Menu

Florida gals and SE coasters, whatcha thinking about Matthew?

Seasider

we have power, but a friend a few blocks away does not. Just sent hubby to bring her a bag of ice, as she has a cooler, but no ice. And he's taking our bottled water to an out of state friend's grandparents in Deltona area tomorrow. They lost water today, and have only a few bottles. We have plenty, so he'll take it up there. 

• Like 4

An old friend from high school lives in Edgewater. I texted her but haven't heard from her. She might not have power or internet.

They don't. And cell phones are out in places. i have zero cell phone coverage, even though it says I do on my phone. 

• Like 2

My mother said it was due to hit Hilton Head right at high tide, so with only 10' of elevation that does not bode well for HH.  Plus her phone was binging all day with tornado warnings it sounds like as well. 

But I found a way to take her mind off the hurricane. 

Me:  I spoke to Corey today. 

Mom: You talked to your brother? 

Me:  Mother, we are the adult children of elderly parents who were forced to evacuate their home as a hurricane heads at them.  Of course I talked to my brother. 

Mom:  ELDERLY!!!!

And BOOM!  Suddenly she is not focusing as much on the hurricane!  LOL! 

My BFF pointed out that geriatric comes after elderly, so saving that one in case I need it for tomorrow... 

Edited by Renthead Mommy
  • Like 16

i'm fine. Some roof damage but it is minor. Will call someone on Monday to look at it. Some tree branches down. Never lost power. My aunt's home is totally flooded...as is the duplex she owns and rents out. My friend in St Augustine is on her way back now, they know there is at least some interior flooding from photos their neighbors took. My other friend was in Neptune Beach and just found out her house was NOT flooded, which is a huge relief. 

• Like 5

Dh and ds spent the day cutting up a tree and a large tree branch and hauling the pieces to the curb. I went around the yard collecting stray branches unrelated to the trees they were cutting up. I ended up with three huge piles. We're not done. More work to be done tomorrow and there are still numerous fence sections to be fixed or replaced. That pretty much describes how everyone in our neighborhood and most of our friends spent their Saturday. But we're all fine.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

We're in Orlando, so pretty far inland. We haven't found any damage or issues at all. I walked some of the neighborhood with my dog this morning, and there seem to be a lot of people doing basic clean-up, sweeping up fallen branches and such. We also saw several fences missing panels, but no significant damage.

We did lose power for several hours, but it was back on before we expected it. 

I spent some time this morning putting back the potted plants and other items we had moved to the sun room. I cleaned out, refilled and replaced the bird feeders and was delighted to see cardinals partaking within an hour.

• Like 6

We are Between Charleston and Savannah and almost all of the county is without power. We evacuated to inland GA and have no idea when we will be allowed back in. I want to go home but I'd also like power so I guess I'll stay. Someone took a video through the neighborhood and it fared well and our house looks good from the front at least so I'm thankful for that!

• Like 7

My mom lives on the southern coast of NC, and there are a lot of flooding reports. She is safe inland, but even there the power is now out.

The most recent tweet I saw from NC EMS says around 680,000 customers are w/o power. I think it was far worse (especially the amount of rain) than expected in the eastern and central parts of the state.

• Like 2

The most recent tweet I saw from NC EMS says around 680,000 customers are w/o power. I think it was far worse (especially the amount of rain) than expected in the eastern and central parts of the state.

Absolutely. The NC /SC border area got far more flooding than was anticipated.

• Like 3

Absolutely. The NC /SC border area got far more flooding than was anticipated.

Not just the border  or coastal area either.  We were supposed to be in NC yesterday and today as hubby and many of his high school friends were going to get together (east of Raleigh).  We (all) had to call it off after seeing Friday's predictions, and yesterday ended up even worse than predicted.  His favorite restaurant is under water - and more.  It's an area where 95 (and other roads) have been closed.  His friends there say it's worse than the flooding from Floyd several years back.

I feel for them all.  For us it's merely a cancelled trip that will be rescheduled.  Some of them are in the impacted areas.  Everyone knows someone who is.

