Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

Two votes for The Circle as my dystopian choice, so I'm going with that. :)

So how is it that Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer considered flufferton?  I guess I am taking my cue from the 'fluff' in flufferton and I object!  LOL!  Gaskell and Austen were great women writers who did not write fluff at all.  And Georgette Heyer wrote admirable accurate historical fiction with great characters, lots of references to Shakespeare, and wonderful dialogue.  Granted she was rather formulaic so I won't put her into the category of truly great, but she is way better than other stuff I'd considered 'fluff.'  My inner feminist is rebelling against calling these authors fluffertons.  Is it because they are women writers and have an element of romance in many of their books?

But maybe I don't know the history of the term, having never heard it before I saw the 52 Reads bingo card.  Don't want to jump to conclusions.  Someone enlighten me!

The term came about as an extension of Downton Abbey - Flufferton Abbey. I don't recall the exact definition but I think it involved period costumes and certain manners/expected behavior. From there it kind of branched out to comfort reads, which are different for everyone. 

I do agree with you that Austen and Gaskell aren't light and fluffy, but that's because I read the social satire in their novels, not just the romance. However, for some people that's their Flufferton.

ETA: AggieAmy coined the term, so she can give you a better description/definition.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 20

To all the newbies feeling overwhelmed/intimidated:

I think most of us felt that way when we first joined, with the possible exception of those who were here when Robin first started these threads. I can guarantee the following.

-No one will judge you for your choice of books.

-No one will judge you for how few or how many books you read.

-No one will judge you for your reading speed.

-You will definitely expand your reading horizons. You'll find authors, titles, and genres that you never thought you'd read. You'll find books in genres you already like.

• Like 34

So how is it that Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer considered flufferton?  I guess I am taking my cue from the 'fluff' in flufferton and I object!  LOL!  Gaskell and Austen were great women writers who did not write fluff at all.  And Georgette Heyer wrote admirable accurate historical fiction with great characters, lots of references to Shakespeare, and wonderful dialogue.  Granted she was rather formulaic so I won't put her into the category of truly great, but she is way better than other stuff I'd considered 'fluff.'  My inner feminist is rebelling against calling these authors fluffertons.  Is it because they are women writers and have an element of romance in many of their books?

But maybe I don't know the history of the term, having never heard it before I saw the 52 Reads bingo card.  Don't want to jump to conclusions.  Someone enlighten me!

Flufferton just describes the particular style; it doesn't necessarily mean it's "fluff". It lets the other boardies know what they can expect from the story. AggieAmy had a great post with more information, but her definition is below.

• A happy endingÂ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ If you are crying at the end of the book it does NOT qualify.  A Flufferton book has the couple getting together, the mystery solved, the situation put right tidily.  If anyone has died during the course of the book they had better have deserved it.
    • SettingÂ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ A lot of the charm in these books is being able to sneak away to someplace wonderful for a visit.  ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s easy to imagine that the cuppa tea weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re having isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really in our living room but the morning room of our manor house.  Gritty?  Realistic?  Downtown Detroit in the 1960Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s?  Nope.  Not Flufferton appropriate. 
    • CharactersÂ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ We love these characters.  They have charm.  They make us smile.  We wish we knew them in real life.   
    • HumorÂ Ă¢â‚¬â€œ A mandatory ingredient.  Some books have us laughing out loud in ways that make our family worry about our mental stability.  Some books have just an occasional chuckle.  All books have at least some. 
    • Re-readability - Absolutely.  These are the books that we've read so many times that there are sections we've memorized. 

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 21

I think most of us felt that way when we first joined, with the possible exception of those who were here when Robin first started these threads. I can guarantee the following.

-You will definitely expand your reading horizons. You'll find authors, titles, and genres that you never thought you'd read. You'll find books in genres you already like.

Well said.

• Like 14

Sewingmama, you do you. If you can read one book a month then that is what you can do. Enjoy it. I know this group is called Book a Week but we all do things different. Some read way more than that and others way less. It's not about the numbers, it's about the experience.

