Menu

1st grade planning thread 2018-19

I haven't seen a 1st grade thread yet. :) 

Math: Singapore 1a/b

Phonics: AAR. She started 1 a few weeks ago, so just wherever we are. Probably finishing 1 and starting 2

Handwriting: Maybe ZB? Or maybe just work on it within copywork? IDK yet. 

Writing: I think I'm going to do some copywork and narration from our read-alouds. 

History: Tagging along with 5th grader on HO middle ages. If she decides she wants her own history or that gets too much for her, then I'll switch her to AiA. Or do nothing. I'm not too fussed about history in 1st. It was a bust for older DD and I fought it for too long and then it just clicked this year in 4th. I'm not going to stress it this time around!

Science: RSO Life. 

Extracurriculars: I have no idea. Her anxiety is so high she won't do anything. I just pulled her from tumbling yesterday because she had missed for over two months in a row by refusing to go. If we get it under control then I'll let her choose whatever interests her. 

Other: Co-op classes which I won't know until August. Thankfully she does really well there and anxiety has not kept her from her classes. 

Version 3.0 

Michael Clay Thompson Island

Torchlight Year 1

Words Their Way (spelling)

Singapore 2B-3B + Intensive Practice

LivingMath Primary Unit 1

Mr. Q Life Science / RSO Life

HO Ancients

Various EvanMoor supplements whenever he needs a break or has a short day. 

Math & Language Arts will be covered daily. Science & History will alternate in 2-week mini units. Our overall schedule will be 4 weeks on / 2 weeks off (we school year-round). 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

Our (updated) plans:

Math: Green/Yellow, Beast Academy level 2 continued, Prodigy, XtraMath

Language Arts: Well-Ordered Language audio cd and informal grammar, Writing With Ease 1/2 (finish 1, start 2), AAS 2

Science: Mystery Science, Junior Ranger program, informal videos and books

History: SOTW audiobooks, books from library, Liberty's Kids

Piano: Hoffman Academy + Mommy assigned music

Geography: EM Beginning Geography

Typing: Typing Club

Reading: Book list of my own creation (to be created)

Religion: Daily reading from Book of Mormon

Math: Singapore 4, CWP 3, BA 2b and 3c, Life of Fred J and K, living books and games

LA: MCT Island, SYS E or maybe try out W&R Fables, Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus, read alouds

Science: kits, Discover and Do, living books, maybe start Quark Chronicles, nature studies like gardening and local preserves

Social Studies: Maps Charts and Graphs D, CHOW audio, SOTW audio, living books, field trips

Arts: MP Music Enrichment, Violin Lesson Book B/C and My First Piano Adventures B/C, maybe Home Art Studio First if we like the Kindergarten one which we'll be trying this semester, MP First Grade art cards, Come Look With Me, living books

Tech: engineering and science kits, code.org, Typing Instructor for Kids, maybe look into Lego Robotics stuff, computer hardware stuff (with DH)

Math:  Math Mammoth 2 with BA 2 thrown in as a supplement

LA:  The Good & The Beautiful Level 2 (may supplement spelling... undecided there)

History:  SOTW 1 Audio with crafts/activities

Science:  Science in the Beginning plus monthly science class at local museum

Handwriting:  A Reason for Handwriting

Bible:  Community Bible Study and possibly CLE Bible 2 on off-weeks (because dd requested it... she loved Bible 1)

Other:  code.org, COAH artist study, Critical Thinking Co Mind Benders, monthly book club

We have been having a very laid-back, easy K year with lots of Legos and trips to the library. He's learned to play chess and to knit. He's very good at memorizing poetry, but morning time has been hard to keep in the schedule and I'm hoping that I can make it work better next year, when everyone is a bit older. My ideas for first grade so far:

phonics: Ordinary Parents Guide, and maybe a bit of Explode the Code

handwriting: Zaner-Bloser

grammar: FLL1

writing: WWE1, but probably not right away, maybe after Christmas

math: SM 1A/1B and lots of logic and 'mathy' games 

tagging along with his brother for these:

history: SOTW4

literature: read-alouds from the WTM recommendations (to go along with SOTW4), plenty of picture/chapter books, and audiobooks 

science: self-designed physics course (he's going to LOVE this!)

He will start CCD through church and I would like to find an art or gymnastics class that will fit in our schedule/budget.

• Like 1

I'll be teaching first grade for the fifth time next year!

