Menu

Clothes- for yourself and your kids

4Kiddos

I was talking with someone earlier this week and was curious if what she said is generally true or not. Maybe I'm crazy! Anyway, I have seen thread here talking about groceries so I was curious how much you all allow in your budget for clothes for your family and for you. So, I have two questions:

1. Do you consider yourself fashionable or care about fashion? How much do you allow maybe per year for clothes, shoes, and accessories for yourself? Do you consider beauty products as part of your clothes budget?

2. How much do you budget for your kids?

3. How much is budgeted for your husband?

I would appreciate your help.

Edited by 4Kiddos

Not a fashionista at all. I tend to buy a lot of black since it can be dressed up. We don't budget for clothes but I'm going to guess I spend around $500/yr on updating. A few new shirts or sweaters each season, maybe 2 new pair of jeans, 2 or 3 new pair of shoes and 1-2 new pajamas every season as those tend to wear out quickly. I do love fashion jewelry so spend maybe $150 on earrings and necklaces/yr. A fun necklace or dangly earrings can easily dress up my black clothes.  I wished I could be more stylish, but don't have the time to shop so my purchases are usually last minute/impulse buys. I'm also fairly thrifty and can't bring myself to pay for one of those clothing boxes that get delivered, as much as I would enjoy/need that service. My clothes usually last for years. I spend nearly that much or more on hair and makeup per year. 

The kids tend to get new clothes every season and wear them until too small or worn out. Their wardrobe is 90% Nike and Under Armor because they hold up so well and look nearly brand new even when they've outgrown them. The dry fit material is fabulous, never wrinkles and rarely stains. I spend way more on the kids clothes and shoes than my own.

I don't budget for DH wardrobe either. He's on his own for the most part. Usually I get him a ton of clothes at Christmas and he wears that all year long. He cares nothing about fashion, though I wish he did because he struggles to find something decent to wear when we go out. 

I have a friend that starts fresh every single season for her son; get rid of it all and start over again. She is the only person I know that does that. 

I’m not fashionable but I don’t think I dress frumpy or out of style either. I buy nicer clothes that tend to last. If I need something, I just buy it. Usually when seasons change I’ll get a new dress or blouse or two, this winter I replaced my 15 year old wool coat. My biggest expense is shoes, I buy a couple pair of good running shoes a year. This past year it was at least 3 pairs, plus hiking boots. Fortunately I haven’t needed dress shoes in awhile. I don’t consider beauty products as part of the clothing budget.

Again I have no idea what I spend on the kids per year because we budget based on what is needed. So shoes a couple times a year, coats once a year (usually not for all the kids because some are passed down), and then a big shopping trip a couple times a year.

My husband is a big guy and needs tall sizes, a dress shirt, which he wears everyday for work is $70, his pants are around the same unless he just happens to find some on clearance at Dillard’s. There are only a few places he can reliably find clothes. We definitely end up spending the most on his wardrobe.

Anyway, we spend approximately $1500-$2000 per year on clothing and shoes for our family of 5. My kids are starting to outgrow the kid sizes so I imagine it will start getting more expensive when I can’t count on $7.99 jeans from Children’s Place anymore.

I was talking with someone earlier this week and was curious if what she said is generally true or not. Maybe I'm crazy! Anyway, I have seen thread here talking about groceries so I was curious how much you all allow in your budget for clothes for your family and for you. So, I have two questions:

1. Do you consider yourself fashionable or care about fashion? How much do you allow maybe per year for clothes, shoes, and accessories for yourself? Do you consider beauty products as part of your clothes budget?

1. Nope!  I like basics, even when dressing up for church.  And I don't buy beauty products at all, but if I didn't, they wouldn't be considered part of the clothing budget.  Belts are included in the clothing category, though.  But not purses.  Nor jewelry.  Neither of which I buy anyway.

2. I don't budget so much as have a quota, and once it's filled, that's it.  I may buy the next size up, though, if I find a really good deal.  And I try to shop sales, unless something never goes on sale--3 of us wear Carhartt jeans.  Those are always $35.  Two of us only have 2 pairs each, and they are very durable.  I prefer to pay less than $10 for any other item of clothing.  Shoes are the exception; we buy good shoes a size or two up for the kids, and keep a minimum amount of pairs.  About $50/pair is the average; I give up on pairs only when they have irreparable holes in them, though.  I probably have the fewest clothes out of everyone, DH has the most.  For all five of us, this year so far we've spent $1,600.  One year we spent $2,500.  Drives me bonkers, but it could be a lot worse, I think.  All new, no secondhand; DH banned secondhand clothes several years ago.  HTH!