Again, you do you. Ă°Å¸â€™â€¢

Now, that being said.... I finished my first book of the year. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“ It was a memoir written by Brennan Manning entitled All is Grace. I feel like a dishrag after finishing it this morning. Manning was a divorced ex-Priest who struggled with alcohol most of his adult life. As one whose family member is an alcoholic, this book hit real close to home.

DawnM, I looked at that list of unputdownables and the only one (of the ones that I have read) that I would put in that category is the Agatha Christie one--And Then There Were None. Elizabeth Alexander's is very good, too, but I wouldn't classify it as 'unputdownables.'

• Like 18

Is there any way to adjust this on old books you have already marked as read?  I'm not figuring out how to do this... 

If you click on a book you have read, in the middle of the page there is a section 'my review', click on 'edit review' (bottom right). Then below the block 'What did you think', click on 'more details' and 'Number of times I've read this book' appears. HTH.

• Like 11

All the above is so true. You don't need to do any of the various challenges like read-alongs, bingo, A to Z, or the birthstone bookology. They're all completely optional. We all enjoy seeing what other people are reading, and it often leads to more conversations and rabbit trails.

I'm especially excited when someone adores a book and shares it here. I'm always looking for new books! I read The Sunne in Splendour because other posters praised it so highly, and I plan on reading The Plover, another favorite.

• Like 16

If you click on a book you have read, in the middle of the page there is a section 'my review', click on 'edit review' (bottom right). Then below the block 'What did you think', click on 'more details' and 'Number of times I've read this book' appears. HTH.

Yes, this helps! Thanks!!! :)

• Like 7

Oh my gosh I would LOVE that book! Can you put the ISBN# on here when you have a chance? I tried looking on Amazon but didn't come up. That book would be right up my alley since reading Frankenstein (for the first time ever) last fall. :)

Looks like I'm just talking to myself here tonight ... did everyone go to bed early?

I have a favor to ask. DD got a book from an aunt for Christmas that is Tales of Terror from Penny Dreadfuls. The authors are well known and so are some of the stories but they are not at all my genre so I just don't know if it's appropriate or not. What do you gals think? My first thought is to put it away for a bit but I don't want to be too harsh with a present.

Frankenstein (the 1818 edition -which is supposed to be more terrifying?!?! I didn't even know there was more than one edition.)

The Adventure of the German Student by Washington Irving

The Wehr-Wolf by Richard Thomson

The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe

Sawney Beane: The Man Eater by Charles Whitehead

Aurelia or the Tale of a Ghoul by ETA Hoffman

Wake Not the Dead by Johann Ludwif Tieck

The Dream-Woman by Wilkie Collins

The Night in the Grave

The Case of Lady Sannox by Arthur Connan Doyle

The Diary of a Madman by Guy de Maupassant

George Dobson's Expedition to Hell by James Hogg

Strange Case of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Setevenson

The Apparition of Lord Tyrone to Lady Beresford

Lost in a Pryarmid or The Mummy's Curse by Louisa May Alcott

In Kropsburg Keep by Ralph Adams Cram

The Buried Alive by John Galt

The Dualistist by Bram Stoker

The Executioner by William Godwin

Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street by James Malcolm Rymer

I'll be the outlier here -- my parents did not read to me past toddler hood, and they did not read much at all. I don't actually remember ever seeing them reading.  And neither were either of my brothers readers.  But I have been an avid reader since 1st grade (perhaps before but 1st grade is the first books I remember reading).  On the other side, neither child is an avid reader at this point, even though I have read to them like crazy, have many books in the house, and of course, I read a lot in front of them too.  Although younger may get there as she becomes more confident in her reading ability and older did actually read all day today for the first time ever,

Outlier here, too! My mother did not read to me past kindergarten and she does not like reading AT ALL. As in, I never saw her read growing up. She simply does not read. Since I left the house 20+ years ago, she has read one children's series (Fablehaven) and that is it. She does not read the newspaper, magazines, nada. It is quite amusing that I read so voraciously. I suspect she may have an undiagnosed LD. She works in a professional job and has a college degree, but has zero desire or inclination to read. My brother does read. I am not sure how much fiction, but he definitely reads periodicals.

