Menu

Do you think in general the low fat diet advice is outdated?

SparklyUnicorn

I don't mean for certain very specific conditions, but would you think a doctor is rather outdated if they kept repeating the "eat low fat" and "cut out fat" stuff? 

I don't listen anyway.  If anything when they say eat low fat I make sure to go home and eat some more fat.  The doc I had mentioned low fat a few times and I figured eh well, some doctors just say this stuff.  So I went out and bought more bacon, got a big tub of coconut oil, and loaded up on butter.  Because I think the low fat stuff is BUNK. 

But then I thought, I dunno, am I just crazy (probably anyway), or is her advice just super duper outdated? 

Either way I felt like she was just reading from the medical check list from the Stone Ages. 

And BTW, for anyone following my health nuttiness, I'm feeling pretty darn good lately.  Lot of my weird symptoms are gone or have subsided considerably.  I'm not constantly sore.  Maybe it's all that extra fat.  :lol:

• Like 7

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to believe anymore!   I grew up with the notion that coconut is about the unhealthiest thing a person can eat.  Even 10 years ago, a doctor I knew who spent a lifetime studying fats, insisted that margarine was better than butter, and low-to-no-fat was the best diet. But on the other hand, even at that same time, I knew people who followed the Nourishing Traditions diet, which uses a lot of fat, and they were slender and healthy.   And, going even further back, in the 90's I worked with a woman who was very serious about following a low-to-no-fat diet, and worked out for 2 hours a day, but never lost any weight. She did eat a lot of candy (fat-free but not sugar-free stuff, like twizzlers and hard candy) and thought that was fine because it had no fat. But, her weight did not change!  Since the shift toward LCHF, I've wondered about her periodically.  

Gary Taube's book Why We Get Fat also changed my thinking.  I know I have done better on a LCHF diet (though too much of the wrong kinds of fats at the wrong time and/or in the wrong combination with other foods make my GERD flare, and coconut oil is the worst for that).   

• Like 1

I don't know what to believe anymore!   I grew up with the notion that coconut is about the unhealthiest thing a person can eat.  Even 10 years ago, a doctor I knew who spent a lifetime studying fats, insisted that margarine was better than butter, and low-to-no-fat was the best diet. But on the other hand, even at that same time, I knew people who followed the Nourishing Traditions diet, which uses a lot of fat, and they were slender and healthy.   And, going even further back, in the 90's I worked with a woman who was very serious about following a low-to-no-fat diet, and worked out for 2 hours a day, but never lost any weight. She did eat a lot of candy (fat-free but not sugar-free stuff, like twizzlers and hard candy) and thought that was fine because it had no fat. But, her weight did not change!  Since the shift toward LCHF, I've wondered about her periodically.  

Gary Taube's book Why We Get Fat also changed my thinking.  I know I have done better on a LCHF diet (though too much of the wrong kinds of fats at the wrong time and/or in the wrong combination with other foods make my GERD flare, and coconut oil is the worst for that).   

When I first read about low carb (I was in my early 20s), I wanted to give it a try, but in the beginning I was sure I was going to kill myself quickly with all the fat.  My mother bought skim milk, margarine, fat free salad dressings, fat free cookies, etc.  It never helped her.  In fact I think it made things worse.  She had diabetes and the advice at the time more heavily emphasized low fat than even low sugar.  Some stuff sure was obvious.  You don't live on Snicker's bars.  But she'd eat white bread sandwiches with fat free mayo.  Which is just loaded up with more sugar than regular mayo!  She never ever NEVER controlled her diabetes this way even though this exact meal was listed on a meal plan she had. 

I still have a hard time sometimes getting that voice out of my head that says "don't eat all that fat".  I swear it's making me feel better though! 

• Like 2

Yes. I think fat soluble vitamins arent getting digested and sent to the cells because the people arent eating the necessary amount of fat. That can lead to cancer. Then add in that those calories have been replaced by carbs and sugar, and we see the diabetics.

I think most diet advice is outdated.

The low-fat thing seemed to come around the time frying excessively seemed to be popular.  It took a long time after that for people to realize the difference between good fat (naturally occurring in food) and bad fat (added to and warped/twisted versions).

The only diet advice I give my own kids is eat what your body needs, pay attention to what you eat, and try to eat things that grow naturally.   

• Like 3

yes, I do.  I ignore diet advice given by drs - they have very little training in nutrition.   and other reasons. . . . .

