Menu

Lost almost all our baby pictures

Barb_

...and my grandmother’s handmade quilts. During our house fire a salvage company showed up and as soon as the first fire was under control they began grabbing photos. I was out of state and called my daughter to have them grab my grandmas hand sewn quilts. Pretty soon the second fire began in the attic so everyone had to leave the house again.

Later we fired them and hired a different company after we learned they’d forged my husband’s name on some documents. They were supposed to have transferred the stuff they gathered to the new company. We got part of it back. Mostly stuff I didn’t care about. 

I’m grieving like someone had died. In a way they have. I’ll never have my babies back and now I don’t even have any physical mementos or resemblances of them, so it feels like a death. I figured if anyone could understand, it would be a board full of mamas.

• Sad 28

My mom gave me all of hers when my basement backed up sewage in 1999. But that is a good thought. I’ll see if the other grandparents have any duplicates or photos they have taken. They aren’t the albums I spent years compling though, you know?

• Sad 1

I’m so sorry. That is terrible. 

Something similar happened to my SIL and she sent out a plea to everyone in the family and to friends. We were able to get her photos of every kid at about every age...it’s definitely not the same thing at all as your own albums but it was something. I would definitely ask your family and close friends. I was surprised how many photos of her kids we had. When she first asked we thought we might have a few and then we went through stuff and found bunches. Same with other family members. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh no, I'm so sorry.  What a thing to add to an already difficult situation.  

I agree with Innisfree.  I'd put out an SOS to relatives and friends who may have some photos with your babies in them.   Any chance you posted things on Facebook? They keep all your old photo/posts.  Also anything old you may have used Shutterfly, Costco, Walmart, etc. photo centers?

• Thanks 1

N

6 minutes ago, umsami said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry.  What a thing to add to an already difficult situation.  

I agree with Innisfree.  I'd put out an SOS to relatives and friends who may have some photos with your babies in them.   Any chance you posted things on Facebook? They keep all your old photo/posts.  Also anything old you may have used Shutterfly, Costco, Walmart, etc. photo centers?

No, these are all pre-digital. 1990-2001.

• Like 1

You know what makes me nuts? I have photos of the quilts and the open boxes with the albums in them. The first company sent pictures with the inventory list before they transferred them to the second company.  Each company is blaming the other. 

I may need an attorney.

One of the quilts my grandma sewed for me in the 80s. It was a Dutch doll style and she used scraps from all the dresses she’d saved from when I was a toddler and preschooler. She sewed all of her quilts by hand and they took her two years to make. They lost four of them. 

• Sad 6

28 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Oh that stinks! We had a hard drive crash when my oldest was 6 months old. We lost all our pictures except the few I had emailed to family. It isn’t quite the same, but I do get it. 

We almost lost the external hard drive with all the digitals too, but it was in the last box I went through, tossed in with a bunch of loose cords and chargers. So it could be worse. 

I’m sorry you can commiserate 

• Like 1

Oh, this is awful.

You know, what I do in circumstances like this is physically go there.  Seriously.  I look for things myself.  I quietly sit around until someone else looks for things, differently than before.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  But I figure they have to be *somewhere*, and maybe you will get lucky.

This is horrible though.  What a grotesque coup de grace.

• Like 1

I am so sorry, this is just heartbreaking. We back up our photo storage with two separate companies after my computer died and it had ALL our pictures. Most were recovered but I spent about a week in constant anxiety until the computer techs successfully recovered them. Sending you hugs.