Menu

Would you keep paying for this....? music lessons related

My 13 yo dd loves her guitar lessons but...she can't sing...

She's a terrible singer....of course with much practice and a little help she has definitely improved.  

But, to me 1000.00 per year for this seems like wasted money.  I felt like it was awesome when she played piano and always had something beautiful to entertain people with and it even sounded lovely in the background.  Now, I mostly feel like it's painful all day long, and since she has never ever been a good singer (at all), I wonder if I should keep paying for it.

She wants to continue, but money doesn't grow on trees and I wonder, when does a parent ever say, "you know, I think the money is better going to [art or whatever]...."

Also, being one that doesn't like to focus hard, or sit still, and ENFP she hated piano.  So, no going back there unfortunately.

Edited by Calming Tea

Wait, you are talking about guitar not singing lessons, right?  What does it matter if she can't sing?  If she loves guitar, and wants to continue, I wouldn't dump guitar just because she can't sing.  Not everyone that plays guitar sings.  In fact, a local band I used to love had a great guitarist but he couldn't sing at all.  He worked in Broadcast TV but he loved to play guitar.  He played in the band for fun on the side and really enjoyed the creative outlet.  :)

Now if paying for guitar lessons means you can't put food on the table or something else along those lines, then maybe self teaching would work for now.  

• Like 4

Wait, you are talking about guitar not singing lessons, right?  What does it matter if she can't sing?  If she loves guitar, and wants to continue, I wouldn't dump guitar just because she can't sing.  Not everyone that plays guitar sings.  In fact, a local band I used to love had a great guitarist but he couldn't sing at all.  He worked in Broadcast TV but he loved to play guitar.  He played in the band for fun on the side and really enjoyed the creative outlet.   :)

Now if paying for guitar lessons means you can't put food on the table or something else along those lines, then maybe self teaching would work for now.  

I wish.  She has no interest in instrumental, or classical, only pop songs with singing. 

So really the problem is that you are struggling with having to hear her sing?   :) I sympathize but honestly if she loves guitar and you can afford it I would find a way to suck it up and let her keep going.

FWIW, my brother couldn't carry a tune to save his life but he loved to sing.  Turns out he is really good at creating lyrics.  He just can't carry a tune.  No worries.  I loved his lyrics.  I just sang louder than he did so others could hear the tune.   :)

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Well, why are you paying for the lessons in the first place?  Is it so she can entertain guests or provide nice background music for the family at home?  Is it to achieve a certain standard of singing and playing?  If you are saying you'd rather pay for art lessons, would those be so she can become an accomplished artist?

If it is one of those things, you should take some time to determine her aptitude before paying for lessons.  Maybe she is better at sewing or speed skating or something, I don't know.  

If it is just to improve her skill at an activity she enjoys, I think your money is well spent as is.

• Like 2

So really the problem is that you are struggling with having to hear her sing?   :) I sympathize but honestly if she loves guitar and you can afford it I would find a way to suck it up and let her keep going.

FWIW, my brother couldn't carry a tune to save his life but he loved to sing.  Turns out he is really good at creating lyrics.  He just can't carry a tune.  No worries.  I loved his lyrics.  I just sang louder than he did so others could hear the tune.   :)

Correct. LOL

• Like 1

Well, why are you paying for the lessons in the first place?  Is it so she can entertain guests or provide nice background music for the family at home?  Is it to achieve a certain standard of singing and playing?  If you are saying you'd rather pay for art lessons, would those be so she can become an accomplished artist?

If it is one of those things, you should take some time to determine her aptitude before paying for lessons.  Maybe she is better at sewing or speed skating or something, I don't know.  

If it is just to improve her skill at an activity she enjoys, I think your money is well spent as is.

Great Question...

This is hard with her, because she is a person without a lot of serious focus, who enjoys trying new things.  It seems hard to pay for something she will never likely excel at, when I am already paying for several other things she will never likely excel at, all just because it's nice and fun.  In fact, I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to rush out and sign her up for anything expensive or that requires a lot of driving time and stress from me because I know how she is.  She will try it for 6 months and tire of it, and I will have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of driving hours....maybe not for nothing, but not for a good reason at this point.  She is old enough that she has spent many months or years in each of dance, piano, flute, gynmastics, art classes, swimming teams, Multi-Sport programs, and more.  

She is a good artist, good at drawing, good at painting (much much better than average) and yet- these are the things she refuses to take a class in! I don't understand.  Oh, and she was excellent at piano but absolutely refuses to go back to it.  

