Menu

Planner indecision

Misha

First world problem alert. 

I love planners - paper planners. Back in the 90's I wanted to like the Palm Pilot but nothing holds a candle to a paper planner for me. 

I have a smart phone now and input stuff on my google calendar but it's not what I prefer. 

Last year I got the 'A Simple Plan' planner.

Pros: 

1) lots of writing space

2) layout

3) 18 month time frame

Cons: 

1) the religious aspects 

2) no weekends for weekly planning

* I don't want to go the print-your-own route,
* I don't want an actual teacher's planner,

* I don't want an online planner,

* I don't want a planner that looks like I printed it myself,

* nor do I want to spend $60+ on an Erin Condren planner. 

Any suggestions for fun planners that aren't religious, but are full of color with lots of room for writing? Or would I be better served with a bullet journal / planner to my preferred specs? 

• Like 1

Have you looked at Franklin Covey Planners? I've been buying them for years. Many different designs and at least three different sizes I know of.

ETA: There is an inspirational quote in some of them but not overtly religious.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

If you're a Costco member, check the office supply aisle and see if they still have the Create 365 planner sets. You get two years' worth of planner pages, plus a few pens, some washi tape, and a bunch of different stickers and embellishments -- and the whole set costs around $25.00. It's very cute and a great value if you want something that's both fun and inexpensive.

• Like 7

I'm a Happy Planner addict.  The re-positional aspect is a huge plus for me.  I actually wound up spending quite a bit of money on expander rings, covers, pretty filler paper, blah, blah, blah, but I have EXACTLY what I want in a planner.

They're not terribly expensive if you use Michael's coupons, and the large size is compatible with all of Staple's less expensive ARC stuff (for their large size.)

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure if I understand. I usually get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sky-Monthly-Planner-19556/dp/B01GPHA3YO/ref=sr_1_11?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1494497109&sr=1-11&keywords=planner. For me that's a decent amount of writing space.

It doesn't have 18 months, though. Just says it has a few bonus monthly pages.

I don't really understand the Erin Condren planner craze. I have a friend that got one. She decorates pages with stickers and stuff. For me personally that's a lot of work and can sometimes make the pages really cluttered looking. To each their own, though.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Franklin Covey Planners? I've been buying them for years. Many different designs and at least three different sizes I know of.

ETA: There is an inspirational quote in some of them but not overtly religious.

I love Covey as well. I've used different electronic and paper planners and finally settled on Covey about 15 years ago.

• Like 3

I have an Erin Condren knock off from Target. It was in the $10 range last summer. It has a monthly, 2 page spread, then a weekly, 2 page apread. The weekdays are twice the size of weekends (each side in 3 parts; the weekend is 1/3 of the page, divided vertically, if that makes sense).

I do not use stickers, colors, etc. Just as a straight planner for lessons. I also use a Google calendar, a huge fridge calendar, and a bullet journal for lists, menu plans, and the like. I need all the helps I can get. :D

I am a planner nerd. I used Franklin Covey for years, have made my own, used a Midori Travelers Notebook for a few years, and just moved to the Hobonichi Cousin. It's quite fabulous. You can check them out here. http://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/

There are two sizes in 3 styles

The Cousin is a5 size and has yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily pages. 

The original techno is a6 size and has yearly, monthly, and daily pages. 

These two are in Japanese, but have Latin numerals. 

The English techno is a6 size and has yearly, monthly, and daily pages. 

This one is in English and has a little larger grid size

The paper is thin, it's tomoe river paper, which is quite divine. You can actually buy them on Amazon or jet pens carries the English version one, although I'm not sure it's in stock there. 

I like the Cousin because it's a bigger size and has the weekly pages, although I'm toying with the idea of the a6 for next year. It's meticulously planned out, but leaves most of the paper for writing on. It lays flat, which was my main con about my Midori. If you like to put stickers and such on the pages, it may not be the planner for you as the paper is thin. 

