Menu

Are your dc constantly asking for snacks?

rose

I don't know whether we have high metabolisms or not but my dc are constantly asking for snack. I kid you not, it's 8:45, we sat down to eat about 1 hour ago and he has already asked me for a snack and told me that he's "very, very hungry." As I'm typing this ds6 asked me for a peach or a plain piece of bread. For breakfast, they had between 1.5 and 2 cups of oatmeal each with ground flax and milk. It doesn't seem to matter at all what I serve them someone will for sure want a snack within 2 hours. Our snacks aren't even junk either. I'll serve them a piece of fruit or some veggies with no dip pretty much every time. Maybe I'll add a piece of homemade sourdough bread. It's mind boggling to me how much these children eat. Are your dc like this?

At certain times, with growth spurts, they would eat all the time. And at 14/15, my DS was hungry 30 minutes after the meal and consumed 4,000 calories per day.

I myself prefer small, frequent meals and have always eaten a second breakfast about 1.5-2 hours after first breakfast (until I hit my later 40s and need less food now). I find this a normal eating pattern; the second breakfast was traditionally built into the day in schools when I grew up in my home country.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Nope, but we have had established eating times since they were little (which did include snacks about halfway between meals).  So if we ate breakfast at 7-8, there'd be snack around 10ish and lunch at noonish, nap, snack around 2 or 3, dinner around 5 or 6.  That's slowly phased out over the years so that we typically eat 3 meals per day, with maybe an afternoon bowl of popcorn or pita chips.

Not everyone's philosophy, of course, so...do what works.  ;)

Nope, but we have had established eating times since they were little (which did include snacks about halfway between meals).  So if we ate breakfast at 7-8, there'd be snack around 10ish and lunch at noonish, nap, snack around 2 or 3, dinner around 5 or 6.  That's slowly phased out over the years so that we typically eat 3 meals per day, with maybe an afternoon bowl of popcorn or pita chips.

Not everyone's philosophy, of course, so...do what works.   ;)

Crazy thing is that I do this. They're just too little to understand time, hence the constant asking. Ds 6 is just starting to understand the clock but it's not automatic for him yet.

I'm also thinking that increasing protein might help. You can scramble up an egg or two and cook it with the oatmeal - just temper it so that you don't have visible whites. (Or, if that's intimidating, you can just serve oatmeal with a side of eggs, lol!)

However, since you said it doesn't matter what you serve them, odds are that they're just growing. Growing children need a lot of food. Try to make sure that your snacks have a good amount of fiber and protein, they may go longer that way. So fruit WITH Greek yogurt or cottage cheese or peanut butter. Veggies WITH hummus or peanut butter or cheddar - or a hard boiled egg!

• Like 2

We used to do school right near the kitchen and they were allowed to go get snacks.  Funny thing is, even when they were allowed, they would still ask.  I never required it.  

They could grab a banana or cheese stick or yogurt and sometimes even chips (yup, I will admit it!)

As long as they didn't do it in the middle of me trying to read a story to them or me talking and explaining things, I was fine with it.

How little is little?

Two of my younger ones couldn't eat enough food to sustain them in one sitting. Until they were 5-7 years old, they could only take in 200-300 calories at a time. If a little kid needs 1200-1500 calories a day, then little bellies do need to eat 5 or 6 times a day, and something more substantial than a piece of fruit or some veggies.

Maybe you could track the total calories they eat for few days to see what they average. Make sure you account for long afternoons at the park or whatever! Then you could try to get them to eat a few more calories at meals and increase what they can take in in one sitting.

• Like 1

I provide the food and make sure there is a variety of healthy choices, therefore my kids are welcome to get themselves a snack as they see fit. They do occasionally ask of the can have x thing, but it's more of a "was this thing purchased for a recipe or a meal, etc" than asking permission.

Like Heather, I just ask that they clean up for themselves.

