Menu

Help me stay warm....ideas?

prairiewindmomma

Just now, HeighHo said:

Did you optimize the form of the B12? perhaps a different form will give you the same blood levels, but actually be more helpful to your body chem?  I tried methyl after giving cyano a year and that was life changing...a small invest of $5 after ruling out a few other things via the Dr. It was an overnight difference, my body chem needs it that much.

I tried methylated stuff for about a year--I even alternated monthly for a bit coming off of it. My methotrexate for my RA wipes out my b6 levels so B optimization and balancing with b12 and the other bs is definitely on the radar---and I just didn't respond magnificently to methylated stuff.  I'd rather use that $$ monthly for paying for my curcumin and higher quality magnesium. I do see benefit with both of those.

I don't have MTHFR so maybe that's why I'm not seeing a radical benefit? 

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I do have the sheepskin boots from Costco.  I need to clean and then re-waterproof them. Our store didn't get new boots this year, so my boots are 4 years old... I have been wearing duck boots since currently we're getting a lot of rain (while temps are in the 30s) in the morning. 

I did buy sheepskin clogs this year to wear around the house (also from Costco) but they don't seem to have enough arch support for me to wear them without having hip issues. Maybe I should get another pair of boots to wear as house shoes...

you can buy new sheepskin fleece insoles (I got mine off amazon) - amazing how much that does.  Mine are  more than four years old.  as long as the fleece is good - they should be good.  but the insoles wear out.  easy to replace.

interesting about the clogs - mine have more support than my boots. I've thought about putting an arch support insole in my boots, but I don't wear them that much.

I had a pair of double fleece scuffs from big five.  they were warm. (two layers of fleece on top) - I really did wear those to death.  and 2ds would run off with them . . . . I even bought him a pair of men's fleece slippers so he'd leave them alone.  he liked mine better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

I don't have MTHFR either, I have some other genetic variations that seem to add up to MTTR..but since I haven't done a full genetic workup and the science isn't caught up anyway, it seems some personal experimenting is helpful.  I find I do need a B complex and I'm working on the frequency. I did not try the other forms of B12 since methyl bingo'd...but you'd never know it from the numbers; its how I feel, how red my lips are, and having the energy to do things without being exhausted.  You will have to personalize since you are taking meds and have RA.  All I can say is I am warm, first time since folic acid was put in to the food supply (and I have reduced my consumption; max I can do is one serving per day of a folic acid enriched grain product). With Vit D, I feel better at the high end of the zone than low; with B12 the form matters more than the level in the zone.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind and tinker a bit...

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you buy these online?

Yes.  I have some.  I wear them a lot.  One thing I found was that I tend to get a little sweaty in them, and so I have to rotate between two pairs so that they dry out completely between wearings, or else they get cold from being clammy.

In general, that’s the most important thing for me about staying warm—entirely avoiding clamminess, which can be very subtle.  I find that if I’m really cold and can’t seem to get warm in any normal way that if I change my base layer that usually works.  Often my base is just a tad clammy, so little that I can’t feel it, but a new one gets me past that.  So, ironically, REMOVING that layer sometimes helps when all else fails.  

It’s very much true for my feet.  I had cold feet my whole life because of that, until I discovered socks with a wicking first layer.  Wowsa, what a difference.

Regarding the OP, starting with a hot bath or reverting to one if all else fails is my final go to.  Soaking my hands and wrists in the warmest water I can stand is a pretty decent stop gap as well—since your blood is very close to the skin in your wrists, you’re warming your blood that way, too.  To me that is better than a hot tub — no need for clothes, and no walk through cold air back into the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emba56 said:

Is there room in the budget for a small space heater? That way you could heat up just one corner of the house for yourself?

I have this one from Lasko for $30-35 and it has worked great for several winters; it fits under a desk and is great for keeping feet warm (or I sit on the floor with knees up and a fleece blanket tented over the heater and my legs and get my whole lower body warm -- but, it is very drying as it blows hot air. I wonder how something like this tiny personal space heater would work for $20?

4 hours ago, HeighHo said:

You mentioned no anemia or thyroid.  What was the B12 and D result?  My doctor explained to me that D and B12 levels in the US are set for survive not thrive, so he uses the higher levels the Japanese use.  Once I moved my levels into the zone I didn't need to dress in layers at 68 F or run a space heater under my desk at work and my fingernails weren't blue.

