Menu

Would you buy from Thirft Store if you did not have to?

I was watching the Duggars the other day, and wondering, after all the media and money I believe they are making, why are they shopping at a Thrift Store?

Truly, they can afford Walmart or Target. Dh and I were debating last night and I am still not clear. If they have the money, why do they continue to shop like that, is it habit? What about the other families who really need the items from the thrift store?

Confused,

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what would motivate the Duggars. But me, yes, I would continue, even if I had bucketloads of money. I feel strongly that reusing clothes, even other people's, has a positive impact on our world -- waste, shipping, all that stuff.

And besides, there's the thrill of the chase, and the find, you know!

Those are great perspectives, but if you leave the stuff is that not donating, in a way, and can you find the thrill at a sale anywhere?

I think they are entitled to shop where they choose, but I just think of those places for people who are in need. Am I wrong?

I was watching the Duggars the other day, and wondering, after all the media and money I believe they are making, why are they shopping at a Thrift Store?

Truly, they can afford Walmart or Target. Dh and I were debating last night and I am still not clear. If they have the money, why do they continue to shop like that, is it habit? What about the other families who really need the items from the thrift store?

Confused,

I'm more than a little.....baffled? at your question.

First, I'm surprised at the assumptions made about their income.:confused:

Second, shopping at thrift stores can be a frugal *lifestyle* and certainly reduces the footprint and consumerism of a group. I wonder why you assume thrift store shopping is temporary? Why the assumption that the next step = Walmart or Target? Indeed, you can get better quality (used) clothes for less at some thrift stores than new from either discount store you mention.

Is a thrift store designed for "needy" families? Where is the income verification, the criteria, the written "who qualifies" policy?

Many thrift stores *here* are for charity; their profits go to local concerns and families in need. A case could be made that more people *should* shop at them.

I'm not enamored with the Duggars (although their no debt lifestyle makes sense to me) but I don't understand your thinking behind thrift store shopping.

Confused,

Do you think people should buy the most expensive clothes they can afford? Should I dress my kids in Hannah Anderson instead of shopping at Ross- and leave the clothes at Ross for the people who "need" them?

It's all about supply and demand. The more people who shop at Thrift stores, the more thrift stores there will be. I shop at Thrift stores (in addition to other places.) You can get better quality merchandise for a better price than Target and Wal-mart clothes. I could afford to buy more expensive clothes, but I would rather save my money for vacations. ;)

We shop used for almost everything we buy. It isn't a question of what we can afford, it is more a question of what we believe. We always try and reuse before buying new, that includes clothing, books, toys, cars, houses, etc. We try not to support a materialist culture nor instill materialism in our children. We find it a waste of money to buy new. And we LOVE to thrift shop. We love garage sales, using things given away by others who are done with them, trading items, exchanging services, etc. It is really a lifestyle choice. :)

I do, always have, and always will. My parents, who are quite well-off financially, have always shopped at thrift stores, too.

Thrift stores do not exist to serve the poor and needy. They exist to offer a less expensive alternative to whoever wants to shop there, be that a low-income or high-income shopper. And not all thrift stores are inexpensive like Goodwill and Salvation Army...the thrift stores near the Main Line in Philadelphia are pricey!

My kids love shopping at thrift stores. Know why? Because they've learned that they can get the same name-brand stuff that their friends are wearing for pennies on the dollar. My dd just picked up a cashmere sweater at Salvation Army for $1.35. Why should she go out and spend $120 on the same sweater from a retail store? Salvation Army was glad to have her business.

Ria

I'm more than a little.....baffled? at your question.

First, I'm surprised at the assumptions made about their income.:confused:

Second, shopping at thrift stores can be a frugal *lifestyle* and certainly reduces the footprint and consumerism of a group. I wonder why you assume thrift store shopping is temporary? Why the assumption that the next step = Walmart or Target? Indeed, you can get better quality (used) clothes for less at some thrift stores than new from either discount store you mention.

Is a thrift store designed for "needy" families? Where is the income verification, the criteria, the written "who qualifies" policy?

