Menu

Broken Ankle

MrsMommy

I rolled my ankle going down the stairs today, and I must have done quite a job of it, because it's broken.

Please tell me I'm going to survive this. I am so terrible at sitting still. One evening on the couch with my leg up, and I'm already going crazy! And tips to get through this? I know there are so many worse things that could happen, but I'm really struggling!

• Sad 5

I am so sorry.  I have been there.  It was no fun.  The best advice I can give you is to follow your doctor’s instructions and let your kids ( (and husband) help.  

I broke my ankle in a spectular way about two years ago.  I had to let go of the idea of doing much of anything while it healed.  My goals for the day were things like getting to the bathroom and remembering not to put my foot on the ground.  My kids were amazing.  My husband was amazing.  They did the fetch and carry for me.  I couldn’t  carry anything while using crutches or in my case a walker.  They helped each other.  It was enlightening to everyone how much stuff I usually did and couldn’t do at the time,

I hope you have a speedy recovery and good pain management.  (If you were given codeine or any other opioid pain killer be aware it can cause constipation.  You might want to take something like colace, a stool softener available no prescription at the pharmacy, if that turns out to be a problem.)

• Like 3

I've been there with a broken tibia and fibula. My orders were no weight bearing for six weeks then a boot for another six (I think) weeks. That first six weeks was when I learned to love having a laptop (these days a tablet will do but in 2008 it was a laptop). I read a lot of books. My IRL book club ladies dropped off a basket with some paperback books, herbal teas and cookies.

Ds was 10 and was very helpful as was my husband. I also had some homeschool friends who picked ds up and brought him to group activities when I couldn't drive. And a few others dropped off frozen meals. If you have people to help out that's going to be your biggest relief. 

Before I could walk we were able to get insurance to cover a wheelchair rental. Dh put temporary plywood ramps up at our front door and garage door so the chair could easily go down the slight step on the porch. I also took advantage of the carts they have at stores. Here's a tip - if you're not used to them they aren't easy maneuver. I almost took down a display of bananas at the grocery store. ?  

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Listen to your doctor and follow orders. If nothing else, catch up on books you've been meaning to read.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm so sorry. I did the same thing last year at this time. I turned my ankle going down a step and I had both a break and a severe sprain that took a very long time to heal. Now's a good time to read all those books on your list and get other family members to do all the jobs and errands you can't do.  Crutches and/or a wheelchair will be helpful, but plan to do a lot of things that involve sitting.

• Like 1

I am so sorry. And, I am sorry to say, it won't be easy. Please keep your foot elevated above your heart and ice frequently. If you are in a cast already, you can ice behind your knee to cool the blood. You really want to keep the swelling to a minimum. I slept on the couch so I could keep my foot elevated at night. If I slept in the bed, even with my foot propped on pillows, I would take it off the pillows. I can't move as much on the couch. The good news is that you might only need to do this for a few nights, or if you are casted correctly, not at all. 

A knee scootter or a wheelchair can really give you mobility and independence that crutches cannot. 

• Like 1

When my kids were younger, I broke my leg and dislocated my shoulder.  And although I could have done without the fracture, it did change my family's dynamics for the better.  As I was immobilized on the couch all day, I learned that my kids could handle much more responsibility than I had previously given them credit for...and I learned to be much more relaxed about household chores being done in a timely or a certain way (my way, that is!)  We had to cut down on daily outside activities yet that caused my kids and I to move to a slower track in life.  We rediscovered the joys of just snuggling on the couch, sharing books again, and just hanging out together.  I don't want to sound smarmy or whatever but ,all in all, I think my 12 weeks in various casts really ended up being a positive experience!  

• Like 2

I learned how to cross-stitch when I broke my ankle.

But I didn't have kids or anything at the time either.  DH was my fiancee and took care of me like a champ.

I do recall the day I finally went to get the last cast off I was foolish and didn't take my crutches with me.  I had been in a walking cast for the last two weeks, so didn't need crutches anymore.  Well, they took that cast off and my ankle could not support my weight at all.  My poor man had to carry me out to the car after that appointment.  I was surprised how long it took to regain my strength and feel back to normal.

Twenty years later and it still aches when it's going to precipitate.    Even though it will drive you crazy, I hope you're able to find some things to do that will make you enjoy this time.  Read some books you've been meaning to get to, binge watch a TV show or two, take up a needle craft of some kind.  Some down time sounds absolutely lovely to me right now! Lol!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Twenty years later and it still aches when it's going to precipitate.    

It's been 10 years since I broke my ankle and I get that too. My doctor told me that people who have broken a bone will forever know when the barometric pressure changes. ? 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's been 10 years since I broke my ankle and I get that too. My doctor told me that people who have broken a bone will forever know when the barometric pressure changes. ? 

I've been really lucky and haven't had that happen to me.  I shattered my ankle and have broken my foot, wrist, and tailbone.  All healed completely with no issues - I am very fortunate.  My ankle took a full year and two surgeries to heal.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! This isn't exactly how I planned spending my time leading up to the holidays, but I'm surviving (so far). Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the orthopedist so I can move on to phase two of this wonderful adventure.

Regardless of the advice we've given you, listen to your doctor. Some of us weren't allowed to walk for a time, others were able to walk with crutches, a cane, or wearing a boot. I'm guessing it all depends on the type and severity of the break. In my case I was told absolutely no weight bearing for six weeks. When I asked why the doctor explained it was all about the pins.. Putting weight on my ankle could have caused the pins to move or break and fixing that would require more extensive and less "simple" surgery. So I followed his orders. 

Follow our recommendations on how to keep yourself occupied and sane; follow your doctor's recommendations on everything else. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Regardless of the advice we've given you, listen to your doctor. Some of us weren't allowed to walk for a time, others were able to walk with crutches, a cane, or wearing a boot. I'm guessing it all depends on the type and severity of the break. In my case I was told absolutely no weight bearing for six weeks. When I asked why the doctor explained it was all about the pins.. Putting weight on my ankle could have caused the pins to move or break and fixing that would require more extensive and less "simple" surgery. So I followed his orders. 

Follow our recommendations on how to keep yourself occupied and sane; follow your doctor's recommendations on everything else. 

Oh, definitely! I've been really good about keeping it elevated all weekend, which was the only real advice the ER doctor gave me besides staying off it. I'm just looking forward to getting more specific instructions at my appointment on Wednesday, so I know what I have to look forward to.

• Like 1

I second the knee scooter.  I rolled my foot 8 weeks ago and just broke a bone in my foot.  I'm walking slowly with regular good supportive athletic shoes now.  I couldn't put weight on it for 3 weeks and the knee scooter was awesome.  They specifically say not to treat it like a kid scooter and keep one foot on the ground - basically not cruise on the thing nor have any fun.  But really- it's a knee SCOOTER.  Who can resist?

• Like 1