Menu

Is there any help for me? I can't make decent coffee

Laurie4b

I need to drink coffee at doctor's suggestion because it makes a drug I'm taking more effective. Otherwise, I would have given up. I chug down my coffee as fast as possible --like medicine. It just tastes so bitter. 

I don't have the same reaction to coffee in restaurants. 

I have tried using an old Mr. Coffee, then switched to a pour over set up without much improvement. I use the Mr. Coffee to warm the water though, so if the water temp is an issue, that might be the problem. For the pour over, I pour a little bit in, wait 30 sec for it to soak in, then pour in the rest of the water as it goes down. I need about 3 cups, so it takes a while to pour it all through. 

I have tried various fair trade coffees and they have all been Blech!

What am I doing wrong? 

ETA (To answer questions that have come up below) : I use the amount of coffee per package directions, so 2 Tb per 6 oz. 

I do use milk, but not sugar for health reasons. 

I choose coffees that are labeled light roasts. 

I think all that I have tried have  been from various countries in South America. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

What brand of coffee are you using for starters? :)

ETA- I just reread your post and saw Fair Trade. Where do you enjoy drinking coffee from, if any?

Edited by texasmom33

It may have to do with the water temperature - Mr Coffee just "warms" the water, but does not actually boil it. Bring the water to a rolling boil and then let it cool down a tiny bit before pouring it over the coffee.

How much coffee grounds do you use per cup?

Also, experiment with different roasts. The differences are huge.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I love coffee, and drink several cups a day, but I have to drink the lightest blend. For me that's usually a breakfast blend. If I drink anything stronger I get that bitter taste. I cannot drink Starbucks due to that...even their lightest blend (the blonde roast) is too strong for me and gives me that bitter taste. At home I've figured out my perfect radio of water to coffee to get the flavor as I like it. I use a single cup keurig, and I measure out exactly 10 ounces of water with my Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. Anything less and, again, it tastes bitter. 

Everyone has their own coffee preferences. Usually it's trial and error until you find a coffee you like AND figure out the water-to-coffee ratio. 

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 2

There are many different kinds of Coffee here in Colombia. The best quality coffee is exported. We can buy that, but it is more expensive and we do not pay for that extra quality.  We drink the lower quality, which is very good.  In our house, we switched to a brand that is quite strong "Cafe Sello Rojo", a few years ago.  You need to have a good coffee maker (ours is a Proctor-Silex which we bought because it is almost impossible to spill water or coffee when using it). You need to use the proper amount of coffee for the amount of water you are adding and you need to have a coffee maker that is operating properly and getting things to the proper temperature.

Question: Is there a coffee that you enjoy drinking in a restaurant or somewhere else? If so, ask them which brand they use.

I don't know what a Fair Trade Coffee is so cannot comment on anything you do not buy in a regular supermarket. 

Buy Colombian Coffee!

• Like 2

I was also going to suggest cold brew or French press. The pour over looks simple too, but I don't have personal experience with it. DH's secret (from Alton Brown I think) is to add a pinch of salt to the grounds. If you want an automatic thing, Nespresso is so much better than Keurig. It makes espresso which is lower acid or something too. You can make lattes, Americanos, etc.

• Like 2

I would do the pour over method. However, for the initial moistening of the grounds use about an ounce of water, let it drain, dump and rinse cup, and then you proceed. The initial water holds almost all of the bitterness, so I throw it out.

I did not know that. I will give that a try. 

• Like 1

What brand of coffee are you using for starters? :)

ETA- I just reread your post and saw Fair Trade. Where do you enjoy drinking coffee from, if any?

I've used various brands of Fair Trade coffee, some from Trader Joe's, some from our local organic store. I think everything I've tried has been from somewhere in South America. 

I enjoy drinking coffee anywhere I do not make it! ;) 

It may have to do with the water temperature - Mr Coffee just "warms" the water, but does not actually boil it. Bring the water to a rolling boil and then let it cool down a tiny bit before pouring it over the coffee.

How much coffee grounds do you use per cup?

Also, experiment with different roasts. The differences are huge.

I will try that. Is there a certain temp I need to let it cool to? 

I'm no coffee expert, but I don't care for bitter coffee either.  I prefer a cone-shaped coffee maker/filter - our flat-bottomed Mr Coffee tastes more bitter.  For coffee, I use a brand from Costco; I think it's called Pinon (red bag with yellow on it).  I only use 1 tbsp per 6 oz water; 2 tbsp would be way too much for me.

Keurig and the trial coffee sampler. I just kept trying a new one every day until I found it.

