Menu

Do you have glasses for just distance and do you wear them?

Tap

DD18's up close vision is 20/20.  Distance is 20/30.

The eye doctor suggested a pair of driving glasses for her distance vision.  I am wondering if it is worth investing in or not.  She is a college student so the other possible use I can see them for is taking notes in a lecture hall etc. (ETA: I am imagining stadium type seating, and taking note from a screen/white board)  They will Not be corrected for near vision,They will not have a clear area, they will be completely corrected for distance.

DD has some health issues and that includes some sensitivities that can lead to migraines.  The glasses she picked out are $150.  I Do NOt mind paying this to make things easier and comfortable for her, but I also want to make sure they are worth the money.  Places like Zenni are great but hard to find a good feeling fit from a computer. LOL 

My experience that may be affecting this:

I have reading glasses that are corrected +1 on the bottom, and clear for distance. I wear them maybe once per week for a minute or two at a time and then take them off.  the only time I leave them on, is if I am sitting still and doing a detailed task like hand sewing.  They make me sick to my stomach if I try to wear them all the time (I am prone to motion sickness). I can't wear contacts due to other eye issues. 

Edited by Tap

I have glasses for distance. I need them for driving or even when just walking around generally looking at things at a distance. (The distance doesn't have to be that far away -- it helps me see things more clearly that are, say, about four feet or more from me.) I can see the instrument panel clearly with my glasses on.

I remove the glasses for reading & for eating. (For some reason, the food is too close & the blurriness through my glasses almost makes me queasy.)

For me, glasses are mandatory for driving as they especially help me in lower-light/dark situations, reading street signs, seeing pedestrians & bicyclists that might not show up well, etc.... I think it is also well-worth investing in distance sunglasses if they will mainly be used for driving. (My biggest issue is times when on vacation. If I'm on the beach, I need my distance sunglasses to look out over the water or people-watch or whatever. But I need plain non-rx sunglasses if I want to read. So, kind of a pain but do-able.)

I vote yes. Get the distance glasses for driving (I got my first pair in college & was AMAZED that I could suddenly read highway signs from a distance. I didn't realize how much I couldn't see clearly at a distance.) And get distance sunglasses for driving as well.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 3

I wear glasses for driving and for watching tv in bed. My vision is about 20/50, just bad enough that I need them to drive. I also have prescription sunglasses so I wear those all the time when I'm outside.

For 20/30...I don't know. I would hesitate to spend a lot of money on glasses for that.

Have you looked at walmart, Sam's, Costco?

Both of my pairs of glasses are from walmart. I adore my inside glasses, they're the best fitting pair I've ever had and I've worn glasses on and off since I was 5.

• Like 1

I have distance glasses.  I don't wear them at home, but I wear them for driving and usually keep them on once I'm out and about.  
When my prescription gets out of date (and my eyes get worse) I am much, much more prone to migraines.  In fact, getting them is usually a hint that I need to update my prescription.

I agree that if one has glasses for driving, there needs to be a sunglasses solution.  It doesn't have to be a separate pair; some glasses come with magnetic sunglass lenses that snap on to the regular glasses frame.  These are nice as there is less to carry around, although the lenses in regular glasses tend to be smaller than sunglasses, so there may be some compromise there.

Yes, I got them about a year ago. I use them for driving and for watching movies . The more I wear them the more adjusted I've become so I often leave them. I take them off for reading...and need reading glasses sometimes for that. 

I've used Warby Parker for my glasses. They are reasonably priced, $95. The nice thing is that they have a free try-on program. You pick five pairs you like, and then get them to try on. You can mail them back and not purchase any at no cost. It helped me to see what I liked and to also see how it felt on my face. 

• Like 1

Well, I legally have to wear them for driving (not sure how the 20/something works... mine are about -4.5 or -5 or so, and there're cylinders as well or something). I wear them basically all the time, even when reading etc that I don't need them for (very rarely I won't wear them while reading). If she legally doesn't have to wear them to drive, I'd be inclined to only bother if she does a lot of driving... but then since you say she gets migraines, maybe she should wear them, since eye strain can cause headaches too (also, aren't there special colored tinted lenses that reduce migraines)?

