Menu

Florida gals and SE coasters, whatcha thinking about Matthew?

Seasider

The latest track has it potentially making landfall over the Outer Banks or the mainland of eastern NC. It's a long way out yet, but a state of emergency has already been declared for over half the state. I think it's mostly to facilitate the harvesting of crops still in fields (lifting weight and other restrictions on trucks), but also for other just-in-case preparations. I'm very worried about Jamaica, and especially about Haiti.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

The latest track has it potentially making landfall over the Outer Banks or the mainland of eastern NC. It's a long way out yet, but a state of emergency has already been declared for over half the state. I think it's mostly to facilitate the harvesting of crops still in fields (lifting weight and other restrictions on trucks), but also for other just-in-case preparations. I'm very worried about Jamaica, and especially about Haiti.

When is it supposed to hit OBX? So GA is not in the path?

I sooo feel for the people of Haiti.

Alley

• Like 1

but a state of emergency has already been declared for over half the state. I think it's mostly to facilitate the harvesting of crops still in fields (lifting weight and other restrictions on trucks), 

That is really interesting.  I learn new things here all the time.  

• Like 3

Alley

The latest forecasted track I saw had it off of Myrtle Beach at 2:00 Saturday afternoon and then likely continuing north and possibly hitting somewhere on the NC coast. But it will likely change.

Alley

I think it may be too soon to exclude GA just yet. My guess is the eye will cross the coastline farther north, but it's still too early to say. NHC's predicted center track takes it up to the OBX, but the cone still includes the possibility of landfall farther south. Various string models have it making landfall earlier.

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/storms/storm3_models.html

We're in the cone of uncertainty aka cone of error. It will likely stay off the coast but give us some nasty weather at the end of the week. Probably tropical storm winds. Our governor has declared a state of emergency but that's SOP so everything can move quickly if federal help ends up being needed. It looks like it's heading to NC*. 

I feel bad for the people in the islands. There's nowhere to go. At least we can go inland or north when evacuations are necessary. 

*ETA: I'm not a meteorologist nor do I play one on tv. ;) I'm just going by the experience of 46 years living in a hurricane prone area.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Keeping an eye on this storm.  

I remember many years of my father harvesting out in the fields through the night, trying to get ahead of a hurricane. (He's now retired.)

My parents live near the Outer Banks; they're waiting to see if they'll stick it out (they usually do -- they have generators and such) or if the winds will be strong enough to warrant staying with me (middle of the state).  Last big hurricane, they had a lot of flooding -- lots of homes damaged.  Praying that doesn't repeat.

DH's roots are in the out islands of the Bahamas.

Our friends there are very, very concerned. No surprise, but the rich people there are leaving and the poor people have to stay. On the smaller islands, the water could easily overwhelm them.

DH's roots are in the out islands of the Bahamas.

Our friends there are very, very concerned. No surprise, but the rich people there are leaving and the poor people have to stay. On the smaller islands, the water could easily overwhelm them.

Yes the Bahamas are directly in the path, too. With the immediate focus on Haiti, and Cuba, we can't forget the smaller islands.

• Like 2

My mother is alone on the coast of Florida right now. Thankfully not the Atlantic side. My step father should be flying home on Friday though I think (could be Thursday). So yeah, I am worried! This isn't my mom's first trip to the rodeo but I bet she only has her car right now which is a sports car, not equipped to deal with ANY flooding. I also have a dad (I have 3 dads :) ) that owns a trailer park in Florida so I always worry about him in this sort of thing. 

I am in NJ so we are not quite in the cone yet but I have a feeling we will be feeling it. We are prepared. Last weekend I went to Big Lots and saw some "just add water" soups that could be good for this. We have charcoal grill that will turn into an oven if need be so I am not really worried about us. I will try to get laundry done on Friday and fill up my car on Saturday. That is the best I can do.

I can't imagine what it is like in Haiti right now! Those poor people! I saw that they were evacuating Gitmo, but the people in Haiti have no where to go! Prayers that it isn't as bad as we fear and God put his hand up and protected them. 