Contrast to my son, who only does a few things at a time, sticks with them for years and years and meets people, excels and really, I don't know, accomplishes something.

With her, an ENFP, the whole world is her playground and it's just all about having the fun with the minimum effort, especially long term.  Even her most favorite hobbies, she doesn't want to read a book, watch a website, or bother- she wants to do it when she is in the mood, her way, whether that involves any actual self improvement or not.  I have two adult ENFP very close friends and they are the same way.  They enjoy variety in everything, but each of them did have one thing their MOMS made them do, that they are now still super good at now (one in sewing and the other in music)

I understand that not everything a kid does should be for "excelling."  It is healthy and very important to just enjoy hobbies, and know how to be busy, exercise ones' creativity, and entertain oneself. 

BUT it's just the "paying for it" part that I'm hung up on.  

But, you are right.   I'll see if I have the money in the budget next semester and as long as I do, she can continue.  It is enjoyable and enriching to play a musical instrument.   :)

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

My 13 yo dd loves her guitar lessons but...she can't sing...

She's a terrible singer....of course with much practice and a little help she has definitely improved.  

But, to me 1000.00 per year for this seems like wasted money.  I felt like it was awesome when she played piano and always had something beautiful to entertain people with and it even sounded lovely in the background.  Now, I mostly feel like it's painful all day long, and since she has never ever been a good singer (at all), I wonder if I should keep paying for it.

I don't understand. One can learn how to play the guitar without being able to sing, and one can use the guitar to "have something beautiful to entertain people with, and it will even sound lovely for background music" (not that I would use this a a criterion or goal for my kids' instrument lessons...)

If she enjoys learning to play the instrument, makes progress, and playing an instrument is something you consider valuable, why should she quit just because she can't sing???

• Like 1

This is hard with her, because she is a person without a lot of serious focus, who enjoys trying new things.  It seems hard to pay for something she will never likely excel at, when I am already paying for several other things she will never likely excel at, all just because it's nice and fun.  In fact, I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to rush out and sign her up for anything expensive or that requires a lot of driving time and stress from me because I know how she is.  She will try it for 6 months and tire of it, and I will have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of driving hours....maybe not for nothing, but not for a good reason at this point. 

But that's what being a child is about: trying out all those things to find out where your passion is and what feeds your soul! I do not consider an activity of less value just because my child "will never likely excel at it". Most people never excel at anything! Does that mean they should not try and learn?

I think trying different things is fabulous and enriching, and you simply have to set a budget that works for your family finances. Maybe it helps to change the mindset: you are not paying so she can become a star (this may never happen for most people) - you are paying because you consider it valuable that the child is engaged in this activity, and you can afford it financially to make that happen. (If you cant, you can't.) 

I have sung in choirs, taken voice lessons, played the guitar and the piano, written poetry, played theatre, rock climbed, taken tango lessons, and a bunch more things I have forgotten - because it was enjoyable and helped me grow as a person. Some things became lifelong passions, others were valid for a season and then I moved on, some thing ceased to be possible as seasons of my life changed. But never once did the thought "I might not excel at this" stop me from enjoying and trying. So I cannot wrap my mind around this idea that an activity is only valuable if it leads to great external success.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

You are misquoting me. I never said "an activity is ONLY valuable if it leads to great external success"  

What I said was, that it's hard to put great amounts of money and time into something when I feel it's highly likely she will give it up.  

I agree that taking many types of classes and lessons and trying diffreent things is not only part of childhood, it's even part of adulthood and it's fun and healthy.  Many of the healthiest people I know have several hobbies, not just one. :)

And you also didn't read the entire thread, because I said two posts before yours

"I understand that not everything a kid does should be for "excelling."  It is healthy and very important to just enjoy hobbies, and know how to be busy, exercise ones' creativity, and entertain oneself. 

But, you are right.   I'll see if I have the money in the budget next semester and as long as I do, she can continue.  It is enjoyable and enriching to play a musical instrument.    :)"  - me

Also, as to the singing unfortunately, according to her and her guitar teacher, the only point in playing this instrument is to sing with it.  I have encouraged numerous times to find songs that do not require singing, but that takes ALL the joy out of it for her, and so therefore would go against your (well taken) point that trying things one enjoys is a healthy human endeavor.  So if I accept that point (which I do, and always have), then I have to accept the singing with it. :)  

I have an idea, I should set a yearly "hobby and interest budget" for her.  :)

In this way, she can learn to budget her hobbies and interests, which is a good lesson even as an adult.  BEfore I try a new hobby, or buy a move or documentary, or a new book to read, I need to know if I can afford it, and if there are other options (use the library, check the community center, see if there's a more affordable bike at another Bike shop, etc.)

• Like 10

Also, as to the singing unfortunately, according to her and her guitar teacher, the only point in playing this instrument is to sing with it.  I have encouraged numerous times to find songs that do not require singing, but that takes ALL the joy out of it for her, and so therefore would go against your (well taken) point that trying things one enjoys is a healthy human endeavor.  So if I accept that point (which I do, and always have), then I have to accept the singing with it. :)

The bolded is simply incorrect. You might investigate different teachers. The entire genre of classical guitar is completely instrumental and does not involve singing. If you say "finding songs" that do not require singing, that is kind of an impossibility, but there is a wide range of instrumental guitar literature. 

I would actually question the value of a teacher who has such a narrow focus on the instrument.

• Like 4

If you can afford it, then I'd consider continuing letting her follow a passion. Learning to play (even if you have to listen to her sing) can be worthwhile in the future as she may continue to play without singing. Would you continue paying for guitar lessons if she wasn't singing along?

If's it's financially unreachable, then I think you say NO or you find a way for her to pay or for her to work for you to pay for it.

• Like 1

I have an idea, I should set a yearly "hobby and interest budget" for her. :)

I would start with monthly then quarterly then yearly budget unless your daughter is used to budgeting for other stuff.

My kids have tried 101 things. For DS11, everything looks interesting so he wants to try. For DS12, nothing is interesting enough so we keep making him try new things so he is aware of more choices.

I guess it is cheaper to try different things now then as a young adult. I tried many things all my life, luckily my only sibling is much younger so financially it was doable.

As for guitar playing, singing is not required. However, is your daughter viewing guitar playing as an accompaniment to her singing instead of the other way round? Would she like to sing and play her piano instead?

My DS12 view my piano as one of the many tools he can use for music composition. So he rejected piano lessons time and again even though his self taught playing is decent.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I have a child like this, who wants to do EVERYTHING. I agree that you should just set a time/money budget and let her choose how to spend it. Maybe if she sees other fun and exciting options, guitar playing (and singing), will fade away as in comes the next great hobby! See, you can rejoice that she changes her mind so much now, lol...

It will probably help your mindset if you just look at it as a flat enrichment budget that you would spend regardless of what she chooses.

• Like 1

These are all great ideas, and great encouragement.  We paid the entire semester for this guitar teacher, so we will see where they end up. There is another teacher with a good reputation very nearby.  

(My dd does not want to play classical or instrumental music...I have to dig deeper to find out if her teacher really is following her lead or really doesn't know any songs/types of fun music that don't require singing along. But he DID say, that most people sing with traditional guitar, and that it would be very hard to find her music that's not in the rock/pop genre that doesn't have singing along to it.)  

CaliforniaDreaming- yes I think part of it is my own mindset.  Seeing it as a hobby that she has chosen and inside the agreed-to budget will fix some of my issue.

Arcadia- I love the idea of doing it in shorter periods, because that is very wise.  We must work up to things. :)

If she has found an activity that she finds joy in doing, and she has a music teacher supporting her, that would be enough for me to support it.  I also LOVE to sing while I play piano, and for me it was the reason I kept playing the instrument as a kid. I still love singing and playing. I wouldn't focus too much on the quality of her vocals if she's learning to do two things at once, and has only been playing guitar for 6 months. It's not easy to do both well. I'm sure over time, both will improve. Some instruments take a lot more time before they sound "good." Violin and vocals are probably two of the most difficult instruments to produce quality sound and intonation (in tune). 

I totally understand about the money being tough to part with. I like your idea of having your dd prioritize the activities she really loves.

• Like 1

Wow, that seems like a pretty closed minded teacher.  Lots of people I know play guitar but don't sing or don't sing well.  What the heck?

As for setting a budget and helping her to learn how to work within that, sounds like a great idea!!!

FWIW, I have dear friend from college who had VERY limited funds for his kids a couple of years back.  His eldest daughter (13 at the time) had an extracurricular activity that she desperately wanted to try.  They did not have the money and the classes were not on a schedule where the parents could get her there.  Instead of simply saying "no", he told her he supported her interest in trying it out but they couldn't afford the classes at the place she had found, nor could they get her to the classes but if she could do the research to find another location with classes that would work within their budget and schedule, she could go.  He gave her an amount and a drive schedule.  She did the research.  She found another location, much cheaper, well within the budget.  However, getting there would be challenging.  She networked, found another girl she knew that also had wanted this activity.  She talked to the parents.  The parents of the other girl could drive both girls to the activity.  My friend or his wife would then be able to pick them up.  Investing her own time and effort to find a way to make it work was huge for her.  It made her feel like her dad and mom believed in her and really did want to support her.  (And she ended up being really, really good at this activity and has won awards.  She is still doing it 2 years later.)  