It's gotten to the point where hearing it makes me cringe.  Like wait have you not spent any time learning about any of this stuff?  If you had, I have to wonder if you'd still be saying it. 

Then it makes me wonder what other bunk they are telling me.

It's just difficult to not have that nagging thought in your mind "they are professionals".  Growing up my parents believed whatever doctors told them.  In many instances it didn't work out so well for my parents.  Even now the stuff they tell my sister (she has very out of control diabetes).  After years of suffering (following their advice) she is now trying low carb.  No clue how that is working for her because my information about her at this point comes from my dad.  But after all that she is finally trying something they aren't telling her.  Makes me kind of angry really. 

No, I don't, but you probably already know that. I can already picture exactly who will agree with you and who won't. I don't imagine anyone has changed their minds here. Plus, this feels more like a JAWM kind of thread. I especially don't think the "raise your fat while also lowering your carbs" guideline is wise from a longevity perspective. From a personal perspective, it's the key to nausea and general malaise (it's not the "low carb flu" if it lasts for months).

However, I also think there's a wide range of what works and what's normal. So as long as your biometrics are in line and you maintain an active lifestyle and aren't miserable while you do it, then you do you.

• Like 7

No, I don't, but you probably already know that. I can already picture exactly who will agree with you and who won't. I don't imagine anyone has changed their minds here. Plus, this feels more like a JAWM kind of thread. I especially don't think the "raise your fat while also lowering your carbs" guideline is wise from a longevity perspective. From a personal perspective, it's the key to nausea and general malaise (it's not the "low carb flu" if it lasts for months).

However, I also think there's a wide range of what works and what's normal. So as long as your biometrics are in line and you maintain an active lifestyle and aren't miserable while you do it, then you do you.

Nope I don't mind that you disagree. 

I also think that different things work for different people too.  So if it makes you feel like crud then obviously it is not right for you.

• Like 3

I don't mean for certain very specific conditions, but would you think a doctor is rather outdated if they kept repeating the "eat low fat" and "cut out fat" stuff?

I don't listen anyway. If anything when they say eat low fat I make sure to go home and eat some more fat. The doc I had mentioned low fat a few times and I figured eh well, some doctors just say this stuff. So I went out and bought more bacon, got a big tub of coconut oil, and loaded up on butter. Because I think the low fat stuff is BUNK.

But then I thought, I dunno, am I just crazy (probably anyway), or is her advice just super duper outdated?

Either way I felt like she was just reading from the medical check list from the Stone Ages.

And BTW, for anyone following my health nuttiness, I'm feeling pretty darn good lately. Lot of my weird symptoms are gone or have subsided considerably. I'm not constantly sore. Maybe it's all that extra fat. :lol:

No, it is not outdated. Bottom line, one cannot beat the laws of physics. Calories in greater than calories out will make the body store the calories within fat cells. The other important thing to remember is that the liver turns most everything to glucose rapidly. The liver could care less whether it is fat, carbs, or protein.

Americans eat too much, period. Until we learn to manage the amount going into our mouths, what one eats is almost irrelevant. But, if someone is willing to buy books on the latest and greatest way to lose weight, so be it.

• Like 5

Yeah, I think it is pretty much outdated.  Especially when it is just a blanket, cut out fat.  Not just, cut out chips and twinkies, but eat lean meat or low fat milk.

On the news the other day I saw an article on an interesting study done here in Canada - tyhey compared people who drank low-fat milk with those who drank full-fat milk.  They were surprised to find the latter were thinner.  What they decided is those people were pobably eating less, because they felt more full.

I tend to not worry about fat when it's in what I unscientifically call real food,. (Or sugar, for that matter.)  It's more extra fat and sugar that sneaks in with things like junk food, especially if they are somehow man-made, like shortening or margarine.

• Like 3

I don't think it's outdated, but I do think it's short sighted of the fact that bodies are all different.

I was a firm low fat diet girl until my mid-40s. I'd had a slow steady creep in weight, despite diligently trying hard at the low fat thing, which had worked my entire life. My doc finally said, "try ketogenics" this past June. I was skeptical. But tried. Holy cow! The weight started coming off.

So, yeh, I'm not a hard core high fat low carb girl for everyone, but for me, now, it's working.

Whatever works, right?

• Like 1

As far as doctors - I think they do often give pretty standard advice - but I can see why they would tend to be conservative in adopting new diet information, new drug treatments, and so on.  It's easy to get caught up in fads, and at least with something established you know its been tried over a longer period of time.