Edited by CES2005

Dh and me look terrible. Like we spend like next to nothing in clothing. I really only shop at the goodwill. Dh would, but they never have anything for men much at our goodwill besides dress clothes which he never wears. I buy a lot of my kids clothes at the goodwill and other consignment and thrift stores. We will buy stuff a couple times a month and I buy some of their clothes at carters, old navy, target and walmart. I can't resist cute kids clothes. My mom also buys a lot of stuff and I get hand me downs all the time. So my kids look pretty good. We don't have a budget really. Basically I never NEED to buy things from old navy and carters. We have enough used stuff we paid next to nothing for, but it's just something I do from time to time because it's what I like to spend money on.

• Like 1

1. I don't care about fashion at all.  I aim for cutely presentable.  Jeans that fit well (not "mom jeans") and classic, mostly solid-colored tops and sweaters.  Everything is washable, durable and in good condition.  My clothes lead a hard life (cooking, arts and crafts, household chores, child care, yard work, home repairs, nature walks, etc), so I refuse to spend more than a couple bucks on any item.  My clothes inevitably will get stained and/or torn, so I buy cheap, do my best to treat stains and repair tears, but discard them without remorse when they are no longer presentable.

I buy almost all of my clothes at the Goodwill.  Around here, I can find top of the line brands in very good used condition for unbeatable prices.  Almost all adult clothing is $3.29 an item.  Over the course of a year, I probably buy myself about a dozen tops and a dozen bottoms, so probably about $75 or so.  I tend to go through about one pair of fairly cheap sneakers a year, so that would bring my total up to about $100.  Plus replacing my sandals and snow boots every few years...so probably averaging out to $125 a year.  I don't buy or wear accessories of beauty products (beyond shampoo and hair gel).

2. I only buy kid clothes at the Goodwill (at items up through size 5T are $0.99 each, bigger kid clothes are $1.99 per item).  Peter, as the oldest, and Audrey, as the only girl, need the most "new" clothes each year...though I do buy the other boys a fair amount of clothes to replace whatever gets destroyed through rough and messy play.  Overall, I probably spend about $200 a year to clothe the four kids and another $100 to keep them in shoes.

3.  DH works at a desk job, so he very rarely needs new clothes.  His biggest expenses are actually socks and undershirts.  On an average year, I probably spend about $100, some of which is to buy him a new pair of shoes every couple years.

So, overall, it seems I spend just over $500 a year to keep the 6 of us in clothes and shoes.

Wendy

• Like 1

I love clothes.  They are my weakness.  However I get almost all my clothes at thrift stores with 30% off coupons, so I don't spend much - I just accumulate a lot (and then get rid of a lot - it's a cycle).  I wouldn't include beauty products in my clothing budget if I bought them, but I don't wear make up, or jewellery.

We've spent just under $1000 on clothes this year, with it being split almost half and half between adults and children.  That's probably about average.  DH usually gets most of the clothing budget for adults - he needs new dress shirts for work, new white tees for under the shirts, new pants for work and new undies quite often.  I get a much smaller amount of the clothing budget but usually actually buy more clothing than he does.  The kids - usually they will need shoes or jackets or sometimes we just randomly have no hand me downs of shorts for the summer or pants that fit.  Again, a lot of the time we buy from thrift stores for them.  DD is actually pretty convinced that all clothing can be provided for through three mechanisms:  1.  Hand me downs from my friend with kids 2 years older than each of mine, 2. thrift stores and 3. Costco.  

No idea what I spend. I am not super spendy, but I've lost a lot of weight and basically needed a new wardrobe (YAY ME!!). I shopped Old Navy 50% on Black Friday, and usually shop Target, etc. I do get a Stitch Fix about once a quarter. I am conscientiously improving in my fashion sense. Get Your Pretty On helped me a ton, and sparked an interest in not looking like a slob all the time. I just feel better when I am a little pulled together. My current go-to is jeggings, trendy slide on sneakers/birks/boots, and a nicer top/sweater, maybe some bling. Nothing crazy, but not leggings and a Hogwarts t-shirt. 

Boy - $50/year. Maybe. Seriously. He never changes. Four pairs of shorts a year, a few t shirts, a church uniform (not really - but he wears the same thing EVERY week. LOL!!)

Girl - super cool, on point, but fussy. She's very low maintenance. We buy as needed. 

