Menu

Vent/JAWM: employers not excusing weather related abscences

TheReader

I’ve see some posters mention things like 4WD and chains on your tires making it easier to drive in winter weather. That’s the thing- when you live in the South, you usually don’t HAVE those things! I don’t know if I could even go out and find any chains to buy... plus, where I live, the rare weather events are almost always very icy. Some snow, and then a nice thick sheet of ice over everything.

• Like 6

I moved from the Midwest to south Texas and brought all of my winter gear with me because I often travel to visit family in the winter where such things are still needed.

There are no plows, no de-icers, no sand trucks. From a financial point of view, it makes sense to simply plan to shut down for 24h when the rare storm comes through. My husband's work commute required taking two multi-story steep bridges (stacked interstates). The bridges are simply shut down. There is no feasible way to get to work, or home, even if you know how to drive on snow and ice so he has a backpack with a sleeping bag and some food in case he is trapped at work.

It's frustrating when management can't exercise flexible thinking, foresight, or thoughtfulness.

Local newspapers in Texas are reporting 140 accidents so far today.

On a related note, people are using frisbees and credit cards as windshield scrapers. They do not own them.

• Like 8

Okay okay, I know this is JAWM, but I don’t think we are ranting about the same weather.

What I don’t get is when I’m driving around in my front wheel drive mommy van without issue for medical appointments and they’re canceling school multiple days in a row, with light snowfall or SUNNY weather and passable roads. What the heck?!

The ice thing I get - ice is a hazard and even chains don’t really help. But that’s not what we are dealing with here. It’s insanity how freaked out everyone is by good winter road conditions. It’s not even dangerously cold. Mind boggling.

The school officials are terrified that something will happen and students will be injured or killed. They always err on the side of caution. I know that we are in the same area and the wind chill was dangerous for this area this morning because people here don't dress appropriately for the sub-zero wind chills.

• Like 5

Okay okay, I know this is JAWM, but I don’t think we are ranting about the same weather.

What I don’t get is when I’m driving around in my front wheel drive mommy van without issue for medical appointments and they’re canceling school multiple days in a row, with light snowfall or SUNNY weather and passable roads. What the heck?!

The ice thing I get - ice is a hazard and even chains don’t really help. But that’s not what we are dealing with here. It’s insanity how freaked out everyone is by good winter road conditions. It’s not even dangerously cold. Mind boggling.

I think this is more common in more populated areas. They have to make the call BEFORE they know what will happen. The logistics of getting kids to school in an area with lots of people, schools, and busses, AND rush hour traffic conditions is a whole different animal. I grew up rurally where they rarely cancelled school and just slapped chains on the busses. They never had to consider that one fender bender could delay thousands of people and shut down multiple roads. Sometimes it’s vlearer than they guessed and you waste a day, but it’s better than the alternatives that taught them caution to begin with.

• Like 4

I grew up in Dayton (Oakwood and Kettering neighborhoods) and went to a prep school School was rarely cancelled for snow. They built in snow days, so if we got a good, deep snow, they did cancel the first day so everyone could enjoy it.

When I was in 3rd grade, during the 70's "energy crisis", the price of oil was so high that the school could not afford to make it through the winter. They cancelled Spring Break (March), extended the year into June by a week or so, and gave us February off. That same winter we had mega snow (for OH). It was 4 ft deep in our front yard and our street had 3 massive snow forts. It was great.

I lived in Cleveland during that 78(?) blizzard. I remember it. I tried to sled down a bush because it looked like a hill and I just fell in it. I was 5 😂

• Like 2

My dh saves 2 or 3 vacation days for any end of the year bad weather. Also, the hotels around his work have a blizzard rate for exceptionally bad storms.

He had to stay at a hotel one night a few years ago. Along with the blizzard rate he got free onion rings and beer. He had a good time :)

ETA:I'm not saying those in the south should do this if you rarely get this weather.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

The school officials are terrified that something will happen and students will be injured or killed. They always err on the side of caution. I know that we are in the same area and the wind chill was dangerous for this area this morning because people here don't dress appropriately for the sub-zero wind chills.

A few years ago, they did NOT err on the side of caution in Atlanta. As a result, buses got stuck and some kids were stuck in them overnight. Many had to spend the night in schools. Since then, though, I have noticed that schools are much more cautious when it comes to inclement weather.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone for the stories and the other TX folks chiming in with the realities of what it's like here. 