Edit: Another reason I went with Hobonichi over Midori is that I felt I was always tweaking layout and inserts with the Midori. I liked the size, but I would spend more money than I needed trying to make sure I had the right inserts. With the Hobonichi, it's all there for one year, so I don't have to spend more money or tweak the pages. For me, it's part of creating planner discipline because I would spend my last few bucks on a nice paper. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 1

I have the Create 365 Happy Planner as well. I am on my 3rd one. I use the regular size to organize life (appointments, housework, menu planning, monthly budget/ bill paying, etc.)

I use the large size for my homeschool planner. Tons of writing space and pretty. My other favorite feature is the ability to easily add in pages, pockets, and more.

For me, I like a colorful, pretty planner. I find it motivating. But it is also a time saver and writng space saver because I don't feel the need to decorate it any further.

As far as pretty, large planners go, this one is reasonably priced. Especially with a Michaels or Hobby Lobby coupon. I always get my regular sized one at the end of the year when the 18 month ones go on sale for $12. Then I just pull out July-Dec. $12 for a year planner is a great price for me. I get the large one with a coupon or at Sam's in the kit. I would never pay the price for an Erin Condren.

I hope you find something you like!

Those of you who use the Happy Planner - that's a disc-bound system right?  Don't the pages fall out easily?  Can it be turned completely back like a spiral bound can?   I've looked at these in Michaels but can't seem to pull the trigger.

Right now I'm doing a variety of bullet journal type stuff.  I have one notebook that's just a page a day calendar, one for lists and tracking stuff, and one for my 4-H plans.  I also have a large weekly Cambridge that I'm using for school plans but more for notes after the fact, than actually planning since it's hard to know what day we'll actually do something.

I also just ordered a Scholastic coloring teacher planner that starts in July.

I do keep a Google calendar, and some Keep lists in my phone, and send myself reminders on email.

I just can't seem to find what will work.  I want something I can have open next to my chair at home so I can see what's going on, and what I need to do.  I also would like something I can throw in my purse when we go out so I can make notes and reminders in that instead of my phone.   I do have a fairly good size purse, would probably hold something around 5 x 8.  

• Like 2

I have used this Daytimer calendar for years.  I love it!  This one is blue, but it also comes in a tan leather color which is the color I like best.

On the inside each monthly view includes margins with sections titled "To Do", "Contacts", and "Notes".  These are handy and get used all the time. I love all the paper in the back: lined, graph, and plain white. I use this Daytimer for more than a calendar.  I take random notes in it, and I keep it with me for phone call notes.  For example, when I was shopping for tires a few months ago, I kept a written record of who I called, their phone number, and tire details. This is a wonderful tool.  I love paper calendars.  

https://www.amazon.com/Day-Timer-Appointment-Wirebound-Essentials-45225/dp/B01DQMSP4G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494515244&sr=8-6&keywords=2017+daytimer

This is the description on Amazon:

• Designed for people who use both paper and electronics - full year of tabbed 2-Page-Per-Month calendar pages plus lined note section, graph pages, and perforated blank notes
  • Wrap-around blue debossed leather-like cover - creates a professional appearance for work or home use
  • Lined Notes - 26 sheets/52 pages; Graph Pages - 25 sheets/50 pages; Blank Perforated pages - 32 sheets/64 pages
  • Dimensions: 9-1/8" x 11-1/8" x 5/8" - Notebook size 5 wire-bound page: 8-1/2" x 11"
  • Printed on quality paper containing 30% post-consumer waste; Made in the USA

Gallery Leather Planner from Barnes and Noble. The only one I have been able to stick with for the last few years. It is a bit expensive but I love the simplicity of it and if you bring your teacher's ID or Intent to homeschool paper, you  get 20%off the price as educator's discount.

I love this planner. I add the color myself. ;) It's simple and cheap. Had plenty of writing room. My daughter and I both use these. I have the mythical creatures one.

Action Publishing 2017 Garden Paths & Forest Trails Coloring Day Planner, 8.5 x 11 - Inch Large (8511-SNACOL2016) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDJ96SM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_XyrjpxxmNnC4f

This looks so cool! The layout looks truly usable.

I think you should make all my purchasing decisions from now on.

Btw, the Miracurl is amazing! (DD is the one who uses it though she hasn't tried sleeping on the curls yet.)

• Like 1

Those of you who use the Happy Planner - that's a disc-bound system right? Don't the pages fall out easily? Can it be turned completely back like a spiral bound can? I've looked at these in Michaels but can't seem to pull the trigger.