• Like 5

Not just the border or coastal area either. We were supposed to be in NC yesterday and today as hubby and many of his high school friends were going to get together (east of Raleigh). We (all) had to call it off after seeing Friday's predictions, and yesterday ended up even worse than predicted. His favorite restaurant is under water - and more. It's an area where 95 (and other roads) have been closed. His friends there say it's worse than the flooding from Floyd several years back.

I feel for them all. For us it's merely a cancelled trip that will be rescheduled. Some of them are in the impacted areas. Everyone knows someone who is.

And yet, Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake all played home football games yesterday. How crazy was that??!!

• Like 3

And yet, Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake all played home football games yesterday. How crazy was that??!!

We watched the UNC/VT game on TV (being VT alum).  Seeing the weather there and the radar, I couldn't believe the game was still on.  I had assumed they wouldn't play with the forecast.

I loved the outcome, but seriously, they should have postponed or outright cancelled IMO.  I think they really underestimated what the rain could do - and the travel needs of everyone.

I was watching the Weather Channel and they were talking to the Governor of NC. He was commenting on two things. One apparently a girl was in her car and there was floodingr ahead. She was on Facebook talking about it and friends urged her to not go into the water. She ignored their pleas and went ahead filming the flooding. She died.

He also commented that football games should have been canceled. Apparently one group of four went to the Duke game and returning home encountered the floods. Three escaped the car and lived and one died in the car. Flood waters are so dangerous. Please everyone in the area- stay safe.

• Like 4

I was watching the Weather Channel and they were talking to the Governor of NC. He was commenting on two things. One apparently a girl was in her car and there was floodingr ahead. She was on Facebook talking about it and friends urged her to not go into the water. She ignored their pleas and went ahead filming the flooding. She died.

He also commented that football games should have been canceled. Apparently one group of four went to the Duke game and returning home encountered the floods. Three escaped the car and lived and one died in the car. Flood waters are so dangerous. Please everyone in the area- stay safe.

I saw the same thing and had the same thoughts.

I think they need to use some of these IRL examples (with actual names withheld) as warnings for folks in the future, esp the filming one, but those in charge of cancelling/running (or going to) events need to know about the latter one too.  It might make the difference for some folks next time - esp anyone thinking of filming themselves driving through water.   :glare:

As I commented upthread, drenching, flooding TS rain is often more devastating than the direct impact of a hurricane. I am so sorry there's been so much of it, I was hopeful that Matthew would take the coast but then carry on. I am glad that it's gone out to sea and not taken the previously forecasted southward loop. I hate to hear of storm related deaths, especially the type creekland described, preventable. My prayers are with those without power, and flooded, and for the long road of recovery ahead. So many in Louisiana are just getting their restoration work underway; it's no quick process.

I just read that the name Matthew has been officially retired due to the level of death and destruction it caused.

Now to watch Nichole. All that empty water in the Atlantic, and she's making a beeline for little Bermuda.

• Like 3

So my parents were able to find out that it appears there are NO trees on their house.  We just need to find out if the flooding in the street made it into the house. 

However I have found out that part of "hurricane prep" to my mother means moving her whole wine rack.  She claimed it was incase any of the reds were broken, it would be one less thing to deal with in a house with white carpet and white tile.  But I find it very interesting that she moved it all and choose to put it in the bathtub.  The bathtub that would probably be in the safest room in the house. 

So protecting her carpet, or protecting her wine stash?  Hmmmm......

• Like 4

Wow...just catching up here after days without power and then just getting our wifi back. There are still a few in my area without power but most folks are back on. Days 1-3 without power & water were okay but by Day 4, I was downright cranky. And then no wifi! Eegads I've torn through my data this month!

But I am counting my blessings because although we had about 17 huge oak trees down in my little neighborhood of a few streets, and though we have more trees on our lot than anyone else in the neighborhood, we had no trees down. Tons to clean up but no house damage so I feel we came through well. St Augustine is drying out but the downtown businesses got hit badly. 

How did everyone else do? I think I heard NC rivers are still cresting? 

• Like 6