• Like 1

No.  They were raised to not eat snacks.  From the time they were eating solid food full time, I simply offered 3 meals per day, and they never questioned it.  Snacks are totally unnecessary.

were your 2 and 3 y/o able to eat enough at one sitting to sustain them for 4-5 hours? Mine were not able to eat that much at once.

Edited by regentrude

They used to but we instituted free for all on carrots or peppers and peanuts or walnuts. They can have as much of those as they want any time. If they don't want them, they're not hungry.

No.  They were raised to not eat snacks.  From the time they were eating solid food full time, I simply offered 3 meals per day, and they never questioned it.  Snacks are totally unnecessary.

I think that it has to do with metabolism rates and stomach size. I tried to switch over to this way after spending time with a family that does as you do. My littles were just so sad. I even tried persisting through the whining, hoping that they would adjust but it simply didn't happen. They're just hungry, genuinely hungry. It caused teariness and lethargy and not rebellion. At meals, I try to press them to eat more but they'll tell me that they are really full. Even if I serve a meal that they really like and tend to overfill themselves with they will still be genuinely hungry with 2 hours.

• Like 1

No. They were raised to not eat snacks. From the time they were eating solid food full time, I simply offered 3 meals per day, and they never questioned it. Snacks are totally unnecessary.

This really depends on the child. It would be more accurate to say "snacks are unnecessary for my children".

Some of us here tend towards hypoglycemia. Snacks are indeed necessary.

• Like 7

were your 2 and 3 y/o able to eat enough at one sitting to sustain them for 4-5 hours? Mine were not able to eat that much at once.

Yes--I assume so.  They didn't complain.  

I know I'm in the extreme minority on this one, but I truly believe that if you offer snacks regularly, you train kids to eat less at meal times.  You also teach them that being hungry for an hour or two is something to be avoided at all costs.  

I think that it has to do with metabolism rates and stomach size. I tried to switch over to this way after spending time with a family that does as you do. My littles were just so sad. I even tried persisting through the whining, hoping that they would adjust but it simply didn't happen. They're just hungry, genuinely hungry. It caused teariness and lethargy and not rebellion. At meals, I try to press them to eat more but they'll tell me that they are really full. Even if I serve a meal that they really like and tend to overfill themselves with they will still be genuinely hungry with 2 hours.

Is it possible that they are filling up on carbs?  I know my kids when they were little loved carbs best--so I actually went out of my way to spike them with protein and (especially) fat.  

This really depends on the child. It would be more accurate to say "snacks are unnecessary for my children".

Some of us here tend towards hypoglycemia. Snacks are indeed necessary.

Obviously if there is some medical condition that requires eating more often, snacks are necessary.

However, I suspect that many people who think they have hypoglycemia are eating a suboptimal carb to protein/fat ratio.  

I also think that there are many people who eat snacks because they are bored, they've bought into the "grazing" is better for you mentality, they are afraid to be hungry for a few hours, or they are simply in the habit of snacking.  

You also teach them that being hungry for an hour or two is something to be avoided at all costs.  

I as a mother chose to avoid having an hour or two of hungry young children at all cost, because it inevitably translated into behavior issues that were immediately solved when the child got to eat.

I get grumpy when I have low blood sugar, but I am an adult and can control my behavior. to some degree -children are typically not as good at that.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I know I'm in the extreme minority on this one, but I truly believe that if you offer snacks regularly, you train kids to eat less at meal times.  You also teach them that being hungry for an hour or two is something to be avoided at all costs.  

Again, I don't see why it is a problem for them to eat less at meal times.  Of course they eat less at meal times - they are eating many more times during the day.

I don't think being hungry for an hour or two is something to be avoided at all costs, but I certainly don't think there's some sort of moral benefit to being hungry when you can eat, any more than there is a moral benefit to being in pain or being cold or being hot or anything else.  

There is no cost, for us, to having the kids eat when they are hungry.  

