Menu

College Emergency Kits...what would you add?

Aura

I'm making small college/school emergency kits for my older kids for stocking stuffers. The pouches I bought are only 9 x 4.5 in. The idea is that they're small enough to keep in a backpack or glove compartment.

So far, I'm putting in the standard first aid stuff: bandaids, single-serve homemade first aid salve packets, ibuprofen and allergy medicine.

I'm also planning on including peppermints and honey sticks.

I'm going to make a laminated card with simple instructions and tips, in case they don't remember how much or what to take for what.

I could add in cough drops, but both the peppermints and honey sticks could be used for coughs.  I don't see a reason to add acetaminophen when I've already got ibuprofen. Maybe regular 12-hr Mucinex? That's what I give to big kids who get stuffy noses and/or sore throats.

Any other ideas? Ds is going away for college. Dd will be living at home and commuting. I'm also giving one to her boyfriend who will be commuting from his home as well.

• Like 1

My college kids usually needed some cold medicine during the winter and appreciated Emergen-C and tea bags so they could make tea to soothe a sore throat.  Ours also used the Hall's honey lemon cough drops. Yes, the peppermint and honey sticks work but they are more obvious during a lecture than sucking on a lozenge. 

• Like 3

We use Throat Coat pretty liberally when we get a cold or other respiratory illness.  

These are things I could use in an emergency (that is, sick or in some sort of pickle, away from home, broke, not sure how to navigate the next day or two):

$20

single dose of caffeine (bag of black tea, maybe an instant coffee packet, etc.)

ibuprofen

nyquil/dayquil

cough drops

menstrual pads

several quarters

a protein item with some calories - in NZ they have these great things called One Square Meals, but you could probably do a Clif bar or similar

a dose of whatever allergy med works for your kids - this would be esp. helpful if an allergic reaction came on suddenly

• Like 3

Good thoughts!

I'm concerned that a protein bar would get smashed. I was thinking the honey sticks could be a good pick-me-up, but is it very likely that they'd break open? I was afraid I'd need to include some mini scissors or something cause they'd be too difficult to just break open.

Menstrual pad is a good idea. I had already planned on it, just forgot to add it to the list.

The discreetness factor is something I didn't consider about peppermints/honey sticks vs. cough drops. I may add those in.

Emergen-C is definitely going in! I use that a lot. We tend to add the raspberry flavor to orange juice or Sprite. We do that a few days to a week heading up to trips.

Money is a good idea. Not sure if I'll put that in it for their stockings, but maybe hand it to them later and stress to hold on to it for emergencies. 

They all have phones that double as flash lights, so not sure that I'd want to take up the space for another one.

Tissues. Yes. Definitely need to add that in.

Pens. Those things do have a nasty habit of disappearing, don't they!

I'm going to make a laminated card with simple instructions and tips, in case they don't remember how much or what to take for what.

That is a great idea.  No one in my family can ever remember how much to take of what.  I should probably do this; also, I love an excuse to laminate something.

I keep something similar in my car, and in addition to Advil, the most-used items are real Sudafed, Benadryl tablets (I always have this--I've helped postpone an anaphylactic reaction with Benadryl, long enough for the mom to get to to urgent care), Benadryl cream, antibiotic cream (one of mine is super skin-sensitive), Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, maybe Tums (I think?  no one ever uses these, so I'm not sure they're in there any more), a small pair of sharp embroidery scissors (these get used ALL the time) and a pair of tweezers (probably not necessary if yours aren't prone to splinters, but when you need tweezers, nothing else will do).  I also keep sunscreen and mosquito repellant in my car at all times, so maybe some of those in wipe form would fit in a pouch.  

I might also photocopy the medical insurance card.

• Like 4

My college kids usually needed some cold medicine during the winter and appreciated Emergen-C and tea bags so they could make tea to soothe a sore throat.  Ours also used the Hall's honey lemon cough drops. Yes, the peppermint and honey sticks work but they are more obvious during a lecture than sucking on a lozenge. 

I was going to say the exact same thing. I've never liked cough drops much and have tried lots of different kinds trying to find something that tasted decent and worked at all. DH bought the Hall's honey lemon drops when we were all sick a few weeks ago, and WOW, were they helpful! I also agree that the honey stick might break--probably not right away, but over time, as the bag gets bounced around and squashed a few times, goes through temperature fluctuations, etc. I could totally see that happening. 

• Like 2

energy bars

flashlight

blanket, extra gloves, gallon of water, and jumper cables (In trunk of car) (Gloves are important. You don't want to be stranded in cold weather and have no gloves in the car)

seat belt cutter/window breaker

prescription meds/cold meds

jumper cables

always take water (or keep a gallon in the trunk)

know how to change a flat/jump battery, etc .

These are the things I think of when I hear Emergency Kit.

Paper maps are a big one. In a real emergency, GPS can be a pain for finding alternate routes.

• Like 1

I would still include the acetaminophen.  Ibuprofen is hard on the stomach so my family takes acetaminophen if we need pain reliever/fever reducer on an empty stomach or are having stomach issues.  

Generic acetaminophen is super cheap, too.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

I didn't see hand warmers listed. I don't know your location but in a cold climate, I would include some of those.

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-count-pack-warmers/dp/B00PGBN11S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513182612&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+warmers

Maybe a tiny travel toothbrush. When I was a young adult, I would sometimes end up on unexpected sleepovers. No, not THAT kind, though of course many young adults are in relationships. Just, life was full of more unexpected events and transportation issues, etc. Once I spent the night in an airport, for example. Anyway, what you really, really need at a minimum is a toothbrush. You can even get by without toothpaste.

• Like 4

Y'all are great! Love these ideas.

I do a car emergency kit already. So this is in addition to that, specifically to carry in their book bag (or, if they don't want to, to put in the glove compartment for easy access or desk drawer or something). 

For this kit, I'm trying to KISS. Things that can pull double duty are good. Simple to find, simple to use, simple to store. Everything has to fit in a 9 x 4 1/2" vinyl zippered pouch.

For instance, while I have instant ice packs in my tackle box kit I keep in my vehicle, they would be too bulky for these kits.

I will put Zyrtec in and not Benadryl because (1) Zyrtec is an antihistamine and will work for less severe allergic reactions, even though it's not as effective as Benadryl (IMO). (2) Benadryl will make them drowsy, and they don't need that. They will need to be able to function. (3) They typically use Zyrtec when allergies do act up (inevitable in Georgia), and (4) there are clinics at both campuses if they need something more or have a severe reaction (in addition to 911).

I use ibuprofen because that works for my crew. I wouldn't need to include acetaminophen for them because no one has issues with ibuprofen, but I could see where someone else might want it instead or in addition to.

I have an herbal first aid salve that will work for everything skin related (except burns). It covers pain relief, itching, swelling, rashes, bruising, bites, stings...again pretty much anything, so unless they get a burn, they're covered. I should get burn cream. I need to replenish my stock on that anyway. 

We're in GA. I have bought hand-warmers before for emergency kits. We never used them. That could go in a car kit, though. 

Updated list:

first aid salve (single serve packets)

burn cream (single serve packets) 

bandaids

ibuprofen

Zyrtec

Emergen-C packets

tissues

honey sticks (maybe not--but I've already bought them. And they'll be safer in the vinyl pouch than stuck in a pocket of their backpack, which is what they'd likely do instead.)

cough drops

peppermints

menstrual pad (for dd)

laminated card w/ important info

copy of insurance card (excellent idea!)

Hmmm...not sure if I will be able to fit much more in there!

• Like 2

Immodium. When you need it, you need it, iykwim.  It's not like you can wait a couple of hours to arrange transportation to get to a store to buy some.

Wouldn't Pepto tablets work? Maybe not quite as well as specifically for diarrhea, but more to keep on hand just in case?

I rarely use digestive medicines (other than for heartburn for myself). I have Dramamine in the vehicles for extreme cases of motion sickness, but I mostly use peppermints for that.