• Like 13

So a recommendation for The Circle?  I saw the movie preview yesterday and had never heard of this title by Eggers!

Meh, it was fine. I gave it 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads. I felt like it was pretty clumsy, plot-wise, and the characters could have been better developed. But it had some important and intriguing themes. Definitely want to see what they do with the movie.

I got my bookgroup to read The Circle right after it came out in paperback, not because I loved it (I thought it was really overdone) but because I wanted to talk about (I thought it made some excellent points very well, and also that it was chillingly possible, and also since we are in Silicon Valley we pretty much recognized all the places and aspects of the companies mentioned.)

I hadn't heard that it was being made into a movie.  It's going to be interesting to see whether it would be exaggerated enough to make the book's points or not.  Not all that easy to move into a visual presentation, I think.

There is a decided lack of art that reflects or focusses on technology that is NOT dystopian, which The Circle is.  

I would like to see more focus on this.

The exceptions I have noted over the years are:

"The First $25 Million Is Always The Hardest" (this is a book that I read over and over)

and the play:

"Pick Up Ax", which refers to one of the very first computer games, 'Adventure' I believe, all text, no pictures, no instructions.  

Both of those works are about tech startups, and they are fantastic.  

I agree with you -- it will be difficult to express some of the themes via film. Time will tell if they get it right.

One book with strong Lutheran or similar characters (ideas anyone?)

The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz? Or something by Katie Schuermann?

• Like 11

Flufferton just describes the particular style; it doesn't necessarily mean it's "fluff". It lets the other boardies know what they can expect from the story. AggieAmy had a great post with more information, but her definition is below.

•  

Thanks for the great explanation!  I have my own term for these kinds of books, "lovely books."  Thought I think I extended my list to just any book that I found satisfying and well written without too much of an existential edge.  

http://strewing.blogspot.com/p/lovely-books.html

• Like 12

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lincolnthompson/53-books-you-wont-be-able-to-put-down?utm_term=.vuM2b5r70W#.rsE4wGZNK1

Any of these truly, "Can't put down" books?

I have only read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and I plan to try to read it again this year.

Recommend any of them?

PS:  Oh, I read about 1/2 of The Timetraveler's Wife but it wasn't my thing.

I have read or tried to read about a dozen of the books on the list. I found some quite pleasant but not unputdownable (?). One of my most disliked popular books...Time Traveller's Wife is on the list. One great book that I have never encountered on a list but love is there....Think of a Number. One of Dd's favorites is there...Serafina. Ready Player One which probably really was tough to put down is there. I think it probably is a list with a couple of great books for everyone. I doubt most people are going to enjoy all.

Heather :grouphug: to you and your dd. I somehow managed to see that news item and as someone who grew up skiing was horrified. The truth is I can so very easily imagine it happening.

Lots of great book ideas to investigate. The Circle seems to keep appearing. I think I actually saw one of the quilt books that Loesje recommends today. Unfortunately, I was 2 hours from home. :( I should have looked closer but now recognize the last name.

On reading to children....I was read to frequently as a child. My step grandmother was a first grade teacher and when shen retired I received an incredible collection of books. My mom took it from there! We did Sonlight for years. I read to my kids for hours every day. I have one voracious reader and one more technical reader. They both read but dd way more!

• Like 14

Sorry I pushed post and left, when I came back it said I had not posted.

Amy, Before I forget dd said she will look at the story list for you when I give it to her! ;)

Eta...dd isn't familiar with many of them and this is her favourite genre. She took the list and plans to read them. :lol: She can let you know when she's done.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

Thanks for the great explanation!  I have my own term for these kinds of books, "lovely books."  Thought I think I extended my list to just any book that I found satisfying and well written without too much of an existential edge.  

http://strewing.blogspot.com/p/lovely-books.html

So many of your authors listed are favorites of mine too -

Elizabeth Gaskell

Jane Austen

George Eliot

Anthony Trollope

Charles Dickens (though I wouldn't call his novels Flufferton, lovely, or particularly easy reads)

Shakespeare (same as Dickens)

I want to like Graham Greene but I think I started with the wrong novel of his. Last year I tried to read The Quiet American, but I was bored. I keep meaning to try something else.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

I need to go back and read the discussion on audiobooks. I have four long drives (12+ hours each) coming up within the next 10 days and listening to audiobooks is what makes the drive tolerable. I was hoping to count those books. I'll listen to the books regardless of whether or not they count for BAW and I'll still track them in my bullet journal and on Goodreads so I'll still come out all right in he end but it feels like I'll be losing 48 hours of prime reading time.