Many thrift stores *here* are for charity; their profits go to local concerns and families in need. A case could be made that more people *should* shop at them.

I'm not enamored with the Duggars (although their no debt lifestyle makes sense to me) but I don't understand your thinking behind thrift store shopping.

I must be totally, wrong about Thrift stores, I always thought of them as for people who need the items. It is definitely changing my perception, because when I donate items, my thinking is the items are going to people in need, not people looking to get a deal. Which if is the case, I will give to people I know need it, and not charity Thrift stores.

And, yes not to be argumentative, but the Duggars I am sure are making good money, even with 18 kids. They are frugal in many ways.

I dont think there any criteria for Thrift stores, I just always thought that they are there when you need them.

I am probably totally wrong, and not trying to make judgements, just trying to understand a little better.

I do shop at thrift stores and I don't have to. Many of the clothes are better quality than Target or Walmart, it's a responsible use of our money, and it's good stewardship. I have never noticed a shortage of clothes at Goodwill so I'm not worried about taking them from the truly "needy."

Kris

Those are great perspectives, but if you leave the stuff is that not donating, in a way, and can you find the thrill at a sale anywhere?

I think they are entitled to shop where they choose, but I just think of those places for people who are in need. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. Dead wrong. ETA: That said, often the organizations do help people. Goodwill, for example, employs many handicapped people so that they can actually be gainfully employed. Donating clothes to them helps them raise money and give people jobs.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Do you think people should buy the most expensive clothes they can afford? Should I dress my kids in Hannah Anderson instead of shopping at Ross- and leave the clothes at Ross for the people who "need" them?

It's all about supply and demand. The more people who shop at Thrift stores, the more thrift stores there will be. I shop at Thrift stores (in addition to other places.) You can get better quality merchandise for a better price than Target and Wal-mart clothes. I could afford to buy more expensive clothes, but I would rather save my money for vacations. ;)

I totally agree with Pam. However, in my family, we would substitute 'to give to others in need' for the part in bold in the quote. This is a very important way of living for us, and one we stress constantly to our dc. I do admit, it is quite a challenge, both to live it fully and to teach it in sincerty and love. It not only applies to clothing, but every single thing we spend money, time, or other resources on.

I feel strongly that reusing clothes, even other people's, has a positive impact on our world -- waste, shipping, all that stuff.

I agree strongly with this. I don't think there is a shortage of used clothes in the US. Thrift stores are overflowing with clothes, yard sales are always overflowing with clothes, and most people's closets are overflowing with clothes. If anything, we (as a people) have too many clothes. I really don't think that buying used clothes is somehow taking them out of the hands of someone who really needs them.

I must be totally, wrong about Thrift stores, I always thought of them as for people who need the items. It is definitely changing my perception, because when I donate items, my thinking is the items are going to people in need, not people looking to get a deal. Which if is the case, I will give to people I know need it, and not charity Thrift stores.

And, yes not to be argumentative, but the Duggars I am sure are making good money, even with 18 kids. They are frugal in many ways.

I dont think there any criteria for Thrift stores, I just always thought that they are there when you need them.

I am probably totally wrong, and not trying to make judgements, just trying to understand a little better.

I think often the MONEY goes to those who need it. I don't really buy clothes in thrift stores but I do buy books. I often donate stuff though and I always make sure that I donate to a charity I agree with. Often the items don't go to those in need but rather the money the items raise are used for various projects that the charity runs.

Yes, I think you are wrong.

Perhaps they are "for" people who are careful with their money? And yes, I agree with a another poster who said that the quality if OFTEN better at the thrift stores. I get most all of my dc's clothes at the local thrift stores. Hopefully, the money we save on not spending it on more expensive and maybe poorer quality clothes can be used more productively.

Remember back when more frugal folks became "wealthy" because they were careful with how every dime was spent??

Kim

Your donations to the thrift store are sold to whoever will buy them. The money is then used to help folks in need. At least that is how it works at the Salvation Army.