I have kept Pepto tablets on hand, just in case, but I usually end up throwing them out because they've expired. Pretty much same for Immodium.

Wouldn't Pepto tablets work? Maybe not quite as well as specifically for diarrhea, but more to keep on hand just in case?

I rarely use digestive medicines (other than for heartburn for myself). I have Dramamine in the vehicles for extreme cases of motion sickness, but I mostly use peppermints for that.

I have kept Pepto tablets on hand, just in case, but I usually end up throwing them out because they've expired. Pretty much same for Immodium.

pepto is stomach.  Imodium is diarrhea - which is all further down the gi.

also - NUUN. . . they're electrolyte tablets you add to water.  so, if vomiting/diarrhea, time for replacing electrolytes.  better than gatorade, and handier than coconut water.

• Like 4

But Pepto specifically says antidiarrheal.  :confused1:  Not trying to argue. Just trying to figure this one out. I really almost never use stomach meds.

I realize that Immodium would probably be a better choice to treat specifically diarrhea, but considering that I have limited space to work with, wouldn't Pepto be okay to keep on hand to treat digestive issues in general (at least until something more can be had)?

I don't know about stocking stuffers, but if you're packing a student emergency kit I would also think about including:

• a include needle and thread in 5 common colors,
  • spare buttons,
  • safety pins in a variety of colors
  • tiny scissors,
  • nail clippers,
  • clear nail polish (even for men- it stops things from unraveling),
  • a roll of quarters (unless their laundry machines are digital),
  • a pack of condoms with spermicide (even if you're certain your kids won't have sex, their roommates might, and if they're going to make that decision they should be responsible about it),
  • the morning after pill for when the condoms break,
  • takeout menus for their area printed off the internet with a $20 bill or gift card attached to each
  • a poncho
  • 3 ways to start a fire (lighter, matches, etc)
  • a water bottle or 12
  • nonperishible food that doesn't require preparation like energy bars or those tv dinners that store at room temperature
  • a duffle bag with a spare change of clothes for the car
  • a fire extinguisher
  • Like 1

I don't know about stocking stuffers, but if you're packing a student emergency kit I would also think about including:

• a include needle and thread in 5 common colors,
  • spare buttons,
  • safety pins in a variety of colors
  • tiny scissors,
  • nail clippers,
  • clear nail polish (even for men- it stops things from unraveling),
  • a roll of quarters (unless their laundry machines are digital),
  • a pack of condoms with spermicide (even if you're certain your kids won't have sex, their roommates might, and if they're going to make that decision they should be responsible about it),
  • the morning after pill for when the condoms break,
  • takeout menus for their area printed off the internet with a $20 bill or gift card attached to each
  • a poncho
  • 3 ways to start a fire (lighter, matches, etc)
  • a water bottle or 12
  • nonperishible food that doesn't require preparation like energy bars or those tv dinners that store at room temperature
  • a duffle bag with a spare change of clothes for the car
  • a fire extinguisher

Wow. Lots of good ideas. 

But Pepto specifically says antidiarrheal.  :confused1:  Not trying to argue. Just trying to figure this one out. I really almost never use stomach meds.

I realize that Immodium would probably be a better choice to treat specifically diarrhea, but considering that I have limited space to work with, wouldn't Pepto be okay to keep on hand to treat digestive issues in general (at least until something more can be had)?

I have used Pepto for diarrhea and an upset stomach, never thought about Immodium. Works great and the tablets are so easy to keep handy. 

• Like 1

Pepto is not good for diarrhea. At all. It's not good for much IMO.

• Like 2

I would still include the acetaminophen. Ibuprofen is hard on the stomach so my family takes acetaminophen if we need pain reliever/fever reducer on an empty stomach or are having stomach issues.

Generic acetaminophen is super cheap, too.

I’d include acetaminophen because it can be taken in alternating doses with ibuprofen. If a kid is sick or worse, hurt, enough to need the alternate dosing, he/she isn’t going to want to go to the store. Being able to alternate the two might help them avoid narcotics if they get hurt badly or something.

