Menu

Can you get anxiety suddenly?

lovinmyboys

My Dh, who really in general needs to worry more, has suddenly become extremely anxious in the last few days. I have never seen or heard of anything like it. Honestly, this sounds really unsympathetic, but I am about at my wits end with it. He is not anxious about anything in particular. He says he has no idea what he is anxious about, but it is definitely affecting his life.

So, my questions:

Does anxiety usually present like this? Nothing to cause it and nothing the person is anxious about?

Is it "normal" to go from no anxiety to feeling like your whole family is in danger of being killed literally overnight? And to get no relief from it?

Suggestions for relief?

And finally, how should I deal with this. I know I am not doing a very good job. Honestly, it is driving me crazy. I have felt anxious several times in my life, but there was always something I was anxious about. Part of me is really worried he has something serious going on his brain and the other part of me is annoyed. We can't have conversation because everything makes him anxious. He is acting very anxious in the middle of our family life and it makes it difficult to do family life. Is it unreasonable to expect him to "fake it" around the kids and if he can't fake it to excuse himself and go elsewhere?

I have friends who have anxiety and the way they describe it is that they worry about everything-lightning striking the house, terrorism, kids getting hit by a car, etc. That kind of anxiety I can understand. This is different.

• Like 1

This sounds like a dr. visit is in order in the very near future. And 9.5 times out of 10, I would advise or personally try other routes first.

To have a sudden and serious onset like that sounds rather unsettling. I'd get it checked ASAP.

In the meantime, to try for some relief, I'll go with my broken record recommendation of EFT - emotional freedom technique, which is clinically proven to interrupt and calm the stress response in the body.

Here are some youtube videos:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=brad%20yates%20anxiety&sm=1

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I agree it is worth checking out.

Is he panicking? (Flight, fight or freeze)

Does it come in "waves"?

When I have a panic attack it isn't really about a specific thing. My body is behaving like there is great danger.

In my non expert opinion, I think he had a panic attack possibly. I don't think he has felt full blown anxious the whole time since it started, but he also hasn't felt not anxious since it started. So, maybe in waves. Then, in between the high period of panic, I think he is anxious about feeling anxious. That is what I gather from him.

I don't know if he had fight, flight, or freeze. He just says he feels really anxious. He has stomach symptoms and nervous energy and seems to only be able to focus on his anxious feeling.

In my non expert opinion, I think he had a panic attack possibly. I don't think he has felt full blown anxious the whole time since it started, but he also hasn't felt not anxious since it started. So, maybe in waves. Then, in between the high period of panic, I think he is anxious about feeling anxious. That is what I gather from him.

I don't know if he had fight, flight, or freeze. He just says he feels really anxious. He has stomach symptoms and nervous energy and seems to only be able to focus on his anxious feeling.

While you wait to see someone you might want to read about panic attacks. Being anxious about panicking again is a thing. I developed a phobia of going a certain place because I panicked there a couple times.

Panicking feels awful.

It's nice you're looking for advice for your dh.

(hugs)

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

Just a FWIW, but anxiety isn't something you can turn on and off at will. It's a condition that is very overwhelming and very real to the person experiencing it. I doubt I'd be able to fake feeling better, I'd just have to leave the room. And no, even when my anxiety kicks in big time it's not because of anything going on that is causing it to happen. It just happens.

• Like 5

I agree it is worth checking out.

Is he panicking? (Flight, fight or freeze)

Does it come in "waves"?

When I have a panic attack it isn't really about a specific thing. My body is behaving like there is great danger.

This bolded part is precisely my experience the few times I have had a panic attack. Even if the attack was brought on by a specific event, the attack was more generally just a "flight, fight or freeze response."

Here is an example: One evening MomsintheGarden and I were driving home after dark. We had gone out and left the children at home. As we approach our home we can see the house through a vacant field. We often look to see if the lights are on to determine who has gone to bed and who is still up. On this particular night, we looked to see our house and only saw giant flames shooting up! I had an IMMEDIATE panic attack. I floored the accelerator to speed home to "fight" the fire and rescue the children. As we got closer to our home it was obvious that what we had seen was an optical illusion: Our neighbor was having a large bonfire directly between where our car was and the house. The house was completely normal. But a panic attack does not simply end instantly. It takes time for the biochemical response that was triggered to dissipate.

What I want to point out is that even though this attack had been triggered by the thought that our house was burning down and the children may have died or been injured, those ideas disappeared as soon as we saw that our house was fine. All that remained was a non-specific biochemical response. I do not have any lingering fears of the house burning down beyond what a typical parent has.

I'm going to question the bolded part because your wrote two conflictory things in the OP:

First, you wrote:

He is not anxious about anything in particular. He says he has no idea what he is anxious about, but it is definitely affecting his life.

Then you wrote:

Is it "normal" to go from no anxiety to feeling like your whole family is in danger of being killed literally overnight?

Those two statements are in direct conflict because the second one is extremely specific. Since your husband said he has no idea, perhaps the second statement was coming more from you?