In the meantime, if  you find you are cold, do the big arm circles exercise..that gets your circulation going. 

What levels do the Japanese recommend for D and B12?

As I've aged, my extremities get cold. And I keep the house coldish because I have to watch my bills. In our case, the lower floor is warmer than upstairs because of a ducting problem that can't be easily fixed (it's a rental).

Now that it's really cold out, I tend to wear heavy socks, fingerless gloves, and sometimes even a hat indoors. Work tends to be cold, so I even do that if I'm not out with the customers.

I've always had chronically low D....like barely in the teens or even not even in the teens.  And the prescription D didn't really do anything.  I finally got up to 65 by megadosing D3 several days a week and taking a combination of D3 and K2.  I stopped the megadosing, because it just isn't sustainable to be taking 20,000 mg a day long term and am doing about 4-5,000 a day, but my doctor refuses to check my D again because "Last January it was 65, which is great."  I keep trying to explain that I want to know if it's still great when I'm just doing maintenance stuff, but she won't budge.  

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

You can get a heated mattress pad with two zones. I have one and DH has never, ever turned his side on. I haven’t yet put it on my bed this year, but it’s definitely time. I woke up with a cold head! I thought of this thread because I’m sitting here drinking tea, with a scarf wrapped around my head and a hoodie over that. We woke up to some crazy winds today!

We have an oil space heater and I think the quality of heat is warmer than an electric heater. The oil is sealed, so you use it like a regular plug in heater. https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-ComforTemp-Portable-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543421342&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oil+heater+radiator&dpPl=1&dpID=41tj-HqpmzL&ref=plSrch

We do the same thing with the two zone heated mattress pad. It's awesome. DH leaves his side on all night because he's always cold and I like to warm my side up before bed and then turn it off once I get into bed. We have this one.

I second the oil space heater too. We've had ours for about 10 years and it works great. The kitty is curled up next to it at the moment. 

I was going to second the humidity, but since you can't do that, keep the rice bag handy, during the day and...put that in your bed before you get in at night.

Yes, silk undies, then layers, like the polyester 32 degree heat type shirts, then a vest to keep the core warm...

I love fleece, but wool really is warmer if you have any socks or sweaters.   

Use throw rugs under your feet on bare floors...keep doors closed in rooms to keep the heat in...

Take your kids to the library to work when you can...

And do lots of baking!😋

P. S. How is the insulation in your attic? 

6 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

These are great points, and they were addressed.

My morning basal temp runs a bit below average (which would indicate thyroid stuff) but my thyroid is addressed as best it can be among all of the other things going on in my body.  I don't have a ton of variation in my body temp, so my internal thermostat doesn't seem to be off.  

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and there is likely an autoimmune component to this problem for me.

The advice is to stay as warm as I can....layers, etc.

My go-to method of warming up is to take a shower or bath, then dress in layers. If I'm cold to start with, no amount of layers or clothes seems to help be bring up my body temp - I need help from external sources. I like the full-body warm up from a shower or bath.  After my body is warm, then I can take off layers if needed.

I purchased a pair of fleece-lined running pants last year, and these are awesome for keeping my legs warm in the fall and winter. I don't need long-underwear with these.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HeighHo said:

My doctor explained to me that D and B12 levels in the US are set for survive not thrive, so he uses the higher levels the Japanese use.  Once I moved my levels into the zone I didn't need to dress in layers at 68 F or run a space heater under my desk at work and my fingernails weren't blue.

Ooo, I need to read about these Japanese vs. US D levels! Mine were at the top of the normal range, and I like how I feel. I didn't like how I felt when we tried dropping a bit, so zoom right back. But that would be really funny if they're more in the mid-normal range in Japan, hmm.

As for op, the other thing is Primaloft. You can buy the batting and make a lap quilt with flannel. The batting will be wicked expensive and it has a scrim. It's a really high end synthetic down material used in high end hunting clothes. Crazy crazy warm. I made one for my grandmother years ago as her body slowed down, and she LOVED it. I made her a fresh one 15 years later after she wore the first out, but then she passed. Now I have it. :D

Also, REI and places that cater to hikers sell wool liner socks that are very thin but very warm. If you put them as a layer before your regular thick warm whatever sock, that may help. https://www.rei.com/product/856655/rei-co-op-merino-wool-liner-socks

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

I've always had chronically low D....like barely in the teens or even not even in the teens.  And the prescription D didn't really do anything.  I finally got up to 65 by megadosing D3 several days a week and taking a combination of D3 and K2.  I stopped the megadosing, because it just isn't sustainable to be taking 20,000 mg a day long term and am doing about 4-5,000 a day, but my doctor refuses to check my D again because "Last January it was 65, which is great."  I keep trying to explain that I want to know if it's still great when I'm just doing maintenance stuff, but she won't budge.  