• Like 7

Again, I don't see why it is a problem for them to eat less at meal times.  Of course they eat less at meal times - they are eating many more times during the day.

I don't think being hungry for an hour or two is something to be avoided at all costs, but I certainly don't think there's some sort of moral benefit to being hungry when you can eat, any more than there is a moral benefit to being in pain or being cold or being hot or anything else.

There is no cost, for us, to having the kids eat when they are hungry.  

Did I say there was a moral benefit?

I do believe that there are health benefits.

If nothing else, I think that eating three meals - or three meals and a single snack - is easier for scheduling in a busy life.

As for the healthiest way to divide up calories, people have gone back and forth and there is just such a lot of cultural variation here, from one meal a day to three to three and a large snack or three and two small snacks - I mean, I doubt there is one way that really is healthier for everybody, or even most people. It all just boils down to what you're used to.

• Like 1

My kids don't ask for snacks most of the time, no. Sometimes they seem to run hungrier than others so I offer cottage cheese, carrots, or hardboiled eggs as a default. If they decline I assume they were more snacks/bored than genuinely hungry. They eat an it breakfast around 10:00-ish, lunch around 2:00, and dinner around 6:00 most days. No snacks, no dessert, by and large. This works fine for the two year old and up group.

Like I said if someone if hungry they can choose a nutritious/filling snack, but it's rare anyone needs to. Exceptions are days we might have a really physical midday activity or have had an overly early breakfast, where they get hungry before lunch. Rare, but it happens.

I don't know whether we have high metabolisms or not but my dc are constantly asking for snack. I kid you not, it's 8:45, we sat down to eat about 1 hour ago and he has already asked me for a snack and told me that he's "very, very hungry." As I'm typing this ds6 asked me for a peach or a plain piece of bread. For breakfast, they had between 1.5 and 2 cups of oatmeal each with ground flax and milk. It doesn't seem to matter at all what I serve them someone will for sure want a snack within 2 hours. Our snacks aren't even junk either. I'll serve them a piece of fruit or some veggies with no dip pretty much every time. Maybe I'll add a piece of homemade sourdough bread. It's mind boggling to me how much these children eat. Are your dc like this?

No.

Yes. Both of mine ask for food all day long.

I think, though, that only one really needs to eat that frequently. He is NEVER still. He also will almost always accept fruit and usually accept raw veggies with no dip when he asks for a snack. I have an open-kitchen policy on those; anyone can have them at any time throughout the day. My other child will generally refuse vegetables, and to a lesser extent fruit, even at meal times. She has a sweet tooth and an affinity for junk food and carbs, which she would eat all day long if allowed.  I have begun encouraging her to think about whether she is truly hungry when she asks for snacks, especially since she is now the size of an adult and her growth spurt seems to have waned. Going without snacks seems to help her be willing to eat more variety at mealtimes, and also I think learning to discern true physical hunger from boredom, etc. is an important skill (obviously this applies to older kids, not littles!).

Yep.  Mine is 14yo and it has been constant since she was born.  She is a big eater and ate adult-sized portions at meals by the time she was 4yo.  And still needed snacks.  All.  The.  Time.  She is now a pretty serious athlete so the big food needs are not surprising but as a toddler and young child, I worried that she always needed so many snacks.  We always have balanced meals and the snacks are not "fun."  She is totally happy to eat plain yogurt, veggie sticks, fruit, nuts, etc....  We have almost no junk in the house.  She genuinely needs the food.  She is trim and muscular so I am not going to question her food needs.  As long as you have healthy snacks on hand and it is not causing you a bunch of extra hassle. I see no reason to try to "fix" it.

Do you serve steel cut oats or the Quaker rolled oats. Switching to steel cut really makes a difference. Serving it alongside even half a hard boiled egg can really help. Still, your kids are little. Eat and grow fast is what they do. I don't think everyone should graze all day, but most toddlers and preschoolers still need to. It's a drawn out process from birth. My kids transitioned from nursing around the clock to 3 meals and a teatime snack VERY gradually over the course of 5-6 years.