But the thing about that with low-fat is that it doesn't seem to have worked, over a long period of time, to help people be more healthy.

• Like 2

Yes.

And a weird thing has happened where if you say something to the effect of "I believe canned diet advice from doctors about lowering fat intake is erroneous," people start proverbially shouting that BUT THE BODY NEEDS CARBOHYDRATES!!!!!!!!!

As if it's just those things, and furthermore fat and carbs are warring street gangs and you must pick a side.

People that need to lose weight for their health need to DO that, whatever safe way they can. Then they need to join the ranks of __everybody else__ and eat actual real food 99% of the time.

And no one but NO ONE who is emphatically  one way or the other super pro fat or super pro carbs+lowfat that I have met in real life eats enough vegetables IMO. Eat more kale, man, as the bumper stickers say.

No, it is not outdated. Bottom line, one cannot beat the laws of physics. Calories in greater than calories out will make the body store the calories within fat cells. The other important thing to remember is that the liver turns most everything to glucose rapidly. The liver could care less whether it is fat, carbs, or protein.

Americans eat too much, period. Until we learn to manage the amount going into our mouths, what one eats is almost irrelevant. But, if someone is willing to buy books on the latest and greatest way to lose weight, so be it.

Ok if we go by what you say here exactly, then it should not matter if one eats a lot of fat or a little fat.  Also, with this line of reasoning one could live great on lots of carbs too. 

Of course we know many people have trouble with too many carbs (hello diabetes).

So you are saying it's only about calories?  I'm actually not just talking about weight loss, however.  There is more to health than weight. 

• Like 1

Yes.

And a weird thing has happened where if you say something to the effect of "I believe canned diet advice from doctors about lowering fat intake is erroneous," people start proverbially shouting that BUT THE BODY NEEDS CARBOHYDRATES!!!!!!!!!

As if it's just those things, and furthermore fat and carbs are warring street gangs and you must pick a side.

People that need to lose weight for their health need to DO that, whatever safe way they can. Then they need to join the ranks of __everybody else__ and eat actual real food 99% of the time.

And no one but NO ONE who is emphatically  one way or the other super pro fat or super pro carbs+lowfat that I have met in real life eats enough vegetables IMO. Eat more kale, man, as the bumper stickers say.

I have always eaten a lot of vegetables . Vegetables either way have never caused me issues. 

I have always eaten a lot of vegetables . Vegetables either way have never caused me issues. 

I know. Barring allergies, have properly prepared veggies ever caused anyone any issues?

I guess when people don't mix it up enough and get like a vitamin deficiency or something from eating the same 7 things over and over.

In any case, carbohydrates aren't GOING anywhere.

Of more than 50 000 edible plant species in the world, only a few hundred contribute significantly to food supplies. Just 15 crop plants provide 90 percent of the world's food energy intake, with three rice, maize and wheat - making up two-thirds of this. These three are the staples of over 4 000 million people.

Although there are over 10 000 species in the Gramineae (cereal) family, few have been widely introduced into cultivation over the past 2 000 years. Rice feeds almost half of humanity. Per caput rice consumption has generally remained stable, or risen slightly since the 1960s. It has declined in recent years in many of the wealthier rice-consuming countries, such as Japan, the Republic of Korea and Thailand, because rising incomes have enabled people to eat a more varied diet.

And then, too, have you read the stuff about how it's *very* good for your body (if it is currently healthy) if you let it experience hunger every now and then?

I think that yes it is outdated and the low fat recommendations is still used as the official norm for all people, despite us fat enthusiasts in less official places.

Pick up any mainstream women's magazine and you'll see low fat snack/ meal suggestions. You may see some avocado and almond suggestions with the warning to not over do it.

Yeah people eat too much but I believe carbs are basically an appetite stimulant.

That said, I don't think people are lying if they say low fat has been beneficial for them. Just goes to show we're not all the same.

• Like 1

Just the language doctors tend to use around the intersection of diet and health grates on my nerves. For example, I had ("had" because he died in middle age) a relative whose doctor said out loud with his highly-trained face that aside from a hypertension, pre-diabetes and [something] with his liver...oh and he was like 80 pounds overweight... he was "very healthy." WTF does the word health mean to that doctor?!

Edited by OKBud

Outdated?  I don't know.  Exploited by businesses in a way that tends to undermine people's health by skewing them towards refined sugar?  Sure. 

I think that most people would manage just fine with some fat, some carbohydrates, some protein and lots of veg.  I'm not in favour of demonising foods.