We do most of our shopping at thrift stores and DH makes enough to keep us comfortable. We love the Goodwill Bookstore in our town!!

You should check one out sometime. You might be surprised at how thrifty you feel. I see donating to thrift stores and buying at thrift stores as being part of the same charitable spirit.

Edited by Daisy

Wow, I am clueless and floored. I must live in a bubble, because I can respect being frugal and buying at the best price(things are tight, but I look for sales and save for clothes and shoes), but I truly thought those stores were for people in need. If not, where do they shop? Are we taking away from them by purchasing these low cost items?

These are really wonderful eye opening perspectives, I am glad you all are chiming in.

Wow. First, here thrift stores often *fund* direct charity. In other words, Christian organizations (often organized in interdenominational community) operate thrift stores for profit in order to provide food banks, free clothes, books, school supplies, Christmas gifts and other assistance to local families in need.

Even if not, thrift stores were created for frugality; not limited to "needy" families.

I can't comment on how much they make - or not. I remain baffled that your understanding of second hand stores has been......inaccurate.

I admire frugal.

Wow, I am clueless and floored. I must live in a bubble, because I can respect being frugal and buying at the best price(things are tight, but I look for sales and save for clothes and shoes), but I truly thought those stores were for people in need. If not, where do they shop? Are we taking away from them by purchasing these low cost items?

These are really wonderful eye opening perspectives, I am glad you all are chiming in.

Jet, you need to go to a thrift store, lol. They are overflowing with clothes. OVERFLOWING. And as to where low-income families shop, probably WalMart and Target. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead at Walmart, but you'll have a hard time keeping me out of a thrift store.

Ria

1) If they are at that level of need, they have access to thrift store items through the organization running the store.

2) There is usually not a shortage of thrift store donations; clothes, shoes, household goods.

3) It was never intended that non "needy" people be excluded from shopping there.

I like going on the hunt for old books, videos, 10cent unused coloring books and on occasion stride ride or ked shoes in near mint condition. I don't have to shop there. I never thought it was wrong for me or that it would be just for people in need. I have lots of friends an dacquaintences with money who frequent thrift stores for toys and games when they can very well afford to go anywhere and purchase those things. Aren't most thrift stores ran by not for profit organizations and depend on money from the sale of their items

I must be totally, wrong about Thrift stores, I always thought of them as for people who need the items. It is definitely changing my perception, because when I donate items, my thinking is the items are going to people in need, not people looking to get a deal.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of thrift stores. They are generally operated for charity. The *profits* they make from selling entirely donated items go to support various charitable efforts and provide for people in need. Some provide jobs for people who would otherwise be unemployable, others fund health care, clothing, food, educational supplies...

When you give donations to a thrift store like Goodwill or the Salvation Army, you *are* supporting people in need. When you buy from thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army, you *are* supporting people in need. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a one-to-one trade, that the shoes you handed in are going to someone who qualifies for free school lunches. In many cases, that does happen, because people with few resources shop at those places for things they couldn't afford elsewhere. But even if the shoes you donated go to a family that makes $100K a year, the $5 they paid for those shoes goes toward the charitable work of the organization running the thrift store.

No, we do not take away from people in need when we shop there. In fact, there are many places around here that give out free clothes to those who need it (and even there anyone may show up. You do not have to show ' need'.) Plenty of 'needy' people shop at thrift shops, I am sure. Remember that the proceeds of the charity thrift shops helps people in need. When you shop at a thrift shop, you are helping. Next time you are in a thrift shop, just ask a worker how does the thrift shop help those in need.

Confused,

Better selection. Already pre-shrunk. Rather spend the money on a book. Know the checkers personally. Exposes kiddo to not only how the other half lives, but how to be a happy college student/young adult AND all the exciting knickknacks, like a Dutch wooden shoe with a beer ad on in I used to see in Holland back in the 60's (and yes, I bought it).

As for "other families", I give more than I buy.

I truly did not mean to offend or make any judgements , just needed some clarification.

Thank you again, I think I understand.

