Menu

And now, George Michael dies...

VaKim

I'm surprised he was only 53...I would have guessed he was several years older than that.

Yes, I'm five years younger and I was thinking....man, he sure lived a lot more than I have.

According to TMZ, he died from heart failure. 

Imagine the concert going on in heaven right now. 

• Like 2

I just watched the movie Keanu, the movie about guys who infiltrate murderous drug dealers to

. One guys spend multiple scenes talking his love of  George Michael, and it's very sincere.  It was nice to have that reminder about how good George Michael was right before hearing this sad news. 

Yeah, I saw this trending on Facebook and had to look it up too.  I couldn't believe it.  I was hoping it was fake news.  Sadly, not so.

Ya know, we are just getting older.  I don't think this year has been any worse.  We are hitting that stage of life where entertainers we watched as teens are statistically more likely to die.  It's going to continue to accelerate.

My poor parents are 80 and it has been hard to watch them lose so many of their friends and family over the past 20 years.  My dad is the last of his siblings still alive.  He feels alone.  Almost all of his high school buddies are gone.  He's one of the last holding those memories.

This is life.

Edited by PollyOR
  • Like 5

We are hitting that stage of life where entertainers we watched as teens are statistically more likely to die.  It's going to continue to accelerate.

Well, yeah, but the average life expectancy for 53yo males is still 26.9 years:

http://life-span.healthgrove.com/

(That said, lifestyle does matter, of course)

ETA: At 53, some 93 are still alive out of 100 people born.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Yes, I'm five years younger and I was thinking....man, he sure lived a lot more than I have.

According to TMZ, he died from heart failure. 

Imagine the concert going on in heaven right now. 

I had no idea he had heart issues! I'd read he had pneumonia or something so I assumed it was from something related to that.

• Like 1

Well, yeah, but the average life expectancy for 53yo males is still 26.9 years:

http://life-span.healthgrove.com/

(That said, lifestyle does matter, of course)

ETA: At 53, some 93 are still alive out of 100 people born.

I am more surprised that so many entertainers from the 80s are still alive than they are starting to die.

When it is said that drug use shortens life expectancy it is not just from overdoses that they die.

• Like 3

I am more surprised that so many entertainers from the 80s are still alive than they are starting to die.

When it is said that drug use shortens life expectancy it is not just from overdoses that they die.

I agree... that's why I said lifestyle matters.

I did just look through the BBC's lists of famous entertainers who died in 2013-2015, and aside from a couple of drug (heroin) OD's in 2013, the youngest person to die whose name I recognized was Iain Banks, 59 (cancer). So, 53 still seems on the young side (that said, I didn't look further back than 2013 - maybe the past few years have just been unusually quiet).

• Like 1