DH did make it home, and I found out yes, his car doors had been frozen shut and he had to thaw them to get them open, but also that he & his boss were the last to leave, they had sent everyone else home an hour prior and they all made it home safe, too. 

(now, why on earth they all had to go in for 1 to 2 hours of work.....and hopefully tomorrow they'll get to go in late, after the ice is gone.....)

On a hilarious note, and also to further explain how odd this is for our area --- the local stations have been preempting pretty much all programming in favor of non-stop news coverage of this event, and all the highways in town are now closed (all the overpasses, but all our highways are basically stacked up bridges, so it's pretty much all of them), and they are of course attempting to de-ice what they can but there's more precipitation expected later on I think and no above freezing temps until tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 4

Just checking to see if Heather’s dh made it home safely.

I hope so!!!

Thanks, Cat! I was posting at the same time. Yes, he's home, and all his employees made it home safely too. 

His car door was frozen shut when he tried to leave, though, so he had to thaw it out/break away the ice.....fun times. 

• Like 3

while weather requires the right infrastructure - it also requires the right "terrain".

I'm in an area with bridges/overpasses - and lots and lots of hills.  some very steep.   I live on one where the only way out is up, and I have watched four wheel drives not get up the hill.

there are conditions it honestly doesn't matter how many sanding trucks there are.   maybe if there were enough plows, but that is a lot of plows to handle it before it freezes - plows won't scrape up ice.

ice is far worse, and potentially more dangerous, than "just" snow.

it sounds like that's what you are being threatened with - is ice.

You are so right. Terrain and typical weather dictate a lot. The northern prairies are very flat and wide open, which makes winter driving a little easier.  Norway and Switzerland has lots of snow, narrow windy roads and crazy hills. Houses are perched up on the sides of fjords and mountains. They throw studded tires on their tiny cars in the winter and carry on with life. 

Mind you, Norway's driving tests include having to pass the winter driving component. Learning how to drive in the winter is a skill more people should learn.

• Like 2

I think this is more common in more populated areas. They have to make the call BEFORE they know what will happen. The logistics of getting kids to school in an area with lots of people, schools, and busses, AND rush hour traffic conditions is a whole different animal. I grew up rurally where they rarely cancelled school and just slapped chains on the busses. They never had to consider that one fender bender could delay thousands of people and shut down multiple roads. Sometimes it’s vlearer than they guessed and you waste a day, but it’s better than the alternatives that taught them caution to begin with.

Yeah, I remember the day in High School that they called a snow day AFTER the bus delivered me to school.   

---------------------------------------------

There are actually two problems discussed in this thread, which are related but not really the same thing.   

1. Bosses/managers pressuring people to go to work when there is snow/ice on the roads.
  2. Taking a vacation day when people do.  

Well, 836+ reported incidents of ice on roadways still, so DH made the call (having not heard from the bosses above him who actually are able to authorize this....) for no one to go in this morning and he will reassess the situation at 10 a.m. 

The road they all have to travel to get to work is closed due to ice right now, so that made it easy at least. Temps are in the teens, wind chill in single digits, and we won't be above freezing until 12 or 1 p.m. so.....

Watching the news this morning, at 7 they had *just* cleared/deiced one of the main highways, which had people backed up for miles, some sitting there since 10 p.m. last night. 

• Like 3

Well, 836+ reported incidents of ice on roadways still, so DH made the call (having not heard from the bosses above him who actually are able to authorize this....) for no one to go in this morning and he will reassess the situation at 10 a.m. 

The road they all have to travel to get to work is closed due to ice right now, so that made it easy at least. Temps are in the teens, wind chill in single digits, and we won't be above freezing until 12 or 1 p.m. so.....

Watching the news this morning, at 7 they had *just* cleared/deiced one of the main highways, which had people backed up for miles, some sitting there since 10 p.m. last night. 

I'm in Austin and the schools ran/people went in to work today. My husband said the roads were very clear, no ice on his way into North Austin. The kids were all bundled up and I doubt they go outside to recess today.

I'm in Austin and the schools ran/people went in to work today. My husband said the roads were very clear, no ice on his way into North Austin. The kids were all bundled up and I doubt they go outside to recess today.