• Like 11

Well, 23andme said my dna results show that if I eat X calories per day, and 10% or more of the calories are from fat, I will gain weight. Same calories, <10% from fat, I will not gain weight.

That does not mean I can eat any amount of calories and lose or maintain weight as long as my diet is low in fat. That is just one factor. For me it is an important factor, and I had already realized that decades before 23andme informed me.

Edited by RoughCollie
  • Like 4

I grew up on my dad's ultra low fat cardiac diet - to the point of having a critically low total cholesterol {doc actually told mom to take me for fast food at least twice a week to bring it up}. I gained weight terribly on the low fat diet - I was a chunky kid and chunky teen even though nutritionists would look at my diet log and say "I don't understand why you aren't losing weight - your diet is great". Nothing ever worked to lose weight except drastically cutting calories to unhealthy levels, and even then for only a short while. 

Fast forward to now. I've been doing paleo with a LOT of butter, eating all the stuff that is the opposite of the low-fat diet I grew up on. And I've lost 35lbs in 4 months. AND I feel better, I don't hurt, my skin is not dry, my hair is great and health is improving. 

It makes sense to me - I have a lot of native american ancestry and tendencies. The particular tribes I am ate a high fat high protein diet. So it makes sense to me that I would do best on a similar diet due to genetics. 

Edited by frugalmamatx
  • Like 5

I have to say that I own a restaurant where most of my patrons eat eggs, hamburgers/ fries, all kinds of bread, it's their normal diet and most are not overweight at all. Because we are in the mountains and most of my customers are outdoors enthusiasts. They hunt, fish, hike, snowshoe, ect. And they often do blue collar jobs that keep them active. Getting enough exercise is really important. When I lived in the city I forgot about people who *work* and then have active hobbies. It's a different lifestyle, and you can have more calories.

• Like 5

I think it's different for every person.  The advice should be "this has helped some people, that has helped some others, and you're encouraged to experiment to see what helps you."  (Obviously not including the radical things that can harm many of us.)

• Like 3

I think it is outdated.

I am old enough that I have seen a lot of ideas come and go. Balance is key I believe. Including getting enough exercise. I have had my fit bit for 3 weeks and have yet to break 10k steps......even on the day I worked like a maniac because I had just put my dog to sleep I only had about 7600 steps.

The best I feel is when I eat a lot of veggies and a lot of lean meats and a medium amount of good fats and good wine.

Unfortunately I can't seem to make myself stick to that way of eating. I am a carb addict......so when I try to add in a bit of starch or a chip or two I just go nuts and go overboard. Kinda the same with good fats. I can eat an entire avocado easily. But I think that is too much even though it is good fat.

It is tough. But I am 51 now and I can't stand the way I feel s weight on me.....still not over weight but almost....if I could lose 10 pounds I would feel better.....and I have been thinking hard about how to get there.

• Like 2

I think that "low-fat" just isn't specific enough.  There are good fats and crappy fats.  There are good carbs and bad carbs. But some people can't tolerate many carbs at all.  I think a lot of the things we've been told about what causes high cholesterol are bunk, BUT at the same time no one is talking enough about things that cause inflammation (well, we talk about it here; I mean in general lol) and some of those categories overlap.  I don't believe in cutting out entire food groups but I know some people do feel better that way.  *shrug* 

I rarely talk about diet with people in real life, honestly.  lol  Too stressful. And that's not good for my eating habits.  ;)

Well, 23andme said my dna results show that if I eat X calories per day, and 10% or more of the calories are from fat, I will gain weight. Same calories, <10% from fat, I will not gain weight.

That does not mean I can eat any amount of calories and lose or maintain weight as long as my diet is low in fat. That is just one factor. For me it is an important factor, and I had already realized that decades before 23andme informed me.

I think you may be referring to the gene I referenced above, which specifically affects saturated fat, not all fat. Unless you have an older 23andMe report (did you test several years ago?) I don't see any current reports regarding overall fat. 

Here's the information from 23andMe on this variant:

"In addition to diet and exercise, genetics plays a role in determining your body weight. People with two copies of the variant in this report tend to weigh more on a high saturated fat diet. This variant is near a gene called APOA2, which contains instructions for making a protein called apolipoprotein A-II (apo A-II). People with two copies of the variant produce less apo A-II protein than people with zero or one variant. Scientists are working to understand how apo A-II affects our bodyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s response to saturated fat. "

• Like 3

As the primary advice, yeah, I think it's outdated. I think we know that a healthy diet has to be multifaceted. You need to eat healthier fats and lowering fat intake is positive... but as the primary advice, it's not solid because it implies that you can eat all that "low fat" stuff, which is packed with sugars and sodium and preservatives. And that's not going to help anyone. Good dieting advice would talk about lowering fat intake AND sugar, and eating more whole foods and vegetables and fewer carbs in general, etc. etc.

