Menu

Economical Car Good in the Snow?

goldberry

We live in a somewhat rural area with snow and ice in the winter. We also live "up the pass" which is a long, steep, windy road that can get pretty bad in winter.  We've always had 4WD or AWD mid size SUVs. We bought a used Suzuki Grand Vitara for DD, but it has a lot of miles on it and won't last long.  

Having been through the phase in my 20s of buying one old cheap car after another and paying constant repair bills, I would prefer to advise DD to be saving for a down payment on a cheaper but newer or new car.  But mid size SUVs are not most affordable.  My friend who lives in town bought a new no-frills Ford Focus very inexpensively.  But it doesn't seem like a good car for weather, etc.

Anyone had experience with a basic, economical car that also did well in the snow/ice?  

Edited by goldberry

Subarus won't be inexpensive upfront unless you get lucky, but they last forever and tend to be very reliable. They are the gold standard for snow for a reason (they are the only car with full time AWD).

It might be worth scouring the ads for a used one. 10 years ago we bought our '98 for $5,000 and it still runs great (though I did recently trade up for a new Forester).

• Like 4

Found this, mostly Subarus but a few others.

http://www.autotrader.com/best-cars/top-least-expensive-all-wheel-drive-cars-199289

The Juke is on there. Anyone have any experience with that vehicle?

(what's up with all these hatchbacks though? yuck.)

My resident car expert says the ground clearance is quite low on the Juke and the AWD is not much more than a badge ("rubbish" is the term he used).

I big puffy heart hatchbacks because they are so practical! I'll never own another sedan.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Wow, really? That's one thing I was looking for.

Yep. In ALL other cars, the AWD is activated for very short bursts. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes not. After hearing about CRV AWD fails around here, I'm glad I made the decision to go with another Subaru. It's the only car I'll consider in the future in a climate like this.

• Like 2

Just yesterday, dh mentioned that when the time comes, we would look at a Subaru for the kids to drive.  We had one years ago. (We are in CO.)

Love my Suburban in the snow, but it is not economical.  Plus, I just spent a boatload on service at the dealership on front end work.  The guy told me that the "auto" setting for 4wd is only good for limited situations and that hitting dry pavement would blow the transfer case - basically, sounds like a stupid design.  So I aim not to use auto anymore ever.  (transfer case was one of several things I just replaced.)

• Like 1

Resident Car Expert (aka DS) would also like to share that not all AWDs are created equally. For example, going up a hill on ice, the Subaru will automatically dedicate 60% of the power to the rear wheels and 40% to the front, ensuring enough grip. Under user tests, Nissan never gave more than 10% to the rear in icy conditions even using the AWD lock feature.Under "normal" driving conditions, the Subaru AWD is 60% front and 40% rear for more efficient power transfer; other cars will be front wheel drive unless it detects a change in conditions.

Subarus are too expensive! (even used) I was hoping for some other options!

Consider how much you'd pay for repair costs on another you won't on a subaru.

Also be willing to look father afield. Finding exactly what you want and need is worth the drive.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I had a Subaru Impreza as my winter driver for 15 years (the same one).  It is absolutely brilliant in snow.  It has only ever need minor repairs (brakes etc).  We are in a very snowy area athat gets serious winter.

Our other car is a Honda fit.   With a good set of snow tires it handles well enough on snow and ice (better than you might expect).

You might consider a a more inexpensive car with really good snow tires.  If I had to choose between good snow tires and AWD, I would choose the snow tires every time. 

• Like 1

I had a Subaru Impreza as my winter driver for 15 years (the same one). It is absolutely brilliant in snow. It has only ever need minor repairs (brakes etc). We are in a very snowy area athat gets serious winter.

Our other car is a Honda fit. With a good set of snow tires it handles well enough on snow and ice (better than you might expect).

You might consider a a more inexpensive car with really good snow tires. If I had to choose between good snow tires and AWD, I would choose the snow tires every time.

AWD doesn't mean you don't still need good snow tires, though. They do different things.

• Like 5

Resident Car Expert (aka DS) would also like to share that not all AWDs are created equally. For example, going up a hill on ice, the Subaru will automatically dedicate 60% of the power to the rear wheels and 40% to the front, ensuring enough grip. Under user tests, Nissan never gave more than 10% to the rear in icy conditions even using the AWD lock feature.Under "normal" driving conditions, the Subaru AWD is 60% front and 40% rear for more efficient power transfer; other cars will be front wheel drive unless it detects a change in conditions.

That's really interesting!  Thanks for the additional info.  Also, clearance is a big issue.  Even some of the Subarus seem to have lower clearance than others, so I was looking for that.