Right now I'm doing a variety of bullet journal type stuff. I have one notebook that's just a page a day calendar, one for lists and tracking stuff, and one for my 4-H plans. I also have a large weekly Cambridge that I'm using for school plans but more for notes after the fact, than actually planning since it's hard to know what day we'll actually do something.

I also just ordered a Scholastic coloring teacher planner that starts in July.

I do keep a Google calendar, and some Keep lists in my phone, and send myself reminders on email.

I just can't seem to find what will work. I want something I can have open next to my chair at home so I can see what's going on, and what I need to do. I also would like something I can throw in my purse when we go out so I can make notes and reminders in that instead of my phone. I do have a fairly good size purse, would probably hold something around 5 x 8.

Another vote for The Happy Planner. Yes, it is disc bound. I don't have any problems with stuff falling out. You can turn it all the way back like a spiral notebook. I like the variety of sizes, the accessory options, and the stickers. You don't have to do stickers, but I find them useful and fun to do in a scrapbook-y, creative way. I have added the budget extension pack which is nice, and extra paper for various lists.
  • Like 1

Check out Happy Planners.  They are available at Hobby Lobby and Michaels (and maybe Staples?) and don't have religious stuff except for the Faith one. They are available in both horizontal and vertical formats  They just came out with new 18 month planners starting in July 2017

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Those of you who use the Happy Planner - that's a disc-bound system right?  Don't the pages fall out easily?  Can it be turned completely back like a spiral bound can?   I've looked at these in Michaels but can't seem to pull the trigger.

I have not had pages fall out yet. And really -- they are in there pretty good. Even after taking pages out and putting back in, they don't appear they are going to just "fall out" -- it takes effort and the right motion to get them off the disks.

And yes, you can turn it completely back like a spiral bound. That was one of the selling points for me.  (I use the Blue Sky planner at work)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

This looks so cool! The layout looks truly usable.

I think you should make all my purchasing decisions from now on.

Btw, the Miracurl is amazing! (DD is the one who uses it though she hasn't tried sleeping on the curls yet.)

Oooh I'm glad she likes it!! 

I'll be your shopper!  Maybe if I spend your money I will spend less of my own. ;) 

Have you thought about bullet journaling? I just use a grid-lined composition notebook, a collection of pens in various colors (inkjoy is my favorite, and highlighters. 

I make a monthly calendar which I draw in my planner then I make weekly pages with timers and an open to-do list for each day of the week. I color-code things according to day of the week and also the timers according to what we are doing during that time.

Lots of ideas for this on the internet & instagram.

• Like 3

Have you thought about bullet journaling? I just use a grid-lined composition notebook, a collection of pens in various colors (inkjoy is my favorite, and highlighters. 

I make a monthly calendar which I draw in my planner then I make weekly pages with timers and an open to-do list for each day of the week. I color-code things according to day of the week and also the timers according to what we are doing during that time.

I've been using a bullet journal for almost three years after first hearing about them here. I've changed the format and how I log some things over time, but it's still the best basic system I've ever used.

• Like 3

Those of you who use the Happy Planner - that's a disc-bound system right? Don't the pages fall out easily? Can it be turned completely back like a spiral bound can? I've looked at these in Michaels but can't seem to pull the trigger.

I have never had a problem with pages falling out and I take pages in and out a lot. I fold it all the way back every day with the regular rings. I've never gone up to the expander rings.

Yes, I have. It's top of my list for what to use if I can't find something "perfect".  :laugh:

I've been using a bullet journal for almost three years after first hearing about them here. I've changed the format and how I log some things over time, but it's still the best basic system I've ever used.

Sigh. I keep putting off getting one. 

All I really want in a planner is a large-enough size, high quality paper, monthly view, daily view, with room for lots of notes. I think a bullet journal might be the only way I get precisely what I do want without all the extras that I may enjoy looking at but don't need. 

• Like 1

Okay, y'all are a bad influence.

I had to go to Target while the kids were at TKD today.  And there just happened to be a Michael's right near by.  And I just happened to pop in there really quick, just to LOOK at the Happy Planners because earlier I just happened to look on-line and notice they were on sale.  

