Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

Started Song of Solomon today, I'm having a hard time putting it down!

Has anyone read the Chernow book Hamilton? I need a book over 600 pages for the Modern Mrs Darcy book challenge and I want to pick a good one.

Song of Solomon is on my list for this year.

I'm reading Hamilton. According to Goodreads I've been reading it since July!  It's interesting but easy to put down, imo. It's one of my long reads that I'll finish eventually. Apparently Lin-Manuel Miranda read it while on vacation and immediately thought, "This would make a great musical". I don't see it, but that's why he's famous and I'm not.  :lol:

• Like 19

Not book related.  Just really sad.  Prayers and good thoughts requested.

You might have seen on the news about the tragic accident at a ski resort in Colorado.  A mother and her two girls fell about 25 feet from a ski lift chair.  The mother died.  The 12 year old was treated and released.  The 9 year old as far as we know is still in the hospital.  There's no news on her condition currently.

The younger girl is one of the students at the taekwondo at the studio we go to.  My daughter is an assistant program director/junior instructor there and she is just beside herself because she loves all "her kids" so much.  The studio is sending flowers for the family.  I suggested get well cards from however many students/parents want to make/buy them for Taylor.  9 year olds love mail, right?

It's just so sad :(

I am so sorry. 

• Like 7

Quick update -- finished three books but only because we had a long weekend and I wasn't feeling wonderful. So I mostly sat around and read. I will NOT be reading at that pace the rest of the year!

For Bingo, I read a mystery (Faithful Unto Death by Caroline Graham), book set in ancient times (Antony & Cleopatra -- I think I got that idea from Rose), and a dystopian book (Fahrenheit 451). Not sure what is next ... I'm so tired so I'm trying to settle on a lighter book. I don't know why I couldn't get through the Dorothy Sayers I tried. Maybe I'll have better luck with Georgette Heyer for Flufferton? My library doesn't have the one I want but I found one on my Kindle that I never read, so I might give that a whirl.

Or I'll try The Thirteenth Tale for my prime number book. I am pretty sure I read it but I don't remember it.

• Like 16

Hi Everybody,  I am back here.  My cell phone died and doesn't seem to be able to be fixed.  My main computer was having giant issues and now works again.  And I finally got my laptop cord back again so was able to get my laptop finally charged.  Oh and I have misplaced my kindle too.  So I have just got back into the online world and my health has finally gotten a bit better since being not very good right about a week before CHristmas till yesterday.

Since I can't find my kindle right now, I don't know quite how many books I read last year.  I think it was about 45.  I hope to get to 53 this year.  I may try the bingo this year since I am now starting at the beginning of the year.  

My family has really liked (kind of strange word for a dystopian series) Man in the High Castle series on Amazon Prime and so one thing I plan to do this year is read Philip K. Dick and watch movies/shows inspired by his books.  

I really like Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and have liked them since I was a little girl.

So sad about the skiing accident.

I hated Time Traveler's Wife.  I only read it because it was a book club selection.  

Oh, I am able to read more than some because I am an empty nester and don't work.  I am home most of the time.  I also have problems reading at times because of my maladies so I don't read as much as some of the others.

Welcome to the new members.  

• Like 17

Is there a category for books recommended by medical professionals? I just got the neuropsych report for ds and now I have Taking Charge of ADHD:The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents on my Kindle waiting for me to dive in. I guess it's good we are away this week so that I can digest all the suggestions.

• Like 14

Song of Solomon is on my list for this year.

I'm reading Hamilton. According to Goodreads I've been reading it since July! It's interesting but easy to put down, imo. It's one of my long reads that I'll finish eventually. Apparently Lin-Manuel Miranda read it while on vacation and immediately thought, "This would make a great musical". I don't see it, but that's why he's famous and I'm not. :lol:

I was thinking of writing a STEM girls musical this year. I'll let you in on the ground floor...

I had the same reaction to Hamilton--there's a musical in this?

• Like 15

They do count for BaW. 