Jet,

I can understand how a person can see a sign like "Salvation Army Thrift Store" and think that the store is for needy people to shop at. Many people's experience is w/ SA is thru the collection bell ringers at Christmas. I can see how a person can think SA collects money for the needy and SA runs a store for the needy.

I think that each household has it's priorities and financial pressures that are frankly no one's business. Even though I live in an upscale neighborhood, drive a fairly new van, and have DH who makes decent money, his medical bills are running us into the ground. Despite appearances, we'd never make it without thrift stores, Angel Food, and yes, times when friends have given us hand-me-downs and food when we were truly broke. You really don't know what priorities and expenses the Duggars have either. Maybe buying at thrift stores allows them to do something they couldn't afford otherwise. Keep in mind too that being on TV doesn't mean that you're rich. I know several people that have been on reality shows, and it's not all that it seems.

There are indeed places where people with documented need go for free/discounted food and clothing. A local church runs one in our area, and you have to bring proof that you're receiving food stamps, unemployment, disability payments, etc. in order to shop there. The local food bank provides free groceries, but you have to provide the same documentation. I've even heard that the Salvation Army requires documentation to continue to receive help from them past a certain point. With DH's income level, we'd never quality for these things, so I'm thankful that there are places where I go without qualification to save money.

Yes and no.

They are for people in general and people in need shop there as well.

I must be totally, wrong about Thrift stores, I always thought of them as for people who need the items.

most frugal people try to only buy the things they "need".

most people in need find themselves needing to be frugal

people who don't live frugal tend to find themselves in more need than it if they did

it a cycle thing.

It is definitely changing my perception, because when I donate items, my thinking is the items are going to people in need, not people looking to get a deal. Which if is the case, I will give to people I know need it, and not charity Thrift stores.

:confused:If you personally know someone in "need" - then why wouldn't you give directly to them? That's what I do. Whenever I have something I no longer need, the first thing I do is call around to see if there are those I know who could benefit from it. If not, then I donate it or sell it as I feel best.

I feel our family is a family in "need". (the gov't would agree by the way based on dh's income level), but I still find ways to give. For example, we just went through our winter clothes and foudn that my 4 yr old has about 14 garbage bags full of hand me downs in awesome condition. Which is great for him, but he can only wear one or two outfits a day, kwim? So we dropped off a ton of clothes at Good Will and we also went shopping for the older kids that didn't have hardly anything to get the through the winter. It saved us a fortune. The same amount of clothes at Walmart or some such store would have been well over $400 and we abstoluely do not have even half that kind of money right now.

The great thing is the money we spent at goodwill goes to help other needy people too.

Oh and those that are far worse off than me, and I'm well aware that I am no where near the worst off, get vouchers when they go to charities to help them make purchases. For example, when I volunteer as Catholic Charities I see that those more needy than myself can get vouchers to take to such places as Goodwill to get clothes or whatever. And needy mothers can go to Madonna House and "shop" the donations for items they need, diapers, cradles, ect...

If people don't shop places like Goodwill, then they don't make funds to assist people.

The Duggars believe in 'buying used and saving the difference' That is one way they have been able to live without debt. Sure they may make good money but if they were to go and buy everyone new clothes, even at wal-mart, that money would go fast. They are very smart when it comes to their finances. Mr. Duggar said on the last episode that people are always asking him how the live debt free, and he says he doesn't know how people live with debt when you end up paying 20-30% more in long run. I have learned a lot from there lifestyle and agree with much of what they say. It's just too bad they weren't on TV 5 years ago before we got ourselves into the big mess we are in right now.

been buying from thrift shops for years and it was because I was raised with a sense of frugality. But that being said, given that our family is well below the poverty line now (dh has been unemployed for 8 months), I have to buy from the thrift shops if I want clothes (either that or look on freecycle).

There is nothing wrong with buying from thrift shops -- some shops exist to help make money for charities (in which case support them by buying from them because the more you buy the more you are donating) and another shop I know exists to line their own pocket and either way I'm very glad they exist. At either shop I buy my clothes from there and donate the ones we are done with.