I’m in Austin too. My grandkids’ school is on a 2 hour delay, but spouse went to work at regular time. I think staggering the traffic helped a lot. They are settled in and working before others are getting onto the roads.

It’s terribly cold though. I have to get out later today and I’m already depressed at the thought. I wear my jeans “Texas Tight,†so there is no way to get any extra layers under them. I do have a pair of fleece lined leggings. Maybe I’ll wear those instead.

• Like 1

I’m in Austin too. My grandkids’ school is on a 2 hour delay, but spouse went to work at regular time. I think staggering the traffic helped a lot. They are settled in and working before others are getting onto the roads.

It’s terribly cold though. I have to get out later today and I’m already depressed at the thought. I wear my jeans “Texas Tight,†so there is no way to get any extra layers under them. I do have a pair of fleece lined leggings. Maybe I’ll wear those instead.

Or two pairs of pants.  

Yeah, I remember the day in High School that they called a snow day AFTER the bus delivered me to school.   

---------------------------------------------

There are actually two problems discussed in this thread, which are related but not really the same thing.   

1. Bosses/managers pressuring people to go to work when there is snow/ice on the roads.
  2. Taking a vacation day when people do.  

Bosses/managers don't always have the ability to let people have the day off and not have it count for vacation. Dh works for a federal contractor. Their contract explicitly states that if any employee is not at work (either on-site or doing a full day of telecommuting), they must use PTO (personal time off, as sick leave and vacation are combined into pto). The ONLY exception is if the governor has declared a state of emergency. So even if they close the center due to weather, you must take pto UNLESS you telecommute that day. My dh has plenty he can do from home, so he telecommutes on those days. And conducts meetings any meetings that were already scheduled via Skype. He would get fired or sanctioned if he allowed an employee to stay home & not take pto but also not telecommute. 

Ah. I hate tight pants so both me and my daughter found two pairs of pants to wear together (The first pair she tried to wear did not fit -- but they were size 4 and she's almost a size 6 so they should have been in Goodwill anywyay)

Freezing rain isn't just an issue in the South.  Most things close here when we get that kind of weather too.  Now - we will get black ice on roads without things being closed, but any amount of freezing rain is dangerous.  And it also tends to affect things like power lines so that is also a problem.

People know to be stocked up on necessities and just hunker down.

• Like 4

We are having second day of closures here and DH was really unsure if he was able/expected to make his flight to Dayton, OH today (hi ArticMom).  He finally got word he is suppose to try and so he set off for the airport a little while ago.  I had his take my Subaru Outback with AWD and yes I am in the south and live on a steep incline and so yes, an AWD, and if not, snow tires like I still have in my garage since they don't fit any current car though maybe my middle dd's new car- I have to check.  And he made it to the airport okay. 

• Like 1

That’s insane! I think your husband made the right call. Be safe and warm!

Thanks; the road to the south of us is being reported as open again, but the road to the north of us still shows closed, so dh is planning to have everyone stay home until after lunch. (half his employees are north of us; work is south of us)

Our area hasn't had temps this low in 22 years, and even then, that was w/o the freezing rain & ice. 

Neighbors are all helping out with things like baby formula for those who ran out unexpectedly, reports on roadways from those that don't have an option to stay in, and the routes they had to take, etc. We're hunkered in/staying put. 

Bosses/managers don't always have the ability to let people have the day off and not have it count for vacation. Dh works for a federal contractor. Their contract explicitly states that if any employee is not at work (either on-site or doing a full day of telecommuting), they must use PTO (personal time off, as sick leave and vacation are combined into pto). The ONLY exception is if the governor has declared a state of emergency. So even if they close the center due to weather, you must take pto UNLESS you telecommute that day. My dh has plenty he can do from home, so he telecommutes on those days. And conducts meetings any meetings that were already scheduled via Skype. He would get fired or sanctioned if he allowed an employee to stay home & not take pto but also not telecommute. 

Yes to this. 

DH isn't technically authorized to be the decision maker on this, but when he didn't hear back from his boss he went ahead with making the call. If the road wasn't literally closed due to the ice, he'd never have been able to do so, though, w/o approval from higher up. 