Math: Singapore 1A/1B

English: AAS 1, HWT 1, phonics primer, reading practice, copywork

Geography: maybe, if so it will be mom-made, or maybe tag along with 3rd grade brother's history (AO year 1/2)

Science: tag along with 3rd grade brother, probably reading encyclopedias and doing hands on work

Religion: Bible, Catechism, and saint stories

Spanish: tagging along with older siblings

I wrote on the other thread for 1st, but I have finalized some things so I will post here too. Although things may change too.

LA:

Phonics Pathways

Explode the Code 2-5

FLL 1

WWE 1

CtGE 1

Pathway readers for 1st

HWOT 1

Spelling You See finishing level A moving into B

Math:

Miquon Red and Blue

Singapore 1A and 1B

Bible:

VP Gen-Joshua

History:

VP OTAE (diy) 

Science:

Let's Read and Find Out books

Geography:

Maps, Charts, Graphs A

Art Pac 1

R&S music 1

And lots of read alouds planned. Ds loves workbooks so we will see if this provides enough or if I need to add more.

We also will have language class in the afternoon. Soccer in the fall, and swimming in the winter.

I would like to find a way to add some handicrafts, and cooking too. I need something to follow though to do it easily.

Looks like a lot, but we won't be doing everything each day. I only plan to have school take 2.5 to 3 hours (not including our language learning time)

Edited by lulalu
Plans changed

Math: Singapore 1b/2a

Phonics: AAR. finishing 2 and starting 3

Handwriting: HWOT 

Writing: WWE 1

Spelling: AAS 1 and maybe a little Spelling you See Jack and Jill

Grammar: FLL 1

History: TOG year 1 with older sibs

Science: Library books 

Extracurriculars: Tap and Violin

My oldest will be a first grader next year, so this is my first time through! Here is where I am so far:

Math: CLE 1 with a mix of Singapore 1A/1B (I have both, so I'm going to throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks. I'm such a newbie).

Phonics/Spelling: Finish Logic of English Foundations C, likely moving into D.

Penmanship: Pentime Transition (He wants to learn cursive, so we'll see how this goes).

Writing: WWE 1

Literature: MP 1st Grade Enrichment, plus lots of read-alouds from various booklists

History: SOTW 1 

Science: MP 1st Grade Enrichment, plus the Houghton Mifflin First Grade Science Textbook (I found this like-new on amazon dirt cheap. I couldn't find any science that was appealing that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I'm just going to use this text to introduce topics, then flesh it out with books.) 

Art: MP 1st Grade Enrichment Art Cards

PE/Music/Spanish/Social Studies/Computer/Science/Art: He goes to a one-day-per-week homeschool enrichment academy that teaches these things. If I don't get Art/Science etc. done at home, at least he'll be getting it somewhere!   :laugh:

He doesn't do any extracurriculars yet. We're in the process of building a house, so maybe once we get settled we'll look into something. Not sure what. 

Suddenly this looks like a lot! 

ETA: I'm still looking for something for Bible. We do BSF and read a Children's Bible at home. I'm trying to decide if that is enough, or if I need an actual Bible curriculum. I'm guessing it'll probably be enough for first grade.

Edited by happynurse

• 2 weeks later...

Our Plans:

Math: BA 2 C and D and probably 3 A and B with a bit of MM added in if needed for extra practice.

Phonics: AAR Level 3 and possibly beginning 4.  He's working on level 2 right now so I'm not sure of pacing, but suspect he will finish it before the end of the year and even begin level 3.

Handwriting: Continue working with Draw Write Now books and copywork

Writing: I'm unsure here.  This year we are using Here to Help Learning with his older siblings and he has been sitting in.  I may have him start over and do this level again next year.

Spelling: AAS finish up level 2 and level 3

Grammar:  Beowulf's Grammar

History & Science:  We are doing History and Science together as a group through literature units I'm putting together.

Bible:  Classical Press's OT vol 2

Art:  Home Art Studio

Language:  Rosetta Stone German- picking up where he leaves off from this year

Other:  Possibly co-op classes, 4H and he wants to do some sort of robotics classes, so I need to figure that out.

• 2 weeks later...

My plans for DS

Math: Math U See Beta

Handwriting: WWE 1, New American Cursive book 1

Phonics: Finish OPGTR

Spelling: Spelling Workout B

Grammar: FLL 1

Science: Apologia Anatomy (with dd 8)

History: SOTW 1 finish, and most of 2 (with dd 8)

For ds:

Math: Singapore 1B & CWP1 (maybe starting 2A if he gets that far)

Phonics/Reading: Finishing up Reading Reflex & continuing to move through early readers

Writing: HWT 1, journal, & maybe a few writing projects

Literature: Mixture of fun read-alouds & read-alouds to go along with world history (still working on this list)

History: World history with real books (still working on this list)

Science: Biology with real books (still working on this list)

Art: Artistic Pursuits 1

Extra: baseball & swimming

LA- FLL 1, HWT, Spelling Workout. 

