Menu

Kitchen Design recs - farmhouse sink & trash pullout cabinet

PrincessMommy

We're working on updating our kitchen and I was wondering about two things.

I always loved the looks of farmhouse sinks that have become popular.  Does anyone actually have one?  How is it?  We wouldn't be getting one that is extra large.   Probably just a traditional width sink.  But, they are expensive.  I don't want to buy something that actually ends up not being so great.  

Also, the trash can in the cabinet concept.  I'm not convinced by this as it seems to take up precious cabinet space and they get yucky.   We've always had a  trash can to the side in the kitchen, which I'm fine with.   But, maybe they're better than I realize? 

I love the look of the white farmhouse sink, but when I had one in college (it was a really old building) they were badly stained.  My parents have one and they have to be careful to not let it get stained, too.  When we did our kitchen, we got a metal farmhouse sink.  I love it.  I like that I can fit anything in it - my giant cookie sheet, my biggest stock pot, several casserole dishes, etc.  The only drawback is that my family will put off unloading the dishwasher if they see that there is still room for dishes in the sink, so I have to stay on top of making sure that kiddos unload the dishwasher every time that its run so that the sink doesn't fill up.  But, when everybody is doing what they are supposed to, I love having space to wash everything without having to wash one side and then the other because a pan doesn't fit.  

• Like 1

When we remodeled our kitchen, we put in a trash can in the cabinet. I really love it. We have one that pulls out and has two plastic trash cans. We use the front can for trash and the back one for recyclables. They both pull out for easy emptying and cleaning and it doesn't get yucky. It's really just a piece of wood at the top with holes that hold the cans, but it also prevents trash from falling into the cabinet. We have a very small kitchen so I don't have to find a space for trash or recyclables. The mess is always out of sight , but it's still easy to reach. I would definitely do this in any future kitchen.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ClemsonDana said:

I love the look of the white farmhouse sink, but when I had one in college (it was a really old building) they were badly stained.  My parents have one and they have to be careful to not let it get stained, too.  When we did our kitchen, we got a metal farmhouse sink.  I love it.  I like that I can fit anything in it - my giant cookie sheet, my biggest stock pot, several casserole dishes, etc.  The only drawback is that my family will put off unloading the dishwasher if they see that there is still room for dishes in the sink, so I have to stay on top of making sure that kiddos unload the dishwasher every time that its run so that the sink doesn't fill up.  But, when everybody is doing what they are supposed to, I love having space to wash everything without having to wash one side and then the other because a pan doesn't fit.  

I love a white sink.  I've had a white cast iron sink years ago and I loved it. Anytime it got a stain I would spray on bleach product and poof - it was gone.  I now have a Corian sink and I do the same thing.  It's so easy to make it white and shiny.  I've also had stainless steel sinks and I just don't like them as much.  I think it's a personal preference.  I do see that they have the farmhouse style sinks in both white and stainless - as well as a copper look (no way).  

We have a trash can drawer.  It is fantastic.  It is built into my work island so I don't have to take more than a step in any direction from the island, stove, fridge, or counter/sink to toss something away.  I wish I had a second for recyclables (those go on the sink counter until the end of the day), but I'll take what I can get.  Directly above it I keep a bowl for compost and that gets emptied after every meal, but I wouldn't have minded that built in as well.  Had I designed it I would have created a station that takes the containers from Ikea, but the width of mine is just a hair too big to make that feasible.

• Like 1

When we did our kitchen remodel, we did a cabinet trash drawer. We love it! We have a smaller kitchen but felt it was worth the loss cabinet space. Ours has two plastic trash cans. The front one we use for trash and the back ones for the extra bags. Our recycling bins are in the garage, not far away.

• Like 1

I have a kitchen island, and I like being able to take my trash container out from under the sink and over next to the island to throw parings directly into it sometimes.  Most of the time I use it under the sink, where it goes, but when I'm cooking HARD or with someone else, it is really handy to be able to move it around.  So I would not want a built in one.