Good night. Maybe take a bit more K2? I'm taking 200 mcg a day and 10k IU D a day, and my labs were 95. Or maybe they were 97? The doc squirmed because 100 was supposedly the end of normal and the world would end, lol. I tried dropping to 7k IU D and the world DID end, lol. Now I'm back at 10k a day and super happy. But yeah, 20k a day seems really high. I'd maybe check your k2 dose and up that a fuzz. 

Also, you can run the labs yourself through healthcheckusa.com It's maybe $80 for the D labs. That way you could just skip the (no nice words) doctor. I actually really like this GP I'm using. He's hairbrained and listens, and I'm hairbrained and talk a lot. We seem to get on. Considering I refused docs for 16+ years, that's pretty astonishing, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, it is effective at reducing the joint pain in my fingers.

I drink raspberry leaf tea for the extra minerals.

Ok, I'll just ask. Is this pushing into lupus? Is the circulation part of the RA? I don't know. 

But yes, drinking something warm is warming!

PS. Do you have a hot water bottle? The Fashy brand are really good. Get one with a fleece cover. Get a couple and put one at your feet and one on your core. Or fill one to put under your feet while you sit somewhere. I LOVE my hot water bottle, ooo....

Edited by PeterPan

Here, have a good laugh. The company is legit though. I ordered three water bottles from them last year and they're AWESOME, highly recommend. I'd go bigger if I could, but they don't seem to make them. 

https://www.smallflower.com/brand/fashy I got ours all in fleece. So, so good. I fill them with hot water to warm the bottle, then dump and refill. They last all night under my double fleece blanket. So cozy and a cheap luxury. :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Good night. Maybe take a bit more K2? I'm taking 200 mcg a day and 10k IU D a day, and my labs were 95. Or maybe they were 97? The doc squirmed because 100 was supposedly the end of normal and the world would end, lol. I tried dropping to 7k IU D and the world DID end, lol. Now I'm back at 10k a day and super happy. But yeah, 20k a day seems really high. I'd maybe check your k2 dose and up that a fuzz. 

Also, you can run the labs yourself through healthcheckusa.com It's maybe $80 for the D labs. That way you could just skip the (no nice words) doctor. I actually really like this GP I'm using. He's hairbrained and listens, and I'm hairbrained and talk a lot. We seem to get on. Considering I refused docs for 16+ years, that's pretty astonishing, lol. 

Good ideas.  Yeah, when I ran my genetics, the only thing that was really helpful was that I have a gene associated with low vitamin D.  My mother has super low vitamin D.  My kids are low, too, and I cannot get them to take the supplements, even the yummy gummies that they LIKE.  Sigh.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'll just ask. Is this pushing into lupus? Is the circulation part of the RA? I don't know. 

But yes, drinking something warm is warming!

PS. Do you have a hot water bottle? The Flashy brand are really good. Get one with a fleece cover. Get a couple and put one at your feet and one on your core. Or fill one to put under your feet while you sit somewhere. I LOVE my hot water bottle, ooo....

I don’t have lupus. This is a common thing with RA as small joints like those in fingers and toes are often more affected than large joints.

I just ordered a Flashy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

What levels do the Japanese recommend for D and B12?

DS12 was prescribed liquid Vit D drops as a toddler. 

8 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, I need to read about these Japanese vs. US D levels! Mine were at the top of the normal range, and I like how I feel. 

Page 21 of 46 of a 2010 report for Vitamin D, Table appendix-8. Vitamin D (μg/day)

Page 28 of same report Table appendix-15. Vitamin B12 (μg/day)

http://www.nibiohn.go.jp/eiken/info/pdf/dris2010en.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just ordered a Flashy.

Ooo good, I hope you love it! You could get a Primaloft blanket and put the water bottle on your lap under the blanket just while you sit. Or get a vest made of primaloft. 