I used to think reading was superior to listening to a book but have since changed my mind. Both are valid ways to "read" a book. I knew a homeschool family years ago and the mom told me they all had learning disabilities of some sort. If it wasn't for audio books she said, her kids would not have knowledge of the classics. They listened to many books as a family, plus each family member had their favorites they listened to on their own.

I don't think you have to have a learning disability or vision problem to justify audio books, but talking with her made me rethink the validity of audio books.

Having a husband and son who are voracious listeners (the son, and probably the husband, does have a learning disability) really changed how I view audiobooks.  They are still not for me.  I just don't pay attention very well.  I remember when I was a little kid absolutely hating being read to.  My mind would wander.  I'd sit next to my mother on the couch and read along as she read.  So audiobooks just never made sense to me.  My mom reads out loud to my dad in the car or while he is doing stuff around the house or whatever which is really kind of like listening to an audiobook.  My son's reading comprehension level when he was last tested in 6th grade was off the charts, all because he listens so much.  He gets *way* more out of a book he's listened to than read.  My mom listens to audiobooks sometimes while she quilts.  It's still getting the literature, just with ears instead of eyes.  I've really changed how I think of audiobooks and see the value now.

How are you all coming up with your lists?

I go through the challenges, pick what I want to do at the time, and then go through my very large to be read folder on my Kindle to find my next few books.

How tragic.  We've skied at Granby before and it must have just been some sort of freak accident because those lifts are generally so safe and slow. 

We got more information about what happened.  There had been reports that that lift was having mechanical issues.  The chair they were in was rocking side to side in a way it should not.  Taylor, who is a small 9 year old, started slipping out of her seat and her mother grabbed her to stop her from falling out.  This knocked them even more off balance and the chair swung sideways further and hit one of the support poles for the lift and they were all dumped out.

The mother died on impact.  The 12 year old broke her ankle.  The 9 year old has many bruises and broke her leg in two places. She's in a lot of pain. They hope she'll be released and they can come home in the next couple days.  They're hoping to be able to have the funeral next week.  They were, of course, waiting for Taylor to get out of the hospital.  She's in for a hard recovery.

• Like 14

Just dropping in a thank you to those who recommended the following authors, Angela Thirkell , Stephanie Barron (Jane Austen series) and, D.E Stevenson as cosy English reads: fluffertonabbey (sp?), I think ,was the 'genre' used.  

I'm enjoying these authors so far.  

Perfect summer time reading!

(Back to lurking along.) 

ETA: author's surname

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 15

This thread is overwhelmingly long in a short amount of time. If I'm to finish my books I'll need to avoid this thread. Oh the irony  :laugh: Consider yourselves all liked. 

I've been trying to jump in and join but keep on getting dragged back to real life and then finding the thread has moved on by another 50 posts!

At any rate, I've been lurking for the last half a year and decided that this year I would join since I've seen so many great books recommended in these threads and partially to challenge myself to read some books outside of my usual.

A few years back I read a book called  The Shelf: From LEQ to LES Adventures in Extreme Reading which was about the author deciding to read through a shelf of books at the New York Society Library.  I was inspired to read through a shelf of my own and spent some time thinking about what criteria I would use to select a shelf at the library.

And then I realized that I should just select a shelf at my house since I had 34 shelves of fiction of my own to read through (sprinkled with some non-fiction) and that I kept on overlooking them in favour of shiny new books that I bought from book stores/book sales that were stacked beside my bed or shiny new library books.  So I did the GON-HEG shelf during that last year and a half (well, I'm still working Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories).

All this to say that I've picked a new Shelf for this year and that's one of my goals:  To read the shelf from FLO to GET.  There's about 30 books on a shelf, and I'm hoping I can use at least 5 of them for the BaW Bingo.

So, goals:

1. Read The Shelf

2. BaW Bingo

3. Read one book in French.

4. Complete SEA Homeschoolers Reading Challenge (hopefully also some overlap between The Shelf/BaW Bingo and this).

I don't have a specific amount I'm aiming for but hopefully more than this year.  I've been keeping track for 4 years now and this past year was my lowest number by far (80 something).

I'm hoping that with fewer afternoon activities this term I can stick to my goal of having the kids and I read all at the same time for 30 minutes a day (each of us independently).

