Menu

What do you do with your books and magazines once read?

sheryl

I keep mine thinking I'll return to it to glean some missed nugget of golden information or to review the same.   Currently I'm going through tons of old, well-appreciated and read books, magazines and Bible studies.  

What do you do?  I'm thinking I may glance back over the books and magazines and if they apply now, keep and if not, trash.   But, what to do with my Bible Studies (specifically CBS)?

I might try to make this a poll.

Tell me what you do!

• Like 1

Bible study books I generally throw away.  Books and magazines I donate or pass in to friends.  I just downsized to a house way smaller and took about 20 reference/non fiction books, a small box of children's books, and then donated everything else.

• Like 3

I always throw away Bible studies because I don’t want anyone to see what I’ve written! Books are passed on to grandmothers, and then donated if returned. I don’t like to re-read books, so I pass them along. Sometimes if I have newer released books, I’ll donate to the library so they’ll have extra copies of popular books. 

• Like 1

Books - I generally keep, at least for a while, unless it's something I know for sure I will never read again.  But I buy few books, and those almost exclusively cookbooks or other nonfiction. Except for the occasional classic novel, I get my fiction from the library.

Magazines - I just recycle. I might pull out a recipe or article and file it for future reference.

Bible studies - if it's in a book I might revisit, I'll keep it. If it's a "home-made" sort of study of just printed sheets, I will probably recycle unless it's so good I might go through it again. 

• Like 1

I have a really hard time getting rid of old magazines and books.  It's one reason I've tried to stop subscribing to magazines, because I have such a hard time getting rid of them.  I feel I've got to read each one and pull out interesting pages/recipes before I chuck them.   And now my mom is bringing me magazines once she's finished reading them, too.  I have an easier time with those.  I try to sit down right away and pull out interesting things, but so often there are too many interesting things!

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

We've also been getting books and magazines in digital form for quite some time. Most books are borrowed from the library anyway, also in digital form.

When I did get physical books and magazines I would offer books to people I knew before donating them to the local friends of the library. I donated used magazines to the library directly. If it was a subscription magazine I cut off the address label.

I'll leave the bible studies books answer to others. That's not a thing in our family. Although, in general if a book was consumable I threw it away.

• Like 1

Magazines -- give to family members or recycle.  

Books -- if it's an informative reference-type book, I'll keep it, at least for awhile.  If it's just a good book (novel, biography, or whatever), I'll sometimes keep it in my bookcase, but will usually eventually give it away to a thrift store.  If it's a coffee table book, I'll probably keep it out for awhile to browse now and then, and then delegate it to my bookshelf for awhile (years, even), and eventually donate to the local thrift.

Really, the only books I plan to keep forever are books that are especially meaningful or helpful, and some special children's books.

• Like 1

Our local library has a place for magazines. You can leave them there and others can take and enjoy. Most people bring them back and they are taken again. This same library takes book donations and has multiple sales throughout the year to help raise funds for different projects. . .summer reading program, in school programs, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for these replies!  This is me and a bit of the other responses above.  I used to buy a 2-3 magazine subscriptions years ago, but don't now.  I have a ton of books I've put aside and now that dd is at cc I have more time to read them.  But, I used to "feel like I had to read everything cover to cover".  I think that's bonkers or maybe a little ocd. But, I have Bible studies I've kept with intentions of reviewing them.  I really don't know what to do - keep the Bible studies or not, keep my books or not.. And, cookbooks! I have quite a few.  I have my Grandmother's cookbook and my Mom's cookbook.  After I married I bought the same cookbook as my Moms.  I don't need 2 copies but my Mom's got ruined on a few pages.  Or, do I keep mine with torn pages?  Keep both! OY! 

9 hours ago, Serenade said:

I have a really hard time getting rid of old magazines and books.  It's one reason I've tried to stop subscribing to magazines, because I have such a hard time getting rid of them.  I feel I've got to read each one and pull out interesting pages/recipes before I chuck them.   And now my mom is bringing me magazines once she's finished reading them, too.  I have an easier time with those.  I try to sit down right away and pull out interesting things, but so often there are too many interesting things!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kiwik said:

Put them on the bookshelf.  When the bookshelf is full I get another bookshelf.

LOL.  I'm trying to discern what to keep and recycle (trash, donate).  Really I'm trying to come to terms with keeping something if I don't "use" it anymore.  

I keep books that are special to me or that someone will re-read (or even might re-read.) I was able to purge a lot just getting rid of things I knew we wouldn’t read again or books with information that was easier, or more up-to-date online. You will never read your college textbooks again. Let them go. (I kept a few for making floating shelves, but haven’t done it yet.) 

I went through my old cooking magazines, tore out the recipes I wanted, and put them in a binder. If you know a preschool teacher, they’ll take the rest for collage. 

My kids maintain their personal libraries in their rooms and I don’t micromanage those. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sheryl said:

LOL.  I'm trying to discern what to keep and recycle (trash, donate).  Really I'm trying to come to terms with keeping something if I don't "use" it anymore.  

Well you never know with magazines. I have a stash of old BBC music magazines that I could not part with. Those were pre babies. Well my youngest (who happens to be a string player) just discovered and read a wonderful article about his hero - Rostropovich. Who could have thought! 12 years later it proved useful.  While the story is true, I am poking fun of myself, because I can’t really throw away printed things unless they are filled out workbooks. ? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well you never know with magazines. I have a stash of old BBC music magazines that I could not part with. Those were pre babies. Well my youngest (who happens to be a string player) just discovered and read a wonderful article about his hero - Rostropovich. Who could have thought! 12 years later it proved useful.  While the story is true, I am poking fun of myself, because I can’t really throw away printed things unless they are filled out workbooks. ? 

I hear ya!  ?  

• Like 1

In our home we have the following bookshelves:

1. Large one with doors in my bedroom.  

2. Two large ones in the kids room

3.  2 decently sized ones in the office plus my desk as three shelves.

4. Small one in the hall.  

Anything that doesn’t fit has to go, meaning some new books displace older ones.  I pass on books mainly on the free table at our homeschooling classes.  

• Like 1