History/Social Studies- Ancients, using a combination of things. SOTW will be our spine. Ds enjoys geography, so we will do a hefty amount of map study, games, state memorization. 

Math- Probably Singapore, but I may use Rightstart because I want something more scripted. Logic Safari and some Critical Thinking Company logic books. 

Science- Nancy Larson level 1. We do a ton of science, but I think NL will be our structured science time. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, Expat_Mama_Shelli said:

Michael Clay Thompson Island

Singapore 2B + Intensive Practice

Mr. Q Life Science / RSO Life

HO Ancients / Torchlight Year 1 / LivingMath Unit 1

Various Evan Moor ebook supplements as desired

Math & Language Arts will be covered daily. Science & History will alternate in 2-week mini units. Our overall schedule will be 4 weeks on / 2 weeks off (we school year-round). 

Raise your hand if you’ve changed this at least 1x a month since we began ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, Lisa in the UP of MI said:

I'll be teaching first grade for the fifth time next year!

Math: Singapore 1A/1B

English: AAS 1, HWT 1, phonics primer, reading practice, copywork

Geography: maybe, if so it will be mom-made, or maybe tag along with 3rd grade brother's history (AO year 1/2)

Science: tag along with 3rd grade brother, probably reading encyclopedias and doing hands on work

Religion: Bible, Catechism, and saint stories

Spanish: tagging along with older siblings

Still working on it!  I've made several changes. 

English: AAS 1, HWT 1, OPGTR, WWE 1, FLL 1

Geography and literature: BYL year 0 (with pre-k and 3rd grade brothers)

Science: thinking about using RSO Life (also with his brothers)

Spanish: La Clase Divertida 1 (along with older siblings)

My baby will be a first grader! *sniff*

Math:  MM1 & XtraMath addition practice

Language:  Continue AAR, start AAS, HWT, & copywork from E.B. White or C.S. Lewis

History:  MOH I and part of II with 5th grader, read aloud list to go along with Ancients

Science:  Magic School Bus videos and experiment kits

Fun stuff:  La Clase Divertida and Artistic Pursuits with 5th grader, Pfeiffer House Music, once a week PE class and once a week speech club

I am so excited for first grade next year! But I am not decided on everything yet. 

Math: Singapore Math 1a and b (I am flexible on the levels, but we already started 1a. I am considering adding something else in, such as Miquon)

Science: Mystery Science and also, Apologia Botany and maybe even Apologia Astronomy at the end of the year if we get to it

History: SOTW Ancients

Geography: A Trip Around the World

Language Arts: I am stuck here. I am considering AAR and SWO and WWE. I have OPGTR and FLL (first edition) and Alphaphonics. But I suspect none of that will be a fit for my daughter. I am still thinking. I already have CLEs handwriting and likely won't add to it.

Latin: Song School Latin

I would like to add in art and music and outside activities, so we will see on all that. And maybe French too.

Still uncertain about what DD6 will do (she’s in half day K this year), but if she’s home:

RS B

HWOT, copywork, PLL

AAS 1 + 2

Lots of reading (her choice from our shelves) and read alouds (my choice from our shelves)

SOTW 1

We don’t use curricula for science at this age - lots of experimental play, good books, some magic school bus, and lots of time out of doors in nature

• Like 1

I am sticking mostly with Memoria Press for 1st:

Bible – MP Christian Studies
Handwriting – MP Copybook II; MP New American Cursive I
History – Story of the World vol 2 (listen in car), 
Latin - Song School Latin 1
Math – Math Mammoth 1-2; Kumon mazes 
Memorization -
     Summer - Preamble to Constitution; Nobility by Cary; WSC #1-6
     Harvest - John 14:1-11; 4 Midsummer Quotes; Solitude by Wheeler; WSC #7-13
     Autumn - Psalm 139; The Road Not Taken by Frost; November by Coatsworth; WSC #14-20
     Winter - John 14:12-22; Against Idleness and Mischief by Watts; The Crocodile by Carrol; WSC #21-28
     Lenten - Psalm 105; Obedience to Parents by Watts; Whether the Weather; WSC #29-36
     Spring - John 14:23-31; 5 Twelfth Night Quotes; Pretty Good by Osgood; WSC # 37-40
Reading – MP StoryTime Treasures
Spelling – MP Traditional Spelling I

Reading: Explode the Code 

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears (they're using this in OT, so we'll just carry it through with our lessons)

Math: Horizons finishing K and starting 1st

History: Beautiful Feet Early American History 

Science: The Good and The Beautiful (She chose 3 units: Space Science, Water and Our World, and Meteorology)

Co-op: This is more of a fine arts co-op with music, art, drama, and PE. 