• Like 2

Yes the Bahamas are directly in the path, too. With the immediate focus on Haiti, and Cuba, we can't forget the smaller islands.

Some of the islands are just as impoverished as Haiti and are still recovering from Hurricane Joaquin.

Where we go is not as impoverished, but none of our friends and relatives are leaving. They all have jobs and are OK economically, but $5000-10000 to leave by plane today is something they can't swing. Life there is already extremely expensive. Some have boats for island-hopping, but not the type of boat to beat the storm at this point. They've weathered a lot of storms and are philosophical about it, but we're concerned.

DH's dad was a boy when the hurricane of 1932 hit the Abacos, and nearly everyone on their island lost their houses and belongings. His family nearly drowned, and he lost his baby sister when their dad was knocked out and let go of her in the surge.

I'm inland, in the Orlando area, but my parents are on a barrier island, so I'm worried for them more than me. But, they have hurricane shutters and we don't...and not a single room in my house is windowless. Plan right now is to park the van in front of the window in the kids' room. So we'd have one room that shouldn't get debris blown in. 

We do have good insurance, and I stocked up today on food, water, etc. We'll be okay, but I'm hoping it doesn't turn into weeks without power. Probably won't, but it's just too soon to know. My parents know they can stay with me or my sister if they need to evacuate. 

• Like 1

Some of the islands are just as impoverished as Haiti and are still recovering from Hurricane Joaquin.

Where we go is not as impoverished, but none of our friends and relatives are leaving. They all have jobs and are OK economically, but $5000-10000 to leave by plane today is something they can't swing. Life there is already extremely expensive. Some have boats for island-hopping, but not the type of boat to beat the storm at this point. They've weathered a lot of storms and are philosophical about it, but we're concerned.

DH's dad was a boy when the hurricane of 1932 hit the Abacos, and nearly everyone on their island lost their houses and belongings. His family nearly drowned, and he lost his baby sister when their dad was knocked out and let go of her in the surge.

I hope everyone is ok.

Nan

Oh my, such a tragedy for your father and family. I do hope you are able to hear from all your friends pretty soon after the storm passes. That not knowing because communication lines are down is gut-wrenching. Prayers all around.

• Like 1

So, my parents are gong to be under a mandatory evacuation as of this afternoon. Found a message from my mom this morning when I got up to use the potty, and she says they still have to install hardware for the hurricane shutters, secure the boat, don't have a generator anymore, have "plenty of food in the freezer" and that my Dad isn't sure he wants to leave. 

They are going to give me a heart attack. I wrote back that this pregnant lady cannot handle her parents being on a barrier island during a major hurricane, and for her to convince my Dad they have to leave. To say my sister wants him with her during the storm (they would go there), etc. 

Ugh. 

• Like 1

My parents are on the east coast of Florida. They live in a manufactured home and have put up their sutters and are moving a little inland to a friend's non-manufactured home this evening. Funny thing, these friends lived across the street from us growing up in Maryland, so they all weathered storms there together, too.

Praying for all of you.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 2

So, my parents are gong to be under a mandatory evacuation as of this afternoon. Found a message from my mom this morning when I got up to use the potty, and she says they still have to install hardware for the hurricane shutters, secure the boat, don't have a generator anymore, have "plenty of food in the freezer" and that my Dad isn't sure he wants to leave. 

They are going to give me a heart attack. I wrote back that this pregnant lady cannot handle her parents being on a barrier island during a major hurricane, and for her to convince my Dad they have to leave. To say my sister wants him with her during the storm (they would go there), etc. 

Ugh. 

I thought of you last night when I heard of the evacuation zones - almost pm'd you. My brother and sil live on a barrier island and they're coming inland today. He said they're supposed to be out by 3 (they're in Cape Canaveral). We'll be putting up our shutters today, and need to help fil get his up.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

SC schools are closed Wed-Fri and roads on the evacuation route are going to be going West bound only starting I think today.