First book read of the year was one that I started in 2016 but I've been recording them in the year I finished them since I started keeping track so this one belongs in 2017.  Life Reimagined: The Science, Art, and Opportunity of Midlife.  I picked this one up off the new non-fiction cart at the library and dawdled my way through it.  It did reinforce my desire to try to keep up with exercising my body and my brain and continue to practice my French.  The career advice was not as useful as I'm not entirely sure what I'll do for an encore career after homeschooling, as I didn't exactly have one of the types of careers she highlights (which are all pretty high powered and white collar) prior to retiring in order to homeschool.  

I'm currently reading my first book on The Shelf:  Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock, which falls into the genre 'really painful to read with lots of trigger warnings' fiction about childhood and also halfway through an anthology of Peter Gzowski's (he was a Canadian broadcasting host on the CBC, which is our national public radio station) where he compiles stories and letters from people he had on the show or that he received in the mail.  I was reading it out loud to the kids in order to steep them in Canadiana but I've decided to read the last half to myself and come back to another Gzowski anthology with them later as he has (and I own) many.

The Shelf: From  LEQ to LES Adventures in Extreme Reading
The Shelf: From  LEQ to LES Adventures in Extreme Reading
  • Like 22

Just dropping in a thank you to those who recommended the following authors, Angela Thirkell , Stephanie Barron (Jane Austen series) and, D.E Stevenson as cosy English reads: fluffertonabbey (sp?), I think ,was the 'genre' used.  

(Back to lurking along.) 

You are welcome. Thirkell is one of my favorite authors so I love hearing that others enjoy her. If you like Stevenson, then you should also like E.M. Delafield. And take a look at Barbara Pym's Excellent Women. Wonderfully wry.

• Like 12

I am a contrarian rule follower. Well, I usually break rules or push boundaries when I find the rules to be stupid, so it's a bit odd that I also really like the world to follow certain rules.

One rule I didn't even know I was so emotionally tied to is the use of quotation marks in writing. The simple, basic use of them - nothing fancy or elaborate - is one of those rules I expect to be followed.

It is going to be a very long 700 pages with an author that tossed that convention out the window entirely. Oy.

• Like 19

Is there a category for books recommended by medical professionals? I just got the neuropsych report for ds and now I have Taking Charge of ADHD:The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents on my Kindle waiting for me to dive in. I guess it's good we are away this week so that I can digest all the suggestions.

I feel like I'm doing my own Special Needs reading challenge, too. Almost finished with The Child with Special Needs, which I've been working on since at least November. I think it's going to be the first book I finish in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 17

(Back to lurking along.) 

What DE Stevenson books are you reading?  She's a new discovery for me and I'm loving her.

I just finished Norwegian Wood.

Wow.

I love this book.

I haven't gotten mine yet.  My library doesn't have it so I have to borrow from a friend. 

• Like 11

A few years back I read a book called The Shelf: From LEQ to LES Adventures in Extreme Reading which was about the author deciding to read through a shelf of books at the New York Society Library. I was inspired to read through a shelf of my own and spent some time thinking about what criteria I would use to select a shelf at the library.

And then I realized that I should just select a shelf at my house since I had 34 shelves of fiction of my own to read through (sprinkled with some non-fiction) and that I kept on overlooking them in favour of shiny new books that I bought from book stores/book sales that were stacked beside my bed or shiny new library books. So I did the GON-HEG shelf during that last year and a half (well, I'm still working Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories).

All this to say that I've picked a new Shelf for this year and that's one of my goals: To read the shelf from FLO to GET. There's about 30 books on a shelf, and I'm hoping I can use at least 5 of them for the BaW Bingo.

So, goals:

1. Read The Shelf

2. BaW Bingo

3. Read one book in French.

4. Complete SEA Homeschoolers Reading Challenge (hopefully also some overlap between The Shelf/BaW Bingo and this).

I don't have a specific amount I'm aiming for but hopefully more than this year. I've been keeping track for 4 years now and this past year was my lowest number by far (80 something).

I'm hoping that with fewer afternoon activities this term I can stick to my goal of having the kids and I read all at the same time for 30 minutes a day (each of us independently).

