Menu

"Framed" a long form article in LA Times; plus many other articles linked by other posters

unsinkable

I read that article a couple months ago. It's definitely one of those stories where the further I read, the more I thought there's no way this can be true.  It's crazy to think that real people behave like that, especially over something so minor.

Kind of on a side note, I absolutely love long form articles. Texas Monthly has some great ones. I also really liked this one about twins separated at birth. It gave me lots to think about regarding nature vs. nurture and the concept of family. And this article about 3 women from Ohio traveling to Florida was wonderfully written yet absolutely chilling.

• Like 7

I read it when it came out and subscribed by email so I wouldn't miss any new parts of the story when they came out. Such a bizarre story and so well done!

Me too. I read this a while back and was just floored at what this couple did.

• Like 1

I read it when it came out and subscribed by email so I wouldn't miss any new parts of the story when they came out. Such a bizarre story and so well done!

I agree. If it was a movie, I'd say it was too farfetched to be believable!

• Like 2

I read that article a couple months ago. It's definitely one of those stories where the further I read, the more I thought there's no way this can be true. It's crazy to think that real people behave like that, especially over something so minor.

Kind of on a side note, I absolutely love long form articles. Texas Monthly has some great ones. I also really liked this one about twins separated at birth. It gave me lots to think about regarding nature vs. nurture and the concept of family. And this article about 3 women from Ohio traveling to Florida was wonderfully written yet absolutely chilling.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm familiar with the story of Jo and her DDs :crying: but have not read that particular story.

I get the ReadThisThing email newsletter, and they feature a lot of this type of article. They aren't all long-form articles, but many of them are or use similar types of visual storytelling.

ETA: I just remembered this story. It's disturbing and made me really uncomfortable because I'm claustrophobic and the idea of underwater cave exploring gives me heart palpitations. But it was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

I've read all the one shared.  Here are some that have stayed with me.

This one about a police officer who was abusive was chilling.  http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/police-domestic-violence/

This one about a man pretending to be a member of the Rockefeller family.  http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2009/01/fake_rockefeller200901

This one about the professor who shot several colleagues during a work meeting.  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/02/11/a-loaded-gun

This is one about a woman who was shot and killed.  Her husband said it was an accident and that her young son accidentally shot her, but the investigation was...flawed.  http://www.9news.com/news/investigations/blame/blame-jill-wells-lincoln-county-accident-or-murder/407010267

This one about a man with amnesia and the search for his identity. https://newrepublic.com/article/138068/last-unknown-man

This truly bizarre story about a man killed in a hotel room and the investigation.  http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

I guess most of mine are crime, but I do read about other things!

• Like 6

That is completely nutballs. I'm so glad they didn't get away with such abusive, psychotic behavior because of wealth, connections, and more familiarity with the legal system.

Anyone else have any interesting long form articles to pass along?

Longreads is a subscription email newsletter that sends a selection of great long-form articles. They also have a website. https://longreads.com

The subscription used to be free, and I think is still just "donation" based. They ask for $5 a month but I think you can give less if you want and still get the emails. 

• Like 1

I am very, very tired this morning from staying up way too late reading these stories. I am abnormally fascinated by people you wish could be arrested before they ruin people's lives.

Like the fictional story (and movie) Minority Report?

I've read all the one shared. Here are some that have stayed with me.

This one about a police officer who was abusive was chilling. http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/police-domestic-violence/

This one about a man pretending to be a member of the Rockefeller family. http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2009/01/fake_rockefeller200901

This one about the professor who shot several colleagues during a work meeting. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/02/11/a-loaded-gun

This is one about a woman who was shot and killed. Her husband said it was an accident and that her young son accidentally shot her, but the investigation was...flawed. http://www.9news.com/news/investigations/blame/blame-jill-wells-lincoln-county-accident-or-murder/407010267

This one about a man with amnesia and the search for his identity. https://newrepublic.com/article/138068/last-unknown-man

This truly bizarre story about a man killed in a hotel room and the investigation. http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/true-crime-elegante-hotel-texas-murder

I guess most of mine are crime, but I do read about other things!

Thanks! I've read a couple of these but I'm eager to read the rest.

She was very lucky she got an inquisitive cop. Ninety nine percent of the time the discovery of the drugs would be the end of the story. You should never consent to a search. The momentary appearance of innocence and eagerness to cooperate means nothing in the ultimate legal process, in fact I think it's essentially treated as a confession to whatever's found. Sometimes cops themselves plant things.

I thought the class dynamic was underexplored in the article. I think the fact that she was not on their social level contributed to their belief that they could mess with her with impunity. The article made it sound like they were just individually obsessed with statud but was there something about the local social environment that made a lowly renter seem disposable? What was the response of the people in their circle? etc

• Like 5

She was very lucky she got an inquisitive cop. Ninety nine percent of the time the discovery of the drugs would be the end of the story. You should never consent to a search. The momentary appearance of innocence and eagerness to cooperate means nothing in the ultimate legal process, in fact I think it's essentially treated as a confession to whatever's found. Sometimes cops themselves plant things.

I thought the class dynamic was underexplored in the article. I think the fact that she was not on their social level contributed to their belief that they could mess with her with impunity. The article made it sound like they were just individually obsessed with statud but was there something about the local social environment that made a lowly renter seem disposable? What was the response of the people in their circle? etc

Yes to both points. You summed up my thoughts completely.

Isn't that a Tom Cruise movie? I have a hard time watching his stuff. He's... yeah.

Tom Cruise is in the movie but it is based on a story by Philip K. DIck.

Dick's work was also the basis for the movie Blade Runner (1982 version). A new Blade Runner sequel is coming out this summer, if anyone cares.