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Insulations_c_59.html  Here's a link for the batting. It's 60" wide and has a scrim, meaning you can tie it (like an old-fashioned tied quilt), whatever you want. You could channel stitch it. Like it doesn't have to be super perfect. You actually don't want to sew it down a lot because the loft captures the heat and keeps you warm. It's INSANELY warm. It will BLOW YOUR MIND. Like maybe just buy a yard or yard and a half (so $20 plus shipping) and have a kind soul just run 60" wide flannel on both sides and tie and bind, boom. 

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo good, I hope you love it! You could get a Primaloft blanket and put the water bottle on your lap under the blanket just while you sit. Or get a vest made of primaloft. 

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Insulations_c_59.html  Here's a link for the batting. It's 60" wide and has a scrim, meaning you can tie it (like an old-fashioned tied quilt), whatever you want. You could channel stitch it. Like it doesn't have to be super perfect. You actually don't want to sew it down a lot because the loft captures the heat and keeps you warm. It's INSANELY warm. It will BLOW YOUR MIND. Like maybe just buy a yard or yard and a half (so $20 plus shipping) and have a kind soul just run 60" wide flannel on both sides and tie and bind, boom. 

Thanks! I quilted in my pre-kids life and still have my Bernina, so this will be a good project. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS12 was prescribed liquid Vit D drops as a toddler. 

Page 21 of 46 of a 2010 report for Vitamin D, Table appendix-8. Vitamin D (μg/day)

Page 28 of same report Table appendix-15. Vitamin B12 (μg/day)

http://www.nibiohn.go.jp/eiken/info/pdf/dris2010en.pdf

Ahhh, so that was average intake and upper limits. I thought maybe you were saying their lab norms were higher...

Just now, Terabith said:

Maybe you need a cat in your lap and one around your neck?  They're pretty warm.  Babies, also pretty warm.  At least one of mine was made of lava.  

Allergic to cats...need to wait another decade for a grand baby. I can occasionally convince Youngest to snuggle on my lap if I read to her. 😍

• Like 1

Back before kids I worked at a desk in a drafty office that was cold in winter and I had a terrible time getting warm. It was a legal office so I had to look appropriate....so silk underwear was my best friend as were tall boots and wool socks. Then I hit the jackpot. A rubber electric floor mat that used the energy equivalent of a lightbulb and was sold as a warming solution for cold warehouse workers. It sat under my desk with my feet on top. With toasty toes, the rest of me finally stayed warm.

It was not this specific mat and it wasn't from this webstore........but it looked very similar and was about the same size and price. https://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/heated/heated-foot-warmer-mat.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_product=Heated_Mat&utm_sku=FW-14X21&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzOWYisn43gIVd__jBx3cZwkaEAQYASABEgL46_D_BwE 

Hope you get warm!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just need a winter house somewhere tropical, I think.

Ds wants to move back somewhere where he can live year round in shorts and flip flops.

Well, I'm in Florida and it was 39 here last night and I'm freezing. So somewhere south of me then, lol. 

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Those of you who wear fingerless gloves, can you provide a link, please?

The link is what we bought years ago. Even survived snowball fights. We bought at Marshall’s at a lower price than Amazon. I sometimes wear them indoors when my kids like the wind chill from our patio blowing into our living room but I don’t. The guy size is a little big for my small hands but stretch nicely for my husband’s and kid’s hands. 

https://www.amazon.com/Igloos-Mens-Sentry-Mittens-Oatmeal/dp/B0057XA2KS/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The link is what we bought years ago. Even survived snowball fights. We bought at Marshall’s at a lower price than Amazon. I sometimes wear them indoors when my kids like the wind chill from our patio blowing into our living room but I don’t. The guy size is a little big for my small hands but stretch nicely for my husband’s and kid’s hands. 

https://www.amazon.com/Igloos-Mens-Sentry-Mittens-Oatmeal/dp/B0057XA2KS/

Thank you, Arcadia, those certainly look toasty!  I appreciate the sizing information, too.

Stay warm ....

Regards,
Kareni

22 hours ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Cheap ways to keep warm:

layers - thrift stores often have men’s sweaters cheaper than women’s (unfair!) and these are usually loose enough to wear over top of clothes.  I am personally fond of merino wool blends.  Fleece is good too for layering.

Socks, gloves and a hat.  I often wear the fingerless light knit gloves around the house.  You can usually find these for $1 here.  Then when I run outside, I pull on mittens or gloves over top (layers again).  Double layers of loose socks work well for hopelessly cold feet.  