Like, nothing. Uniform for work. Casual otherwise. Gym clothes. A few church/business casual outfits. He's been the same size since we met, so he doesn't need much. He's also very low maintenance. 

We don't have an individual budget for clothing just the family total (which is $600 a year to cover the 8 of us) but I do usually manage to add another 100-200 a year to it from clothes that I sell.  So to be generous it works out to about $100 a year per person.  Youngest DS clothes are all bought used or hand me downs(he can be outfitted for the year on well under $50).  There is some hand me downs for the girls but mostly they have their own styles so each year I'm having to buy more new for them.  The oldest 2 boys don't care one bit about clothes so whatever they have is fine with them.  Only problem is oldest DS is a tall bean pole, so his shirts are all from the tall section and his jeans are all new because even then I can only find one brand that makes his size.  Good thing is that he has been wearing the exact same size for 4 years so other than a new pair of tennis shoes from Costco (which at 12.97 a pair are an awesome deal)  each year, I seldom have to buy him anything.  DH walks a lot so his shoes take a beating.  We usually end up buying him a couple of pairs a year.

Otherwise it's just replacing things that are worn out.

I don't do make-up or jewelry or even accessories but I can't be bothered so no extra expenses there.

1. I'm not super fashionable, and I sort of care about fashion. I don't enjoy looking frumpy, and I like to look "nice" but I have trouble keeping up with what's current. I have found my uniform:

Tshirt and skirts with sandals in the warm weather.

Long sleeved tshirt and skirts with leggings and boots in the cold weather.

Some of the skirts can be worn year round and some are geared toward just one season.

I recently bought some jeans and flannel shirts, but I find I don't wear them very much: I fall back on the uniform most of the time.

I don't use very many beauty products and do not count them as part of my clothing.

Since I have a uniform, I only have to change it out bit by bit. If a tshirt gets ragged looking, I can replace it, and same thing with a skirt. I have some skirts that I've had for a number of years now that have held up.

I have one pair of nice pants and two nice shirts that I wear for Sunday. I try to remember to switch shirts every time I go, but if I don't remember, oh well. No one is remembering what I'm wearing to church or caring.

I don't really have a budget. I expect I spend about $300 a year on myself on average. Some years more, some less.

Most of my stuff is from the thrift store (the skirts), walmart (the tshirts and leggings) and Target (for an extra nice skirt or boots.)

2. I don't really budget for the kids. We buy when they have outgrown their clothes. I tend to buy it new because it's hard to find good boy clothes at the thrift store. They had a lot of hand-me-downs when they were small and looked sort of ragged in their barely-matching clothes. About 2 years ago when my oldest hit 13, I got tired of it, so I get them stuff new, but I wait for sales. I calculate that I spend $600 on the two of them each year.

3. I have no idea how much my DH spends. He will wear things until they just can't be worn anymore and isn't hard on his clothes. He haaaates to spend money and does a good job of getting the cheapest stuff he can find, without it being so cheap he'd be embarrassed at work. He will try the thrift store first and has pretty good luck there. Otherwise, he will get stuff on sale. His mom likes to get him nice shirts at Christmas from time to time. No clue what he spends.

All in all, it's a little over $1000 a year, with the bulk of it being the boys and I. However, I am pretty sure I won't need to buy anything for myself except for a few tshirts at Walmart for about 2 years now. I was looking at what I have and I've finally collected a nice assortment of skirts and tops that should last for a long time now.

Edited by Garga

Is our family fashion conscious?  Well, I admit yes.  We like to be stylish.  Do we spend a lot of money?  We first set what we can afford, and then buy accordingly.  Fortunately, most people in my household love to shop second hand, including my dh.  So, we begin with what we can afford, not with an amount.  Somehow it always works.  My dd's have often sold things on eBay in order to buy new clothes.  I generally buy nicer, new big-item clothing (winter coats, etc.) as Christmas gifts.

I don't consider beauty products to be part of clothing.  Beauty products can be bought fairly cheaply at a Target or Walgreens type place, and they generally last a long time.  Skin care products for acne belong in a category of their own, though.

• Like 1

Very unfashionable. I live in jeans and long sleeve polo shirts. My husband however loves to shop at Nordstrom Rack and buy me new handbags, coats, parkas and watches during their sales. No budget.

Jeans - less than $50

Tops - less than $50

(ETA: my jeans and tops last for years, even some from college days so I don’t need to buy yearly)

Outerwear - more than $600

Shoes - more than $200 (I kill shoe soles as a rate of four shoes per year on average regardless of brands$

Handbags - more than $600

I asked for a dress watch for my birthday and my husband bought me four watches so far for me to pick which ones to keep. He doesn’t mind me keeping all but I don’t need four dress watches. He spent about $600 total for the watches as he got them on sale for more than 50% off.