If the first of the two statements is more true, than I would say your husband is having panic attacks. It is not abnormal for such attacks to come on instantly without any warning, but they can also be triggered, as I described.

OTOH, to have them in waves, one after another does not sound right to me. When I have had them, they were largely isolated events, not a stream of attacks in succession.

However, if your husband really is having ideations that "your family is in danger of being killed," then I would say that is something entirely different. In that case, you might want to seek help for your husband.

Nothing to cause it and nothing the person is anxious about?

That sounds normal to me.

And to get no relief from it?

That does not match my experience.

Suggestions for relief?

I wish I could offer something, but I have never had to "do" anything to get relief from a panic attack except wait it out.

I have friends who have anxiety and the way they describe it is that they worry about everything-lightning striking the house, terrorism, kids getting hit by a car, etc. That kind of anxiety I can understand.

Actually, that's the kind of anxiety that I DON'T understand.

This is different.

Agreed, this is different assuming your husband does not have specific fears.

And finally, how should I deal with this. I know I am not doing a very good job.

It sounds to me like you are doing a GREAT job. You are asking for others' experiences to try to determine what is normal or not normal. My recommendation is that as long as no one is in any danger to see how things go over the rest of the long weekend. If he does not have relief by Sunday, then you should seak professional help.
  • Like 2

I know it's been said above, but sudden onset of anxiety may be indicative of a serious medical issue  I would get to the doctor as soon as possible.  It would also be a good idea to re-evaluate any medications or supplements (have brands changed?) and record pulse, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. until then.  I have both thyroid and heart issues and an overwhelming sense of anxiety or doom is an early sign for me.

Hello: I believe that your DH should be seen by an M.D., ASAP and have his health evaluated.  Yes, I believe it is unreasonable for you to think/suggest that he fake it. It does not sound to me like he has P.T.S.D. (I have that), but that he has some Medical issue that is causing this. If an M.D. doesn't find something in routine lab tests, then I suggest that he be seen by a Psychiatrist, who can look for Physical causes that are causing this. For this to happen, suddenly, leads me to believe that your DH has medical problems. GL to him!

Chiming in to say, YES, he should see a dr. ASAP. Anxiety is biochemical and not only "in your head."

Being anxious about being anxious is a well-defined thing. For a few years, I could not go to the dentist without Valium because I had a panic attack there and was then anxious about having another panic attack.

You need to find some compassion for him. Anxiety is biochemical and cannot be turned off like a switch. Nobody would choose to be fearful. This is an illness and something is wrong with him. You wouldn't be annoyed with him for having cancer or diabetes, right? I would tell him, "Honey, you are really suffering with this fear. You need to go to a doctor because this is overwhelming your life and relationships. We need to find out why this is happening and treat it."

Best of luck. Anxiety is a terrible thing and I am glad I am not suffering with it at present.

• Like 3

My mother's heart issues presented as anxiety attacks. She had bradycardia because her natural pacemaker was failing. Shortly afterwards, a pacemaker was installed and she feels great.

MIL has atrial fibrillation which presents as heart palpitations and anxiety. Meds and regular exercise has helped considerably.

There are other anxiety triggers; Ottakee mentioned several.

• Like 1

Yes! I would have him go to a doctor as soon as possible. But, also wanted to say that I have had sudden onset of symptoms of anxiety 3 times. And each time it was directly related to drinking protein shakes. It's probably not relevant to your situation, but I thought it worth mentioning. It took me three times to figure it out, but now I know to avoid. Hope everything turns out well!!!

• Like 1

He went to the dr today and he gave him Lexapro. I assume he checked blood pressure and heart rate, but I know he didn't do any labs.

I am worried he may have a brain tumor (his grandma died of a brain tumor and her main symptom was sudden anxiety). Or I think it may be something gastrointestinal because he is having stomach issues. He is not worried about any of that. He is just anxious. And that is where I get hung up a little. I am worried. He, even in the middle of his anxiety, is not worried about anything.

I wish the Dr would have given him something to take that would work right away. Dh is pretty much not functioning. I feel like he is taking all this energy from me, but it isn't helping him at all. It is just leaving me tired. And that is why I am frustrated, I think.

To clarify something I said, Dh isn't actually thinking or worried that his family is going to die. I just think that is what he is acting like.

I don't know. I just hadn't heard of someone having literally no anxiety, and then having anxiety that affects their life so much and it doesn't go away for days.

• Like 1

Most of the symptoms sound like panic attacks.

I would see a Dr., but one who will look for the actual cause, not just blindly prescribe pills. (while a prescription may be necessary, I'd hesitate to walk out of a single office visit of a general practitioner with antidepressants, KWIM?)

Also, consider a chiropractor. When one of my neck vertebrae is out of alignment (the atlas) I get very weird anxiety symptoms. The first time I had it adjusted was during a very very overwhelming panic attack which had been going on for a week, and it was like literally turning off a faucet... I could FEEL the anxiety stop, like I was standing in the shower and the water turned off.