Re. farmhouse sinks, I have not used one, but I have looked at several homes with them, and as I am rather short I thought I would have trouble leaning over and down into them to get at small items on the bottom like utensils.  Also, I like having a double sink so that I can wash on one side and not rinse into the wash water.  YMMV.  If I were taller, I think I would go with a farmhouse sink but wash smaller items in a plastic tub in it that I would only have out when it was in direct use.  I love the looks of the farmhouse sinks, and it certainly would be nice to have a sink I could fit my big roasting pans in on occasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I always loved the looks of farmhouse sinks that have become popular.  Does anyone actually have one?  How is it?  We wouldn't be getting one that is extra large.   Probably just a traditional width sink.  But, they are expensive.  I don't want to buy something that actually ends up not being so great.  

Also, the trash can in the cabinet concept.  I'm not convinced by this as it seems to take up precious cabinet space and they get yucky.   We've always had a  trash can to the side in the kitchen, which I'm fine with.   But, maybe they're better than I realize? 

So, I couldn't do a single sink.  I'd lose my mind.  How does one wash and then rinse a load of dishes?  I have two sinks - one vertical and one horizontal.  That works well for pots and pans.  Have you thought of the practicality of a single, very deep sink?  (Killer on the back, btw.)  But that could be just ME! ;) I think there is a whole thread on this somewhere....

So, my mom has a cabinet with a tip out for the garbage can.  The thing I like about hers is that it doesn't have a bottom.  The can sits on an insert, it catches the lip of the can and holds it, so if something falls below, it just goes on the ground instead of creating inconvenience in the cabinet.  I think it reduces odor. We've opted to do something slightly different.  We are creating a rolling cart of sorts and then putting a cutting board on top rather than counter top.  You can buy stainless steel (I think the word is grommet) hole in the cutting board towards the back so that stuff can be dropped in from the top.  I'm not sure how we'll love it, but I like the option of pulling it completely out because we move our garbage can from place to place at times.  Just a thought.  I don't love the garbage can having a footprint in the kitchen fwiw, but that's also due to the layout of our kitchen.

3 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes to the big sink. No to the trash can cabinet. The build up of smells and germs in there would send me over the edge.

I have a big double white farmhouse sink and love it. I also have two cabinets with trash cans and love those, too. We don’t really have any smelly kitchen garbage and they only occasionally get little splatters that are easy to wipe up. Mine are in a central location in the kitchen, so I can easily chuck trash in from just about anywhere I’m working. I like that the trash cans aren’t visible, and it’s also been handy when we have puppies to keep them out of the garbage.

36 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

So, I couldn't do a single sink.  I'd lose my mind.  How does one wash and then rinse a load of dishes?  I have two sinks - one vertical and one horizontal.  That works well for pots and pans.  Have you thought of the practicality of a single, very deep sink?  (Killer on the back, btw.)  But that could be just ME! ;) I think there is a whole thread on this somewhere....

So, my mom has a cabinet with a tip out for the garbage can.  The thing I like about hers is that it doesn't have a bottom.  The can sits on an insert, it catches the lip of the can and holds it, so if something falls below, it just goes on the ground instead of creating inconvenience in the cabinet.  I think it reduces odor. We've opted to do something slightly different.  We are creating a rolling cart of sorts and then putting a cutting board on top rather than counter top.  You can buy stainless steel (I think the word is grommet) hole in the cutting board towards the back so that stuff can be dropped in from the top.  I'm not sure how we'll love it, but I like the option of pulling it completely out because we move our garbage can from place to place at times.  Just a thought.  I don't love the garbage can having a footprint in the kitchen fwiw, but that's also due to the layout of our kitchen.

I also wouldn't do a single sink - I still remember my Grandma's excitement when she finally got a double sink! She would be sad that it's become a thing to go back to the one big sink thing - her single sink was hard to do dishes in.

I had a large ceramic farmhouse sink in a previous house, and I would never have another one. I was constantly scrubbing out stains and marks made by pots & pans, and it chipped when a heavy cast iron pan was accidentally dropped on the edge of it. I do prefer a large, deep, single sink and plan to get the largest single stainless sink I can find when I remodel the kitchen in my current house, because I hate not being able to put large roasting pans and cookie sheets in it. Also, the kids are constantly putting dirty dishes in the side of the sink that doesn't have the disposal, and I hate having to scrape soggy food remnants out of that side of the sink. It's easy enough to make a single sink into a "double" with a plastic dishpan, but you can't turn a double sink into a single if you want more room.

• Like 1

I may be the only one who can't make up my mind about the trash can pullout cabinet. 

I like it because the trash is always hidden away. But I also have to tell everyone who comes over where the trash can is. Multiple times. 

Downsides: 

Currently some people will overload the trash and not take it out right away. This causes overflow and someone has to root around in the cabinet bottom to withdraw.

Other people think they can just pull it out and scrap off whatever is on the island into the trash. This is complicated by the fact there is a drawer with a handle above it.  I have to wipe that handle off many times. 

If my hands are contaminated by whatever (raw chicken, egg, etc), I have to stand on one leg and try to pull up the cabinet from the bottom - without falling over! We cut a very short board and put under the cabinet door to help with this, but it had to be very short so that the vacuum cleaner can go under it since the cabinet overhangs the support (I hope that makes sense!).

But, the trash is always hidden, and that makes me happy not to look at it, nor to step around a trash can all the time. 

ETA: We haven't had a problem with our trash smelling. But we do compost, so maybe that is why? 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 2

I love my trash can in a cabinet but like Bambam mentioned, guest can’t find it. Even guests who have been here before.  It got messy when we had young kids but it’s better now that everyone is grown. 

I wouldn’t like a farmhouse sink. I do a lot of hand washing of dishes and I like a wash compartment and a rinse compartment.   But if I bought a house with one I’d just use a small wash basin in one side to have soapy water to wash dishes.  

• Like 1

Literally, the very first thing I made DH do when we bought this house was tear out the garbage cabinet.  He removed the wire apparatus that held two different trash cans and then we had to clean out some gross garbage before I bleached and then painted the cabinet.  THEN he put in pull out drawers so I can use the space as a baking pantry.  

We have a garbage can with a lid and a lever that you step on to open the lid.  Keeps the garbage out of sight, the stainless steel can looks nice in the kitchen and I have no concerns about someone missing the garbage can and no one noticing for a very long time. 

• Like 1

These are all great things to think about.  I'm still undecided about the trash can.  We actually do have a spot for a stand-alone trash can.    I can guarantee that we would have problems with it getting overfilled since I already have that issue.  I still haven"t figured out why someone (who PUT something in an already overstuffed trashcan) cannot empty it out... same with putting dirty dishes into a ready and waiting dishwasher... and when they do they expect a round of applause and flowers thrown at their feet... Hrumph.   (you may have hit a sore spot).

Being tall  makes me wonder about a deep sink.   I think my sink is deep now and I don't have problems.  So now I'm off to figure out how deep down a farmhouse sink goes.   We don't wash many dishes by hand.  Maybe a pot or a 9x13 used at dinner... but everything else is rinsed and put in the dishwasher.  I am assuming people like the double sink for hand-washing?  Otherwise, I'm clueless about the allure of one.

Edited by PrincessMommy

In our last house, we had a pull out trash can cabinet and it did get grimy.  Apparently we just couldn't aim properly and crumbs and spatters were always landing around the trash can and collecting in all the crevices--very annoying to clean.  I don't miss it.

• 2 years later...

You are right about farmhouse sinks and their popularity getting bigger. Really sorry for bumping into this old thread but, I am now renovating my kitchen and couldn't agree more on the fact that farmhouse sinks look really sophisticated... So I guess I have to make everything by that style. After renovating our kitchen we have bought every single item except for the sink... My wife has come across this https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-farmhouse-sink-reviews/ that has great examples of farmhouse sinks and interesting reviews.