• Like 13

I need to go back and read the discussion on audiobooks. I have four long drives (12+ hours each) coming up within the next 10 days and listening to audiobooks is what makes the drive tolerable. I was hoping to count those books. I'll listen to the books regardless of whether or not they count for BAW and I'll still track them in my bullet journal and on Goodreads so I'll still come out all right in he end but it feels like I'll be losing 48 hours of prime reading time.

They do count for BaW. 

I used to think reading was superior to listening to a book but have since changed my mind. Both are valid ways to "read" a book. I knew a homeschool family years ago and the mom told me they all had learning disabilities of some sort. If it wasn't for audio books she said, her kids would not have knowledge of the classics. They listened to many books as a family, plus each family member had their favorites they listened to on their own.

I don't think you have to have a learning disability or vision problem to justify audio books, but talking with her made me rethink the validity of audio books.

• Like 17

I have read or tried to read about a dozen of the books on the list. I found some quite pleasant but not unputdownable (?). One of my most disliked popular books...Time Traveller's Wife is on the list. One great book that I have never encountered on a list but love is there....Think of a Number. One of Dd's favorites is there...Serafina. Ready Player One which probably really was tough to put down is there. I think it probably is a list with a couple of great books for everyone. I doubt most people are going to enjoy all.

Heather :grouphug: to you and your dd. I somehow managed to see that news item and as someone who grew up skiing was horrified. The truth is I can so very easily imagine it happening.

Lots of great book ideas to investigate. The Circle seems to keep appearing. I think I actually saw one of the quilt books that Loesje recommends today. Unfortunately, I was 2 hours from home. :( I should have looked closer but now recognize the last name.

On reading to children....I was read to frequently as a child. My step grandmother was a first grade teacher and when shen retired I received an incredible collection of books. My mom took it from there! We did Sonlight for years. I read to my kids for hours every day. I have one voracious reader and one more technical reader. They both read but dd way more!

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like Time Traveler's Wife.

• Like 9

As a child, Flannery O'Connor wrote in the margin of her copy of Alice in Wonderland, "Awful. I wouldn't read this book."

Can't say I disagree. I forced myself through once for each child and I'm done. It's the only book I've ever read that makes me feel somewhat unwell.

Added: "You'll need a line item in your budget for books and related items."  :D

• Like 12

Elizabeth Gaskell

Jane Austen

George Eliot

Anthony Trollope

Charles Dickens (though I wouldn't call his novels Flufferton, lovely, or particularly easy reads)

I want to like Graham Greene but I think I started with the wrong novel of his. Last year I tried to read The Quiet American, but I was bored. I keep meaning to try something else.

Maybe try Greene's The Tenth Man. It held my interest and it's short so no big time investment if you're not into it.

I'm joining this challenge for the first time. I've informally followed along for years but have decided to make it official this year. I've started with Supporting Positive Behaviors in Kids and Teens with Down Syndrome and The Little Prince. Neither is very long and I've been meaning to get around to Little Prince for years. 

I'm making up my own categories and hope to have a list ready soon to keep me accountable to myself.

• Like 12

Not book related.  Just really sad.  Prayers and good thoughts requested.

You might have seen on the news about the tragic accident at a ski resort in Colorado.  A mother and her two girls fell about 25 feet from a ski lift chair.  The mother died.  The 12 year old was treated and released.  The 9 year old as far as we know is still in the hospital.  There's no news on her condition currently.

The younger girl is one of the students at the taekwondo at the studio we go to.  My daughter is an assistant program director/junior instructor there and she is just beside herself because she loves all "her kids" so much.  The studio is sending flowers for the family.  I suggested get well cards from however many students/parents want to make/buy them for Taylor.  9 year olds love mail, right?

