Menu

He passed!

Night Elf

2 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Congratulations!!!

When does he start classes? Can he drive to and from school several times between now and then with you or your husband, so that he feel comfortable about the route and the parking? I remember that being able to driving himself to class is important.

School starts January 22nd. We've already been practicing the route. We took 3 different ways and let him choose the one that was the most comfortable to him. We've been practicing it so he knows the exact route there. He still needs help parking though. DH is going to take him out on Saturday and then on Sunday we're going to take both cars to the park and have him learn to park next to a car. We'd rather he practice with our cars and not some random cars in a parking lot!

• Like 4

Awesome! Step in a positive direction. 

My ds had tremendous anxiety about being a for-real driver, even after he was licensed. I let him warm up to the more hectic driving, like the Baltimore beltway, and just had him work on the same route to and from school for a while. 

• Like 1

Thank you ladies. I'm still on a high. I was feeling sick to my stomach while he was out testing and was so scared he was going to come back and the tester say he failed. It's not that I didn't have faith in him but he was extremely nervous and I was afraid it would affect him. He said he got frazzled when he knocked down a cone when going backwards into a parking space and it affected the rest of his test but since that was the last hard thing he had to do, he was okay. When she took him out on the actual road, all they did was a loop inside a residential neighborhood. They didn't go out on the road at all. She told me to help him practice looking into his mirrors when changing lanes or going into turn lanes. She must have felt he was good enough since she passed him though. 🙂

Tonight he asked DH to drive him to get dinner because he doesn't like driving at night. His first semester he only has morning classes, but some classes had evening sections. If he won't drive in the dark, he's limiting himself on the classes he can get into. He has to take certain classes and they suggest an order for them so he has to take them when they're available. So we have to do some more night driving. He's only driven at night for a total of 7 hours of the 40 total he needed to take the test. No wonder he's not comfortable driving in the dark. He also hates driving in the rain so if he has to drive in a hard rain, he's going to be in trouble. He said even though he has his license, he doesn't think he can drive by himself so I'm going to have him take baby steps. I'm going to send him to the grocery store which is only 5 minutes away. After he's done that a few times, I'll have him drive further. He has to be able to drive alone for 15 minutes to get to school. It's an easy drive at least.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Night Elf said:

Thank you ladies. I'm still on a high. I was feeling sick to my stomach while he was out testing and was so scared he was going to come back and the tester say he failed. It's not that I didn't have faith in him but he was extremely nervous and I was afraid it would affect him. He said he got frazzled when he knocked down a cone when going backwards into a parking space and it affected the rest of his test but since that was the last hard thing he had to do, he was okay. When she took him out on the actual road, all they did was a loop inside a residential neighborhood. They didn't go out on the road at all. She told me to help him practice looking into his mirrors when changing lanes or going into turn lanes. She must have felt he was good enough since she passed him though. 🙂

Tonight he asked DH to drive him to get dinner because he doesn't like driving at night. His first semester he only has morning classes, but some classes had evening sections. If he won't drive in the dark, he's limiting himself on the classes he can get into. He has to take certain classes and they suggest an order for them so he has to take them when they're available. So we have to do some more night driving. He's only driven at night for a total of 7 hours of the 40 total he needed to take the test. No wonder he's not comfortable driving in the dark. He also hates driving in the rain so if he has to drive in a hard rain, he's going to be in trouble. He said even though he has his license, he doesn't think he can drive by himself so I'm going to have him take baby steps. I'm going to send him to the grocery store which is only 5 minutes away. After he's done that a few times, I'll have him drive further. He has to be able to drive alone for 15 minutes to get to school. It's an easy drive at least.

Yikes. That seems dangerous! Oh wait - it was 40 total he was supposed to do, not 40 at night. That makes sense. I don't love driving in the dark either, but hopefully he will get more comfortable with time.

Edited by hippiemamato3