And even when I wasn't having a panic attack, for the first few weeks I spent most of my time worrying that I'd have another panic attack.

• Like 2

He went to the dr today and he gave him Lexapro. I assume he checked blood pressure and heart rate, but I know he didn't do any labs.

I am worried he may have a brain tumor (his grandma died of a brain tumor and her main symptom was sudden anxiety). Or I think it may be something gastrointestinal because he is having stomach issues. He is not worried about any of that. He is just anxious. And that is where I get hung up a little. I am worried. He, even in the middle of his anxiety, is not worried about anything.

I wish the Dr would have given him something to take that would work right away. Dh is pretty much not functioning. I feel like he is taking all this energy from me, but it isn't helping him at all. It is just leaving me tired. And that is why I am frustrated, I think.

To clarify something I said, Dh isn't actually thinking or worried that his family is going to die. I just think that is what he is acting like.

I don't know. I just hadn't heard of someone having literally no anxiety, and then having anxiety that affects their life so much and it doesn't go away for days.

He needs a brain scan ASAP. Insist. Insist. Hugs.

• Like 1

He needs a brain scan ASAP. Insist. Insist. Hugs.

That might be a good idea.  I would suggest that he have a full medical workup, supervised by a competent (Board Certified)  M.D. who is interested in helping him. Lab tests, etc.  They should look for a Physical cause for this, first.  If there is no Physical cause, then, he can be referred to a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist.  A Psychiatrist is an M.D. who can look into both his Physical and his Mental health. His Anxiety at this time may be caused by a Physical problem, or possibly not, but I think they should check him out thoroughly and that the OP should be very concerned about the health of her DH at this moment.  OT but possibly applicable is that the Holiday Season is very stressful for many people.  

• Like 1

I am worried he may have a brain tumor (his grandma died of a brain tumor and her main symptom was sudden anxiety).

Agreed with others that this is a big red flag! OTOH, taking antidepressants will not do anything except mask the symptoms.

He is not worried about any of that. He is just anxious. And that is where I get hung up a little. I am worried. He, even in the middle of his anxiety, is not worried about anything.

That sounds like the normal state of affairs around here, as well.

That's kinda what I thought might be the case.

Agreed that the fact that it didn't go away is pretty worrisome, particularly with your DH's family history. Edited by RegGuheert

Panic attacks can last days and the news around the world post election period might have been upsetting enough to trigger.

Have your husband been busy at work until this week? I know friends who can hold it together when work is very busy but once there is a downtime they have a mild attack.

I agree with a full medical exam. Just cite family history and usually the doctor won't risk it.

• Like 1

He hasn't taken any medication.

He has worked 2 pretty stressful jobs this year and he just took a big step back from one, and the other is in the slow time of year. Maybe he has just been holding it together and now that he has some down time it shows up.

His grandma was 40 years older than he is when she was diagnosed with a brain tumor, but I may suggest he get it checked out in case.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Does your husband have asthma?  I have found that using my inhaler (even when I didn't feel I needed it) will make that feeling go away.  I believe it is my body trying to tell me it needs more air or feels slightly smothered.  If I check my lung capacity before doing it, I see it is down just a bit - not dangerously low but not my normal.

Anxiety can be brought on by any number of things. When he goes to the Dr you need to go with him.

Even simple iron issues can cause anxiety, lack of Vit D, lack of exercise, issues with dairy, not sleeping properly, too much caffeine, can all cause anxiety.

The question is whether he HAS anxiety or if he is temporarily anxious as a symptom. If he has never had it before then I would think a symptom, you could muck with his vitamins and cut down on the dairy, it could help.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

About two years ago, I suddenly began to have what I thought were heart attack symptoms: difficulty breathing, pressure and pain in my chest, etc. Turns out it was anxiety. What you are describing sounds very similar to what I went through. And it is VERY difficult to deal with when our spouses are skeptical that anything is wrong. We are already anxious. Now, I know it's hard, from your perspective, to see any indication of something wrong. But it is a very real thing. So I also HIGHLY suggest he go to the doctor. Something is definitely off.

• Like 1

OP to address the title of this thread:  I have P.T.S.D. and yes I got P.T.S.D. suddenly, from an unexpected event.  I know how I got P.T.S.D.   Your question is about Anxiety. You do not know why your husband got   the Anxiety you described, or, what is causing it.  Can that begin suddenly as you described? Probably, but you need to know the cause, Physical or Mental, ASAP.  I hope you can be supportive of your DH, because it is possibly that he is very ill, with some Physical medical problem, or, that it is a Mental Health problem. They need to check for Physical causes, before assuming it is not caused by a Physical problem.  GL to your DH.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

Can he do yoga? Or can he listen to a meditation? Both can help ease the acute symptoms so he can rest a bit. My son has been diagonoised with anxiety and has to really practice mindfulness so he can learn to manage his attacks (he is also on medication). It is very hard for a loved one to stand on the side-lines feeling helpless. I wish you all the best and lots of strength.