The only beauty products I use is facial toner and moisturizer which I consider as health essentials due to my eczema prone face. I spend less than $100 per year on those.

My DS13 had a growth spurt and is still growing. DS12 is growing gradually but skinnier than DS13 so hand me downs don’t work. We buy them clothes as they outgrow them so about $200 per kid this year for jeans, T-shirts and a windbreaker. I think it was $60 for shoes per kid this year as they only change shoe size once. We don’t set a budget, just buying as needed.

(ETA: Children’s Place Outlet jeans at $7 per pair, Levi’s jeans from Marshall’s at $15 per pair. DS13 wears a size 18 or 27x27)

My husband doesn’t have a budget as well. He buys as he run out of shirts or jeans without holes. He sticks to under $20 for jeans and around $10 for long sleeve shirts. So easily under $50 per year. He buys a new pair of work shoes every 2 to 3 years and spends around $30. He doesn’t like to spend on himself.

Edited by Arcadia

I'm not big on forward fashion, but I tend to dress business casual anytime I leave the house. I will wear jeans, and nice tops, too.

I like the kids to look a little on the nicer side when we go out, and dress them to a business casual or slightly less level also. They can wear jeans, but not faded and no holes.

I spend about $200-$300 a month on clothes and shoes for the kids and I. I shop sales, and off season. I don't wear makeup, and I dont buy jewelry. I do wear a little jewelry, but I like to wear the things my husband gives me, so I don't buy my own.

Dh takes care of his own clothes, and usually dresses in a button up shirt, nice jeans, and dress shoes. I don't know how much he spends, but I do know he hates to spend money on clothes.

I don't budget for clothes, but just get what we need. My figure doesn't include sports clothes and shoes.

Not fashionable.  I dress like I did in high school (35 years ago).  I don't use make-up or accessories.

I buy very minimal clothing for myself.  I will wear my existing clothes until they cannot be worn in public any more, and then I will buy a new item to replace the banished one.  Usually each year I have to replace 2 or 3 things.  And I do buy t-shirts when I travel.

My kids - because they are growing, and because they have to go out in at least 10 different outfits every week, I do buy them stuff.  I don't have a set budget.  I prefer to keep things simple, but I also don't like to have a laundry crisis at the same time as a work or health crisis, so I try to have more than they absolutely need.  I will buy used, but only if it can be done without a huge time suck (i.e. mostly online).  My kids don't have expensive tastes, so that helps.  How much I buy depends mainly on how fast they grow.  I recently bought my kid 2 pairs of school shoes because her feet are growing fast.  But I bought relatively cheap ones since she won't be in them long.

No husband here, so I'll skip the 3rd question.  :)

I’m not fashionable, but one of my goals for this year was to not look like a mom of a toddler, since my youngest turned 5 this year. I am trying to make more of an effort to look put together.

Dh has to wear suits for work and this year we bought a few new ones (which he needed). He also bought clothes for cycling. And he gets new running shoes a couple of times a year. Plus, he needs going out clothes and hanging out clothes. Socks and underwear need replacing every year too.

We have four elementary aged boys. I found north face coats on clearance a couple of years ago, and now that is all they want to wear because of how thin they are. They have passed down nicely, but I have been buying a new one for my oldest every year. What is most expensive for them is clothes for sports (and I don’t know if we are counting that here)-golf shirts,soccer cleats, baseball cleats, and basketball shoes. And having clothes for all the seasons- raincoat, snow boots, etc.

Including shoes, coats, and suits for Dh I am scared to add it up. Honestly, probably around $2000 a year.

1. I am more classic than fashionable. I like good fitting jeans, nice tops, good booties for dressing up or cute cowgirl boots or my clogs for everyday. I spend around $200-400 a year for myself. More if I buy shoes - shoes are one thing I don't buy cheap.

2. I spend way too much on my kids. I have five. My oldest dd is 15 - she likes Under Armour and Pink. I have probably spent $750-1000 on her this year. My 12 yo ds also likes Under Armour and Nike, and he wears Levi jeans. He plays sports, so I buy football cleats, wrestling shoes, etc. Probably spent $750-1000 on him this year. My next three are 9, 7, and 5. My little boys wear Levi's, but my daughter wears Children's Place jeans. They all wear Nike shoes. I probably spent $300 each for them this year.

