Menu

Help me stay warm....ideas?

prairiewindmomma

I just finished all of my medical labs—this appears to just be me being maladapted to the cold....no anemia or thyroid things to tweak.

I am already wearing a base layer (not yet upgraded to wool, but I can’t afford that yet) under clothing.

I am already wearing wool socks.

I just bought a warmer coat (down, special thermal lining, longer length) as I get cold going outside and then take too long to warm back up.

I am drinking hot herbal tea and eating hot soup. I just bought a hydro flask so I can take herbal tea out me when I have to step outside (several times a day).

I soak in a hot tub (outside) a few times a week.

Any other ideas? My butt has been camped next to the fireplace under a blanket for two weeks now any time I can sneak away.

Have you considered warming up like you would for an exercise class. March in place, dance, go up and down the steps, etc.  It sounds like you’ve tried all the passive external things, so now generate some heat from the inside and get your blood pumping. You don’t have to sweat; just produce some heat. 

• Like 2

As mentioned elsewhere, I'd recommend a hot water bottle.  Here's a page with a number of choices.

We also use corn bags (flannel bags filled with corn) that we heat in the microwave.  A friend made them for us years ago, so I'm not sure what kind of corn they contain.  I've seen similar bags filled with flaxseed like this one or this one.

I imagine that Etsy has a thousand attractive choices.  

Heating Pad Microwavable Flax Seed

Large Heating Pad 9x18 Has removable washable COVER.

Llama Print Microwave Heat Pack - Reusable Corn Bag

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

Normal moving about does not seem to warm me up. This morning I was in and out to the school bus stop twice (with quite a walk each time) then up and down the steps several times doing laundry (including hand hanging it on racks scattered throughout the house because our dryer is broken and we’re waiting for another round of parts to come in) and various housekeeping things. I don’t think I stopped moving from 6am-10:30am, when I then sat to talk about chemistry with Ds. I sat until 12 and then I was up and going again.

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Normal moving about does not seem to warm me up. This morning I was in and out to the school bus stop twice (with quite a walk each time) then up and down the steps several times doing laundry (including hand hanging it on racks scattered throughout the house because our dryer is broken and we’re waiting for another round of parts to come in) and various housekeeping things. I don’t think I stopped moving from 6am-10:30am, when I then sat to talk about chemistry with Ds. I sat until 12 and then I was up and going again.

Did you move at your normal pace, or at a pace that would elevate your heart rate and keep it there for 10-15 minutes? Everyday things at a comfortable speed won’t give you a change. You may need to do an actual workout. I used to be able to get 2/3 through a martial arts class before all my toes thawed out. 😕

You could resort to technology and invest in battery operated socks or gloves. Are you wearing a hat indoors? Or even a hood? Maybe even soaking your feet in a pan of hot water because if your feet are warm it improves everything. If you have the space, you can probably locate a free, used treadmill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just bought a warmer coat (down, special thermal lining, longer length) as I get cold going outside and then take too long to warm back up.

I have to wear the most snug down coat (ETA: hooded, form fitted) I own so that there is no air gaps for cold air to get in. I also have to wear my most tight fitting jeans. I have to wear my coat at home for about 20 mins before going out to trap body heat and I take off my coat about 10mins after getting indoors. 

For outside when we go to an area much colder (ski resort) than our local area, I bring long thick gloves, hand warmers (https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Super-Warmer-Freshly-Packed/dp/B019YGJOZC/), feet (insole) warmers, thick scarf to act as a balaclava. I also wear knee length wool lined boots.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just finished all of my medical labs—this appears to just be me being maladapted to the cold....no anemia or thyroid things to tweak.

I am already wearing a base layer (not yet upgraded to wool, but I can’t afford that yet) under clothing.

I am already wearing wool socks.

I am drinking hot herbal tea and eating hot soup. I just bought a hydro flask so I can take herbal tea out me when I have to step outside (several times a day).

I soak in a hot tub (outside) a few times a week.