We have speech and OT as well, so we're maxed out on "extracurriculars" right now. Depending, we MIGHT add another PE class that is held in our community just to meet friends near us as our co-op is in another city.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2018 at 10:34 PM, Targhee said:

Still uncertain about what DD6 will do (she’s in half day K this year), but if she’s home:

RS B

HWOT, copywork, PLL

AAS 1 + 2

Lots of reading (her choice from our shelves) and read alouds (my choice from our shelves)

SOTW 1

We don’t use curricula for science at this age - lots of experimental play, good books, some magic school bus, and lots of time out of doors in nature

I post in these threads and it gets me going but I usually, after further contemplation, make big changes.

Singapore PM 1A/B

LOE Foundations B-D, books from our family library she reads to me, copywork, poetry memorization 

Jr Great Books Pegasus, finish vol 1 and move to vol 2 of Journeys Through Bookland, lots of other read alouds from  family and public libraries...

Geography, very gently with resources I already have, no real spine

Singapore Early Bird Science (I never buy science for this age, but this year I’m not goin to be available to do much for science like I usually do ? so this is my backup)

Artistic Pursuits

It depends how quickly she picks up reading in the next two months. If she makes leaps and bounds, then she is going to a fantastic charter school with her sisters! If she's still struggling like she is now, I'll keep her home with her struggling brother and do:

Barton Reading and Spelling

Saxon math 1 or 2, whatever she tests into

Copy work in cursive

Read alouds with oral narration.

Math: Beast Academy 3 and MEP 3 (hoping that doing both will take the whole year or even longer)

Handwriting: ZB cursive, then copywork/dictation

Reading: She's a strong reader. I think I'll let her choose but keep some sort of reading log/reading journal. I'm mulling this over.

We'll probably keep going with First Language Lessons as part of our read aloud time in the morning. Her little brother enjoys being able to join in.

Mystery Science and classes at the zoo, light geography, Logic Countdown, Muzzy French, church choir. Probably should figure out to do some art. Most likely a lot of swimming at the y.  

My oldest did public K but we afterschooled some and I really want to homeschool first grade. I have a bunch of stuff, we’ll see what sticks!

Language Arts:

AAR 3, AAS 3, SUS B, WWE 1, GD italics B, MCT Island, EIW 1, BW Quiver, free reading

Math:

CLE 1, MM blue series, maybe MEP reception

History/Science:

SOTW plus books, bop around WP World Around Me, WP Animals, ES Physics

Art, music, etc TBD but probably 2d art making while listening to music

World languages:

Thinking about Mimic Method for Spanish

She needs to move so afternoons building forts, obstacle courses, digging a hole in the yard and so on..

• 1 month later...

My boys aren’t nearly fitting into grade boxes right now. So I am planning a sort of late K-early 2 kind of year instead of a solid first grade year. 

Math: unsure Math Mammoth

Science: Berean Builders: Science in the Industrial Age (with older siblings)  Sassafrass Zoology

Language Arts: Explode the Code online

History: SOTW 4 (older siblings, this is just where we are in the cycle right now) + Legends and Leagues

Bible: Herein is Love Exodus (with the older kids) + My ABC Bible Verses from the Psalms + Big Thoughts for Little People: ABCs to Help You Grow

Logic: Critical and Creative 2

Edited by NotesFromTheParsonage
Changes to curriculum choices

Yep mine has already changed before getting through the summer. We're dropping Singapore/BA in favor of MM blue/BA with Right Brained Fractions for a focus. And we started Delightful Dictation with Spelling which I've been incorporating manuscript to cursive copywork and super easy Spanish dictation so it's become a real workhorse for us for LA.

Hi,

My name is Becca. I recently joined the WTM community. 

Currently, I am homeschooling my last little person. 
He is six and will be first grade this year. I saw your topic and thought it was a great idea. 

I would love to see what others are doing for their first graders.

It's nice to meet you all!

• Like 5

First Grade year for us ... we already started back in June but as it is: 

Math: Singapore Standards 1A/1B + IP

Language Arts: Logic of English C and maybe D. All the elective readers and readers from the library as we go along.

Health: Horizons Health 1. She loved it in Kindergarten, and wants to be a Pediatrician when she grows up so this helps her feel like she is studying for it. We only do this Mondays and Thursdays.

Geography: DK Geography 1 and then Beginner's Geography after DK is through. 

Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage. 