I have always liked whatever coffee came out of a Keurig. I was about ready to spring for one, but wondered if its innards are plastic or something that doesn't leach chemicals. Do you happen to know? 

A long time ago, I heard or read somewhere that using too few grounds will increase bitterness. Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I read something similar to this, too.  The article said you should brew really strong coffee, then dilute the brewed coffee with hot water.  Too much water running through too little grounds will bring out the bitterness.  I have never tried, so I have no idea if it is true.  Wish I could remember where I read it.  Martha Stewart comes to mind.

I think a French Press would be a great starting place to work on tweaking your coffee brew to be just right for you. There, you have all the control over how hot the water is, how much coffee grounds you use, and how long you allow the grounds to soak in the water.

Also, using full-fat milk or high fat cream usually tastes better!  :laugh:

ETA (To answer questions that have come up below) : I use the amount of coffee per package directions, so 2 Tb per 6 oz. 

That seems like a lot to me. My plain old Folger's calls for 1 tbsp. per 6 oz. 

When my mom makes coffee for church, she sprinkles a little salt over the grounds. She claims it makes the coffee less bitter. Her coffee is usually pretty good.  :)

• Like 1

Yep that's the usual amount it calls for.  I do half that.  So one level TBSP per 6oz. 

I need to drink coffee at doctor's suggestion because it makes a drug I'm taking more effective. Otherwise, I would have given up. I chug down my coffee as fast as possible --like medicine. It just tastes so bitter. 

I don't have the same reaction to coffee in restaurants. 

I have tried using an old Mr. Coffee, then switched to a pour over set up without much improvement. I use the Mr. Coffee to warm the water though, so if the water temp is an issue, that might be the problem. For the pour over, I pour a little bit in, wait 30 sec for it to soak in, then pour in the rest of the water as it goes down. I need about 3 cups, so it takes a while to pour it all through. 

I have tried various fair trade coffees and they have all been Blech!

What am I doing wrong? 

I do use milk, but not sugar for health reasons. 

I choose coffees that are labeled light roasts. 

I think all that I have tried have  been from various countries in South America. 

• Like 3

Could you borrow someone's Keurig or Tassimo? Also, water makes a huge difference in taste. My DH's "favourite" coffee changes depending on where we move, and the water there. So if other places are using filtered water and you're not, or vice versa, or a different source, that could contribute to a different taste.

• Like 1

Is it "bitter" or "sour" that's the offending flavor?

Latin American coffees (of the sort you've been using) tend to be higher-acid coffees that those from Africa or Indonesia.

I'd try coffees from those regions in addition to adjusting your brew methods.

Cold brewed might work for you. I like French press for my daily brew, but it makes strong and slightly gritty coffee.

Cold brewed is lighter bodied (as is similar vacuum method coffee).

Bill 

• Like 2

I would do the pour over method. However, for the initial moistening of the grounds use about an ounce of water, let it drain, dump and rinse cup, and then you proceed. The initial water holds almost all of the bitterness, so I throw it out.

I've not heard this! Definitely giving it a try -- I switched to a pour over a couple of years ago, but still haven't made the perfect cup of coffee with it. Maybe this will help.

I love coffee but there's no way on earth I could drink any that was brewed with 2 Tbs. per 6 ounces of water. That would be way too strong for me! I fill a reusable Keurig pod (however much coffee that holds) and make about 14 ounces of brewed coffee.

• Like 2

The Aeropress makes terrific coffee.  

I also would suggest using a medium roast, not a light roast, but not the burned out Starbucks roast, either.  Roasting is what brings out the flavor of the coffee, at least to a certain point.

Also, if you can get a little spendy, the Technovorm pourer coffeemakers are top rated because of the water temperature and delivery rate they use.  

I use a Nespresso, which is a little better than a Keurig because it uses more pressure to extract the flavor, so there is less bitterness.

My dh uses the Technovorm with Thundermuck Coffee from Oregon and it is heavenly.  

Also, try going a little stronger--you can always dilute it but you can't make weak coffee strong.  

And...you might just not like coffee.  :0). 

A pour over is actually a little trickier than just using a French press. If you do it incorrectly it can over extract or under extract and change the flavor. A French press doesn't require much technique, and the coffee is usually delicious :)

I agree with finding a nice medium roast and playing with your ideal coffee to water ratio. Also the water does need to be just under boiling. Freshly roasted whole beans you grind yourself taste completely different from pre-ground coffee that has sat on a grocery store shelf for weeks or months.

• Like 1