There was this lovely sign on the planners - 50% Off (not what the website said).  And 30% off accessories.  So, I bought a small Fitness planner (since fitness is actually my #1 goal for this year, something has to be done), which had a shelf tag of $19.99 but would be 50% off, and a package of stickers which also had a shelf tag of $19.99 but would be 30% off.

Got to the register and the planner rang up $13.99.  Even I can do that math in my head, so I pointed out that it should be 50% off.  Manager checked the shelf, turns out it was an old sign but they honored it and gave me 50% off.  50% off of the $13.99 which was already 30% off the shelf price!

So, I don't feel at all guilty for my impulse Happy Planner purchase since it was pretty cheap, I'll continue using my school planner for school stuff, and I can see if I really like them.  If I do, maybe I'll get a general one for my main planner when my current bullet journal one is done.

• Like 3

I love my Day Designer but it is pricey. However, Blue Sky has a collaboration with Day Designer that is available at Target. Those planners are cheaper and really pretty while still being functional. I think I might switch to that line this year rather than continuing with the "original" Day Designer.

Okay, y'all are a bad influence.

I had to go to Target while the kids were at TKD today. And there just happened to be a Michael's right near by. And I just happened to pop in there really quick, just to LOOK at the Happy Planners because earlier I just happened to look on-line and notice they were on sale.

There was this lovely sign on the planners - 50% Off (not what the website said). And 30% off accessories. So, I bought a small Fitness planner (since fitness is actually my #1 goal for this year, something has to be done), which had a shelf tag of $19.99 but would be 50% off, and a package of stickers which also had a shelf tag of $19.99 but would be 30% off.

Got to the register and the planner rang up $13.99. Even I can do that math in my head, so I pointed out that it should be 50% off. Manager checked the shelf, turns out it was an old sign but they honored it and gave me 50% off. 50% off of the $13.99 which was already 30% off the shelf price!

So, I don't feel at all guilty for my impulse Happy Planner purchase since it was pretty cheap, I'll continue using my school planner for school stuff, and I can see if I really like them. If I do, maybe I'll get a general one for my main planner when my current bullet journal one is done.

It's great that everything "just happened" so you could just happen to get that planner! :D

• Like 1

Yes, I have. It's top of my list for what to use if I can't find something "perfect".  :laugh:

Sigh. I keep putting off getting one. 

All I really want in a planner is a large-enough size, high quality paper, monthly view, daily view, with room for lots of notes. I think a bullet journal might be the only way I get precisely what I do want without all the extras that I may enjoy looking at but don't need. 

I really love my bullet journal! One of the best things about it is that I am not locked into a layout. If I get a new idea, need something different, just want to try something on a whim, etc., I can do it. I'm not locked into the same thing all the time. It really suits my desire to customize exactly what I want! :-)

I use a Leuchtturm 1917 dot grid notebook, some colored pens, and even some stickers and do whatever I want. :)

My favorite bullet journaler is Kara at Boho Berry! She has a blog, a You Tube channel, and an Etsy shop. :D

• Like 2

Plum Paper! They're endlessly customizable and now have a homeschooling add on.

I owned a Plum Paper a few years ago, and I loved it except that the 7x9 format was too small for homeschool planning BUT they now have a homeschool planner in the large size.

I went with Simple Plan this year, and I love it. So much space, but I know it's not a good fit for the OP.

I've owned many planners and my favorite is my Filofax. I get insets off Etsy to do exactly what I want and it is classy enough that I don't feel silly pulling it out at meetings. Plus, after 2 years it still smells like leather.

My current favorite planner is from tiny.com.au (they do have a US site as well.)  I like the way each page is organised in columns.  You can choose to have dates across the top or down the left hand side.  You personalise it to your won specs.  I chose 6 columns, one for each of us in the family + one for me work hours.  Even though my dc are now mostly grown I like to jot down when they will be home or where they are currently as all 3 dc travel a lot for work or pleasure.  I have the A5 size as I wanted it to fit in my bag.  If I was still HSing I would get the bigger A4 size as well to use as my teacher's planner or an A5 for each dc to use for planning / recording their lessons.

JMHO