Menu

Who is getting hit by the storm this weekend?

DawnM

I have to admit, I am hoping for Monday off.  In fact, so much so that if we don't have a snow day I am seriously considering taking a mental health day.  I am just exhausted.

Middle son is supposed to get 12-24 inches up his way (near Asheville, NC.).   We are looking at ice and some snow.  

• Like 3

We're in the 7-12 inch range for snow according to the NWS, and supposedly our immediate area is in the bulls eye for the highest accumulation. But I'm much more concerned about any freezing rain that may come in later.  

DS is in Boone. They're going to get slammed. NWS is predicting 18 inches, other sources say up to 24. At least theirs will be all snow. They're used to it, but still . . I'm sure their exam schedule is going to be in tatters. They used to never close. Not for anything. But the uni has grown so much and students live so far out now they almost have to cancel if buses can't run. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, angelaguptathomas said:

Getting it now! Beautiful here in WNC-as long as we don't lose power:)

Yikes! I'm supposed to drive DD to a Christmas party tonight in Raleigh. I'm hoping it'll hold off here until I get home tonight (around 10). I love the few snow days we get...but I don't love running errands in it. 

• Like 1

We have a lot here. More than I expected this early. It's the usual southern heavy, wet snow that sticks to everything. I went out very late yesterday afternoon and filled up the bird feeders so they'd have plenty to eat, but they're almost totally covered with snow this morning. Looks like there's a small perching area on each one that the birds can access. They aren't happy about that. :wink:

I'm looking at all the snow on tree branches and the utility lines across the street, and watching those bobble in the wind. And worrying about what's going to happen if it turns to freezing rain this afternoon, as predicted. We'll be keeping our devices on their chargers today.

• Like 1

We had about 7 or 8 inches this morning when we got up, and we've probably gotten a few more inches since then.  So far we're in the snow band, although I've heard Raleigh has switched to rain.  I'm in the norther half of Orange County, so I'm hoping that maybe we can avoid the freezing rain, although that is not predicted.  We are preparing for a power outage.  Tried to finish most of my online Christmas shopping yesterday.  For now, it's all pretty and white.

We're getting rain today which will give us colder temperatures (by our standards) for a few days. That's what a winter storm does here most of the time. We've had a few bad ones over the years, with deadly tornadoes, but fortunately this won't be one of them. Hope you all are able to stay warm and safe. and maybe even enjoy the snow. 

5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Ice. We’ve got ice. 

Looks like freezing rain hit us overnight.

Yeah, pretty much same here.  Quite disappointed.  I wanted snow.

Still waiting to see if they will call school for tomorrow.

Just now, Pen said:

My mom in WNC has been out of power since last night.   And it’s expected to get worse tonight. 

My son is up there.  I don't know if they have lost power or not.  I know many students went out at 2am to sled under the street light, so they had power then!

5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Ice. We’ve got ice. 

Looks like freezing rain hit us overnight.

Yuck! Stay safe FFH!

An hour south and all we've got is cold rain. I am thankful since our church's big choir concert is tonight. 

Enjoy the snow, y'all! 

I would be happy to have some once all our concerts and recitals are over!

Church cancelled because the power was out. It was kinda a good thing though. I had put a casserole on time bake in the oven before I knew church was cancelled. I heard the oven switch on and a bit later checked on it. The heating element was sparking and burning up in the bottom of The oven. So we had to turn off the oven at the breaker and no casserole. I wonder what would've happened if we'd not been here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Yuck! Stay safe FFH!

An hour south and all we've got is cold rain. I am thankful since our church's big choir concert is tonight. 

Enjoy the snow, y'all! 

I would be happy to have some once all our concerts and recitals are over!

It’s actually not that bad. Mostly trees and power lines, but the roads are fine with the exception of bridges and overpassed. Thankfully!

• Like 1

I have  shoveled a path for our sheltie twice today. Bless her little heart, the snow is over her head now! Our border collie can't decide between zooming through the yard in absolute bliss or staring at the sky and shivering. And they are both doing the cat thing: begging to go out, begging to come in, begging to go back out. It's a hoot to watch them!

I thought we were only supposed to get 5-8 inches, but we now have well over a foot, and it's still coming down! Ok, Mother Nature, you can stop now. Seriously, stop. Now.

Edited by I talk to the trees
punctuation
  • Haha 1

We were supposed to get an inch and then rain, but it's easily 4-5 inches, depending where you measure. I just heard a big branch crack and fall when I went outside. Power has flickered repeatedly. Guessing no school tomorrow, though they haven't called it yet.

I can't believe we've gotten this much snow before Christmas -- it usually wouldn't show like this til January or February here, and not often then.

17 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I have  shoveled a path for our sheltie twice today. Bless her little heart, the snow is over her head now! Our border collie can't decide between zooming through the yard in absolute bliss or staring at the sky and shivering. And they are both doing the cat thing: begging to go out, begging to come in, begging to go back out. It's a hoot to watch them!

I thought we were only supposed to get 5-8 inches, but we now have well over a foot, and it's still coming down! Ok, Mother Nature, you can stop now. Seriously, stop. Now.

My husband calls this Border Collie weather.  She just LOVES it.   She bounds through the snow like a kangaroo on steroids.  Although this morning she was funny -- there was a thin glaze on top, and she didn't always sink in, and then, all of a sudden, she'd drop down.  LOL. She loves it, though.  Playing frisbee in the snow is one of her favorite things.  My kids no longer want to go out in the snow, but the border collie is always at the door, begging to go out.

• Like 3

We don't live in the area but DH is a pilot based in Charlotte and so his schedule has been a bit crazy the past couple of days. Hopefully he can make his commute (flight) home tonight!

I love the pictures of the snow! We're in Florida so haven't gotten any. My kids are always hopeful though!