They are saying that 100 miles off the coast to the coast is in the most danger.

We are inland (Charlotte area) but should get a lot of rain.

Our local schools have cancelled all Fri-Sun activities and travels (out of state band competition, Friday night games, etc...)

Very minor compared to living in the path, but one of my sons is supposed to fly to Tampa Friday for a wedding and the other is supposed to fly to Charleston Sat to start a new job. We,re wondering how that is going to work out. It could be worse - they could be flying a day or two earlier. At least this way, if it is going to be bad, they just won,t be able to go. Oldest,s job is on one of those ships that is held ready for emergencies like Katrina. I hope it doesn,t have to leave without him. Super grateful all my kiddos are ashore at the moment.

Nan

Very minor compared to living in the path, but one of my sons is supposed to fly to Tampa Friday

I haven't heard much about the west coast, but this storm is huge and expected to cover the entire state. I do know that a First Robotics tournament scheduled in Tampa this weekend has been canceled.

Ugh.

It is because of people like your dad why I have to drive to south Florida tomorrow to work in an emergency room. If it weren't for the diehards, those of us who work in emergency medicine could be safe at home with our families. Please tell your dad about those who are risking their lives so his frozen food can stay safe. Then tell him to leave for safety. I really do not want to meet him.

• Like 10

It is because of people like your dad why I have to drive to south Florida tomorrow to work in an emergency room. If it weren't for the diehards, those of us who work in emergency medicine could be safe at home with our families. Please tell your dad about those who are risking their lives so his frozen food can stay safe. Then tell him to leave for safety. I really do not want to meet him.

This is so true. Folks who choose to stay often put first responders in danger. Over the years I have watched several friends report for duty while their families evacuated without them.

I don't like the NHC's latest track. That beast keeps drifting west. Looks like he's going to scrape the coast but then head back out to the Atlantic. I'm not sure how warm Atlantic waters still are at that latitude, but I sure hope Matthew doesn't pull an Andrew and make a double whammy landfall.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 5

I thought of you last night when I heard of the evacuation zones - almost pm'd you. My brother and sil live on a barrier island and they're coming inland today. He said they're supposed to be out by 3 (they're in Cape Canaveral). We'll be putting up our shutters today, and need to help fil get his up.

Yeah, they are supposed to be out of there by 3pm as well. But they won't be. 

Just talked to my mom. Won't lie, I ended up in tears, but whatever works. Got her to promise that if it stays this strong, and on this path, they will get out. Otherwise, they were going to stay! "our neighbor is staying". Like I care about their neighbor! I almost said "If your neighbor jumped off a cliff, would you?" lol. 

But yeah, I did get her to promise that if it is a Cat 3 or above, they will get out. Sigh. Parents!!!

Well, he'd probably just stay bleeding in his house rather than go to the ER, lol...he's that stubborn. But I pulled the "I'm pregnant and worrying isn't good for the baby" card with my mom, and got her to promise to leave if it stays like this. Probably won't leave till tomorrow early morning, but should still be clear enough at this point. 

And they know better. My uncle was in Miami near the very center of where Andrew hit. They know what these storms can do! So frustrated with them. If it was a Cat 1, whatever. Wouldn't worry, they have shutters, etc. But a Cat 3 or more, on an island? You get the hell out!

This is so true. Folks who choose to stay often put first responders in danger. Over the years I have watched several friends report for duty while their families evacuated without them.

I don't like the NHC's latest track. That beast keeps drifting west. Looks like he's going to scrape the coast but then head back out to the Atlantic. I'm not sure go warm Atlantic waters still are at that latitude, but I sure hope Matthew doesn't pull an Andrew and make a double whammy landfall.

Crap, hadn't even thought of that! Sigh, another thing to worry about. 

Crap, hadn't even thought of that! Sigh, another thing to worry about.

