the looks of the new edition. She’ll be doing this with DD 7th also. 

English - In addition to what she’ll be doing with MFW, we’ll keep working through AG. Life was crazy last year so we didn’t get far. I think I’ll slow it down and take two weeks for each lesson so that it can be done quickly each day. We still need to work on spelling in our house so we’ll also be doing Spelling Power. She’ll do both of these with DD 10th as well. 

Elective - Creative Writing. This DD LOVES to write and asked specifically for this. She writes stories with friends that they pass around and I also got her “The Exciting World of Creative Writing” for a little bit of guidance. This will be mostly student-driven. 

Extras - karate, piano lessons, baking class with Grandma and Grandma’s best friend. 

• 4 weeks later...
On February 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM, alisoncooks said:

Sheesh, 8th grade. I can't even. 

So, tentatively, for oldest DD:

Math: TT Pre-algebra or algebra (depends on what's finished this year)

LA: CLE Reading 8, Cover Story for writing/grammar

History: Government/civics textbook world geography & cultures + state history 

Science: an 8th grade science textbook Exploration Education with her sister  Bookshark Science 6

Art/Spanish - idk...I'm an epic failure at these. PE class 1x/week. Piano via Hoffman. 

Updated and finalized in red.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Melissa B said:

Saxon Algebra I  Math U See Algebra I

Oak Meadow Environmental Science Oak Meadow Environmental Science

FLVS Physical Science   FLVS H Biology

FLVS US History  Oak Meadow/BYL 7/GPS World Geography + CNN 10 (2 credits, World Geography, World Literature)

CLRC Great Books I

Steps (Connect the Thoughts) History: Prehistory, Early Civilizations, Greece, & Rome

Building Brilliant Architects: Intro to Architecture & Advanced Architecture 1

Co-op: Digital Art/Architecture, BYL Harry Potter Books 4&5

I guess this is more of an 8th/9th year. I am issuing 6 high school credits: Algebra I, Honors Biology, Environmental Science, World Geography, World Literature & Architecture. We are currently considering this 8th grade, but plans could change at the end of the school year.

Extracurriculars:

Cross country, swim, running & triathlon teams

We officially start the new school year tomorrow, so hopefully this is the final plan.

• 6 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 5:37 PM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I’m jumping in a little late but I like posting on these threads and then looking back later to see what I changed. Sometimes it’s almost everything! This year I’m posting after I already purchased all of our materials so this is very likely to be the plan we stick with. 

Bible/History/Literature - MFW Ancient History. This is the 9th grade year and she’ll be doing it with DD 10th. This is the first time I’ve used anything like MFW and 9th grade for my older two seemed like the logical place to put them. 

Math - MUS Pre-algebra. Math is her weakest subject. We’d been doing CLE and she was about 1/3 of the way through the 6th grade books. I’m hoping this won’t be too much of a stretch. She’ll be doing it with DD 7th. Younger DD is strong in math and nearly finished with SM 6 so she should be fine. I’m hoping putting them together doesn’t cause any problems. 

Science - Apologia General Science. I really like the looks of the new edition. She’ll be doing this with DD 7th also. 

English - In addition to what she’ll be doing with MFW, we’ll keep working through AG. Life was crazy last year so we didn’t get far. I think I’ll slow it down and take two weeks for each lesson so that it can be done quickly each day. We still need to work on spelling in our house so we’ll also be doing Spelling Power. She’ll do both of these with DD 10th as well. 

Elective - Creative Writing. This DD LOVES to write and asked specifically for this. She writes stories with friends that they pass around and I also got her “The Exciting World of Creative Writing” for a little bit of guidance. This will be mostly student-driven. 

Extras - karate, piano lessons, baking class with Grandma and Grandma’s best friend. 

This year we have actually done this exactly. I had everything planned and weekly schedules written up for the entire year before we ever started. We are on week 22 and still on track. We’ve had to do most of the extra practice lessons in math plus some so we’ll be doing math through the summer but overall everything is going really well. It’s the most structured our school year has ever been and *I* really needed that this year.