Menu

Christmas gathering question

SquirrellyMama

2 minutes ago, GailV said:

How apparent is it that this is an occasion for which everyone brings a gift?  Who is the gift for -- the hosts?  A freeform gift exchange where everything's thrown in a pile and then everyone gets one? Was she aware this was what's going on?

No clue on any of this. He's a great kid, but not very forthcoming on details 🙂

Kelly

13 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

If your teen son brought his girlfriend to the family Christmas gathering (invited by teen boys mom), and she didn't bring a gift would you have any ill feelings against her or her family?

Kelly

Nope. Not unless that expectation was made clear at the time of invitation.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

OK, so it's your daughter and her boyfriend invited her?

I would help her find a way to tell him she needs more details on the event and expectations, maybe not for today but going forward. It is very easy to inadvertently offend a prospective in-law family simply through ignorance of the family's expectations.    

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Same. And on the way make a quick stop for a box of chocolates for the hostess. Drug stores even sell them already wrapped for this time of year. 

ETA if I were the hostess, I wouldn’t think a thing of no gift for the gathering. But a little spiff for the hostess would make me smile at her thoughtfulness.

I can suggest a box of chocolates. That's a good idea.

Kelly

• Like 2

A small hostess gift is always appropriate.  The good manners accompanying the giving of the gift (handing over the gift with a smile, genuine warmth, and verbal appreciation for the mama of the boy) will help make up for any other missed opportunities that the boyfriend might have failed to communicate. 

Another good "people touch" is for your daughter to watch for an opportunity to lend a hand, offering to help clear dishes, put food away, rinse dishes, or amuse small children. (We taught my kids to do similar, and unexpectedly, we got appreciative feedback from other parents...what a delight it was to have Sammy or Suzy over. It's one of the things I think we got right in parenting, thankfully!)

I hope your dd has a wonderful time!

ETA:  If chocolates don't seem right, many stores sell other treats:  festive popcorn canisters, hot chocolate, etc., which the hostess could choose to share with guests if so desired. 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

. My dd thought the gathering was tomorrow but it's today. This is the 2nd gathering and the 2nd time I'm thinking she should have a gift at the last minute. 

58 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

It happens and even my extrovert relatives aren’t great at providing details except on wedding invitations. I would have thought the guy forgot to tell his girlfriend for my side of the family.

My husband (college schoolmate) had to be reminded by his aunts about gatherings and he was already mid 20s when we were dating. We had made many trips to the supermarket to buy cookies, and/or chocolates as gifts. 

Would there be a New Year’s Eve gathering? I would just get a hostess gift in case.

We tend to drop by Walgreens on Christmas and many young adults are usually shopping there for hostess gifts to last minute parties. 

• Like 1

no, I wouldn't expect one.      

how old is the girl? 

2 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

If your teen son brought his girlfriend to the family Christmas gathering (invited by teen boys mom), and she didn't bring a gift would you have any ill feelings against her or her family?

Kelly

No, but a food gift for the family would still be a nice touch, regardless of if they have anything for her, besides the meal.  I vote for a box of chocolates from Walgreen's to be picked up on the way.  Popcorn tins can be iffy - sometimes the tin is gorgeous, but there's hardly any popcorn inside... or it's stale.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have assumed gifts were expected.... but that's my family culture. Our family dinners (including Christmas) are always potluck style so bringing a gift for the host seems weird.... lol. Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner only includes gifts for the grandkids from my parents. We stopped doing sibling exchanges years ago. 

Also, since it's something the adults arrange and coordinate, I would never expect the young adults or teenagers to do more than show up.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 2

At that age, I wouldn’t think twice about her not bringing a gift. But going forward, a hostess/ host gift is always appropriate unless the invitation reads “please don’t bring one.” Flowers or chocolates are my go to hostess gifts🎄