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I have glasses for driving - only at night and/or in poor weather. They are not required on my driver's license. I do it for ease and comfort. They make a big difference in my depth perception at night/in the rain or snow. And, the prescription is hardly anything at all.

I would get her the glasses.

• Like 1

I would get them, and I would pay whatever I had to to be sure they were "good" in terms of fit and focus... which is a big deal to me because we have very little "extra" money.

DD's vision is actually pretty good, but she needs her glasses. Technically, she doesn't need them to drive, but she always wears them (or contacts). Without the glasses, her eyes get tired from struggling to focus. She also has prescription reading glasses, and when she doesn't wear them, her eyes hurt.

I have a mild prescription like that for distance. I got a pair of $39 ones at Walmart with no special lenses, coating etc and they are just fine. You could get a second pair tinted like sunglasses or they offer clip on sunglasses that are matched to fit the frame for about $10.

• Like 2

I have to wear my glasses in order to drive legally and would be terrified to attempt driving without my glasses. 

I am near-sighted, so my glasses are to correct distance vision.

I only wear my glasses at home if I am watching tv. The rest of the time at home, my glasses are put away.

Because I am a schoolteacher, I got progressive glasses so I would still be able to read with my glasses on. When I got the glasses three years ago, the near vision part of the glasses was clear. Now there is a slight prescription for the near vision part.

Absolutely, that's why I got them. I got prescription sunglasses and regular glasses and I leave them in the car. It is so helpful to be able to read the street signs well before needing to turn! I got the glare reduction coating on the regular glasses to cut down on the approaching headlight glare.

Yes, I can't see far away and have been wearing distance lenses for years. For year, I just wore them for driving. Enormous help. Just in the last year or so I started to use them when I'm vacuuming, watching TV and grocery shopping. I can see up close just fine without reading glasses.

And I have both prescription sunglasses and prescription regular glasses.

Huge help.

Alley

Yes, I call them my driving glasses. I don't always drive with them, but at night or if there is any sort of precipitation they make a huge difference. I don't know whether I would need them for lecture.

Ditto.

I don't wear mine, but I should probably be responsible and get an updated exam.  I *should wear them for night driving, especially if it's raining while night driving, but it isn't a habit because I rarely drive at night.  I suppose I should just keep them in the car, but I guess I'd have to find them first.  :001_huh:

I don't even remember what my numbers are, but they're good enough that I can see big signs before they're too close to change lanes or whatever. Street signs are a different issue. I've never been able to read those well, even when I passed my vision test with flying colors.  That's what my GPS screen is for!

If I were going to take classes in a lecture hall, I would definitely wear or at least take them for that.

I have glasses for distance, but my vision is much worse.  I think it's 20/150, or something like that.  So to me, 20/30 sounds like nothing!  But maybe it is, I don't know.  I definitely need mine for driving and watching TV/movies.  I have prescription sunglasses that I wear probably more than anything.  I don't wear glasses for close-up work though, ever.  And most of my day is close-up work.

So, I don't know about your daughter.  If she finds it difficult to read signs, etc., when she is driving, then of course it's worth it.  If she actually sees everything fine, but glasses just make it a shade more vivid, than I'd probably hold off.

Youngest dd 's prescription is minor for distance but she swears it helps and wears them or contacts always. Got her glasses at Walmart and her contacts I order on line, neither are covered due to such a slight prescription.

I can't see a thing without mine but my vision is much worse than hers.

I got my computer glasses at EyeBuyDirect, they are cheap but work.  The ones I wear daily I got at Lenscrafters, expensive but worth it.

I have distance glasses that I am supposed to use for driving. They do help make everything a little sharper and clearer, especially at night. They are new for me so I haven't developed the habit of remembering them all the time. I suppose I will need them to renew my license, though. The eye doctor said I would not pass the vision test without them.  I also have separate reading glasses. 

I recently started wearing my distance glasses to watch movies at home, too. I think it's time to go back for a new prescription, even though it's been less than a year. :(

I cannot wear my reading glasses for anything other than reading or I feel sick as well but I think the distance glasses would be helpful for reading notes from a whiteboard, powerpoint, etc.

Edited by samba