And there's no way to tell who is buying from there out of a sense of need or because they want to or whatever the reason. And so when I see people driving up in the their parking lot with a brand new Lexus I make no judgments. Plus, how am I to decide what income "deserves" to shop there? That could get very difficult. Plus I agree with the others I'd much rather buy a LL Bean shirt from a thrift shop than spend the same money at Walmart because it will last much longer.

Okay. Newbie is asking an honest, wanting-to-know kind of question. Why the snotty "I'm so baffled, I can't possibly understand your thinking" multiple posts from certain people? Obviously, she's willing to learn. How about expending a little more charity in her direction as you self-congratulate on your superior thinking? Dang, that's irritating. :ack2:

I've always shopped at thrift stores. Even when both dh and I were employed and money was not so much of an issue. I don't have to shop at thrift stores, but i can't see spending so much money on something that will used after a week of my buying it. I like recycling.

Janet

I would, I shop at a combination of thrift shops, consignment stores, wal-mart and children's clothing shops (looking for sales) now and can't see me changing my ways very quickly even if I had a ton of money. I can not even fathom the thought of buying full priced children's clothing, when they are going to out grow it in a few months, or wear out the knees in a week (how on earth do littl eboys do that anyway). For myself, I rarely buy new clothes for me from thrift shops or anywhere else, so that doesn't matter. Books, toys, and furniture I love buying at thrift shops. Books brand new are expensive (think 25-50% more than in the states), toys they get tired of quickly then I redonate them back to the shop, and furniture, well that one I simply can't afford new, but always need more bookshelves, little tables, lamps, dressers etc.

I can not see changing my shopping habits just because I have more money. AND no matter how much money I had coming in, there is now way I could afford to reoutfit my kids every couple months when they grew another inch, or wore out the knees etc if I had that many kids. Even now I couldn't afford to do it with only 4 of them.

In my small community, the Thrift Store has an annual winter clothes sale for kids. Shopping for those kinds of things is very competitive and I believe that ethically those who are better off should wait until the end of the sale before they go. My family goes at the end of the day because if we don't get great winter boots we can easily buy them new.

So I do think that we should be sensitive to the situation in the community around us.

I also believe that some "Thrift Stores" are actually related to major retailers and reap corporate profits off donations so I'm careful to give to ones that aren't in that category.

Okay. Newbie is asking an honest, wanting-to-know kind of question. Why the snotty "I'm so baffled, I can't possibly understand your thinking" multiple posts from certain people? Obviously, she's willing to learn. How about expending a little more charity in her direction as you self-congratulate on your superior thinking? Dang, that's irritating. :ack2:

When you are trying to point out to people that you think they are being rude, you might want to avoid name-calling. Methinks you are putting yourself in the same boat as those you criticize.

In my small community, the Thrift Store has an annual winter clothes sale for kids. Shopping for those kinds of things is very competitive and I believe that ethically those who are better off should wait until the end of the sale before they go. My family goes at the end of the day because if we don't get great winter boots we can easily buy them new.

So I do think that we should be sensitive to the situation in the community around us..

This is true. I didn't think of that because because there are 8 thrift stores in my small-ish town.

I also believe that some "Thrift Stores" are actually related to major retailers and reap corporate profits off donations so I'm careful to give to ones that aren't in that category.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any of those around here, but I'll check- I would rather shop at a thrift store that donated profits to a useful organization. I donate to and shop at a humane society thrift store.

Yes, I would and I do.

It's not taking from the needy anymore than buying something on a sale rack is taking from the needy.

The thrift stores around here are operated by: Salvation Army, the local PTA, some groups that employ mentally ill people (the shops offer those people employment), Habitat for Humanity, and a local group of churches. Whenever I patronize one of those thrift stores, the profit they make goes directly to that group that is running the thrift shop. Additionally, there are consignment shops that are plain old "for profit" for the owners.

I don't think that Walmart is a step up from a thrift store. You can get clothing of much higher quality at thrift shops.

