Menu

I need the Hive's help - which pic for my online chem course website

Dicentra

Hey Hive - I need your help.  I've been working on my website for the online chem courses I'm going to be offering in Fall 2018 and I wanted to include a pic of myself.  'Cause I figure people like to know what the person teaching their kids looks like. :)  Note: I HATE having my picture taken.  HATE. IT.  So the pics I have to choose from are limited. :)  The first two pics are head shots that I cropped out of family pics taken over the last few years.  The black and white pic is one that I let my husband take of me this summer 'cause I had my hair done and I thought it looked nice. :)  Dh likes the pic but thinks it's too... informal? for a business website.

So...  Which pic would you choose?  1, 2, or 3?  Or would you recommend that I get a different pic taken altogether?

The fact that I'm posting PICTURES OF MYSELF publicly is freaking me out completely.  I think I just need to hit "Post" quickly before I chicken out...

*See update in Post #23 with new pics.

Edited by Dicentra

I'll give my very honest opinion as someone who does semi-professional photography. 

The first one looks like you cropped it out of another picture, and that isn't professional.

The second one looks more like you were having your picture taken in some sort of classroom or office, so that is a bit more professional.  But it's grainy.  And from a small thumbprint, in the second one it looks like you're wearing a head covering, like a Mennonite would wear (hair pulled back into a bonnet-type thing.)

For the first two, you look harsh and not-harsh at the same time--the hair pulled back so tightly is harsh, but your smile is warm and welcoming.  Hard to tell.  If you're teaching children, I'd shoot for warm and welcoming over harsh.  

The third one is technically the superior picture.  The lighting is good, you have a light shining in your eyes, the black and white is done very well....but you are standing in a coy stance with your hair cascading down.  You look SO GOOD in that picture...but I'm not sure it's professional.

I say that you need to bite the bullet and get another picture done.  

Stand in front of a plain background (a wall with pictures removed, drapes, a fence).  Wear the white button down shirt, keep your hair down, but down your back and not your side, stand up straight, and beam (beam!) a smile at the camera.  It's hard to tell you about lighting if I can't see where you are, but it would probably (probably) be best to have someone use the flash on the camera so that you get that white-dot of light in your eyes (a must for a good portrait.)  

If you just can't bring yourself to get another picture done, then go with three.  You look so lovely in number three. 

• Like 4

I'd go with the 3rd, but crop it.  A closer shot that doesn't show your arm position and maybe slightly less of your hair would make it look less informal.  Your smile is great!  

Yes!  Forget what I wrote above. If you hate re-doing pictures, then a crop would be a perfect solution for you!  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

The cropped one is much more professional and you still look amazing in it. You look welcoming and happy and like someone I'd want to learn from. :) A bit of the hair is fine. The uncropped picture is a beautiful portrait, but it doesn't make you look "professional." The crop does. It takes out the coy stance and all that gorgous hair (unfortunately), leaving you looking competant and approachable.

Someone else said maybe not so tightly cropped, and they may be right. Play around with it a little bit if you want to. The crop you showed was really good, though, so don't fret about it if any other crops don't look right to you.

• Like 1

Ok...  I had to remove the original 3 photos to have room to upload these three. :)  3 4 different crops - which would you choose?  Or would you do a slightly different crop?  Or maybe the original uncropped - people have said they like that one.  So many choices...  Maybe I'll just replace my pic with my avatar from here - the kids can all think they're being taught by a field of pansies. :D

And Stephanie - I love the idea of putting some chemistry stuff in there. :)  I'm assuming that would require figuring out how to make a transparent frame for the pic - that might take me awhile. :)  I can teach quantum numbers but fiddling with computer stuff stretches my brain. :D  I'll see what I can figure out.

Edited: I added a longer and less square crop, as well.

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 1

Ok... I had to remove the original 3 photos to have room to upload these three. :) 3 4 different crops - which would you choose? Or would you do a slightly different crop? Or maybe the original uncropped - people have said they like that one. So many choices... Maybe I'll just replace my pic with my avatar from here - the kids can all think they're being taught by a field of pansies. :D

And Stephanie - I love the idea of putting some chemistry stuff in there. :) I'm assuming that would require figuring out how to make a transparent frame for the pic - that might take me awhile. :) I can teach quantum numbers but fiddling with computer stuff stretches my brain. :D I'll see what I can figure out.

Edited: I added a longer and less square crop, as well.

The 4th crop, just because it's closer to the right size for a portrait. Think of a school picture and how they're longer up and down than they are wide (8x10 or 4x6, etc).

But you can't really go wrong if you use that black and white picture in any format, though I still think a crop is better than the whole picture for the purpose you want for it (as a professional portrait of you being a teacher). If you were saying, 'Which should I print to display on the mantel," then the uncropped is best. But for a website where people will hire your services as a teacher, then a cropped version.

• Like 1

I like the 4th one, I think the rectangular aspect ratio makes for a better composition. And I agree with Garga that it looks more like an intentional portrait, whereas the square crop (especially the first, really tight one) makes it seem more obvious that something has been cropped out, kwim?

• Like 1

Thanks again, all, for your help!!  I'll let everyone know when the website is functional (should be in a few days) so you can check it out and let me know what you think. :)

Oh - and if anyone was wondering what colour my hair is ('cause I'd wonder if I saw a b/w pic of someone - I'm just curious like that :) ), here it is from the back: