Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

Happy New Year, old and new BaWers!  So pleased to start the fresh book year off all shiny with you all.

And whammo, I've already tossed 2 books into the Abandoned pile (the Abandoned pile does not, necessarily, mean Tossed with Disgust Across the Room, mostly the likes are Oh Ack I Can't Possibly Read This Now, Maybe Later, Because Hope Springs Eternal) and they were Narconomics and the promising Do Not Say We Have Nothing, about the cultural revolution in China and its aftermath.

I hope to read LESS fiction this year, mainly because it disappoints more than it delights.  That said, I have to figure out how to download an EPub book to my Kindle or at least to the family iPad...because Norwegian Wood is here! and I *must* read it.  (I find it delightful that 1Q84 is not on many of your 'gentle introductions to Murakami' lists because I loved that book and liked its serpentine alleys of thought.  And thank you Angela as I have upped my Goodreads challenge total from 60 to 61 because it's a prime.)

Another technical quandary is re-reads with Goodreads.  I power-listened to The Unwinding over the long weekend and I would like to include that to 2017, any suggestions how to count re-reads there?  It is a favorite and is great coupled with Dark Money and The Rise and Fall of Nations, which I am slooowly reading and digesting. 

My first book of the year was the enlightening (hah!) The Age of Genius:  the 17th Century and the Birth of the Modern Mind, by A.C. Grayling.  It is part of our period of study this year (early Modern) so I enjoy overviews like this book...and I co-read it with The Dream of Enlightenment, by Anthony Gottlieb, which is a primer on philosophy in/around Enlightenment.  The Age of Genius concentrates mainly on the 30 Years' War and its aftermath, indeed, war was the constant in that century...there were many fine detours which I enjoyed (Marin Mersenne being one, Hobbes vs Locke another). 

• Like 27

Hmmmm. I suppose it is no different that those old "Classics Illustrated" or "Classics for Children" series, which were perfect at one point for my reluctant reader. Or the wonderful retellings that Jim Weiss has done, which my kids loved and served as a great introduction to Sherlock Holmes stories and Shakespeare. 

The parents who have "snapped up books that promise to turn their children into tiny literature lovers" reminds me of a time years and years ago, before I was a mom, when I worked at a teacher's store. A couple with a young baby came in one day looking for materials to teach their child -- that infant in arms --to read. What they were looking for were those flashcards that were all the rage at the time (late 80s) which were supposed to teach children to read before they could even speak! I kindly explained to them that we didn't sell those flashcards, that our company philosophy was that reading aloud to children, even to babies, was the best start. The couple didn't believe me, weren't interested the idea that looking at board books, or tactile books while cuddled together on the couch would create the warm associations of books and love and comfort, that reading could naturally grow from that.

Of course more than one set of parents and grandparents wanted to know where the instructions were for a box of building blocks. I'd get blank stares when I said the idea was for kids to use their imaginations and build whatever they want!

I dunno, I think it is different. It's one thing to read a Shakespeare retelling or an illustrated classic before you're ready for the real thing, but this marketing classics to preschoolers or little kids seems like part of this whole obsessive "our kids are falling behind so let's have them do everything *earlier*" phenomena that is so toxic in public elementary schools today.  I know everybody probably has an anecdote. Mine comes from my girls' elementary school experience: they both had a lovely K teacher, 30+ years of experience, who made Kindergarten a fun, inviting, and educational experience that made the girls love school. She retired the year after Morgan did K, and the new 5th grade teacher - a young woman, new to teaching - asked to transfer to K because she said the 5th graders she was teaching hadn't been adequately prepared and she wanted to start them sooner on homework, worksheets, and standardized test prep.  The next year's K class had a very different experience than my girls did. Sadly.  

So much insecurity in parenting. Everybody's heart is in the right place, but as a culture we seem clueless about how to do it right. I feel for young parents, I really do. I think some of them are completely out to lunch, but I feel for them.  

• Like 22

Happy New Year, old and new BaWers!  So pleased to start the fresh book year off all shiny with you all.

And whammo, I've already tossed 2 books into the Abandoned pile (the Abandoned pile does not, necessarily, mean Tossed with Disgust Across the Room, mostly the likes are Oh Ack I Can't Possibly Read This Now, Maybe Later, Because Hope Springs Eternal) and they were Narconomics and the promising Do Not Say We Have Nothing, about the cultural revolution in China and its aftermath.

I hope to read LESS fiction this year, mainly because it disappoints more than it delights.  That said, I have to figure out how to download an EPub book to my Kindle or at least to the family iPad...because Norwegian Wood is here! and I *must* read it.  (I find it delightful that 1Q84 is not on many of your 'gentle introductions to Murakami' lists because I loved that book and liked its serpentine alleys of thought.  And thank you Angela as I have upped my Goodreads challenge total from 60 to 61 because it's a prime.)

Another technical quandary is re-reads with Goodreads.  I power-listened to The Unwinding over the long weekend and I would like to include that to 2017, any suggestions how to count re-reads there?  It is a favorite and is great coupled with Dark Money and The Rise and Fall of Nations, which I am slooowly reading and digesting. 

My first book of the year was the enlightening (hah!) The Age of Genius:  the 17th Century and the Birth of the Modern Mind, by A.C. Grayling.  It is part of our period of study this year (early Modern) so I enjoy overviews like this book...and I co-read it with The Dream of Enlightenment, by Anthony Gottlieb, which is a primer on philosophy in/around Enlightenment.  The Age of Genius concentrates mainly on the 30 Years' War and its aftermath, indeed, war was the constant in that century...there were many fine detours which I enjoyed (Marin Mersenne being one, Hobbes vs Locke another). 

If you want to include a re-read in your 2017 count, just make sure that the "Date I finished this book" is set to a 2017 date, and it will be automatically included.  You can also set up shelves where you shelve books completed in a specific year - "books of 2017" or some such thing. That does move it from a previously read time period to the current time period, I don't know of a way to list it in both places inside goodread's calculations, but you can always shelve it in more than one place - I have some re-reads shelved in more than one "books of 201_" shelf.

Likewise, if you read most of a book in 2016 and want it to show up there, just set the "Date finished" to Dec 31.  

• Like 19

That article...ridiculous is my instinctive reaction. And missing the point entirely both 'literarily' and from the standpoint of child development. If I know you the littlest bit VC I'm guessing that was posted tongue-in-cheek? And if not, well then you are a woman of far more complexity that I realized ;)

My current reading has me interested in revisiting some of the Eastern European classics. Onto the list went Pasternak, Chekov and Tolstoy. Have to get some feminine energy in there. Any suggestions? All that's coming to mind is Anna Akhmatova whom I've dabbled in but not too deeply.

I think I posted the article more in horror, and yet hilarity. Kerouac for tots! Once you've left out the drugs and the Mexican prostitutes, what's left? Maybe they could do Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for preK next.

Re: eastern Europe, I vote for War and Peace. It's far more readable than its imposing reputation would suggest.

• Like 24

I think I posted the article more in horror, and yet hilarity. Kerouac for tots! Once you've left out the drugs and the Mexican prostitutes, what's left? Maybe they could do Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for preK next.

:lol:

Re: eastern Europe, I vote for War and Peace. It's far more readable than its imposing reputation would suggest.

I've already read AK so this is appealing but yes, I'm thoroughly daunted by the length more so than its reputation. 

• Like 16

Not classics, but...

Maybe Magdalena Tulli? I read her book In Red a few years ago.

NoĂƒÂ©mi SzĂƒÂ©csi? I read Finno-Ugrian Vampire a few years ago too. Looks like she also wrote the Communist Monte Cristo, which sounds interesting (but I don't think it's available in English).

Thanks, Stacia. NoĂƒÂ©mi SzĂƒÂ©csi looks like an interesting author. The first book you recommended sounds like a possibility. Too bad her other books have yet to be translated into English.

• Like 15

So much insecurity in parenting. Everybody's heart is in the right place, but as a culture we seem clueless about how to do it right. I feel for young parents, I really do. I think some of them are completely out to lunch, but I feel for them.

I don't have the link at my fingertips, but I remember a study that showed the best way to encourage reading in your children is to read yourself. No amount of flashcards or early intervention can counter a parent reading by example. I asked my mother if she read aloud to us and she claims that she didn't. I believe her as she worked long hours. Both my parents were avid readers and kept bookshelves filled with books my siblings and I could browse freely. I believe creating an inquisitive, loving environment is far more important in the early years than artificial drills or flashcards.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 18

For those doing birthstone challenge:

Miss Garnet's Angel

That's the book I picked out!

Fastweedpuller....I can't remember which kindle you have but as someone who hasn't figured out how to download epub books I will share my laugh worthy solution (yep, the dc's laugh at me for not being techy)' Read it in Overdrive Read. The formatting makes me feel like the book is a million pages long but as long as there is internet it works fine on my fire.

• Like 11

But it can be any word in the title? Not just the first non-article?

I use the first word, but I think a lot of people use any word.  I have so many books in my to be read folder on my Kindle that I've got at least half a dozen per letter to choose from.  It's easiest for me to just sort of title and pick books that way.

Hmmmm. I suppose it is no different that those old "Classics Illustrated" or "Classics for Children" series, which were perfect at one point for my reluctant reader. Or the wonderful retellings that Jim Weiss has done, which my kids loved and served as a great introduction to Sherlock Holmes stories and Shakespeare. 

I think the difference is the age it is aimed at and how dumbed down.  These books are aimed at toddlers and preschoolers.  The books you mention are aimed at older kids, probably at least 6 or 8.  They include at least hints at some of the stuff they completely exclude or change in these.

• Like 14

I don't have the link at my fingertips, but I remember a study that showed the best way to encourage reading in your children is to read yourself. No amount of flashcards or early intervention can counter a parent reading by example. I asked my mother if she read aloud to us and she claims that she didn't. I believe her as she worked long hours. Both my parents were avid readers and kept bookshelves filled with books my siblings and I could browse freely. I believe creating an inquisitive, loving environment is far more important in the early years than artificial drills or flashcards.

Agreed.  Dh and I were just talking the other day about how our dds have some good habits (like reading) that they got from me, and some bad habits (like not exercising regularly) that they got from me, too.  Given the truth of this, I  know that until I start exercising regularly & consistently, it's going to be hard to convince my 14 year old to do it.  So, Day 2 of C25K done! It was harder than yesterday. Yesterday my body just treated it as an anomalous fluke.  Today, I could feel my body saying, "What??? Again???!!! Let's not make a habit of this."  :001_rolleyes:  ;)

• Like 23

Finished Rocket Girl. I didn't like it. At the end I felt like I had watched a movie and slept through the important parts. It did not hold together well. I kept waiting for pertinent information that never came. And there was no science or math in a book about a woman who was a brilliant chemist and mathematician. I felt like the author didn't care to understand the science.

The next book I am going to read is Finding Manana about Cuba because I already own it. (Hoping I can find it...)My former school twice a year did a community reads book. This was one of them. It was the only one I didn't participate in while I was there.

ETA: I found it! (It helped to look at it's picture on amazon so I knew what color spine to look for on the shelves.)

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 16

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I don't have any big reading goals this year. I generally read as an escape with the occassional non-fiction book thrown in to keep things interesting. I'd love to read more than 52 books this year  - last year I read 54 - but I'm aiming higher than that. :)

• Like 21

ETA again: Isn't it kind of sad & rather condescending that the parents think that their offspring won't actually WANT to read decent/classic/"hard" books at a later date? It's like they're already telling their kids that they're failures, in a way. Kwim?

And so short-sighted. I bet you get much better results taking Kerouac out of their hands when they find it on the coffee table, saying "No honey, you're too little to read that."

• Like 18

Finished my first book of 2017 - Best. State. Ever. A Florida Man Defends His Homeland, Dave Barry. The important takeaway is that most of the craziness is initiated by people who came here from other states. States that think they have the right to make fun of us. 

Started - Doctor Thorne, Anthony Trollope - I don't think this will fit in a bingo square or any challenges, but I started reading the Barchester Chronicles last year and this is the next one.

Angela - Sorry to hear about your sick household. I hope the baby and dh are feeling better soon.

:grouphug: Kareni :grouphug:

Welcome to all the BaW newbies, to those trying again, and to the usual gang!

• Like 21

I also think in this tech driven world, making reading an attractive alternative is very helpful. If tech is always available, I think the brain's natural default goes for easy, so kids will reach for tech, especially if they are looking for downtime. Limiting tech immediately makes reading an easy choice for downtime. I have seen that play out time and again in my children. I know if my 16 year old had a phone, his amount of reading would decrease dramatically, as it stands reading is one of his most attractive options, so that's what he does. 

• Like 18

Same here. My parents did not read to me. I think my dad would read The Night Before Christmas once a year that was it. Yet, I always saw them reading. They didn't exactly read classics either. My mom only reads bodice ripper books, and my dad reads more contemporary fiction like Stephen King and such. I grew up with a book in my hand at all times. I don't remember ever not reading. 

I do think personality plays a role. Despite growing up in the same environment, same parents, same access to books my siblings are not readers.

I just found out that the 3rd book of the Great Library trilogy will not be released until summer. I usually try not to start a series unless I can finish it right away. One more thing about Ink and Bones is that she needs a new editor. Too many mistakes that should not be there. Drives me batty. 

• Like 20

Agreed.  Dh and I were just talking the other day about how our dds have some good habits (like reading) that they got from me, and some bad habits (like not exercising regularly) that they got from me, too.  Given the truth of this, I  know that until I start exercising regularly & consistently, it's going to be hard to convince my 14 year old to do it.  So, Day 2 of C25K done! It was harder than yesterday. Yesterday my body just treated it as an anomalous fluke.  Today, I could feel my body saying, "What??? Again???!!! Let's not make a habit of this."  :001_rolleyes:  ;)

Does your dh exercise? 

I exercise all the time (6 days a week and sometimes 2x a day) and yet my male teen has no interest. It may be because my dh does not exercise ever, and my ds is following him as a role model. Maybe because he's male? 

I've simply been having my ds workout with me. He's doing it but he wouldn't if I wasn't after him. 

I want him to read Spark

• Like 18

Does your dh exercise? 

I exercise all the time (6 days a week and sometimes 2x a day) and yet my male teen has no interest. It may be because my dh does not exercise ever, and my ds is following him as a role model. Maybe because he's male? 

I've simply been having my ds workout with me. He's doing it but he wouldn't if I wasn't after him. 

I want him to read Spark

He hikes a lot, but doesn't exercise at a gym or anything. He works a 4-10 schedule, so he's more of a weekend warrior. He's far more athletic than I am, though.

I do think my older dd is more likely to copy me and resist him, though.  :lol:

That's a good idea, I should assign her to read Spark.

• Like 15

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I don't have any big reading goals this year. I generally read as an escape with the occassional non-fiction book thrown in to keep things interesting. I'd love to read more than 52 books this year  - last year I read 54 - but I'm aiming higher than that. :)

Me either.  :)  I think my main goal is to get organized on GoodReads so that I can keep track of what I read better!

My first book of the year is Joshua Ferris' To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and I have to say it's prettyt captivating so far. It's one of those books that makes me wonder how much of the author him/herself is in the main character of the story, kwim? A review on The Telegraph's website calls it "a genuinely funny theological thriller."  LOL  How could I not pick this one up?!  :P

• Like 20

The A to Z challenge.....I have never done it but am considering trying it this year. Do the books have to be read in alphabetical order? Or can I read in any order?

A to Z - they can be read in any order. Birthstone bingo - try to stay within the month of the birthstone

Newbie question: Can the same book be applied to two separate challenges? Several of my bingo selections are chunky books. 

Anything you read for Bingo can be applied to Birthstone or chunky books 

But it can be any word in the title? Not just the first non-article?

Wouldn't that just make it too easy, Rose?   No if's and or buts about it. :laugh:    Take An Ember in the Ashes for example - Ember and Ashes count.  In could count in a pinch.  An, A and the, I think not.    :zombiechase:      Let the debate begin. What say the 52BaWer's ladies?  

• Like 17

Okay - finally caught up here. Wanted to say a quick hi as I've wanted to do this challenge for years but always miss the beginning (and can't start in the middle).

I was about to post that the inability to reach the end of the new thread was gonna prohibit my reading but I don't even have a book yet, just a hold placed.

My goals : 52 books , keeping it simple.

And to finally understand and use Goodreads.

Keep up with this thread and browse less of the overall forum.

• Like 24

A to Z - they can be read in any order. Birthstone bingo - try to stay within the month of the birthstone

Wouldn't that just make it too easy, Rose? No if's and or buts about it. :laugh: Take An Ember in the Ashes for example - Ember and Ashes count. In could count in a pinch. An, A and the, I think not. :zombiechase: Let the debate begin. What say the 52BaWer's ladies?

I would have voted first non-article word only. But I'm about to ask for an A to Z author's name exemption, so maybe I should vote for liberality, in my own self-interest.

Can I count De Quincey for Q? I have too many D authors.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 19

I started planning my bingo reading:

Prime Number - 101 Dalmatians.  This is one of those books I never got around to reading in my own childhood nor to my own children as a read aloud.  My sister read it to her kids and loved it.  Also, I was just hanging out at a friend's house last week and they have a gorgeous Dalmatian.  So this will be my read when I need something lighter this year.

Science Fiction - War of the Worlds.  I just gave a collection of H.G.Wells novels to one son this Christmas (my sci-fi/fantasy loving one) I've heard about it all my life but never read it.

Western - I think maybe Ron Hansen's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  I've heard about this and have had it in my imaginary tbr pile in my mind.

Translated - ??

Over 500 pages - City of God by Augustine 

Flufferton - what does this mean exactly?   Does it just refer to a light read or is it a particular type of light read?

Your name in the title - ??

Ancient up to 100 A.D. - luckily we are planning to study Ancients next year so I will have (re)read a translation of the Iliad by the end of 2017.

Outer Space - I've always wanted to read the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis so thinking of reading the first book of that series at least.

Local Author - I recently bought a book by Jeannette Walls at a library sale.  Turns out she lives in Virginia.

Eastern Europe - ???

Collection of Short Stories - ???

Free Space - ???

Finance -???  Can this be more economics rather than straight finance?

Female Adventure - I attempted to read West with the Night by Beryl Markham a while ago but for some reason it had to go back to the library before I could really get started.  So I think I will try that one again.  It isn't a novel though, but a memoir.  Hope that counts.

Bestseller Written in Child or spouse birth year - I think I'll go with spouse since i have 5 kids and don't want to play favorites.  Still don't know what to read though.

Seaworthy - I've been eyeing those books by Frederick Maryatt for a while.  Think I'll try one of those

Dystopian - I think A Canticle for Leibowitz falls into this category?  This is another book that has been in my imaginary tbr pile.

One Word Title - Utopia by Thomas More.  This came to me because of the Dystopian category but also because my dd was telling me what a weird book it is.  She read it in her classical college studies.  It isn't that long, so I might attempt it.

Classic- ???  I am reading Waverley now by Sir Walter Scott.  Is that considered a classic?  

Steampunk - I don't even know what this is.  I had to look it up.  They listed stuff I had never heard of but then they also listed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so I might go with that one.

Middle Ages - I've had Georgette Heyer's Simon the Coldhearted sitting on my shelf for several years.  It is set during the time of Henry V.  Time to read it!

Mystery - ???

Debut Author - ???

Selected by a Friend - ???

• Like 24

That article...ridiculous is my instinctive reaction. And missing the point entirely both 'literarily' and from the standpoint of child development. If I know you the littlest bit VC I'm guessing that was posted tongue-in-cheek? And if not, well then you are a woman of far more complexity that I realized ;)

My current reading has me interested in revisiting some of the Eastern European classics. Onto the list went Pasternak, Chekov and Tolstoy. Have to get some feminine energy in there. Any suggestions? All that's coming to mind is Anna Akhmatova whom I've dabbled in but not too deeply.

Another vote for War and Peace! I enjoyed it! 

For those doing birthstone challenge:

Miss Garnet's Angel

Sounds really interesting. Added to my wishlist! 

I would have voted first non-article word only. But I'm about to ask for an A to Z author's name exemption, so maybe I should vote for liberality, in my own self-interest.

Can I count De Quincey for Q? I have too many D authors.

Yes, it may count for Q.  

15822752_1414487888561925_88807045232124

• Like 27

Wouldn't that just make it too easy, Rose?   No if's and or buts about it. :laugh:    Take An Ember in the Ashes for example - Ember and Ashes count.  In could count in a pinch.  An, A and the, I think not.    :zombiechase:      Let the debate begin. What say the 52BaWer's ladies?  

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at - An Ember in the Ashes can be Ember or Ashes, but not any of the little words - that makes sense.  I was thinking that the *first* word in the title had to spell the gemstone - so only Ember.  But it's definitely easier if you can use any main word!  I'm ok with that, I'm pretty challenged this year already! :lol:  

• Like 18

People!  I just spent 2 hours figuring out how to export my EPUB book to something my Kindle can read.  At about minute 45 of me (grumbling loudly), dd was all like "what's up?" and then dh got involved.  I had to work it through myself (passwords and accounts and all that that I don't even share with the family) and wow what a deep world, the DRM scrubbing world is, and what have I inadvertently stumbled upon, *just* by trying to put my book on my Kindle?  It's like the Deep Web we hear about.  (Of course, now that I have admitted this, I wonder if I have just created a file with my name on it in some Deep Web monitoring station...)

I was a much happier person in my earlier ignorance of things like DRM (Digital Rights Management).  And...I *think* I will be able to do this again.  Has anyone seen the movie Brazil?  because that is what this whole process reminded me of, my goodness :banghead: 

• Like 19

I'm going to take the plunge this year! Starting off with a challenge I saw on Facebook.

First up: A book being made into a movie this year. I picked The Circle by Dave Eggers -- just finished this afternoon! Looking forward to the movie (but probably will have to wait for it to come out On Demand...)

Next on the list is a young adult novel (thinking The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky) and then a New York Times bestseller (going with Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, who happens to be a friend of my sister).

I'm excited to join you all!

• Like 23

I am going to try this year. I am sticking with 52 books - that is a big enough goal for me. I feel my attention span is lacking and I am not nearly as well read as many on this thread, so anything will be a success! I have several books on the shelf I need to read. Today I finished book number 1 - The Day they Came to Arrest the Book. A nice, easy, short one to get me started!

Edited by lewber
  • Like 22

I'd like to join in. I'm not actually sure I'll make 52 as I have books in three, maybe 4 languages on my reading list this year and that slows me down.

Do audio books count? I saw a little discussion of them up thread but wasn't sure exactly. If so that will bump me up by at least 12 so then I'd probably make it.

• Like 25

I started planning my bingo reading:

Prime Number - 101 Dalmatians. This is one of those books I never got around to reading in my own childhood nor to my own children as a read aloud. My sister read it to her kids and loved it. Also, I was just hanging out at a friend's house last week and they have a gorgeous Dalmatian. So this will be my read when I need something lighter this year.

Science Fiction - War of the Worlds. I just gave a collection of H.G.Wells novels to one son this Christmas (my sci-fi/fantasy loving one) I've heard about it all my life but never read it.

Western - I think maybe Ron Hansen's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I've heard about this and have had it in my imaginary tbr pile in my mind.

Translated - ??

Over 500 pages - City of God by Augustine

Flufferton - what does this mean exactly? Does it just refer to a light read or is it a particular type of light read?

Your name in the title - ??

Ancient up to 100 A.D. - luckily we are planning to study Ancients next year so I will have (re)read a translation of the Iliad by the end of 2017.

Outer Space - I've always wanted to read the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis so thinking of reading the first book of that series at least.

Local Author - I recently bought a book by Jeannette Walls at a library sale. Turns out she lives in Virginia.

Eastern Europe - ???

Collection of Short Stories - ???

Free Space - ???

Finance -??? Can this be more economics rather than straight finance?

Female Adventure - I attempted to read West with the Night by Beryl Markham a while ago but for some reason it had to go back to the library before I could really get started. So I think I will try that one again. It isn't a novel though, but a memoir. Hope that counts.

Bestseller Written in Child or spouse birth year - I think I'll go with spouse since i have 5 kids and don't want to play favorites. Still don't know what to read though.

Seaworthy - I've been eyeing those books by Frederick Maryatt for a while. Think I'll try one of those

Dystopian - I think A Canticle for Leibowitz falls into this category? This is another book that has been in my imaginary tbr pile.

One Word Title - Utopia by Thomas More. This came to me because of the Dystopian category but also because my dd was telling me what a weird book it is. She read it in her classical college studies. It isn't that long, so I might attempt it.

Classic- ??? I am reading Waverley now by Sir Walter Scott. Is that considered a classic?

Steampunk - I don't even know what this is. I had to look it up. They listed stuff I had never heard of but then they also listed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so I might go with that one.

Middle Ages - I've had Georgette Heyer's Simon the Coldhearted sitting on my shelf for several years. It is set during the time of Henry V. Time to read it!

Mystery - ???

Debut Author - ???

Selected by a Friend - ???

I enjoyed reading your bingo list!

My western is going to be either Ron Hansen's Jesse James or Billy the Kid. I loved his Mariette in Ecstasy.

• Like 16

First up: A book being made into a movie this year. I picked The Circle by Dave Eggers -- just finished this afternoon! Looking forward to the movie (but probably will have to wait for it to come out On Demand...)

So a recommendation for The Circle?  I saw the movie preview yesterday and had never heard of this title by Eggers!

• Like 14

I've finished Fences and now I wonder how the movie will compare. I wish I hadn't seen the previews for the movie because all I could see and hear were Denzel and Viola.

I'm moving on to my second book, a free Kindle First book.  Nothing jumped out at me this month so I selected The Night Bird by Brian Freeman.

Does anyone else take advantage of the Kindle First books?

Next up will be a book I bought for professional development but keep bypassing as the first chapter put me to sleep: Tales From Both Sides of the Brain by Michael Gazzaniga.

By then I should have DS's Japanese Lit books.

• Like 21

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the teething tablets began to take hold. My parents sighed in relief."

Bwahahahaha! :D Now I'm trying to think of what other edgy classics they could rewrite for the indigo snowflake toddler set. Tropic of Capricorn? Go Ask Alice? Fanny Hill?

• Like 20

I'm moving on to my second book, a free Kindle First book.  Nothing jumped out at me this month so I selected The Night Bird by Brian Freeman.

Does anyone else take advantage of the Kindle First books?

I do.  I skipped a couple months because nothing sounded good at all.  I picked the same one you did this month.  It seemed like the best of them.

• Like 13

I'm going to give it a shot this year. I think I will do the 52 book bingo and the birthstone bookology. Do I need to do anything other than post here?

Yes, you must post a recipe of a delicious dessert.  :laugh:  Then tie it into a book discussion. We are very good at making most anything into a book discussion. 

• Like 19

I'd like to join in. I'm not actually sure I'll make 52 as I have books in three, maybe 4 languages on my reading list this year and that slows me down.

Do audio books count? I saw a little discussion of them up thread but wasn't sure exactly. If so that will bump me up by at least 12 so then I'd probably make it.

:seeya:  Hi!  I also read in 3 languages - and am adding one book in a fourth this year (I may just read that one in bits over the whole year...).  Which languages? (I read English/German/Spanish and sometimes take a stab at French).  I wish I could say it was the foreign languages slowing me down, but honestly I don't read fast in English either.  I'm aiming for more like a book-every-other-week, but I'm hoping maybe I'll keep getting inspired here and do more. :)  I'm also just starting this year.

And yeah, apparently audio books count, so I should start getting more audio books!

• Like 21

I'm going to take the plunge this year! Starting off with a challenge I saw on Facebook.

Next on the list is a young adult novel (thinking The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky) and then a New York Times bestseller (going with Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, who happens to be a friend of my sister).

I'm excited to join you all!

Oh, I loved The Circle! I'm trying to get my DH to read it. I finished it shortly after he returned from interviewing at a large, well-known company located near Seattle. It made the book all the more interesting to me.

So a recommendation for The Circle?  I saw the movie preview yesterday and had never heard of this title by Eggers!

Oh wow! I didn't realize the preview was out! Tom Hanks and Emma Watson. This is going to be so fun!

• Like 13

Aaaah!  You guys all read waaaay too fast!  I spent half the day yesterday just finding a book to read - all the books I had lying about were from my recent foreign language bookstore junket and one non-fiction book.  I've just read a lot in those categories and wanted to read something a bit lighter and faster to get me off on a good start, so I thought I'd raid my kids' rooms - I had hoped to find a Dorothy Sayers mystery I'd bought one of my dds, but couldn't find it anywhere.  Ended up with Hollow City, the second book in the Miss Peregrine series, which was also AWOL - for the longest time I could only find Book 3.   :glare:

But instead of reading my book all day today, I may have spent a bunch of time reading this thread and playing with Goodreads.  And I finally went over to the blog and figured out the Bingo thing and even though at this pace there seems but a slim chance that I'll make any Bingos, I nevertheless tried to think of books on my to-read list that might fit the categories. :tongue_smilie:  You know, just in case. :D

Oh, and am I understanding correctly that I can't double-dip in Bingo?  Like, a 500+ page book set in Eastern Europe only counts for one category or the other?  I've got lots of stuff that could fit 2-3 categories...

So, here's what I've got so far...

Prime Number - got nothing.  None of my books have numbers in them right now, no less primes... ???

Science Fiction - Embassytown by MiĂƒÂ©ville

Western - Okay, I've never read a single Western, not really my thing.  Any awesome recommendations?

Translated - Ein Mann namens Ove/A man called Ove (translated from Swedish)

Over 500 pages - El laberinto de los espĂƒÂ­ritus - Carlos Ruiz ZafĂƒÂ³n

Flufferton - Is Cranford considered Flufferton?  Austen is, right? but I've read all of those, and I'd rather try new Flufferton rather than reread - I read the thread the week this was discussed, but it's a bit hazy now...).  And Jane Eyre would not be Flufferton? (because dd and I are listening to that on audio now...)

Your Name in the Title - so I checked the library to see if anything existed.  I found a collection of 19th century Irish-American Literature that even got good reviews (guess my real name!)

Ancient up to 500AD - ???

Outer Space - Amish Vampires in Space - lol, this one has been on my mental list since someone mentioned it here on the Hive.  Somehow it has really good reviews on Amazon (and Goodreads), so I've got give it a go...

Local Author - In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whale Ship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick

Eastern Europe - Oh, heck.  War and Peace is on my list, but my book count could go way down if I tackle that... Would The Metamorphosis count?  Kafka lived in Prague...  How about Roadside Picnic - sci fi, but written by Russians???

Collection of Short Stories - Stories of Your Life and Others or What is Not Yours is Not Yours

Free Space - I can just stick whatever here?

Finance - Gah, I don't wanna read about finance.  Anything readable for someone who doesn't really want to read about finance?

Female Adventure - I decided that Miss Garnet book looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go.  Next month is my birthstone, so I think I could last that long... :)  So, would Miss Garnet's storyline in Venice be considered a female adventure?

Bestseller written in Child or Spouse birth year - either Winter Solstice by Pilcher (2000) or Dr. Zhivago (1959).  1998 would also have been an option, but nothing struck my fancy.

Seaworthy - Wide Sargasso Sea (would that count?) or The Plover (since everyone seems to love it!)

Dystopian - I really like dystopian fiction, but none of it was on my current list, so ???  I've read most of the more obvious choices...  I'd love to reread The Dispossessed, but that's really more utopian than dystopian, and in outer space...?

Classic - Would either Age of Innocence or Far from the Madding Crowd count?

Steampunk - I think the only Steampunky thing I've read is His Dark Materials series.  Any good recommendations?  By Gaslight (is that steampunk) looks good but it's yet another chunky one. 

Middle Ages - such rave reviews about Sunne in Splendour, now I want to read it.

Mystery - hit me with your favorite Arnaldur Indridason - which one should I start with?  Or I may try an interesting looking Dutch mystery author I found (Maarten 't Hart - any of the Dutch readers know him?)

Debut Author - Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Selected by a Friend - A friend is starting a scifi book club, and I'm thinking of joining if it ends up meeting at a time I can make it.  Their first book is Ancillary Justice, so I'll put that one here...

• Like 22