• Like 5

I love the monthly/yearly budget idea. Teaches more than one skill. I am the sort of person who lives to dabble in things (although by now I have several I have developed and continue to develop consistently). If you think she is likely to try and quit many things, that is probably not a personality trait that will leave her. The only way to manage it throughout life while enjoying all these adventurous learning experiences is to learn how to fit your whims into a sane budget.

So sorry you have to listen to bad singing lol. Parenting is so hard :)

• Like 1

I love the monthly/yearly budget idea. Teaches more than one skill. I am the sort of person who lives to dabble in things (although by now I have several I have developed and continue to develop consistently). If you think she is likely to try and quit many things, that is probably not a personality trait that will leave her. The only way to manage it throughout life while enjoying all these adventurous learning experiences is to learn how to fit your whims into a sane budget.

m

Thanks for understanding ! 😂

m

Thanks for understanding ! 😂

I guess this is sort of like when my brother and I decided to hone our comedic skills by constantly telling Dixie Cup Knock Knock jokes (does anyone remember those?) and having Mom buy new sets as they came out.  The hobby lasted months.  (Thankfully this was definitely cheaper than guitar lessons.).  Those jokes were soooo bad.  My poor parents.  Mom was fairly stoic about it but I think for Dad it was like nails on a chalkboard times 10.  He would get this strange, fairly stressed look on his face the minute either of us pulled out a Dixie Cup.  I'm sure he was desperately trying to keep from crushing every cup in the house.   :lol:

But yeah, if she loves guitar and can find a way to take lessons while staying in a budget, don't crush her interest because of her lack of a singing voice.  Just get skin colored ear plugs.  :)

• Like 2

If she tends to not stick with activities then chances are that this problem will resolve itself without you doing anything. In the meantime I would just be busy somewhere else when she is singing. It brings joy to her to sing and that has value in and of itself. I have a hard time with the thought of rejecting something wholesome that brings someone joy just because it doesn't meet your standards. If money is the issue as you said later then I agree that she can pay for it if it is something she values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

She is a good artist, good at drawing, good at painting (much much better than average) and yet- these are the things she refuses to take a class in! I don't understand. Oh, and she was excellent at piano but absolutely refuses to go back to it.

All you listed are creative expressions. Does she feel "boxed in" by classes? My husband feels lessons can be stifling so we have let our kids be self taught unless they asked for classes (group and/or individual). We did send them for ceramic classes because we are not interested in having a kiln or pottery wheel at home. My kids used to go to Cantor for their free family art class and my oldest would deviate from what was being taught, he is not a conformist when it comes to art.

The "paying for it" part we dealt with it by putting it under an annual music (academic) budget. My kids have tried most of the orchestra instruments. My friend has a piano and a marimba. The marimba is her oldest daughter's instrument and is in her child's bedroom so her child has a loft bed because where else to put a study table in the bedroom except under the loft bed.

• Like 1

You are misquoting me. I never said "an activity is ONLY valuable if it leads to great external success"

What I said was, that it's hard to put great amounts of money and time into something when I feel it's highly likely she will give it up.

I agree that taking many types of classes and lessons and trying diffreent things is not only part of childhood, it's even part of adulthood and it's fun and healthy. Many of the healthiest people I know have several hobbies, not just one. :)

And you also didn't read the entire thread, because I said two posts before yours

"I understand that not everything a kid does should be for "excelling." It is healthy and very important to just enjoy hobbies, and know how to be busy, exercise ones' creativity, and entertain oneself.

But, you are right. I'll see if I have the money in the budget next semester and as long as I do, she can continue. It is enjoyable and enriching to play a musical instrument. :)" - me

Also, as to the singing unfortunately, according to her and her guitar teacher, the only point in playing this instrument is to sing with it. I have encouraged numerous times to find songs that do not require singing, but that takes ALL the joy out of it for her, and so therefore would go against your (well taken) point that trying things one enjoys is a healthy human endeavor. So if I accept that point (which I do, and always have), then I have to accept the singing with it. :)

She sounds like my dd. She will mostly enthusiastically embrace almost anything but not excel. So there comes a point where cost/benefit has to come into play.

• Like 1

Learning, playing, and practicing an instrument has benefits totally separate from the actual instrument playing. It does things to the brain that other activities don't. I'd encourage her to keep playing whether or not she excels because of those benefits to the brain. 