The Shelf: From LEQ to LES Adventures in Extreme Reading[/code]

This sounds interesting. So, just to be clear, you're reading from one of your own shelves and you organize your books by alphabetizing by author's last name? Or you're reading from the library?

I have most of my shelves (sort of) organized by genre/subject, so I'm not sure the challenge would work the same way at my house but I'm intrigued.

• Like 12

This sounds interesting. So, just to be clear, you're reading from one of your own shelves and you organize your books by alphabetizing by author's last name? Or you're reading from the library?

I have most of my shelves (sort of) organized by genre/subject, so I'm not sure the challenge would work the same way at my house but I'm intrigued.

I'm reading from my own shelves.  I have mine categorized by genre/subject as well but at some point in the distant past I actually created a separate absolutely not used by any library anywhere category called 'stories'.  It's separate from all the formal history, psych/sociology/anthropology, theatre/drama/plays, sci-fi/fantasy, mythology, science and other categories but does incorporate a lot of non-fiction that just seemed ... storylike for lack of a better word.  So memoirs and biographies tend to get thrown into stories.

• Like 13

I just finished Norwegian Wood.

Wow.

I love this book.

Oh good! I just picked it up today and will start tonight or tomorrow.

My 2017 reading has gotten off to a strange start -- literally! My first two books are Murakami's The Strange Library and Arnaldur Indridason's Strange Shores. The Murakami was short and delightfully bizarre, and a beautiful book to hold and look at -- true book art with the illustrations and cover that opens vertically.  

I can't talk too much about the Indridason as many other BaW mystery lovers are also reading his series of Inspector Erlender mysteries. Suffice it to say it is beautifully written, dreamlike, bittersweet and ultimately very satisfying. Early on I had to open google maps and look for the places he was describing as it set outside Reykjavic.

I'm also reading a few chapters a night of Georgette Heyer's Cotillion, and am getting such a kick out of it. It reads like a 1930s screwball-comedy movie.  Love having the kindle for reading in bed -- it is so light to hold, and I don't have to struggle with the lamp on my bedside table which never has produced the right amount of light for bedtime reading.

And on Audible I'm listening to The Hundred Days, the 19th Master and Commander novel. And yes, consuming books via audio is just as worthwhile as reading them -- my memory of the stories, setting and characters are the same whether I heard the book or read it.  I wish I could underline a quote sometimes, but I'm most often driving when listening, so am out of luck in that regard!!  

My reading year is off to a good start as life is still quiet around here. My regular life hasn't kicked into full gear yet so I've been able to enjoy long, quiet afternoons with a book.  It's one of the perks to having an empty nest, but then again when I was homeschooling we'd spend long winter afternoons with books, so not much has changed!

• Like 16

To all the newbies feeling overwhelmed/intimidated:

I think most of us felt that way when we first joined, with the possible exception of those who were here when Robin first started these threads. I can guarantee the following.

-No one will judge you for your choice of books.

-No one will judge you for how few or how many books you read.

-No one will judge you for your reading speed.

-You will definitely expand your reading horizons. You'll find authors, titles, and genres that you never thought you'd read. You'll find books in genres you already like.

We don't judge the person reading the book but we do judge books. Wanna see?

Stacia, what do you think of Wuthering Heights?  (Everybody stand back)

If you click on a book you have read, in the middle of the page there is a section 'my review', click on 'edit review' (bottom right). Then below the block 'What did you think', click on 'more details' and 'Number of times I've read this book' appears. HTH.

:hurray:

Speaking of desserts ... I made this on NYE to serve in chocolate cups and with berries.  It was awesome.

Cheesecake Mousse

• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and lemon peel until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Divide among 6 dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

You are my new favorite person. What are chocolate cups? I think I need them in my life.

To make newbies feel better please know that I have not finished a book yet.   

• Like 17

Heck, I haven't even started one yet. Ă°Å¸â„¢Æ’ Not in the mood for Spartacus at the moment. No wonder I'm grumpy.... off to look through my dusty virtual shelves.

• Like 16

We don't judge the person reading the book but we do judge books. 

I sometimes judge the people who write the books.