If you want to shop at thrift shops, I think you can do it with a clean conscience-- no one operating them thinks they are only for the needy. Unless you pay top dollar retail for everything, every time you order a used item on amazon or ebay, purchase something used on the sale boards here, or buy something on sale, that item is now not available for someone who could well be needier than you are. So the logic would tend to hamstring you everywhere.

My dc even chant this! Our thrift store purchases represent far more than just saving money (actually, sometimes I can get stuff same price/cheaper at Ross). It's about trying to reduce and reuse that which has already been produced. We are huge on extending this to as much of our daily lives as possible.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Yes, I would. But maybe not as often.

I think of a thrift store as a glorified yard sale put on by a charitable organization with the proceeds being used to help others and provide employment opportunities. I feel no compunction against shopping at yard sales.

I've never heard it said that thrift stores were only for the poor.

So I do think that we should be sensitive to the situation in the community around us.

This is what I was trying to convey, now after hearing all the thoughtful posts which I appreciate, I have a different view on Thrift Stores, from now on I will give straight to families in need or find small organizations that I know will give them to families in need. Some of these larger conglomerates have lost the smaller picture for what they were intended.

This is just my belief, but thank you for opening my eyes.

This is what I was trying to convey, now after hearing all the thoughtful posts which I appreciate, I have a different view on Thrift Stores, from now on I will give straight to families in need or find small organizations that I know will give them to families in need. Some of these larger conglomerates have lost the smaller picture for what they were intended.

Yes, this is the best way to help out someone in need! Cut out the middle man. In my town there is a charity you can donate to that distributes clothing to the needy. That would be another good way to help a needy family.

The thrift stores in my area raise money for various charities, or are independently owned. And, as I said earlier, there are lots of them- so I never thought of thrift store being specifically for needy people! Thanks for broadening my perspective.

I am frugal by nature and believe in recycling. My dc have also figured out that their dollars go farther at the thrift store. The truely wealthy (think Sam Walton) are frugul, drive used cars, shop at thrift stores, use things up, wear them out and generally get the good out of them. It's a way of life. :)

You might want to check in with the organizations in your area, because depending on where you live, the clothing might not be the thing that people need the most. I used to work as the manager of the referral (and volunteer) network for a local nonprofit. People were ALWAYS calling and asking where they could donate clothes, to the point where many of our member organizations wouldn't accept those donations anymore. On the flip side, people in need were ALWAYS calling for help with the utility bills and things that required actual cash in hand, and far fewer of the organizations could help those people. I think the point many people are trying to make is that most thrift stores turn the clothes into cash to help people in myriad other ways. Around here, at least, people can almost always get clothes via Freecycle. They can't get money to help pay their bills that way.

Of course, this varies depending on your area. I'm just saying that you shouldn't consider thrift stores as serving only people who want to save a buck, because if it wasn't for people who want to save a buck, the charitable organizations behind the thrift stores wouldn't be able to serve the people who need things other than clothing.

Gee, up until this point I didn't think anyone was being snotty. :confused:

I used to shop at thrift stores a lot, but haven't lately. I'm not a big shopper, though. I try to pick up cloths for DS at garage sales. I watch JCPenney's ads, and on weekends I can usually get clothing at 50-70% off.

I donate everything to the Epilepsy Foundation for two reasons:

1) I live in a small town, and they come down from the Twin Cities a few times a year and have curbside pickup.

2) My son has epilepsy, and I cannot think of a better cause for our family. Second on my list is the DAV. Third is Salvation Army.

I would have no problem buying at any of these stores, because I know it is the money they earn by selling that is used to support their cause. :001_smile:

But regardless of whether the people who shop at thrift stores "need" to shop there (in your opinion), the thrift store makes money on the sales. So your donations help that charity (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.). I supose if you know someone personally who needs something you have, by all means, give it to them (makes sense to me). But don't feel bad for donating them to Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc., just because you think the people who end up buying them don't "need" them. The charity still benefits. And so does the environment.

Wendi