Prayers for your folks, Katie, and for you and your immediate family. We rode out one direct hit hurricane in the laundry room because it was the only room without a window, and I was greatly pregnant. Not fun but it can be done. We are out of the direct path of Matthew but where the rains will go remains to be seen, TS precipitation can cause lots of trouble. I'm hoping the Atlantic is too chilly and Matthew will turn aside and fall apart.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I haven't heard much about the west coast, but this storm is huge and expected to cover the entire state. I do know that a First Robotics tournament scheduled in Tampa this weekend has been canceled.

Just heard they are trying to decide whether to cancel the wedding. And I thought the homemade wedding reception in my sister,s yard in the May blizzard was bad!

Nan

• Like 4

The island I used to live on has mandatory evacuation starting at three today.  We lived there when Tropical Storm Fay hit and stayed directly over our area.  That was just a tropical storm and the storm surge that occurred on the river on the other side of the island caused problems with getting rid of waste water.  We had a river on our street and people kayaked on it.  But that was not a Hurricane three or four.  The storm surge doesn't just affect the ocean, it acts on the rivers too and they are expecting about a three to five foot surge.  On the part of the island I was living on, that may not have caused flooding though it might have.  On other parts of that island, it will definitely cause flooding if that surge develops.  

• Like 2

I feel pretty helpless being in Northern Illinois while so much of my family does storm prep. Dd has shuttered their house (Port St. Lucie) and has headed to Atlanta to stay with inlaws. Nephew has shuttered his (Satellite Beach) and headed to my sister's house in the center of the state. Sis also has a condo near the beach in Jacksonville so we hope it's ok.  MIL and FIL are building a house on the water in Brunswick, Ga and they're trying to get that secured. Lots of construction materials and the windows aren't in yet.  

Wish I could have helped all of them...and I hope the storm starts losing intensity. Stay safe, boardies!

• Like 3

Tropical weather in my forecast but it appears Matthew will turn east so that we won't be subjected to hurricane force winds. 

What is incredibly bizarre is that some of the models have this storm circling around and entering Florida after it does a loop over the Atlantic. Everyone in the Southeast needs to keep an eye on the update of this storm. Don't expect "normal" hurricane behavior.

• Like 6

I live near and teach high school in the Orlando area. Schools in central Florida are closed Thursday and Friday. I am concerned about wind damage and losing power. My students, of course, are thrilled with the time off. 

Edited by leeannpal
  • Like 1

Hilton Head is under evacuation as of 3pm today.  My parents left at 4:30am and got to Augusta early.  They said traffic at that point was normal but ramping up.  Not sure what normal is for 4:30 though.  

We are on the west coast so had not heard much about the hurricane other than there was one.  But we never really worry about them as the coastline is so far west there, they really never have problems.  The text saying they were evacuating was somewhat of a shock.   They always talk about how if something comes through there it could be bad since HH only has a ten foot elevation.  (I think it hits 13 feet on a few golf tee offs.  But that is it.)  But since nothing ever comes that far west...yada, yada, yada.  So a little surprised.

• Like 1

The island I used to live on has mandatory evacuation starting at three today.  We lived there when Tropical Storm Fay hit and stayed directly over our area.  That was just a tropical storm and the storm surge that occurred on the river on the other side of the island caused problems with getting rid of waste water.  We had a river on our street and people kayaked on it.  But that was not a Hurricane three or four.  The storm surge doesn't just affect the ocean, it acts on the rivers too and they are expecting about a three to five foot surge.  On the part of the island I was living on, that may not have caused flooding though it might have.  On other parts of that island, it will definitely cause flooding if that surge develops.  

Exactly! My mom tried to claim that they won't have flooding because any rain just goes into the canal. Um...the one connected to the ocean, where the storm surge will be coming from????

Ugh. I'm very glad I'm pregnant, and that I can pull the "I'm going to worry and that isn't good for baby" card on them. Because seriously!

• Like 1

Tropical weather in my forecast but it appears Matthew will turn east so that we won't be subjected to hurricane force winds.