Looking at you, Truman Capote.

Looking at you, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Looking at you, Virginia Woolf.

Your comedies are not funny, Shakespeare.

You are welcome. Thirkell is one of my favorite authors so I love hearing that others enjoy her. If you like Stevenson, then you should also like E.M. Delafield. And take a look at Barbara Pym's Excellent Women. Wonderfully wry.

Jotting those names down too. Thank you Jane in NC !  (So happy to be gifted with more new, to me, author discoveries  :drool5:  )

What DE Stevenson books are you reading?  She's a new discovery for me and I'm loving her.

I haven't gotten mine yet.  My library doesn't have it so I have to borrow from a friend. 

I've started out with the Miss Buncle books Ă¢â„¢Â¥   Nearly finished Miss Buncle Married

And you?

• Like 9

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Why, what's the matter,

That you have such a February face,

So full of frost, of storm and cloudiness?Ă¢â‚¬

Ă°Å¸ËœËœ

Why, what's the matter,

That you have such a February face,

Burnt lobster red in the sun's vehement cheerfulness?

:party: ing on in the Southern Hemisphere, where it's kind of  :zombie:  hot.

Hey look! Sunburn smilie!  :o

Jotting those names down too. Thank you Jane in NC ! (So happy to be gifted with more new, to me, author discoveries :drool5: )

I've started out with the Miss Buncle books Ă¢â„¢Â¥ Nearly finished Miss Buncle Married

And you?

I have only read one D.E. Stevenson book so far, Mrs. Tim of the Regiment or on Goodreads it's https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1404710.Mrs_Tim_Christie?ac=1&from_search=true called Mrs. Tim Christie. I loved it! :)

• Like 11

Okay, Okay. :toetap05: You know I can't resist. It's the book I LOVE to HATE. best-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif <bwa-ha-ha>

And here I'm all out of likes  :smilielol5:

You know, it's my few very negative reviews that get the most hits on my blog and the most likes and retweets on Twitter.

I haven't finished a book yet which is a bit weird for me, but I've started nearly a dozen.  I'm just in the mood to read a bunch at once.  Which of course means I'll have a week where I finish like 6.  That's always fun.

My big brother is in town.  He arrived yesterday just after noon.  He lives in Alaska and I haven't seen him in two years so I am happily spending my time hanging out with him instead of reading.  He has a linguistics thing in Austin this weekend (that includes a meeting about creating an AP linguistics course for high schoolers) So we're taking him up there this evening and then he'll come back to use Sunday afternoon.  I like my brother.  He's a funny guy.

• Like 18

OK, can someone explain to me (and talk to me like I am 5) - how does the Bingo thing work?  And other challenges as well.

Thank you!!

Look at the categories, pick a book that will fit it, read the book, and you've marked off the square (or finished a challenge).  Mostly it's just a way to broaden the sorts of books you read and have fun while doing it.

• Like 10

Looking for a debut author for the Bingo challenge? Saw this on Buzzfeed...

The 19 Best Literary Debuts Of 2016

Do 2016 debuts count? I had kinda assumed that square meant 2017 debut because otherwise we could use any author's first book (author's debut, rather than debut author). Every author was a debut author at one point, and in case we can use any author's debut, here's one list of those. 

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 11

We don't judge the person reading the book but we do judge books. Wanna see?

Stacia, what do you think of Wuthering Heights?  (Everybody stand back)

:hurray:

You are my new favorite person. What are chocolate cups? I think I need them in my life.

:smilielol5:

Oh, I might scare the newbies away if I say...

Okay, Okay. :toetap05: You know I can't resist. It's the book I LOVE to HATE. best-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif <bwa-ha-ha>

What I wrote about it after reading it:

I did not care for the story or characters -- a full complement of angry, mean, soulless, raving, spiteful, whiny, &/or lunatic characters. What a stressful book to read.

Originally, I thought I would give it three stars for the writing, but I have decided that the horrible characters & the long, somewhat boring plot lower the overall score. (I gave it one star.)

And, added to my intense dislike of Wuthering Heights, you can count Twilight and Perfume there too.  :ack2:  May they all rot together.