I agree with your philosophy for most of a lifespan. I think it's important to know that hunger isn't an on-off switched that you have to be in a panic to keep switched to "off" at all times. There are degrees of hunger and it's healthy to know your body's signals. Feeling peckish 30-40 minutes before a meal is probably good. Feeling hangry or woozy 90 minutes before a meal is a problem to solve.

Even though I feel that excessive grazing isn't the best way to eat, I do think the very young and the very old are notable exceptions. I had tiny kids. It took a while before they were big enough to hold enough food to carry them for more than two hours.

• Like 2

I would suggest making sure they're getting enough protein with meals.  put peanut butter on that bread, or sausage/hard boiled egg/cheese at breakfast. 

protein will hold the hungries for longer.

fruit seems to be one of the worst - it will give a sugar hit, that then drops and leaves you hungry.  not as fast as with candy - but  much much faster than with protein.

you can plan on snacks mid-morning/mid-afternoon.  just make sure there is protein as part of it.

• Like 1

some kids just need to eat frequently - 2dd, would eat three bites and be full.  then 30 minutes later, she'd be hungry. (for another three bites.)   it's just the way her metabolism rocks.  she's been that way since she was a newborn.  

the hospital she works at was doing health fair while I was there - and she couldn't not eat something for the 12 hour fasting glucose.  to not eat was making her nauseated.  (i have the same thing - if I go too long without eating something, i also get nauseated)  she did tell whomever was doing the blood sugar she ate something - but her numbers were still really good.

Well to some extent they are hungry because you allow them to snack.  If they got used to eating only at meal times, they would be fine, but it would be a rough 10-14 days until their bodies got used to it.

To another extent, kids under about 8 need to snack.  They're growing so rapidly they need the extra calories, and their negative behaviors tend to be much less if you feed them every 2-3 hours.  Obviously if they were the newborns that would drink 4 oz bottles at less than a month old and then sleep 4-5 hours, they don't need to eat that frequently as preschool kids.  But most breastfed babies especially eat smaller more frequent meals as they get older. That's fine.  To a large extent food expectations are cultural and there is absolutely no reason you cannot change your family culture about food if the incessant demands for food are driving you crazy.  Just expect behavior problems for a few weeks until you their stomachs get used to the new rules.

I agree that you might want to switch to steel cut oats.  Regular oatmeal, especially without any protein, might be too quick to digest.  Cooking an egg into the oatmeal might make it more filling without being detectible to the kids.

You can post a visual schedule for kids too young to understand time.  Like - a picture of eating breakfast (steaming bowl of oatmeal), picture of brushing teeth, picture of getting dressed, picture of making bed, etc, whole day through, including favorite cartoons (Daniel Tiger), and snacks.  DON'T post times next to the schedule to discourage rigid thinking.  You can laminate the pictures, put velcro on the back, and arrange the cards on a felt board if you want to make rearranging it part of your day.  IE: if you decide to go to the Y instead of the park because of rain, if an appointment gets cancelled, if one activity ran too long so you decide not to do the next thing after all, etc.

I've found having specified snack times and still having some items open (apples, vegetables) as long as it's not within 30 minutes of a meal is okay here.  Other times, if they literally just ate I say, "You cannot possibly be hungry, you just ate.  Here, drink a glass of water." or "I guess you should have eaten more at dinner then, huh?"  I don't mean I'm being inconsistent.  More trying to meet the needs of each child.  I do try to be pretty rigid about not allowing sugar outside designated dessert time though.  We do foster parenting here so we are probably more flexible than a lot of people.  Some kids cannot behave when they are hungry, and I don't expect them to.  Which isn't to say I'm going to cave on meal or snack plans if I genuinely believe the child needs more structure.  More like I'm more patient with redirecting little kids who are hangry rather than giving them a time out.