Any other ideas? My butt has been camped next to the fireplace under a blanket for two weeks now any time I can sneak away.

the base layer doesn't have to be expensive.  it can be wool, or (some types of) synthetic, or even silk   (I bought cheap silk long underwear from mervyn's? - it's warm, and extremely lightweight.  so lightweight - you'd think it would be worthless.)

you can even use nylons (I did when I was a teen).  - the condition being they need to breathe so they don't hold perspiration next to your skin.  I couldn't afford much, and bought 2dd a set of cuddle duds - the caveat was, they only made one pair that was listed as "breathable".  she was surprised how effective they were.

many polar fleece's are warm. (and can be cheap).

do you belong to costco? (or a friend who can take you?)  in the winter they get sheepskin boots - the real deal.  for about $30.  I do replace my insoles every couple years.  costco also currently has their long underwear in stock/ and on sale.  they also have these wonderful fluffy fleece warmer socks.  about 2 or 3 for $10?

when dd was doing winter crew - she used heavy polyester spandex.  she also wore some double knit polyester skirts that were warm.

do keep in mind-  you lose the most heat through hands, feet, and head.  keep them covered.  polar-type fleece is great.  I bought cheap leather gloves with the thinsulate lining at target - they're warm.  I always put gloves on in the store - if in five minutes my hands are warm, I will buy them. 

• Like 3

do keep in mind-  you lose the most heat through hands, feet, and head. 

This is not actually true. That little factoid comes from an extremely flawed experiment where the US Army tested a whole bunch of soldiers who were bundled up except for their hands and heads. Well, yeah, if you're wearing a heavy coat and heavy pants but no hat or gloves, of course you'll lose more heat from the parts of your body that're exposed to the cold weather! (The feet thing is new to me, and is probably not true either.)

However, if you're feeling cold outside then you probably should be wearing mittens and a hat, because every little bit does help.

OP, have you considered getting hand warmers? I say "hand warmers", but they come in all sizes, for hands, for shoes, for backs....

• Like 3

Cheap ways to keep warm:

layers - thrift stores often have men’s sweaters cheaper than women’s (unfair!) and these are usually loose enough to wear over top of clothes.  I am personally fond of merino wool blends.  Fleece is good too for layering.

Socks, gloves and a hat.  I often wear the fingerless light knit gloves around the house.  You can usually find these for $1 here.  Then when I run outside, I pull on mittens or gloves over top (layers again).  Double layers of loose socks work well for hopelessly cold feet.  

Scarf or buff for your neck.  Thrift stores can be your friend again here - cut up an old flannel or fleece shirt to make a warm wrap for your neck.  This blocks the cold air from sneaking into your warm jacket.

Are you cold when you sleep?  Try to go to bed warm or use a hot water bottle for your feet.  DD17 swears by her heated mattress pad, but that’s a more costly option.  

• Like 1

I used to be cold all the time.  What helped was layering, moving around a lot, hot showers, and putting clothes/blankets/coats in the dryer before using them.  Sitting near the heat element all the time really did not help.

At work, where they kept the thermostat low, I used to even wear gloves at my desk.

Are you wearing thermal underwear?  That made a big difference to my quality of life.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

What kind of recommendations did you receive from medical professionals? I assume that if you received a diagnosis, there would be some suggestions on what areas of the body you need to prioritize. Keeping the core body temp constant is critical to staying alive, so you may want to track your baseline body temps, then actually measure your body temp in various situations. You may feel cold, or have a perception of being cold, but your body temp might be within the normal range. 

• Like 1

When I do chores on my friend's horse and llama farm in the dead of winter, I wear JcPenney Cuddle Duds under my clothes. They work very well for me even when it is below zero with terrible wind chills. I also use those handwarmer packs from my local farm store when it is really terrible out. They make a new one now for body heat that you place on your chest or some other part of your body. We bought a bunch of these for our son who is going to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan and has a ton of walking between the engineering building which is not on main campus, and then his classes near the university center. He says that one placed on his chest really helps his body stay warmer.

• Like 1

Exercise.

I grew up in desert conditions, have next to no body fat, and could have written your post.  It was 21F degrees here on Thanksgiving.  BUT, a moderate exercise routine helps immensely.  I do a 20 minute yoga video and feel so much better and warmer than I do the days that I am still.  I keep the house at about 61-63 degrees for economy's sake, so I need something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

the base layer doesn't have to be expensive.  it can be wool, or (some types of) synthetic, or even silk   (I bought cheap silk long underwear from mervyn's? - it's warm, and extremely lightweight.  so lightweight - you'd think it would be worthless.)

you can even use nylons (I did when I was a teen).  - the condition being they need to breathe so they don't hold perspiration next to your skin.  I couldn't afford much, and bought 2dd a set of cuddle duds - the caveat was, they only made one pair that was listed as "breathable".  she was surprised how effective they were.

do you belong to costco? (or a friend who can take you?)  in the winter they get sheepskin boots - the real deal.  for about $30.  I do replace my insoles every couple years.  costco also currently has their long underwear in stock/ and on sale.  they also have these wonderful fluffy fleece warmer socks.  about 2 or 3 for $10?

when dd was doing winter crew - she used heavy polyester spandex.  she also wore some double knit polyester skirts that were warm.

do keep in mind-  you lose the most heat through hands, feet, and head.  keep them covered.  polar-type fleece is great.  I bought cheap leather gloves with the thinsulate lining at target - they're warm.  I always put gloves on in the store - if in five minutes my hands are warm, I will buy them. 

Can you buy these online?

• Like 1

I am like this too.  It seems to get worse as I am getting older. 

Turn Up the heat

More layers.  Walmart just had a shirt and pant set from cuddle duds for $10

Hat

Socks

Getting up and moving helps a ton.  Even outside.  I mean on bitter cold days that hardly helps. 

When you are outside can you get foot and hand warmers?  I think I saw them at the dollar store.

Down coat.  Also longer coat. 

Taller boots, basically cover more of yourself

Drinking warm drinks helps me so much.  

Taking a warm shower

Sitting on a heating pad works well too. 

Last move to some place warmer.  I am really thinking I want to do this.  I say it every year, but the older I get, the less I want to deal with winter. 

• Like 1

Poor you! 

I know that at night, if I take a hot bath right before I go to bed I seem to stay warm all night.  If I don't take a hot bath, it can take a long time to warm up!  (Although I don't really have that problem anymore since getting a heated mattress pad.)   Maybe that would work for you in the morning --  Start your day with a hot bath or shower?  Then, jump right away into warm clothes.  Other thoughts:  Can you turn your thermostat up just a couple degrees?  Sometimes just two degrees makes all the difference.  I've also seen those blanket throws that plug in and keep you warm.  You could wrap that around yourself while you're sitting.  It IS strange that moving around doesn't warm you up.  I do wonder if there's something else going on (health-wise), although I don't know what it would be.  My favorite thing now is my heated mattress pad.  We turn our thermostat way down to 55 even on the coldest winter nights (I'm talking 30 below 0 sometimes), but our heated mattress pad keeps us toasty warm.  Of course you can't lie in bed all day!  I wonder if any vitamins would help?

• Like 2

As others have said, wear gloves & a hat  (indoors if necessary). Thin fingerless gloves or the type with the one finger that's touch-screen compatible for indoors; put on an extra layer of gloves (or mittens), or swap out for a better type when you go outside. 

A simple cap/hat inside (a regular stocking cap/beanie/etc), and add a scarf over/around your neck & face when you go outside. 

A pair of normal socks under the wool socks &/or also wear shoes indoors, particularly if you have hard floors (vs carpeted), so that the cold from the floor isn't coming up through your socks. Even if it's a pair of hard soled house shoes, slippers, etc. 

Add layers. I routinely wear (in the winter) a camisole, a long sleeved shirt (or thermal, cuddle duds, etc.), then whatever outside shirt/sweater/etc.. Having that camisole layer beneath the main "base layer" adds a LOT; you'd be surprised. Add your jacket on top when you go out (and yes, a longer one is a good start). 