I have a friend whose ex and new wife have been this delightful as far as setting my friend up to get custody of her kids. they have been caught in most of their extreme deceit but still have custody. They are better liars than the people in the OP, I guess, because even when caught people agree with them. But at least my friend's ex is a person who wants his own kids bad enough to frame someone. The people in the OP were just controlling criminals. Honestly, it is scary the things they probably did they got away with. My friends ex did try to frame my friend for a DUII, but it didn't stick. He also framed her for stalking him, even when he was stalking her, again, she managed to prove he was the creep, but he still got what he wanted in the end. I wish she would sue, although, like the people in the OP, good luck collecting if she won.

• Like 1

The class thing was left out. It seems like the wife felt her social standing (money and education) afforded her superiority. She clearly felt this made it ok for her to destroy the woman. Like the way some people look at a bug.

I think it was likely education more than anything. Irvine is obsessed with education. People from other parts of the world move there just for the schools. My sister lived there for 2 1/2 years when her daughter was young. It was one of the few places in the US her Japanese husband would even consider due to both safety and education concerns. They rented, and I don't recall my sister ever feeling looked down on because of it. But she talked a lot about how competitive the parents were so I could totally see where the crazy mom went ballistic over the perception that her son was seen as slow and not far above average in every way.

Now when my sister was later a single mom in the Midwest and her daughter was attending a Catholic elementary school, there she definitely felt looked down on both for being both divorced and not having enough money.

• Like 2

I have a couple more!

This story about a search for a person's identity and what it lead to(murder, more mystery, a genealogy search) is almost unbelievable.  I don't want to give anything away, but if you like longform crime writing this is one to not miss.   Very engrossing and sad story.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/05/13/finding-lisa-story-murders-mysteries-loss-and-incredibly-new-life/vCCxbYYUD63kjIoIMJQiWM/story.html

This story about a woman's disappearance while hiking in Nepal was interesting to me.  https://www.backpacker.com/trips/gone-girl-aubrey-saccos-disappearance-hiking-in-nepal

And this story has stayed with me since I read it.  Two Dutch women went missing while on a simple hike in Panama. The disappearance, search, and aftermath are well covered here.  http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-lost-girls-of-panama-the-full-story

• Like 3

The class thing was left out. It seems like the wife felt her social standing (money and education) afforded her superiority. She clearly felt this made it ok for her to destroy the woman. Like the way some people look at a bug. 

Her father also seemed quite willing to cover for both her and her husband. It looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

• Like 1

This is totally an aside, but I loathe the LA Times website. It crashes my computer every time I use it. I finally just cut and pasted the article into a document to read since even when it's working, it gives my whole computer major lag.

• Like 3

I have spent way too much time this weekend reading this articles.

Irvine is like some kind of utopia. I can't even fathom someone not being in jail if caught with the dope, but less a police dept devoting a dozen and more cops to the investigation. And that's not even getting into that I'm 99% confident no onther school district would have stood by her. I'm sure most would have caved at the hint of litigation.

I get why she was so scared and freaked out, but in the other hand... daaang. She lives in some kind of magical wonderful place with a lot of smart and good people or her situation never would have gone like it did.

• Like 3

I have spent way too much time this weekend reading this articles.

Irvine is like some kind of utopia. I can't even fathom someone not being in jail if caught with the dope, but less a police dept devoting a dozen and more cops to the investigation. And that's not even getting into that I'm 99% confident no onther school district would have stood by her. I'm sure most would have caved at the hint of litigation.

I get why she was so scared and freaked out, but in the other hand... daaang. She lives in some kind of magical wonderful place with a lot of smart and good people or her situation never would have gone like it did.

I have wonder if the experienced cop who was there first , so had the "gut" feeling it was not a straight forward case, also felt the social standing / class differences in his work, making him more sympathetic to the underdog and get to the bottom of the case.

• Like 2

This is totally an aside, but I loathe the LA Times website. It crashes my computer every time I use it. I finally just cut and pasted the article into a document to read since even when it's working, it gives my whole computer major lag.

Yes!! I think it took me well over an hour to get through it. At one point I asked my computer guy (dh) to fix it and he said it was the LA Times without even looking.

• Like 2

I have wonder if the experienced cop who was there first , so had the "gut" feeling it was not a straight forward case, also felt the social standing / class differences in his work, making him more sympathetic to the underdog and get to the bottom of the case.

I have to wonder if the Mrs. already had a local reputation as a whackadoodle. That would explain why the cop and the school stood by her and went the extra mile.

I have to wonder if the Mrs. already had a local reputation as a whackadoodle. That would explain why the cop and the school stood by her and went the extra mile.

I don't ow that it would explain it. Anywhere else, well most anywhere else anyways, the procedure is X to CYA, so you do X. In this case, X would have been to bring her in and follow the book for someone caught with drugs on them. X would have been discussing with school district attorney/school board and finding some way to cut her so they wouldn't have the expense of dealing with the problem. In most cases, people would have taken the least problematic and most CYA way.

I'd like to think otherwise, but there's an over whelming amount of evidence against a rosier outlook.

• Like 1

Another murder mystery - The monster of Florence  (aka Amanda Knox is right, Italian police really are bad at their job).

But re: Framed, besides that it also took me forever to get LA Times to show me the article - I don't get why the couple was never brought up on drug charges. They admitted to planting the weed = possession. And even if the other drugs were from their own medicine cabinet, passing out prescription drugs to other people is a crime.

I guess they thought it was just a lesser charge, and would detract from the main crime? I don't know.

But yeah, when it comes to discussions of race and drug crimes, I know there's bias and whatever, but moms stealing their kid's adderall is harder to catch than the corner kingpin hooking kids on crack. But geesh, it's right there and admitted and...meh???

• Like 4