• Like 1

So these are great ideas! And definitely a lot to consider. And lots of ides for others to make different emergency kits for whoever might be reading this now or in the future.

For my use, out of teens I'm giving them to, only one is NOT commuting from home. Most of them will be living at home (with Dr. Mom), and the little kit is just for them to use while they're running around to/from classes and out with friends.

The one that is not still living at home will be on a small campus with an easily accessible clinic open 24 hrs and a convenience store in his dorm building. Everything he should need should be available on campus.

In my experience, Pepto tablets ends up as pink powder when stored in bags. I'd only include them if you can put them in a hard case of some sort, and would probably choose immodium instead.

I’d include acetaminophen because it can be taken in alternating doses with ibuprofen. If a kid is sick or worse, hurt, enough to need the alternate dosing, he/she isn’t going to want to go to the store. Being able to alternate the two might help them avoid narcotics if they get hurt badly or something.

I'm all in favor of this strategy, but I would be a bit hesitant about encouraging that for a young adult living alone for the first time, because something causing that much pain probably warrants medical attention, not self-treatment. 

I'd probably include both acetaminophen and ibuprofen because it's quite likely the first aid kit will end up being used on someone else. 

• Like 2

I'm all in favor of this strategy, but I would be a bit hesitant about encouraging that for a young adult living alone for the first time, because something causing that much pain probably warrants medical attention, not self-treatment.

I'd probably include both acetaminophen and ibuprofen because it's quite likely the first aid kit will end up being used on someone else.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Medical professionals often recommend alternating the test medications. Having them on hand can save a pharmacy stop.

• Like 2

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Medical professionals often recommend alternating the test medications. Having them on hand can save a pharmacy stop.

Yes. But we're talking first-aid kit that you carry in a backpack. I wouldn't consider alternating the two, or taking both at once, for a pain that would otherwise necessitate narcotics, to be *first aid*. You don't want to just cover up serious pain and go about your daily business (says the person who has more than once broken bones and done exactly that).

For an identified source of pain, it's absolutely a good tactic.

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 2

In my experience, Pepto tablets ends up as pink powder when stored in bags. I'd only include them if you can put them in a hard case of some sort, and would probably choose immodium instead.

Oh, I was picturing someone recovering from surgery and hurting, not someone who would just take a lot of drugs and try to carry on, LOL.  I just had my wisdom teeth out recently, and being able to alternate acetaminophen and ibuprofen meant that I didn't need the narcotics they gave me.  Most likely a college student wouldn't opt for wisdom tooth surgery during the semester, but a broken bone maybe.  I know a guy who broke an ankle at college and needed surgery, but he was far from home, and the parents weren't able to get there, so he was relying on his roommate for help.  But I may underestimate how responsible college students are; *I* wouldn't have self-treated, but probably some would.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

My kid was the one who always had something someone else needed in his dorm.  And Pepto(bottle)was sought after often. LOL

Hand warmers-His school is in a cold climate

Duck Tape-really

He got most of the things recommended on this thread.  EmergenC is a favorite.  I give it to him before the year starts and in his stocking.:)

• Like 1

But I may underestimate how responsible college students are; *I* wouldn't have self-treated, but probably some would.

It's not necessarily about "responsible". Sometimes these situations come up because the person is trying to be responsible and tough it out to go to class/work/save money/not waste time or resources. Sometimes it's differences in pain tolerance, and thinking that something actually serious would hurt worse than this (I've had three broken bones. Only one of them I'd consider severely painful). Being able to manage the pain with OTC pain meds can contribute to underestimating the severity in both of these - even if the OTCs are being used in a way that approximate the effects of minor narcotics.

I definitely recommend this tactic when the source of pain and severity of the cause are known and understood. Just not as first aid.

• Like 2

When I was in college, the RA friend of mine would often need to give out Gas-X or similar medicine to kids who thought they were dying. Some insisted on being taken to the emergency room. I'm old.

Maybe this doesn't happen anymore, but I'd add something  for gas for my kids.

I'd also add Sambucol syrup for flu. 

• Like 1