3. My husband is low maintenance. He wears Wrangler snap button shirts with Wrangler jeans. He buys several pair of boots a year. Probably $500 a year on him.

I don't really budget clothing. It comes out of a general spending pool as-needed.

I'm not all that into fashion, but I like to wear nice clothes now and then. I mostly scour sales as they come up and check for things we might need.  My younger boys *always* need jeans!  TCP is the best for sales, imo. 

Dh is in charge of his own clothes buying.

ETA: One of our biggest line items in clothing if we carefully tracked clothing would probably be bras.  3 women are expensive!!!

Edited by Carrie12345

I don't care about fashion. I keep wearing the clothes that I like and that look good on me for many years. My clothes seem to last forever; I still have things I bought before my kids were born. I need to dress appropriately for work every day, but teaching is not exactly hard on clothing,. 

I don't budget. If I don't need shoes, I spend under $200 per year for myself. About $100-150 for DH - he wears jeans, casual shirts, and teva sandals, and T-shirts, and needs some replacement each year.

Kids varied, depending on growth spurts and age and life situation (we shopped a bit before DD moved to college.) DS needs worn out clothes replaced, but does not care about fashion either.

My most expensive apparel items are rain jacket and hiking boots.

Edited by regentrude

We only shop at thrift stores or consignment stores.  I don't remember the last time we've purchased something new, except  shoes for sports. We all look nice, if I do say so myself.  My teen girls are especially good at putting together fashionable outfits and people often comment (positively) on our clothes.  Even though we could afford to shop for new clothes now, I see little reason to.  Actually, I prefer the thrift stores because the variety is so much better.  It's like getting a conglomeration of every store instead of only having access to what is considered fashionable at this moment.  I've thought about giving my kids a clothing budget, not so that we don't overspend, but so that we don't overbuy.  When things are so reasonably priced, it's easy to buy too much.  It would also help my kids learn to budget and save, so I think it's a good idea.  I'm considering keeping track of what we spend individually for a year, so that I'd have an idea of a reasonable budget, but right now I have no guess as to what we actually spend.  

I don't really have a budget - I'm lucky that money is not too tight.  I replace clothes as they wear out or I have a specific need, for example I've just started wearing orthoses, so some of my shoes no longer fit.  I'm working on replacements as necessary.  

The same with the family.  I give them clothes as gifts for birthdays and Christmas if it sounds like something fun.  Otherwise, I just replace things.

Do you consider yourself fashionable or care about fashion?

I'm more classic than fashionable, and I put a lot of thought into garments, how they'll wear, and whether it's "me." It doesn't matter if something is a little out of date (not that I would know, lol) as long as it's clearly "me." I also keep a small wardrobe of mostly dresses, because I like that simple, streamlined look, and it saves me from the stress of figuring out if things go together.

How much do you allow maybe per year for clothes, shoes, and accessories for yourself?

Not sure. I get what I need at reasonable prices. I keep in mind what it costs per wear is likely to be.  If I splurge on shoes or something I'll keep that in mind later in the year when thinking of new dresses, kwim?

Do you consider beauty products as part of your clothes budget?

No.

I don't. Kids have this annoying habit of growing, lol. This past spring I got one of my kids a summer wardrobe in what I was sure would be a nice, roomy, grow-into-it size. He went through a massive growth spurt right after that, and skipped that whole size! Back to the stores....Glad he has a younger brother....

That said, when I hear about people radically simplifying their kid's wardrobes, the amount they pare down to is right around or a tad less than what we have, so I guess we naturally err on the side of a small wardrobe.

No idea. Usually I'll be ordering something online during a great sale and ask if he needs anything too. I also pick up casual stuff from Costco for him. Again, naturally small wardrobe.

After thinking through my own responses, I believe keeping things small gives me more freedom to purchase on-the-fly and not worry about budget strain. Like the time DH was wanting a sports coat and there was a great discount if you got two. We thought it over for a minute, figured we never spent significant money on his clothing, and dropped a lot more money than we originally intended, but those coats are classic, well-fitted pieces that will last a very long time. It works for us, but different families will have their own systems.

• Like 1

We are a family of five and budget $100 per month to clothes. We include shoes, outerwear, costumes,haircuts and dry cleaning as clothes when categorizing our expenses. Not so much beauty products as I buy very little and generally with groceries. Our $100 budget is not enough.

Edited by SamanthaCarter

You know I've been pretty darn curious what it was she said...  If you're able to share.  :D

• Like 2