• Like 2

I have a snarky inner response to this based upon the fact that I think a number of famous musicians have gained success despite lack of vocal talent. Incidentally, and totally unrelated, I suddenly feel like putting on some Bob Dylan. In any case, I think guitar lessons can be spaced further apart or even discontinued when the student is motivated enough to continue playing and practicing on her own with a stack of songbooks. But if the teacher is great and the weekly lessons a motivation to continue and practice, and if it causes joy in her life? Worth a lot of money, to me. (And if it's any comfort, listening to even someone with a beautiful voice, like one of my children, can become very tiresome when it's the same trilling vocal exercises and songs over and over and over. As a mother, you feel like that's never supposed to become annoying. But it does, as guilty as I feel for even feeling it, let alone sharing that unsavory fact about myself...)

• Like 2

I agree that the budget idea is great.

It sounds like one of your frustrations is that she wants to try everything, but won't stick with one thing very long. Giving her a budget for activities takes makes it her responsibility to choose and manage the cost. I would also suggest giving her a "time" budget as well. By this I mean, how much of your time are you will to spend on her activities. That will keep her from finding a million very low cost activities that require hours of your driving time.

• Like 1

LOVE the budget idea! I always made my kids stick with one thing at a time. They could try it, finish the class (whatever the set time was), and then try something new--but not multiple things at once, and not more things per year than we had set aside money for. This helped them be a bit choosy but still allowed them to try many different things to find a passion.

BTW, my youngest excels at art too and refused to take classes for years--but now in high school has wanted to again. So...sometimes that can change too! In her case, she wanted to be free to explore the interest without feeling directed or constrained to learn specific skills--she just liked the freedom of expression and wasn't ready for instruction or to do things in a studied way. My son showed good art skill also, but never continued art lessons (had a wonderful teacher when he was 7, but she moved sadly!), and mainly enjoys only drawing certain things. I do get the idea of wanting to do something just for fun.

I guess this is sort of like when my brother and I decided to hone our comedic skills by constantly telling Dixie Cup Knock Knock jokes (does anyone remember those?) 

YES!! Loved those!!

• Like 2

I haven't read every reply...

I have a number of piano/guitar players in the family. I paid for 4 years of piano lessons each. I only paid about $60 TOTAL in guitar lessons.

If your dd took piano long enough to understand chords, and all she wants to play is pop tunes, not interested in classical guitar, I would not pay for any more lessons. The truly interested will continue to teach themselves with the help of chord charts and YouTube.

What I *would* do is drive her around as necessary to get together regularly with others who play guitar. Jam sessions are fun and a great places to learn new tricks and ask questions.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

But he DID say, that most people sing with traditional guitar, and that it would be very hard to find her music that's not in the rock/pop genre that doesn't have singing along to it.

:confused:

The teacher does not know what he is talking about. There is so much guitar music not in the rock/pop that has no vocals. 

Run.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

:confused:

The teacher does not know what he is talking about. There is so much guitar music not in the rock/pop that has no vocals. 

Run.

Yes, in the classical and Spanish guitar world there are centuries of amazing pieces to play. In addition, any pop song can be arranged to be interesting to play without vocals. My boys' classical guitar teacher does this for his students all the time. They also play the most amazing repertoire from classical and Spanish guitar.

It does sound like this teacher has a narrow guitar/vocals background. I also wonder about constantly doing both together. It's very challenging to learn to play guitar and learn to sing well. Always doing both together makes it very difficult to improve either one to full potential. And for long-term vocal chord health, learning proper technique is a really good idea. Your dd may benefit more from joining a choir.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

darn, i really mis-typed that.  He said it would be hard to find guitar music IN the rock/pop genre that has no vocals.  

But, I have convinced my dd to try a method book, and working on convincing the teacher.  The book includes a lot that she needs to round out what he is doing and she can add random pop song chords if she wants.

It does sound like this teacher has a narrow guitar/vocals background. I also wonder about constantly doing both together. It's very challenging to learn to play guitar and learn to sing well. Always doing both together makes it very difficult to improve either one to full potential. And for long-term vocal chord health, learning proper technique is a really good idea. Your dd may benefit more from joining a choir.

:iagree:

• Like 1

A child with that personality needs to drive, not be driven. That is likely why she rejected piano, rigorous and structured lessons.

Voice lessons would be a good investment, as would a choir. It seems she might be a good all around musician if given some skills.

Not all musicians specialize to the point of the excellence on one instrument. It is healthy to be well rounded with competence in several instruments.

• Like 1