• Like 3

I think that "low-fat" just isn't specific enough.  There are good fats and crappy fats.  There are good carbs and bad carbs. But some people can't tolerate many carbs at all.  I think a lot of the things we've been told about what causes high cholesterol are bunk, BUT at the same time no one is talking enough about things that cause inflammation (well, we talk about it here; I mean in general lol) and some of those categories overlap.  I don't believe in cutting out entire food groups but I know some people do feel better that way.  *shrug* 

I rarely talk about diet with people in real life, honestly.  lol  Too stressful. And that's not good for my eating habits.   ;)

That's another one I'm confused by.  People use the term healthy fats, but that does not mean the same thing to everyone.

• Like 1

Yes, I think, in general, it is outdated advice. This does not mean I think one should be chowing down on all the fat and bacon one wants.

I am more of a "as close to the tree as you can get" eater. At least I try to be. The less processed the better. I stay away from foods like fat free anything, margarine, and canola oil.

My dh has type II diabetes. He controls it with low carb and fats (coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, seeds, and nuts). This is not what the nutritionist recommended at all. He does not use splenda or other artificial sweeteners. Someone had given us a case of splenda packets that I had left in the garage for a year. The mice didn't touch it.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 2

Just the language doctors tend to use around the intersection of diet and health grates on my nerves. For example, I had ("had" because he died in middle age) a relative whose doctor said out loud with his highly-trained face that aside from a hypertension, pre-diabetes and [something] with his liver...oh and he was like 80 pounds overweight... he was "very healthy." WTF does the word health mean to that doctor?!

super....

And then, too, have you read the stuff about how it's *very* good for your body (if it is currently healthy) if you let it experience hunger every now and then?

Yeah, but this suggests that people are overweight because they aren't ever willing to go hungry.  They may be overweight because they are constantly hungry.  Why do they constantly feel hungry?

Eating fat definitely helps control my hunger.  If I eat oatmeal for breakfast I'm STARVING shortly after.  If I eat something fattier, I'm not.  This might be that this is true for some people and not others, but definitely what I'm told is the healthiest breakfast is bull squat for me.  I'd be spending a lot of time feeling very very hungry if I followed it.  And I don't have the kind of moral superiority to pull off a state of constant hunger (but hey look I'm thin).

• Like 1

I don't consider my time with a GP being specifically for diet information. She doesn't have time for that. I'd rather ask to get referred to a dietitian, then spend time discussing the details and science with this person behind various foods. I do know that our bodies need carbohydrates, fats and protein, as well as water, vitamins, minerals and fibre. The exact combination of each, and what types of fats, I'm less sure about. I'm not an expert. I'd go see an expert. This is your health and well-being for a life-time. If you want more details, get expert advice.

• Like 1

"Outdated" implies that at some point in the past eating a low-fat diet was a good idea. A better way to put it would be to say that the low-fat diet was "an example of bad science foisted on the general public" or perhaps "an experiment conducted on the entire population."

Yeah there isn't much compelling research that demonstrates the benefits of low fat.

Another one I've read a lot about lately is that it may be high sugar consumption that is the bigger culprit for cholesterol issues than eating foods with cholesterol. 

• Like 5

I don't consider my time with a GP being specifically for diet information. She doesn't have time for that. I'd rather ask to get referred to a dietitian, then spend time discussing the details and science with this person behind various foods. I do know that our bodies need carbohydrates, fats and protein, as well as water, vitamins, minerals and fibre. The exact combination of each, and what types of fats, I'm less sure about. I'm not an expert. I'd go see an expert. This is your health and well-being for a life-time. If you want more details, get expert advice.

I agree on time spent with the GP, but a lot of GPs now are telling people this stuff.  For years nobody told me anything in that department.  Now even the pediatrician makes random pointless comments.  He told my older kid to eat small portions so he doesn't gain too much weight.  Ok first off he isn't overweight.  Second, he is nearly 15.  Fifteen year old boys aren't really known for their small portion sizes.  And finally what exactly is a small portion size? 