It's just so sad :(

Heather, I am so sorry for your community's loss.  :grouphug:

• Like 12

Thank you for this. I have spent hours researching BAW recommended authors and titles of books and I admit I am feeling out of my league. To be honest, most of the books I have read in the past few years have been modern YA Fiction (fluff) or textbooks, research articles, etc (indepth material).Since joining BAW, I feel like a tourist visiting a new country and trying to fit in all the sites without a guide book. I should probably slow down, enjoy the books I have on hand, and come back to the BAW recommendations when I am ready for something new.

• Like 18

Elizabeth Gaskell

Jane Austen

George Eliot

Anthony Trollope

I have to be in the mood for Greene because he is dark.  Our Man in Havana is actually funny so it feels lighter even as it satirizes the international spy stuff going on during the cold war.  Or if you want to go to his darker stuff, either The Power and the Glory or The End of the Affair would be my recommendations.  Both are powerful.  They are not flufferton.  I think as my list got longer I moved away from actual lovely books into all my favorites.

• Like 11

They do count for BaW. 

I used to think reading was superior to listening to a book but have since changed my mind. Both are valid ways to "read" a book. I knew a homeschool family years ago and the mom told me they all had learning disabilities of some sort. If it wasn't for audio books she said, her kids would not have knowledge of the classics. They listened to many books as a family, plus each family member had their favorites they listened to on their own.

I don't think you have to have a learning disability or vision problem to justify audio books, but talking with her made me rethink the validity of audio books.

Thank you! Yay me!

• Like 10

This thread is overwhelmingly long in a short amount of time. If I'm to finish my books I'll need to avoid this thread. Oh the irony :laugh: Consider yourselves all liked. 

Steampunk seems to be one of the Bingo squares being asked about most. We had a Steampunk weekly challenge a few years ago which sent me into loads of research trying to wrap my mind around the concept. First it's meant to be fun. People travel from all over to attend Steampunk events in Whitby (Bram Stoker fame). I just discovered an online publication they do. Here's a relevant page http://steampunkjournal.org/guidelines-of-steampunk/.

We had a Steampunk wedding that the dc's rang at which everyone on the church support staff still talks about because even 80 yo ladies thought it was a hoot! They even served ice cream in our cemetery to everyone involved.....so my dc's loved it! :) I was the super cool older person who knew what steampunk was thanks to BaW. ;) :lol:

My favourite Steampunk series is Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series starting with Soulless. The Soulless series definitely has adult content but some of our more gentle readers have made it through them happily....a few scenes require a lot of quick page turning in the second book especially. She has another series called Finishing School which is appropriate for pre teens and up.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2891665.Gail_Carriger

Love hearing about the wedding and your 'rockin' role there as a mama hip to the Steampunk theme. I've seen the PP series recommended here before. Perhaps it was a few years ago when we did this as a challenge? I couldn't get past the vampire thing even though folks here raved about it so I went with Lady of Devices from the Magnificent Devices series which I enjoyed as a quick page-turner. Planning on reading at least a couple more books from the series this year. Here's a GR list of steampunk novels. Time Machine and Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea are on it for those interested in a classical approach to their steampunk.

My outer feminist concurs :lol:  though it appears someone down thread has explained the reasoning behind the word. I have to admit I never could get into Georgette Heyer. Perhaps this is the year to try again since she seems quite popular with some of the wise women here. Elizabeth Gaskell, though, I love! 

• Like 16

How are you all coming up with your lists?

I started using Goodreads seriously last year. Whenever I hear or read about an interesting book, I add it to my to-be-read (TBR) list. The Book-A-Week threads are an excellent resource to find new reads. Within a few weeks of following these threads, my list grew to several years worth of books.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy: I read short story anthologies to find new authors. Once I've discovered an author, I read through his or her back list. Tor.com and io9.com usually have good lists along with BAW sci-fi/fantasy readers.

Romance: Kareni always has great recommendations for romance. The Romantic Times starred reviews are a good resource as well.