A hot shower in the morning and get dressed right away used to help me as well; not sure if that's backed by science or debunked by science, but it felt better to get dressed while all hot from the shower, blow dry my hair, keep all that warmth in. 

Switch to flannel sheets at night, &/or add a thermal blanket between your top sheet and top quilt/comforter. If needed, a heating pad, electric blanket, etc. turned on a few minutes before bed to warm it. Go to bed with your socks still on (take them off later if your feet get too warm). 

If all this still fails......definitely yes, try to find a way for your house to be warmer. Turn the thermostat up a bit, if possible, close off unused doors/rooms and close those vents, if you have ceiling fans, reverse the direction so that you can send the warm air back down into the room; if a 2-story home, close the upstairs heat vents and open the downstairs ones to force the heat down to the lower level (it will then naturally rise up to the 2nd story). Check things like door & window seals; see if anything needs recaulking, or invest in some door/window "draft blockers" (fabric tubes you place below the door/along the window to stop cold air seeping in). If you don't already have, consider curtains.  Make use of any sunlight you're getting (open blinds/curtains to let the sun in when it's hitting, close it once the sun drops/moves). Things like that will help keep the house warmer as well so you aren't fighting quite so hard. 

Best of luck; I know it's miserable to be cold all the time, especially inside your own house. 

• Like 2

I’ve heard that there is such a thing as iron being ‘lower than normal’ but not anemic-level of low that medical professionals regard as a medical condition.

You might try to increase your iron intake on your own (safely!) through diet and/or supplements.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Are they these? 

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Ladies'-Shearling-Zipper-Boot.product.100332608.html

They only have a 6 left in stock.  Did I miss the time to buy them? 

they get them in august.

sometimes local costcos will have some in stock that won't show up online.  (or they could be sold out.)

Edited by gardenmom5

I can't stay warm either. I find that wearing a scarf around my neck in the house helps a lot. (Wrapped high up to my chin and covering all the back of my neck, and tucked into the top of my sweater.) I was amazed at the difference the scarf made! Or try wearing a knit hat inside the house; up to 10% of heat loss is via the head. (Not the 45% of that 1950s US military experiment.)

Also for inside: fleece-lined slippers or boots that go up around the ankle help keep my feet much warmer.

And, when I stop moving and sit down I start to get cold, so I use a small space heater to keep my feet/legs warm.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have to wear the most snug down coat (ETA: hooded, form fitted) I own so that there is no air gaps for cold air to get in. I also have to wear my most tight fitting jeans. I have to wear my coat at home for about 20 mins before going out to trap body heat and I take off my coat about 10mins after getting indoors. 

For outside when we go to an area much colder (ski resort) than our local area, I bring long thick gloves, hand warmers (https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Super-Warmer-Freshly-Packed/dp/B019YGJOZC/), feet (insole) warmers, thick scarf to act as a balaclava. I also wear knee length wool lined boots.

I'm going to try to wear my coat longer after coming back in the house. We have had a lot of cold rain this week (right at the freezing mark), so that's not always possible, but a good thought.  

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I used to have a collection, and then we moved somewhere tropical. I need to buy more of these.

I do have the sheepskin boots from Costco.  I need to clean and then re-waterproof them. Our store didn't get new boots this year, so my boots are 4 years old... I have been wearing duck boots since currently we're getting a lot of rain (while temps are in the 30s) in the morning. 

I did buy sheepskin clogs this year to wear around the house (also from Costco) but they don't seem to have enough arch support for me to wear them without having hip issues. Maybe I should get another pair of boots to wear as house shoes...

8 hours ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Are you cold when you sleep?  Try to go to bed warm or use a hot water bottle for your feet.  DD17 swears by her heated mattress pad, but that’s a more costly option.  

Dh sleeps under a thin quilt. I have a doubled up down comforter on top of that quilt on my side. The down comforter isn't the thickest and loftiest ever, but when I've snuggled in for 5-10 minutes, I do stay warm. I would love to do flannel sheets, down comforter, and knit cap but dh sweats through everything if I do.  