It's just a stupid stupid pointless comment.

And ya know, my kid has some major food issues to begin with that I have told the doctor about many times and gotten ignored about.  He said it wasn't a big deal.  Now suddenly the "eat small portions" comment.

Bite me.  Now my kid is confused and upset about something he didn't have a problem with to begin with. 

I have to say though at least my husband's doctor sounds sane.  I should probably give him a try.  My husband is overweight.  Instead of telling him something that isn't going to happen (he probably isn't going to drop tons of weight quickly even if he tries) he said it wouldn't be bad to drop about 10 pounds.  That's realistic.  He didn't tell him how, but at least he didn't give him some sort of impossible goal. 

• Like 1

I think 'low fat' in general is ridiculous advice. One, because it's not defined, two, because some people hear it as 'no fat', etc. Your body NEEDS fat, all kinds, in order to function properly. If you eat too little fat, your muscles can seize, amongst other things. Your brain needs fat to process thought. The challenge, especially here in the USA, is to get people to understand balance. Balance the kinds and amounts of food you put, not just in your mouth, but into your system. Maybe if we started talking about the food we put into our system instead of into our "mouths" (because it really does affect the whole system, not just the mouth), we might pay better attention to what we're doing. But to the original question, yes, being told to follow a 'low fat' diet is outdated, IMHO.

• Like 1

Yeah, but this suggests that people are overweight because they aren't ever willing to go hungry.  They may be overweight because they are constantly hungry.  Why do they constantly feel hungry?

Oh, afaik it's (being hungry sometimes) not good for weight, specifically, but health in general. It releases a hormone (looked it up: adiponectin) that does good things.

As to why fat folks stay hungry....sometimes because their stomachs are stretched out, sometimes because theres too much sugar in the mix, sometimes b/c they are missing critical nutrients, sometimes b/c they need to eat more same as thin folks I assume.

The "missing nutrients" thing is too often over-looked in ppl of all sizes imo.

"Outdated" implies that at some point in the past eating a low-fat diet was a good idea. A better way to put it would be to say that the low-fat diet was "an example of bad science foisted on the general public" or perhaps "an experiment conducted on the entire population."

I don't think "outdated" implies that it was once good advice--to me it implies that advances in nutritional research do not support the advice. Two decades from now, much of current medical practice will be outdated because of future advances.

• Like 3

I don't think "outdated" implies that it was once good advice--to me it implies that advances in nutritional research do not support the advice. Two decades from now, much of current medical practice will be outdated because of future advances.

I've watched/read some information lately that would be pretty stunning if true.  Stunning because it basically means that the general advice given isn't based on real science at all. 

But it's hard to know what to believe.  Advice my mother was given by a trained dietician turned out to be very harmful and bad advice.  So if you can't trust a person trained in diet and nutrition, who can you trust?  She wasn't giving bad advice because she was an idiot though.  She was taught this stuff and studied it.  But where in heck did the information come from to begin with?

Now even the pediatrician makes random pointless comments. ? 

My ped told me I needed to give one DS something because he doesn't like cheese and He! Must! Have! Calcium!. I tried to explain how much yogurt, sour cream, hardy greens and bone broth he eats, so he's getting lots of calcium, for sure.

Nope! She said I should give him nesquik or milkshakes every other day. "the good thing about the nesquik is it has vitamins added." I rolled my eyes so hard that the earth shook, pretty sure.

My ped told me I needed to give one DS something because he doesn't like cheese and He! Must! Have! Calcium!. I tried to explain how much yogurt, sour cream, hardy greens and bone broth he eats, so he's getting lots of calcium, for sure.

Nope! She said I should give him nesquik or milkshakes every other day. "the good thing about the nesquik is it has vitamins added." I rolled my eyes so hard that the earth shook, pretty sure.

Oh brother.  It's a sugary drink.

This reminds me.  Growing up I do recall my mother going crazy buying cheese and making me eat it.  Must have been the "calcium" talk the pediatrician gave.  There was no indication of any sort of problem, it's just something they say.  But it goes to show that people do listen to doctors so giving them crap advice is a problem.  My mother was never very good about eating healthfully by any standard, but if a doctor told her to do something she tried to do it.

I highly recommend the documentary entitled "Fat Head," which appears to be a simple rebuttal of Supersize me, but it does an excellent job taking on the lipid hypothesis, explaining the role of cholesterol in the process:

I saw that one.  It was very good.

Another one that is good is called That Sugar Film.

• Like 1