Historical fiction: NPR and NY Times plus google ("best historical fiction for XXX time period" will pull up several pages of lists)

Science: Science Friday on NPR along with io9.com

History: Usually I'm drawn to a time period and just read whatever resources my library has available. If I really want to read a particular book and my library doesn't have it, I'll make an interlibrary loan request. This is another area where I use google.

Literature: I usually just use the BAW recommendations. Recommendations from other resources are hit or miss for me.

Goodreads' lists are helpful as well. "Books with produce labels," "Books with yellow covers", "Best westerns with female leads". Here's a link to Listopia with the "female" tag: https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/female. It's easy to get lost on rabbit trails when browsing these lists.

• Like 11

Thank you for this. I have spent hours researching BAW recommended authors and titles of books and I admit I am feeling out of my league. To be honest, most of the books I have read in the past few years have been modern YA Fiction (fluff) or textbooks, research articles, etc (indepth material).Since joining BAW, I feel like a tourist visiting a new country and trying to fit in all the sites without a guide book. I should probably slow down, enjoy the books I have on hand, and come back to the BAW recommendations when I am ready for something new.

Please share your reading! My older two enjoy YA so I'm always on the lookout for recommendations. (I enjoy YA too; I'm just trying to cull my reading lists before adding more books)

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 9

Thank you, Kathy. Well said! I'll repeat for everyone's benefit. You do NOT have to read a book a week. The intent is to read. We always need a goal, something to strive for. You may think 52 is impossible so set a lower amount. Then forget it and read to read. Enjoy yourself and forget about numbers. Reading is as necessary as breathing for me. When I was 6 and learned to read, I fell in love and stayed enamored my whole life. Now I get grouchy, if I don't have something to read. My book choices vary from light to serious as well as from historical to futuristic. Depends on my stress levels. And I love chunky books so completely understand the time they take to read. As Kathy said so eloquently, you won't be judged by the speed, how many or type of books you read. So dive into your books, take as many mind journeys as you can handle and have fun!

• Like 20

Added: "You'll need a line item in your budget for books and related items."  :D

:lol:  The library in general and Overdrive in particular are my friends.

Maybe try Greene's The Tenth Man. It held my interest and it's short so no big time investment if you're not into it.

I have to be in the mood for Greene because he is dark.  Our Man in Havana is actually funny so it feels lighter even as it satirizes the international spy stuff going on during the cold war.  Or if you want to go to his darker stuff, either The Power and the Glory or The End of the Affair would be my recommendations.  Both are powerful.  They are not flufferton.  I think as my list got longer I moved away from actual lovely books into all my favorites.

Thanks. I'll take a look at these suggestions. I love being able to download samples to my Kindle. For those without an ereader, the "Look Inside" feature is the same thing.

• Like 12

I finished my first book of the year:

Twelve Drummers Drumming by C.C. Benison. I read a lot of mysteries and this one was a gem. While the book wasn't at all about Christmas, the plot came together well. I liked it enough that I'm going to read the next one in the (3 book) series.

Since I joined BaW I recognize more titels at the 'new bought books' shelf of our library.

I tend to focus on 'classics' and BaW is for broading my horizons.

As I often wait for translations I often read 'behind' discussions :)

I also don't plan my reading year otherwise then reading 'more' then last year.

• Like 14

After taking a couple of years off, I am going to join this year. Still haven't ever read 52 in year so hopefully this will be the year. :)

Finishing up Percy Jackson(reading along with my daughters) and am about to start Hillbilly Elegy.

• Like 15

Do you mean lists for the challenges or to-read lists in general?

In general -

When I first started using Goodreads I used it mostly to keep track of books I wanted to read. I'd often hear about a book and make a mental note that I want to read it, then promptly forget. With Goodreads, I'd add a book as soon after hearing about it as I could. 

I belong to a monthly IRL book club, so there are automatically 12 books I'm going to read for the year even though I don't know the titles in advance. I try to read all of the books, mostly because I like our meetings and feel bad going if I didn't read the book. :)

I only started making an annual list a few years ago. I found I was reading mostly classics and mysteries and wanted to branch out. I also found that I would often tell myself I want to read a certain book this year, but never get around to it. When I first made my list I gave myself just a few must-reads. I would list one literary fiction, one non-fiction (I was trying to read more non-fiction), one classic, one biography, autobiography or memoir, and one or two of those books I kept meaning to read. 