Scarf or buff for your neck.  Thrift stores can be your friend again here - cut up an old flannel or fleece shirt to make a warm wrap for your neck.  This blocks the cold air from sneaking into your warm jacket.

Are you cold when you sleep?  Try to go to bed warm or use a hot water bottle for your feet.  DD17 swears by her heated mattress pad, but that’s a more costly option.  

Ive never been a cold person until the last year or so. It’s dreadful!

Electric throws have been wonderful for me. I think they’re on sale for about $25 this month at Costco? DH bought me a heated mattress pad (dual control) last week and I think it’s nothing short of amazing, but of course, not helpful during the day!

• Like 1

@prairiewindmomma

Long johns, in whatever material you prefer.  They have thick ones and thin ones.
Tuck the long johns into your thick socks, so air doesn’t go up your leg.
Slippers in the house—most kinds will do, but your feet must have more than socks on.
Tuck the top of the long johns into the bottoms, so air doesn’t go up your back.
Shirt
Sweater
Pants
THIS ROBE. (This is now the 4th layer you’ll have on)  

Seriously THIS one.  Not another one.  It has to be this one.  Others just aren’t the same.  This one zips in the front, so that air doesn’t get to the front of you, and it goes down to your ankles, and it has a hood.  And the material is such that it keeps you warm.  https://www.womanwithin.com/products/plush-hooded-long-robe-by-dreams-and-co./1008953.html#q=Robe&lang=default&searchplaceholder=Enter%2Bkeyword%2Bor%2Bitem%2Bnumber&start=9

If you can’t get that robe, get another one, but it probably won’t keep you as warm, unless you manage to find one in a super thick material that also has a zipper. (which I haven’t been able to find—not with a zipper). 

Do your best to get a robe with a zipper front, even if the material isn’t as thick as you’d like.  The ones that tie do not stay in place enough to trap your heat.  They inevitably fall open from time to time.  Zippers keep the heat in and won’t fall open to release it.

Wear that robe when you’re inside all the time. All the time. I live in my robe all winter long.  Before I started wearing that particular robe all day long, I had to use space heaters around the house, but I don’t have to anymore.  We keep the house at about 64-67, depending on the room/time of day, and when I have on that robe, I’m fine.  In the summer, I’m finally comfortable at 78-79 degrees, so having the house at 64-67 really makes me suffer UNLESS I have that robe.  

And if you can’t get a robe with a hood, then wear a hat.  I have a rabbit’s fur hat that is particularly warm, but any hat will do.  If you cover your head, you will often find yourself heating up within about 5-10 minutes of putting it on.

Don’t wear low cut shirts/sweaters, but if you do, add a scarf around your neck.  It can be a decorative one, but don’t let your chest be exposed (and it won’t be if you’re wearing your long johns.)

——-

In bed at night:  wear layers and be sure to tuck the pants into the socks and the top into the bottom.  Keep a hat under your pillow to wear if you get a chill.  Pull the blankets up from the edge of the bed so they’re tucked around you and not leaving any gaps of air between you and the blankets.  

I started putting two sheets on the bed, side by side, meeting in the middle, so that my dh wouldn’t accidentally pull the sheet up when he rolls over.  He would do that, and a pocket of air would form against me and I’d get cold.  I can keep my sheet wrapped around me and when Dh moves in his sheet, I still have my sheet around me. He has his own sheet to roll around in.  It makes for a long lump in the middle of the bed when I make the bed, but I don’t really care. I need my sleep and I can’t get it when I have cold pockets of air around me at night.

ETA:  If you can’t do anything else, then wear a hat indoors all the time. 

And blankets and warm baths are ok, but you have to get up and do things, and then what?  You need clothes that work like blankets, so: 4 layers on top, clothing tucked into each other, hats, robes, slippers.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

So, I am trying to be more aware of when I am feeling super cold. I think one of my main problems is that I am not prewarming before going out in the cold and I am not recovering enough between my morning trips outside. It’s then taking too long for me to fight back to equilibrium.

I am working on wearing a hat most of the time, and I need to find some scarves.

I don't have experience with this,but I recently saw an advertisement for a sweatshirt that was electrically heated. It has a battery pack in the pocket. I thought it was a great idea, but my dh thought it was ridiculous. So I don't have one. But if I was as cold as often as you, I would think it was worth trying.