Edited by Robred

I have no desire for a cabinet trash can. Well, that’s not entirely true, because I do love the look/idea, I just can’t see it working for us.

My hands are often filthy with whatever I’m throwing away, so I don’t want to touch a cabinet. My kids spill like they have major vision problems. And the trash winds up sitting overnight more often than I’d like to admit, so I can only imagine what odors the cabinet itself would absorb.

Since this thread was ressurected I thought I'd update.

We didnt get the farmhouse sink.  I'm still bummed about it but what we have works very nicely.  It's white and I do love how easy it is to clean up.

We ended up going with the trash in the cabinet feature and I regret it.  Yes, it is nice that it's hidden away and easy access.  But, it gets gross and stinky.  Additionally, the trash can is small by kitchen trash can standards.  It is not your traditional 13 gallon size.  We have to replace it way more often.    You guys helped me so much when I was going through issues with our contractor and helping me to think things through with the sink and trash can.  Here's a photo of the finished kitchen.

All the natural wood cabinets were here when we moved in.  We just bought cabinets for the island and the under the stairs storage: 

20201112_173717.jpg

20201112_174222.jpg

• Like 3

I have a pull out kitchen drawer trash can. We did make a modification when we moved here. We added a small board that hangs down below the bottom of the drawer so I can easily open it with my foot - for those times when your hands are messy but you need to throw something away and forgot to have the trash can open. It can be a problem if someone keeps just piling things in there, but they've learned. 

• Like 1

I loved having a pull-out trash can.  In that kitchen (and in some kitchens I have had) there is no good place to put a trash can.  In my current kitchen I have a good place for a trash can and it’s totally fine with me not to have a pull-out one.  It is convenient and not in the way, it’s not awkward, we aren’t bumping into it. That’s happened in other kitchens.

The problem with the pull-out is — and this is minor to me — if kids aren’t careful they can drip stuff on the edge of the pull-out thing and in-between the place where the bins attach.  They can also, if they push the trash can in when it’s a little over-full, knock stuff into the cabinet, and then somebody has to reach back to get it out.  I had to wipe that out once in a while and pick out trash once in a while.  That’s a pretty easy kid job though.  I wouldn’t even call it a problem, but it exists with what we had.  I loved it though.  

• Like 1

I am too short to like a deep sink.  I hate reaching down so deep.  My mom has one and she loves it.  A huge positive is dirty dishes can be set in the bottom and they aren’t visible — so it can look nice for her even if she waits until evening to load the dishwasher.  She does love everything about it and doesn’t mind at all reaching down so far.  She is even slightly shorter than I am.  We could give my son baths in the sink until he was (over) 2!  My mom found that 1,000 times easier than bending over a bathtub. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

@Lecka - thank you.  I'm pleased with the results.  And, there are dirty dishes in the sink you can't see.  🙂  It is one perk of having a deeper sink and it being within the line-site of the front door.   I am with your mom on the washing kids in the sink.  Way easier on my back.  

@Patty Joanna - mine is actually a double can.  One for trash and one for recycling.   We are recycling more now that it is much more convienent. So there's that. 

I love my cabinet trash cans.  I have it in two places.  One holds two 13 gallon cans ( I really had to search for this one as cabinet company said it didnt exist but I knew it did since two of my aunts had it in their kitchens)

and the other a smaller single can.  It does get messy and stinky so I have to clean them out every so often but with dogs and kids it has been a lifesaver.  Before no matter what trash can I bought the dog figured out how to get into it or a toddler (which I don't have any longer just teens and twenties now) would empty it everywhere.  Worth it to me.

• Like 1

It's interesting that this thread was revived because I have to revise my earlier assessment. We bought a house with a trash cabinet and split sink. I still dislike the split sink b/c I can't wash my large casserole dishes easily, but I do like the trash cabinet. It's very handy. My kids are forced to take the trash out more often so it doesn't get stinky. LOL. Ours is 13 gallon size.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1