• Like 1

Yup, Subaru, hands down!

Also the official car of Vt & northern NY ;)

Between my parents, my brother and his wife, & me, we own 4 currently. (The rest of us drive a truck or AWD Sienna)

Yup - the official car of VT. :-) 

I'd stay away from the 2005-2006 Outbacks. They're known for blowing head gaskets. 

We've been happy with leasing, but DH's lease is up at the end of the year and he's going to hunt for a decent used one for $5000 or so. They are out there. Our friend just bought a 2012 Impreza and his payment is just over $100 a month. 

• Like 3

re finding a used Subaru:

That is a good point, OP -- there are a lot more used Subarus....  in areas where there are lots of Subarus.  If you're considering that route, it might be worth casting a wider geographic net than you ordinarily might.  There are lots of Subarus in CT as well.

• Like 4

You might consider a a more inexpensive car with really good snow tires.  If I had to choose between good snow tires and AWD, I would choose the snow tires every time. 

I hesitated to post because we don't get serious snow here, but winter tyres on an ordinary car are an option to consider.  This video is interesting:

• Like 4

The joke in CO is that you either drive a Subaru or a pickup! I'd look at Subarus--they are everywhere here.

We have one of each :) ... and all of our neighbors have Subarus, too. And they're everywhere up in the mountains.

Run like a dream in the snow. Once we were in the Sierras and sailed by multiple SUVs stuck in the snow :D , wheels spinning. And last forever, so they're a great investment. Ours is a 2001 and runs great.

• Like 4

Our college dd and her hubby got a "great" deal on a Subaru and unfortunately it has had all sorts of troubles. I am no longer a fan. His dad helped them find it. His dad is not a car guy. My dh is a car guy, it kills him that he didn't make a special trip and fly out to help them find a good used car. So if you buy used, get it really checked out, even if it is a Subaru!

We live in a snowy place that is maybe a little less classy than Vermont, and there are plenty of Subarus on the road, but lots of other stuff, too. Jeeps in all styles, RAV4, ford has a really high rated awd SUV, even some awd mini vans. Don't be guilted into a Subaru!!

Do some test driving, let your friends know what you are looking for - I have a theory that the less desperate you are for a new car, the better luck you will have! It sounds like you have time to look around.... I love my suburban, but for some crazy reason, my teens aren't interested in inheriting it. If I were buying this year, I'd go with a jeep. 4wd over awd

I would (WILL... I have 3 teens right now) focus on tires and weight.  

In 12 years of living on this mountain, which has 6 month winters and more ice than snow, we've never had 4WD.  Dh did get stuck coming up the hill once, in ice, before the roads were treated properly, near the base of the road that goes up 1,000' in 3 or 4 winding miles.  In the Prius!

I don't argue against 4WD, but we haven't found a significant need.  I've always driven minivans, and dh is driving a non-4WD Jeep (Cherokee? Company car, and they chose against 4WD.)  Our main roads are pretty well kept.  Our side roads can be terrible, so we drive real carefully or delay plans.

If you do find one that fits the budget, go for it!  But I do think the bigger key is a lot of practice on low-to-no traffic, slippery roads, and learning when it's best to just stay off of them.  Because 4WD won't protect you from the people who don't know how to handle the conditions, anyway.

• Like 2

I love my Honda CRV, but then I don't live on a mountain and I don't drive in bad road conditions if I don't need to.  I live on a flat prairie.

My ds has just a regular ol' Ford Focus, but he puts amazing snow tires on it during winter months.  He has to drive in bad road conditions whether he likes it or not.

Apparently some Subaru years are better than others, but I will buy nothing else. We have a 2003 awd Outback that is still going strong. Over the last 14 years we have had to replace the brakes and the clutch (it's a manual transmission). Otherwise no problems whatsoever besides basic maintenance. It has over 200,000 miles and I don't intend to get rid of it until it dies. We are in CT. The resale value is quite high, so a low mileage recent model year is not much less than a new one. But, over the long haul, it is the best value car we have ever owned. 

I see many, many Subarus much older than mine still on the roads all over New England.

• Like 4

I had an old Wolkswagon Golf front wheel drive that went like gangbusters in the snow. Best ever was an old Wolkwagon Vanagon that drove through Colorado and Utah mountains through all kinds of conditions. It would keep going when conditions were too bad for anything else besides snowplows.

• Like 1

I've been unimpressed with Subaru in this area, but maybe it's just their drivers?

Honestly plenty of cars handle the snow well - a lot of it is more tires wnd driving skill than 4WD or AWD (I find the latter useless, but 4WD can be helpful in a pinch). Hondas are good in snow, as are the older model Saturns. It is enormous and doesn't have 4WD but my Nissan NV does fantastic on everything but sheets of ice with a set of Blizzaks on.