8 hours ago, moonflower said:

can you turn up your thermostat?  DH and several of the kids would take 2-3 hot baths a day if we kept the thermostat as cold as I can tolerate it, so we keep it warmer because a couple of thermostat degrees is a lot cheaper than constantly running hot water.

I wish I could. When we moved from a tropical climate a year ago, we had to acclimate from keeping the house at 80F to keeping it at a temperature where we can pay the gas bill and still eat. We keep it at 67F during the day and 62F at night.

Five years ago, when we lived in a climate with very cold winters (like -10F was not a surprise in winter), we kept the house at 65F during the day.  

Dh and most of the kids have acclimated back, but I have not yet.

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh sleeps under a thin quilt. I have a doubled up down comforter on top of that quilt on my side. The down comforter isn't the thickest and loftiest ever, but when I've snuggled in for 5-10 minutes, I do stay warm. I would love to do flannel sheets, down comforter, and knit cap but dh sweats through everything if I do.  

You can get a heated mattress pad with two zones. I have one and DH has never, ever turned his side on. I haven’t yet put it on my bed this year, but it’s definitely time. I woke up with a cold head! I thought of this thread because I’m sitting here drinking tea, with a scarf wrapped around my head and a hoodie over that. We woke up to some crazy winds today!

We have an oil space heater and I think the quality of heat is warmer than an electric heater. The oil is sealed, so you use it like a regular plug in heater. https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-ComforTemp-Portable-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543421342&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oil+heater+radiator&dpPl=1&dpID=41tj-HqpmzL&ref=plSrch

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

What kind of recommendations did you receive from medical professionals? I assume that if you received a diagnosis, there would be some suggestions on what areas of the body you need to prioritize. Keeping the core body temp constant is critical to staying alive, so you may want to track your baseline body temps, then actually measure your body temp in various situations. You may feel cold, or have a perception of being cold, but your body temp might be within the normal range. 

These are great points, and they were addressed.

My morning basal temp runs a bit below average (which would indicate thyroid stuff) but my thyroid is addressed as best it can be among all of the other things going on in my body.  I don't have a ton of variation in my body temp, so my internal thermostat doesn't seem to be off.  

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and there is likely an autoimmune component to this problem for me.

The advice is to stay as warm as I can....layers, etc.

Also, if it isn't obvious - don't wait until you are cold to start warming back up.  Try to avoid getting cold in the first place.  (I do make this mistake at times - like when I'm engrossed in my work and then find my feet ice cold.   It can take hours to warm back up again.)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I wish I could. When we moved from a tropical climate a year ago, we had to acclimate from keeping the house at 80F to keeping it at a temperature where we can pay the gas bill and still eat. We keep it at 67F during the day and 62F at night.

You might want to find room in your budget for more heat or invest in a small wood stove. We keep our house at 68 and EVERYONE freezes here. It’s the coldest house of all my friends and I warn people to wear layers. I live in a very wet climate and I think fighting a wet cold outside can be a challenge.

The opposite is true inside. Turn on your house humidifier if you have one.  If not get some water in the air with vaporizers, pots of simmering water, or open crockpots full of hot water.  

ETA: I face the challenge of being a cold sleeper. Everyone else in my house heats up like a furnace in their sleep, but I get colder while I’m sleeping and can wake up chilly if I’m not careful.  

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Five years ago, when we lived in a climate with very cold winters (like -10F was not a surprise in winter), we kept the house at 65F during the day.  

Dh and most of the kids have acclimated back, but I have not yet.

It took dh years to get used to midwest winters again even though he grew up here. Maybe that is part of it. 

2 hours ago, HeighHo said:

You mentioned no anemia or thyroid.  What was the B12 and D result?  My doctor explained to me that D and B12 levels in the US are set for survive not thrive, so he uses the higher levels the Japanese use.  Once I moved my levels into the zone I didn't need to dress in layers at 68 F or run a space heater under my desk at work and my fingernails weren't blue.

In the meantime, if  you find you are cold, do the big arm circles exercise..that gets your circulation going. 