I always tried to keep my list realistic (and still do). I knew I needed to leave time to read the book club monthly choice, and also left room for books I might hear about along the way and want to read. 

I like having a combination of a list to follow with room to let my reading choices happen organically.

Once I joined in the BaW threads, my to-read list started growing and growing and growing. It's still growing.

For the challenges -

I don't always participate, but when I do there are several ways I find books for a challenge.

-A few threads ago Rose said she's going to try and get her bingo choices from her to-read/dusty books and I liked that idea. I plan to look through my TR list and see if any will fit some of the categories.

-Sometimes someone here will recommend a book for a certain category or challenge and the book looks good, so I copy them. No one minds. :)

-Occasionally one of my IRL books ends up fitting one of the challenge categories.

-I also like to browse in bookstores and the library, as well as Amazon, Overdrive, and Goodreads.

-If I decide on one book for a challenge but a different one appeals to me more, I allow myself the option to change.

• Like 17

Matryoshka:Oh, and am I understanding correctly that I can't double-dip in Bingo?  Like, a 500+ page book set in Eastern Europe only counts for one category or the other?  I've got lots of stuff that could fit 2-3 categories...[/size]

Yes, you understand correctly, no double dipping.

Eastern Europe - Oh, heck.  War and Peace is on my list, but my book count could go way down if I tackle that

Tackle it anyway, you won't regret it. 

Free Space - I can just stick whatever here?

Yes, any book you want! 

Finance - Gah, I don't wanna read about finance.  Anything readable for someone who doesn't really want to read about finance?

It doesn't have to be non fiction.  I left it pretty vague so can read a fiction book about a mystery surrounding finance such as mentioned in this goodreads list.  

Laughing Cat:  Speaking of the kids reading -- older would like to try the Bingo again this year (she managed to fill about a quarter/third of the spaces last year although no bingo's -- which was fantastic considering she is  dyslexic & reluctant reader) -- but I would like to know what you all think she could do for kids/spouse birth year?   I told her probably she could do someone in the family's birth year.

Awesome!  Yes, she can choose any family member's birthyear!  Parent, grandparent, siblings, aunts...   Lots to choose from.

Mumto2:    We had a Steampunk wedding that the dc's rang at which everyone on the church support staff still talks about because even 80 yo ladies thought it was a hoot! They even served ice cream in our cemetery to everyone involved.....so my dc's loved it! :) I was the super cool older person who knew what steampunk was thanks to BaW. ;) :lol:

So neat and yes, I bet you were super cool!

DawnM:  Any of these truly, "Can't put down" books?

I have only read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and I plan to try to read it again this year.

Recommend any of them?

Not those books in particular but several authors.  King's Duma Key or his son Joe Hill NOS4A2 is you like psychological Thrillers or light horror.

Angela:  I'm happy to report that dh is much better and Abby just seems to have a mild cold at the moment on the tail end of colds that started making the rounds before Christmas. [/size]emoji846.png Thanks for all the well-wishes! [/size]

Glad to hear!

• Like 10

Not book related.  Just really sad.  Prayers and good thoughts requested.

You might have seen on the news about the tragic accident at a ski resort in Colorado.  A mother and her two girls fell about 25 feet from a ski lift chair.  The mother died.  The 12 year old was treated and released.  The 9 year old as far as we know is still in the hospital.  There's no news on her condition currently.

The younger girl is one of the students at the taekwondo at the studio we go to.  My daughter is an assistant program director/junior instructor there and she is just beside herself because she loves all "her kids" so much.  The studio is sending flowers for the family.  I suggested get well cards from however many students/parents want to make/buy them for Taylor.  9 year olds love mail, right?

How tragic.  We've skied at Granby before and it must have just been some sort of freak accident because those lifts are generally so safe and slow. 