I would not dismiss Honda CR-V.  I have had one for 12 years, live on a steep cliff, and drive through snow for 6 months of the year.  I have driven through every imaginable snow-related condition in it and have not had a single snow/ice related issue with it.  We have snow tires on every car we own.  We also always own a second car that is FWD.  Currently that is a Focus.  With good snow tires, we can drive it 99% of the time.  The only times we cannot drive it is when ground clearance is an issue.  CR-Vs seem to be the car of choice for the local college students.  They are cheap and reliable.

• Like 2

So, snow tires have to be put on in the winter and removed for the summer, correct?

Correct. Different rubber density/wear and tread for different conditions. We do it ourselves but a lot of people just prefer to go to the tire shop and have them switched out. We just buy two sets of rims and mount summer and winter tires on their own set, so it's just removing the lugs and swapping them out.

Having the proper tires for the proper season and driving conditions is SO helpful. It also increases the longevity of the tires effectivrly, since you're only using them 40-60% of the time. It isn't a cost savings per se, but we only generally need to buy new tires every 5-6 years.

So, snow tires have to be put on in the winter and removed for the summer, correct?

Yes. The rubber is softer on winter tires so they have better grip. They are useless once the pavement warms too much, and will wear out very quickly.

I put mine on in October and typically take them off in May (though I have forgotten until June. Kinda embarrassing!). Many places you'll want to take them off sooner, I'd imagine but late April snows are common here.

• Like 1

My most favorite car ever was a Subaru. I wouldn't even mind living in a snowy climate if I could always have a Subaru. I never, ever, ever got stuck and we had a very steep driveway. 

The one time I had to use a rental car, I couldn't get out of my driveway. 

My Subaru was reliable and needed very little work even though it was fairly old. I know they are more expensive than some, but they pay you back in usefulness if you live with frequent snow. 

• Like 2

I'd stay away from the 2005-2006 Outbacks. They're known for blowing head gaskets.

We've been happy with leasing, but DH's lease is up at the end of the year and he's going to hunt for a decent used one for $5000 or so. They are out there. Our friend just bought a 2012 Impreza and his payment is just over $100 a month.

I have a 2001 outback and it blew a head gasket. We have had various other little problems (not including routine maintenance, replacing belts etc.) but then I remind myself it's 16 years old. I tend to compare it to my other vehicle that is only a year younger than it but that isn't really fair. The other is a diesel and way more expensive.

I have never had it stuck but I did have to park it at the bottom of a driveway once. The man next to my violin tutors house had water running for some reason and there was a thick layer of smooth ice, it had 6-8 inches of sugary snow on top, and I needed to get up a steep hill so that is asking a lot. But I still tried which tells me I expect it to go everywhere. :) I've pushed snow with my bumper though and have never been stuck even when others do trying to get up our shared drive.

I find it cheaper to continue to repair vehicles than to buy another older vehicle which may have a different problem. I spent my 20's going through those cars though so I understand.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

As others have said, yes.  Ours are on for more of the year than off because we have snow for more than 50% of the year.  However, they seem to last longer than all-season tires.  We are just now replacing the pair we bought 12 years ago with about 75K miles on them.  The other benefit of snow tires is that you can buy true "summer" tires during non-snowy months which not only last longer than all-weather but also yield better gas mileage.

IMO, a FWD car with good snow tires is almost as effective as 4WD or AWD.  If cost is a factor, I would consider that option.

• Like 1

That's really interesting!  Thanks for the additional info.  Also, clearance is a big issue.  Even some of the Subarus seem to have lower clearance than others, so I was looking for that.

I was concerned about the clearance, too.  Our 1999 Suburban has great clearance and can plow through almost anything.  But it's old.  So we got the Subaru Forester.  I looked at all the clearance on the others that were rated well in Consumer Reports and didn't like them.  The Subaru Legacy my kids drive practically sits ON the ground.  I hate that thing.  But they're not in snow country with it.  And, yes, be sure to look at reviews for the year car you find because some years are bad and some are good (in all cars, not just Subarus).

My dh drives a wretched, used Mercury that has most of the paint peeling off of it and is about 2 inches off the ground, among other things.  He puts steel-studded snow tires on it up here in New England and it does fine.  I think he paid $200 for the set, used, off a guy he works with.  Switches them out in the spring and fall.  I guess you could do something like that with a regular car.  Although, if you have to drive in ice a lot, I'd get a car made for that.  I'd rather drive in a foot of snow than a quarter of an inch of ice.  Ice mixed with hills is scary. 

• Like 1