Menu

1st grade history next year for kid not ready for SOTW 1?

staceyobu

My older 3 will be doing SOTW 4 next year. I have my middle two combined in science. I really need a solid plan for my youngest, or he gets lost in the shuffle.

He reads really well. He does not listen well to books with no pictures.  He seems to understand more when he reads something, but he absorbs very little when I read to him. I don't think he'd hang with SOTW 1. I'd love to keep him in modern history with the others, but if the plan is for me to hunt library books that match the weeks topic, it just won't happen.

Sonlight is heavy non picture book reading. MFW looks like the phonics instruction is way too easy (and the package contains a bunch of stuff I don't need). Is there something out there that would be a good match?

Agreed. It's really fine to not do history this year. Get a picture book a couple of times that yours in, if you like. Don't feel held to it every chapter, or skip it completely.

If you want to do something with him, what about a geography year? Biomes, continents, children from various nations...

• Like 4

We used Pioneers and Patriots, but I read it to her. It's at a higher reading level, but the chapters are short (she had very little ability to sit and listen at the time) with some pictures. We'd read a section (just a few pages) each day. There are some projects to do at the end of each chapter. It tells the story of American History from the perspective of children living through it. It is not secular, but not heavy handed. 

Link to sample: https://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=971513&actual_sku=971513&slide=4

Link to book: https://www.christianbook.com/american-pioneers-patriots-second-edition/caroline-emerson/9781932971514/pd/971513?en=google&event=SHOP&kw=homeschool-0-20|971513&p=1179710&dv=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblLkYEHFa3pOuUnkhSa0qys5eqqTid1YBXOW0zdU0a8xUD4dBc4ojkhoC1ssQAvD_BwE

He's 6? Just let him pick random picture books from the library about history or cultures, tag along with the others when he's interested. The Liberty's Kids videos are fun.  Just learning about holidays (lots of american history there), and things that come up as your olders do school and life will be plenty. 

If you want him to parrallel his siblings and finding specific books as you go won't happen, find some now and stock up. Picture books for late modern history are trickier, but still abundant. An hour or two of reading (Here and SOTW AG.) and you'd have a good list. VP has a more American-centered focus that has fewer war/conflict topics than SOTW 4, so their lists could be helpful. 

One thing to consider is what you will do the next year. Will your olders start over with Ancients? If so, you might not want him to do that this year, because by second grade he could easily do SOTW1. 

• Like 1

I think if he's not ready to read that sort of thing, he's not really needing a history program.  I'd just look for books at the library in the picture book history section.  

Or, skip it, and read lots of myths and fairy tales instead.  There are so many great picture books of that type.

If you'd like to try something to get ready for SOTW, you could try some of the stories from 50 Famous Stories Retold.  There aren't many pictures, but they are quite short.

• Like 2

I vote topical picture books because that's what I did last year with my 6 year old when the others were doing SOTW 4.

Especially biographical ones. This is a good series.  My library has most of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Abraham-Lincoln-Janet-Pascal/dp/0448448866/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529680385&sr=8-1&keywords=who+is+abraham+lincoln

I've got a 2nd grader, but she's a girl so we are reading American Girl books to coincide with each time period.  You could also pair it with a quick study of the Presidents.  I do think you could just find a few books at the library.  I've been making a list of what mine has available.   Think main topics, WW1 and 2, depression, civil rights, space race.  

Or just let him skip history!  It really won't matter.  You could add some geography or community helpers instead.

• Like 1

My daughter seems not ready for SOTW. I am seriously considering doing BJU first grade for her. However, if you just let her hang along and do her own thing while you listen to SOTW, that would be fine too. That is what I have done in the past. They might not be able to do every map or have good narrations back, but that is ok. I also do a maps skills book, which I like MCP Maps, Graphs, and Charts the best.

Didn’t Notgrass just come out with American history for younger ones? It looked colorful. 

I’ve been using America’s Story from Master Books this year. But there are 3 of them. We can get through 2 books a year. 

What about just some picture book biographies?

My daughter read biographies for 1st grade and most of 2nd grade. I first read all the David A Adler Picture Book biographies to her. Then she started reading the Level 2/3/4 history related books - some biographies and some about an event. Then she went back and read the David A Adler books herself. Then she started reading the Who Was/Who Is books. And then the Childhood of Famous Americans series. She also read (and re-read) every last Magic Tree House book ever created. I'm content with what she did. She loved it and I think it was plenty. (Towards the end of 2nd grade, she started Veritas Press' self-paced history for Old Testament/Ancient Egypt but she continues to read biographies of whomever/whenever.)

My son will be in 1st grade next year. He's barely past CVC words and Bob books so I'll be reading the picture book biographies to him. I'm also planning to add family genealogy too.

I wouldn't want to start him at a different level than the girls.  I wouldn't worry too much about this year and just focus on next year, when you'll be starting in Ancient times (which is really fun for younger kids). 

Just let him participate where it seems to fit and don't worry too much.

While it's not a broad overview (just random deep dives into various history topics), Extra Credits videos might be something fun you could do with both your older girls and him (we started watching them for fun...not even for school, when my youngest was either in 1st or 2nd, and they all loved them).    There's a chronological list below, and for Volume 4 the episodes you'ld want to watch will start at The Broad Street Pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyjLt_RGEww&list=PLHnQERzIZmXVYIRJyGkVCWWF6USpJYoDK

If you do try to do SOTW with him (whether now or later, at level one), I have some suggestions on how to make it easier for kiddos who struggle with books with no pictures. 

http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/tips-story-of-world-for-short-attention.html

One thing I definately would do is get at least ONE book on the era with lots of pictures (something like the Usborn or Kingfisher history books would be good).   That way, for most chapters, you have something you can open to and show him pictures from while you read from SOTW. 

• 4 weeks later...