I will say his company is pretty good at adjusting, at least, so even though yesterday started off as "do what feels safe (but the boss is here, so interpret as you will....)" when the roads started icing up earlier than expected, the boss sent everyone home (one girl had to detour, but everyone else was still ice-free at that point, I think). In their case it's just more an issue of no one willing to make the hard call until the last minute, so morning of, the texts are flying back & forth about what to do. 

• Like 1

Yes to this. 

DH isn't technically authorized to be the decision maker on this, but when he didn't hear back from his boss he went ahead with making the call. If the road wasn't literally closed due to the ice, he'd never have been able to do so, though, w/o approval from higher up. 

I will say his company is pretty good at adjusting, at least, so even though yesterday started off as "do what feels safe (but the boss is here, so interpret as you will....)" when the roads started icing up earlier than expected, the boss sent everyone home (one girl had to detour, but everyone else was still ice-free at that point, I think). In their case it's just more an issue of no one willing to make the hard call until the last minute, so morning of, the texts are flying back & forth about what to do. 

DH can tell people that they can leave if they want, before official announcements. However, if they don't want to take pto, they must telecommute when they get home. Dh has no control over that, due to contractual stipulations between most of the companies and the federal govt at this particular location.

I’m glad he made it safely! It’s cold and clear here today, after having snowed lightly this morning. Main roads are dry and easy to traverse, though a few side roads and hills are dodgy and icy. He should be in good shape once he arrives in terms of weather, it’s not supposed to get melty and gross until the weekend.

Yes, thanks for the weather update and traffic update.

Yes to this. 

Yes, this is a common occurrence around here. All bus cancellations are announced early in the morning day-of, so families listen in to the radio or check the website.

Apparently, there are now on-line "betting" pages among students whether they think the buses will be cancelled the next day or not. For us locally, cancelled buses doesn't mean schools are closed. They are technically open, but teachers aren't allowed to introduce new material or have tests. Many students stay at home because it's like a giant daycare at school. This is how our schools get in their regulation number of days for the year. Otherwise the bus cancellations would mess up the school years every single year. 

Administrative offices are closed today and have a delayed opening for tomorrow, so they have rescheduled my job interview for next week. I am so glad. There is easily two inches on the ground right now and they revised the estimate upwards to "up to six inches."  It is still snowing and is supposed to snow for several more hours. I'm just glad I get to stay inside my warm house and off the roads! 

• Like 3

Out school districts stated policy for cold is that they will call it at -12F ... One of our schools is much more rural than the others and they are sometimes the driving force in a snow day - the school buses can't get there and the whole district is closed. But sometimes the nearby bases are on essential personnel only delays and the schools aren't.. it's fairly unpredictable but the rule is - if you call your child in for weather or dangerous conditions that is excused.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:iagree:

Same here. Our campus got closed (for the first day of classes!) because it is cold. It is absolutely ridiculous.

I get ice. If there is ice, one cannot drive. Physics makes that impossible. People need to just stay home.

But zero degrees? Yes, I get that Californians would not own coats, but this is a state that sees these temperatures every winter. 

Diesel fuel thickens when it gets too cold and buses can't be used.  That is the primary reason our area calls school due to cold.

Diesel fuel thickens when it gets too cold and buses can't be used.  That is the primary reason our area calls school due to cold.

I wonder, along this same vein, if part of the reason is because our modern heating systems, etc. can't keep up with extreme temperatures, and we as a society don't know how to deal with this.

For instance, heat pumps (prevalent in the south) can't keep up when temperatures drop below freezing, so most places also have a furnace for "emergency heat." My parents have a house that's over 100 years old. Their house can handle the heat of Georgia summers even without air conditioning. It gets hot, yes, but you won't die of heat stroke in it. Many newer houses, though, become literal death traps without working A/C. 

I know. That's the other direction, but it still makes me wonder. 

In this vein, I wonder if one reason why things get cancelled in extreme weather is because our modern heating and cooling systems can't keep up with the extremes.

My parents have a 100 year old house. That house has a wood stove which is able to keep the room it's in warm no matter how cold it gets outside. That room will stay warmer than my newer house, which has a heat pump and "emergency heat" furnace. 

The opposite is true, too. My parents house is bearable without A/C even in Georgia summers while a many modern houses become death traps.