I saw that Erin posted my definition up thread so I won't repeat that but Flufferton isn't any sort of insult to writers.  I put men writers in my Flufferton Abbey category too ... PG Wodehouse, for example.  It was just a lighthearted term coined here to give a category to books that some of us read.  

We're a diverse group of readers and accepting of what anyone wants to read.  If you don't read any books written after 1900 ... great!  Or any books less than 600 pages ... great!  Or only read books written by Stephen King ... sure!  Or only read books with Fabio on the cover ... awesome!  Or only read books written in 1800's England ... come sit by me!     

Oh my gosh I would LOVE that book! Can you put the ISBN# on here when you have a chance? I tried looking on Amazon but didn't come up. That book would be right up my alley since reading Frankenstein (for the first time ever) last fall. :)

This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/Penny-Dreadfuls-Sensational-Terror-Classics/dp/1435157214

Sorry I pushed post and left, when I came back it said I had not posted.

Amy, Before I forget dd said she will look at the story list for you when I give it to her! ;)

Eta...dd isn't familiar with many of them and this is her favourite genre. She took the list and plans to read them. :lol: She can let you know when she's done.

Tell her I said Thank You.  Right now the book is tucked away in my closet. 

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 13

I came up with categories by browsing Pinterest.  Then I make up my own list by choosing selections from a bunch of lists.  I did it for the first time last year because I felt like I was in a real rut of only reading things I had already read or really bad romance novels that were free on Kindle.  I still read a bunch of that stuff, but at least now I'm also reading other things.  :p

Once I had my categories, I would Google "books about road trips" and usually Goodreads would be one of the top choices with a nice long list.  

• Like 13

I tried to read it years ago, but could not get into it. I may try again because I think it is sitting gathering dust on my shelf.

I couldn't put down The Time Travelers Wife but I think it was more like watching a train wreck for me. I guess I had to find out how it ended but after I got to the end I remember thinking, "Blah." I was on modified bed rest with my twins at the time, though, so I guess I had nothing better to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Speaking of desserts ... I made this on NYE to serve in chocolate cups and with berries.  It was awesome.

Cheesecake Mousse

• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and lemon peel until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Divide among 6 dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

• Like 14

Yes, I have to be different. I actually enjoyed Time Traveler's Wife. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸â„¢â‚¬

I liked it too! The last scene of the book gets me every time. How many days did she prepare? How much time did she devote to just waiting?

• Like 8

Hi all, I'm joining back in this year. I tried a couple years ago but with three little kids who weren't quite reading themselves and health issues, my personal reading time was sporadic. And I was getting frustrated with constant interruptions.

Now I have 2/3 of my kids reading well, health issues are improved, and have regular time carved out for me again! Plus all this Murakami talk lured me back in. I actually finished The Wind Up Bird Chronicle a few weeks ago. My library doesn't own a copy of Norwegian Wood, so I'll try to get it ILL.

Right now I'm reading The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean (forgive me for no links or fancy font - I'm operating 96% from my phone these days) and The Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.

DH and I are each trying to read at least 50 books this year, with five of those being shared titles. He's nearly finished with Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. I'm pretty sure he'll be plopping that in my lap when he's done.

• Like 20

Started Song of Solomon today, I'm having a hard time putting it down!

Has anyone read the Chernow book Hamilton? I need a book over 600 pages for the Modern Mrs Darcy book challenge and I want to pick a good one.

I read the kindle sample. It was good. I will probably download the rest of it when o finish Finding Manana.

• Like 12

I am so sorry to hear this. So incredibly sad.

Not book related. Just really sad. Prayers and good thoughts requested.

You might have seen on the news about the tragic accident at a ski resort in Colorado. A mother and her two girls fell about 25 feet from a ski lift chair. The mother died. The 12 year old was treated and released. The 9 year old as far as we know is still in the hospital. There's no news on her condition currently.

The younger girl is one of the students at the taekwondo at the studio we go to. My daughter is an assistant program director/junior instructor there and she is just beside herself because she loves all "her kids" so much. The studio is sending flowers for the family. I suggested get well cards from however many students/parents want to make/buy them for Taylor. 9 year olds love mail, right?

• Like 8