Good points. I'm in optimal zones, but I do have to supplement. 

49 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I can't stay warm either. I find that wearing a scarf around my neck in the house helps a lot. (Wrapped high up to my chin and covering all the back of my neck, and tucked into the top of my sweater.) I was amazed at the difference the scarf made! Or try wearing a knit hat inside; up to 10% of heat loss is via the head.

Also for inside: fleece-lined slippers or boots that go up around the ankle help keep my feet much warmer. And if my

And, when I stop moving and sit down I start to get cold, so I use a small space heater to keep my feet/legs warm.

I'm going to try wearing a scarf and cap inside. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You might want to find room in your budget for more heat or invest in a small wood stove. We keep our house at 68 and EVERYONE freezes here. It’s the coldest house of all my friends and I warn people to wear layers. I live in a very wet climate and I think fighting a wet cold outside can be a challenge.

The opposite is true inside. Turn on your house humidifier if you have one.  If not get some water in the air with vaporizers, pots of simmering water, or open crockpots full of hot water.  

There's no room in our budget. 😞 

I also live in a cold wet climate now. 

I can't mess with the internal humidity of the house because of ds's mold allergy. The humidity is controlled to be 40% or lower....and has to stay that way until we can afford to get all of the carpet out of the house. If I boost the humidity, we're going to be dealing with tons more asthma. 

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There's no room in our budget. 😞 

I also live in a cold wet climate now. 

I can't mess with the internal humidity of the house because of ds's mold allergy. The humidity is controlled to be 40% or lower....and has to stay that way until we can afford to get all of the carpet out of the house. If I boost the humidity, we're going to be dealing with tons more asthma. 

Ack. That sucks. Santa needs to bring you heated throws for every surface!

ETA: If it helps with the budget, I was able to remove my carpet and install Luxury Vinyl Plank all by myself with no real diy skills. I had to learn to tap in every piece so they’d be snug, but it was intuitive beyond that. With help you could do A couple rooms in a weekend. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'm always cold too - with no medical cause found. 

Things I do that help. 

#1 base layer - pull your socks over the top of the legs of your bottom layer (or leggings). Make sure the bottom of your top base layer is tucked into the top of your bottom base layer. This helps me a lot. I find that the synthetic one I got at Dilliards (clearance, whim, Modal brand?) actually works very well.

#2. Layers.

#3. I have some fingerless gloves. Actually they are arthritis gloves (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWXQBY8/) which were recommended by my doctor when my fingers were turning blue from cold. It takes some time to learn to work in them, but they help. I can't do everything in them, but I can do a lot more now!

#4 Hand warmers - I have packs of the Hot Hands hand warmers in the cars, various bags, etc. You can put one in the toe of your shoes - it helps keep your feet warm. If I'm somewhere cold, I tuck one in the inside wrist portion of each of the gloves from #3 (they are compression gloves, so it stays there pretty well).

#5 I have an electric heater by my computer desk.

#6. Scarves. I often wear an infinity scarf or a Buff around just to help protect my neck from cold air.

#7. Slippers if you are in the house and don't wear shoes in it. I like the Wicked Good Slippers from LL Bean. Yes, I'm wearing socks with them too. 

#8. I have an electric throw (Sam's Club) that I can wrap around me and get warm if I get cold. 

#9. If I take a nap when it is cool in the house, I put a small blanket over my head to keep the top of my head warm. It is just more comfortable to me than wearing a hat. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ack. That sucks. Santa needs to bring you heated throws for every surface!

ETA: If it helps with the budget, I was able to remove my carpet and install Luxury Vinyl Plank all by myself with no real diy skills. I had to learn to tap in every piece so they’d be snug, but it was intuitive beyond that. With help you could do A couple rooms in a weekend. 

It's in our plans...we just have a long list of essential and urgent things that are all waiting right now that we are dealing with. It's been a budget busting year in so many ways....we just need to dig out. 

Santa is bringing me a new waterproof down coat, so not bad. 🙂 

• Like 1