What is incredibly bizarre is that some of the models have this storm circling around and entering Florida after it does a loop over the Atlantic. Everyone in the Southeast needs to keep an eye on the update of this storm. Don't expect "normal" hurricane behavior.

This is what I fear - horribly raking the coast, then rebounding and coming across the peninsula. Blech. The latest NHC actually shows the eye hitting the coast around the Cape.

Yes, I am praying for your parents too. 

One of my dear friend's parents almost died from the Louisiana flooding last month.  They were in an area not considered a flood risk and the water came up so fast.  They escaped in their car which was on a levee but then that car was getting flooded and these elderly people had to break a window and swim out in the dark.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Just the amount of fear they had to feel. 

This is what I fear - horribly raking the coast, then rebounding and coming across the peninsula. Blech. The latest NHC actually shows the eye hitting the coast around the Cape.

My parents are just north of the Cape. My dad is a Native Floridian and this is one of the first hurricanes he's ever prepared for.

I live in south Florida and we're under Hurricane Warning as well. Schools are closed tomorrow and Friday and all of the kids church, dance and scouting activities have been cancelled through Friday. I went out earlier today and every gas station I passed either had an incredibly long line or was out of gas completely. My DH had to go to three different stores just to get water this morning. He said that gas stations even had lines at 5:45am. 

I just returned from a treasure hunt. Yesterday dh told me we had all the batteries we need, but texted me today while I was out and asked me to get D batteries. We have some small portable fans that use D. I went to 4 stores then started hitting convenience stores. I finally found them at the 3rd convenience store I tried.

The ATM at my Publix ran out of cash - everyone was probably trying to avoid lines at the bank. I went to the bank and there was no line. I left the drive through window with my cash in less than 5 minutes.

• Like 5

Kathy, will you all be putting up shutters or boarding up windows?  I guess with being inland you still are at risk of power outages and wind problems and excessive rain issues but not the storm surge and the wind should be less, right?

Yes, we put them up today as did several other people you knew from when you lived here. We have a few more small preparations to make, which we'll finish tomorrow morning. My city is fairly well protected from storm surge by the cape and the island where Katie's parents live, but you're right. Wind, lots of rain, and power outages will be our biggest problems.

Where you used to live is under an evacuation order and the people we know who live there either have left or are leaving early tomorrow. 

Oh Katie...  Saying a prayer your parents come to their senses and get out before the bridges close.

The good news: My sister needs them to babysit while she works at the shelter (it's at the school she works at) so they will go there tomorrow morning. 

The bad news: My sister's idea of hurricane prep was a bottle of wine and a 12 pack of water. Oh, and cheetos. No flashlights, she doesn't have a grill, no ice, when I suggested she empt the ice maker in her freezer into ziplock bags and keep doing that until the storm hits, she said ice just melts in the coolers and gets icky. She's planning on McDonalds probably reopening quickly. Which it may. Or may not. 

So yeah. Now I get why my parents wanted to stay home. 

• Like 1

The good news: My sister needs them to babysit while she works at the shelter (it's at the school she works at) so they will go there tomorrow morning.

The bad news: My sister's idea of hurricane prep was a bottle of wine and a 12 pack of water. Oh, and cheetos. No flashlights, she doesn't have a grill, no ice, when I suggested she empt the ice maker in her freezer into ziplock bags and keep doing that until the storm hits, she said ice just melts in the coolers and gets icky. She's planning on McDonalds probably reopening quickly. Which it may. Or may not.

So yeah. Now I get why my parents wanted to stay home.

Only one bottle of wine?! She needs at least 6. :)

I hope your parents know better how to prep, and will make sure they all have what they need.

And that all of you stay safe. Thinking of you all.

• Like 2

Oh, no!  Do they at least have enough gas to come to your house when they power is knocked out for 3 days?

Yes, she does have gas. And I found out my parents are bringing all the contents of their freezer and fridge, although she has no way to heat anything if she loses power. I'm about another 40-45 minutes west, and they can come here to cook. Or go buy a grill if stores open up, which I wouldn't put past my Dad.