:rant:

(Hey, Mom-ninja made me do it! :Angel_anim: )

Oh man, I can't believe I missed this! It must have been before my time on this thread.  Stacia, it might interest you to know that my very first book-related post, back before I knew that BaW existed, was a post on the High School Board called What's Up With Wuthering Heights.  Three pages of discussion mostly on the topic of how much WH sucks.

I knew you were a good person  ;)  :smilielol5:

• Like 12

I finished listening to Haruki Murikami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running yesterday.  I really liked the book, and I really liked the author - I feel like we'd get along very well.  Maybe from separate tables in a coffee shop, or sitting alone at a bar with a couple of seats between us.  But we'd be on the same wavelength. It almost makes me want to give his books another try.  Almost, but not.  :lol:

I also finished Wool which would be a good dystopia for anyone interested in the genre.  Long though, it's 500+ pages. It was originally self-published in pieces, and I know that I read the first two parts at least back when they first came out. But it's got all 5 parts together now, and there are two more books in the trilogy which I'm going to read too.  It is about a future world where the atmosphere has been rendered toxic by . . . and the people live in a silo underground.  The characterization is really good, and it's a solid story. It does drag in parts - Part 4 was a little slow - but overall an intelligent and readable dystopia.

• Like 12

Do 2016 debuts count? I had kinda assumed that square meant 2017 debut because otherwise we could use any author's first book. (And in case we can, here's one list of those.) 

Ah, I was reading "Debut Author" as meaning the author's first book, whenever it was published, rather than a current-year debut.  Robin, we need a judgment!

• Like 6

I also finished Wool which would be a good dystopia for anyone interested in the genre.  Long though, it's 500+ pages. It was originally self-published in pieces, and I know that I read the first two parts at least back when they first came out. But it's got all 5 parts together now, and there are two more books in the trilogy which I'm going to read too.  It is about a future world where the atmosphere has been rendered toxic by . . . and the people live in a silo underground.  The characterization is really good, and it's a solid story. It does drag in parts - Part 4 was a little slow - but overall an intelligent and readable dystopia.

I second Wool as a good choice for dystopian fiction.  I read it 4 years ago and have been wanting to read the next two books but they weren't available at our library last time I checked.  Even DH read it and enjoyed it (he used to be a hard core sci-fi guy but his reading has dropped off dramatically in the last 15 years and I rarely see him pick up a book and even more rarely finish one).

• Like 7

Wow!!  You ladies are hard core!

Only 3 days into the year and the thread already 6 pages long!

It's always like this at the beginning of a new year, but it slows down. Some weeks we're more talkative but the first week is always the longest thread.

And I don't even always follow-through on reading what I think I will read. It depends on my mood, the week, the time, the unexplained, The Twilight Zone, zombie invasions, etc.... ;) :D

Also if someone on BaW recommended a book that sounds good and you can't wait to read it. :D

Ah, I was reading "Debut Author" as meaning the author's first book, whenever it was published, rather than a current-year debut.  Robin, we need a judgment!

I interpreted it that way too. Robin, can you clarify?

I forgot to quote but I read Wool when it first came out on Kindle (I hadn't heard of it when it was still blog posts) and then had to wait for Shift and Dust to be published. I enjoyed the entire series but the first one was my favorite.

• Like 11

Btw, your comments on Murakami had me lol. Have you read one of his fiction books?

Just The Strange Library along with you guys last January. It's wasn't really my kind of book. I'd be open to a suggestion if there's one you think I'd like, but I can only take magical realism in very small doses.

I'm really enjoying Tail of the Blue Bird, though.  It has mystical components, but it's also a mystery and a character-driven book.  I don't know if it counts as MR or no. Such a fuzzy genre.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 10

Just The Strange Library along with you guys last January. It's wasn't really my kind of book. I'd be open to a suggestion if there's one you think I'd like, but I can only take magical realism in very small doses.

I read 1Q84 with BaW a few years ago, then later read Kafka on the Shore. While I'm not sorry I read them - I don't feel like it was wasted time - it was enough to know I'm not really interested in reading any more Murakami.

• Like 12