Menu

? for those using Natural Calm

mlktwins

I am trying to use Natural Calm daily, but have only tried the unflavored version, which I don't like.  I have to add some juice or hot tea with sugar to get it down.

I need to order another bottle and Amazon has an orange and a raspberry/lemon flavored.  Are either of these any good so that I would not need to add a sugary drink to get it down :-)?

Thanks so much!

I like the Raspberry Lemon

I put about 1/4 hot water into a mug then add the Natural Calm-- when it is finished bubbling/foaming I add a bit of cold water then down in. (still not great, more like hot lemon water but still fine without adding sugar or juice).

For other posters-- the liquid form is faster/easier to absorb than a capsule or tablet.

I also take a tablet calcium/magnesium supplement-- but I have restless legs at night and the Natural Calm does WONDERS for that.

I can't take a soaking bath every night-- plus you really do need the calcium/magnesium combination to balance things out.

• Like 2

I dissolve some in a shot glass (it takes a few minutes, but with my nighttime routine it's easier than heating up water), drink it, and chase it with water. I don't want to have to taste the stuff for a whole glass of water, and at bedtime I don't want to mask the flavor with anything else.

My bedside table looks really questionable when I don't clean it for a few days. :lol:

• Like 6

I like the Raspberry Lemon

I put about 1/4 hot water into a mug then add the Natural Calm-- when it is finished bubbling/foaming I add a bit of cold water then down in. (still not great, more like hot lemon water but still fine without adding sugar or juice).

For other posters-- the liquid form is faster/easier to absorb than a capsule or tablet.

I also take a tablet calcium/magnesium supplement-- but I have restless legs at night and the Natural Calm does WONDERS for that.

I can't take a soaking bath every night-- plus you really do need the calcium/magnesium combination to balance things out.

This is how I take it.

I've only had it a few days so have not had much experience with it. The first night I didn't have any leg cramps - a common problem for me even when taking the tablets.  But I did wake up with a terrible panic attack in the night!  So that was not great. (ETA: Of course I don't know that the natural calm caused it.  I don't frequently have panic attacks in the night, and it was pretty severe.  Probably a bad coincidence.)

The second and third nights, I had no leg cramp and no panics. So that was good.

But I just bought a new bottle of 200mg tablets, so I might do half tablets with half doses of the powder.   I guess it does make sense that the powder absorbs more easily than a tablet.  

Edited by marbel

PSA:

If you don't like the taste of Natural Calm then never *ever* try Doctor's Best magnesium powder.

It is the *most* vile thing I have ever tasted.

Some people just handle the taste because it works better for them than Calm but I haven't been able to choke it down enough to see if it works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016KO48Y8/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Just curious, those using NC -- what do you take it for (besides RLS)? I was taking it a year ago post-surgery (as a laxative) but I am curious if it's actually calming. 

Mainly for the magnesium. For some people, mag is calming and I always take mine in the evening but I really cannot say if it would be noticeably calming. But one has to be careful because it can have a laxative effect.

Just curious, those using NC -- what do you take it for (besides RLS)? I was taking it a year ago post-surgery (as a laxative) but I am curious if it's actually calming. 

It really helps me sleep, especially if I'm pregnant. It helps keep my muscles from twitching, which can wake me up if I'm sleeping lightly.

It also made my periods lighter.

This is how I take it.

I've only had it a few days so have not had much experience with it. The first night I didn't have any leg cramps - a common problem for me even when taking the tablets.  But I did wake up with a terrible panic attack in the night!  So that was not great. (ETA: Of course I don't know that the natural calm caused it.  I don't frequently have panic attacks in the night, and it was pretty severe.  Probably a bad coincidence.)

The second and third nights, I had no leg cramp and no panics. So that was good.

But I just bought a new bottle of 200mg tablets, so I might do half tablets with half doses of the powder.   I guess it does make sense that the powder absorbs more easily than a tablet.

When I tried it, I had weird vivid dreams. I know many people who have had great success with it and it helps them relax and get a good night's sleep, but I wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

Thanks all!  The raspberry/lemon came in the mail today.  I'll be giving it a try tonight before bed :-)!!!

For me, I sleep better and it helps keep things moving (if you know what I mean).  I will have to pay attention to the RLS symptoms and see if they improve.  It has also helped me with headaches.

I'll report back my thoughts on the taste tomorrow!

I take it at night and I mix it with some powdered crystal light. If you don't like splenda or whatever the heck it is they put in that, then it won't work for you. But it works for me.

I take 1 teaspoon of the plain in 2 cups warm water first thing in the morning. It tastes like hot lemon water to me, well as tart as 2 cups of water with the juice of 1 lemon, so not very tart.  I take 2 teaspoons in 2 cups of cold water with some powdered crystal light (lemonaid or decaf iced tea flavoured etc) before bed at the same time as some other vitamins.

I find it helps me sleep and also stopped the heart flutters I was having. I paired it with taurine first thing in the morning and together they have had a MAJOR effect on my previously snappish behaviour. I am a much nicer peri menopausal person with those two things. Trust me.

When I tried it, I had weird vivid dreams. I know many people who have had great success with it and it helps them relax and get a good night's sleep, but I wasn't one of them.

I couldn't take it either. I dealt with a few months of terrible insomnia, which has never happened to me, and it took me awhile to finally figure out it was the Natural Calm. It seems to help most sleep better, but I wasnt one of them either. In my research I found out I wasn't the only one. I stopped taking it and within a few days my sleep patterns returned to normal.

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 2

I couldn't take it either. I dealt with a few months of terrible insomnia, which has never happened to me, and it took me awhile to finally figure out it was the Natural Calm. It seems to help most sleep better, but I wasnt one of them either. In my research I found out I wasn't the only one. I stopped taking it and within a few days my sleep patterns returned to normal.

Same here. I can't take it regularly. I do keep it around, though, to take occasionally to help with certain issues (migraines, constipation). I've only tried the raspberry lemon flavor. It's not great but certainly tolerable. 

OP here again :-).  The raspberry/lemon is pretty good and I'm able to drink it without any issues.  I am playing around with how much water I use, whether it is better hot or cold, etc., but at least I am able to take it regularly.  As a PP suggested, I am also going to try it with soda water for the fizz :-) .  We shall see.

• Like 1

My mother got me started on the raspberry lemon flavor which she mixes with raspberry Emergen C. Dissolve a tsp of Natural Calm in a small amount of hot water, fill the rest of the glass with cold water and mix a packet of Emergen C, add ice and it's great. She mixes one packet of truvia in hers but that's too sweet for me.

For those of you with restless leg, I find the homeopathic sublingual tablets by Hyland's called Restful Legs really help. My dh gets a severe leg cramp once in a while and dissolves a couple of their leg cramp tablets and they work right away somehow.

I used up my samples and I won't be buying any.  Though "they" say Natural Calm works better than tablets, I haven't found it to be so.  My sleep is terrible when I take it.   I'm back to the monster tablets!  I still get leg cramps either way. 

OP, glad you found something that works for you!