History: Story of the World Ancients with a blend of Mystery of History when chronologically needed for Biblical history. 

Art: Artistic Pursuits 1

My husband is going to do Bible Studies with the girls so that rounds off the education. So far first grade has been fun, but certainly a bit of step up from Kindergarten. I have to admit I'm impressed by how well she filled in demands, and one of her sisters have moved up to participate in projects with her. 

So school year here in Aus started back in January.  Twins were doing Foundation year ( what we call prep and what I think you call K5) BUT we have made some real progress with the twins and are moving into grade one level (beginning) in some subjects. So I thought I could play along.

these twins have a very complex  global developmental delays plus other issues. we also do Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy, Play Therapy with a psychologist, and intensive swimming lessons for cross brain   Etcetera....

Reading - AAR 1 - half way ?

-Fitzroy readers and workbooks

Extra alphabet reinforcement workbooks - LEM  finished book 1  next week  then moving on to Jolly Phonics Workbook ( one twin seems to have real difficulty recalling alphabet, but he can read short beginner type books)

Abeka phonics  _I am using this book mostly because I need a simple workbook that I can give one twin to do while I listen to the other one read.

Penmanship - workbooks

to aid in handwriting and fine motor skills - Kumon cutting books 

Copywork - Beatrix Potter http://www.homeschoolingdownunder.com/product-category/handwriting-copywork/

Writing - Narration ( pre WWE. I am reading literature and they are telling me  in correct sentence form what to write, I write it down)

- Writeshop. I am writing it down and they are copying. they like the crafty aspect of this program

Saxon Math 1 ( we are 1/4 way through)

Skip counting

History SOTW 2 ( half way through)

Science  Biology  plant botany at the moment  will study animals from different continents soon using lapbooks ( they seem to like crafty things )

Reading Eggs and some Starfall

Audio books 

If anyone thinks there is something that I am missing or something that would be great to add in please feel free to suggest away.?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had to look a while for this thread...

We're "continuing" with 1st grade this year. I decided to keep ds in 1st instead of moving on as he's a summer baby and if I ever have to put him in public school I would rather he be an older student and he is definitely not on par with the other 2nd graders we know. He is free to accelerate in high school, do early enrollment, whatever... nothing is set in stone. 

Math: still working slogging through RS B  and Horizon 1 but seriously want something different, he hates the games in RS and I want something more conceptual than Horizon..., also Mind Benders - which he likes. 

Reading: AAR 1 - just a few lessons away from finishing, looking forward to AAR 2 , Teach Your Monster to Read

Writing: MP Copybook Two and New American Cursive (may switch to Simply Charlotte Mason Cursive... we'll see in a few weeks)

Hx/Geography/Lit: Self designed Continents/Countries study with literature, missionary stories, art & crafts, pretend play tied in

Lit cont: Parables from Nature and Fairy Tales, plus a few other books that didn't fit into the above list. 

Bible: Finish Jesus Storybook Bible for 2nd time, then VOS Story Bible with Bible Timeline, also What's in the Bible Videos

Science: BFSU 1 - planning on making it another 3rd of the way through and finishing next year, also lots of PMK, PBS, and Wild Kratts, plus units on: Babies, Safety - Fire, Personal, Bike, Earthquake

Languages: Swedish, Song School Latin

Other fun stuff: Dot to Dots, Mazes, Memory work (Bible, Poetry, Science), Character Study, listen to Hymns, listen to several children's symphonies, look at art, read lots of poetry out loud, swim with the family 2 nights a week, play outside with friends rain or shine, hiking, some nature study, braiding, sewing by hand, knitting with needles this year, games, puzzles, field trips, maybe even a move overseas! Then I'll have to rethink a whole lot of this ?

Edited by Moncha
  • Like 1

We’re mid year in Aus. Working on Singapore 1B, apples and pears level a, copywork for handwriting and the Sonlight grade 1readers.  We are doing sotw1 with everyone, quark chronicles anatomy and expedition earth geography.  He’s been my most fun to teach,quick to learn,interested and cooperative.  Probably lucky he wasn’t my first or I’d wonder why anyone thinks homeschooling is hard work.  Extra curricular sis Tkd and AFL football which has just finished.

• Like 1

We’re mid year in Aus. Working on Singapore 1B, apples and pears level a, copywork for handwriting and the Sonlight grade 1readers.  We are doing sotw1 with everyone, quark chronicles anatomy and expedition earth geography.  He’s been my most fun to teach,quick to learn,interested and cooperative.  Probably lucky he wasn’t my first or I’d wonder why anyone thinks homeschooling is hard work.  Extra curricular sis Tkd and AFL football which has just finished.